• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Two Words

So what are good exercises to improve pull ups? After failing to do even 1, I'm just totally depressed.
Lateral pull downs or weight-assisted pull ups. Don't worry about not being able to do a pull up. They are pretty hard and you gotta be in shape to do them. Nathan Drake must have crazy lats.

Lateral pull downs or weight-assisted pull ups. Don't worry about not being able to do a pull up. They are pretty hard and you gotta be in shape to do them. Nathan Drake must have crazy lats.
Man I must be doing something wrong. I can do about 210 on the lat pull down. I haven't tried the assisted pull up. To be honest I just tried by trying to lift myself using my door to pull up on. I'm too embarrassed to try and do pull ups at the gym. Maybe I'll try doing them at the jungle gym early morning... :'v
I'm not in shape, I have lost 60lbs though! So I'm getting there.

Two Words

Man I must be doing something wrong. I can do about 210 on the lat pull down. I haven't tried the assisted pull up. To be honest I just tried by trying to lift myself using my door to pull up on. I'm too embarrassed to try and do pull ups at the gym. Maybe I'll try doing them at the jungle gym early morning... :'v
I'm not in shape, I have lost 60lbs though! So I'm getting there.
Are you pulling down more than you weigh?

Two Words

Yeah, but maybe it's not enough, currently weigh 184. Ill see how it goes at the jungle gym with a better bar. I was just using the top of my door as a ledge :/
You might be cheating on your lat pull downs. Do you let your body lean back as you do them? That allows your body weight to help pull down the bar.

You might be cheating on your lat pull downs. Do you let your body lean back as you do them? That allows your body weight to help pull down the bar.
I try to stay firm and use my arms. Yeah I know that if I lean I'm using my weight as a crutch so I try to avoid that and sit straight. Does it make a difference if it's a bar or hand grips? I think that might be the problem.
I also do about 180 when using one arm but that probably doesn't matter due to the machine helping out with the resistance... Maybe.
I've been using something more like this
Lat-Pull-Down-Machine.jpg

Maybe that's why, I should go back to using the regular bar pull down machine.

Cooper

So what are good exercises to improve pull ups? After failing to do even 1, I'm just totally depressed.

The setup exercise that worked to get me to a few pull-ups was inverted rows. The Smith machine makes it really east to adjust the bar height, and thus the difficulty. I started with the bar pretty high, just below my shoulders when standing. Each time I could get to 3x10 rows, I lowered the bar a notch. Eventually I moved to chin-ups and then pull-ups. I still perform inverted rows regularly.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Honestly the best thing you can do is lower your body fat percentage. The next thing is working on negative pull ups and doing other back exercises to build those muscles. You can throw in assisted pull ups with a person manually assisting you giving you just enough to get moving up. Eventually with consistent practice they become a piece of cake.

No Love

Banned
I try to stay firm and use my arms. Yeah I know that if I lean I'm using my weight as a crutch so I try to avoid that and sit straight. Does it make a difference if it's a bar or hand grips? I think that might be the problem.
I also do about 180 when using one arm but that probably doesn't matter due to the machine helping out with the resistance... Maybe.
I've been using something more like this

Maybe that's why, I should go back to using the regular bar pull down machine.

You shouldn't really even be using your arms. Your arms should be more like levers that pull and transfer the force to your lats as you pull and squeeze them inwards.

Cooter

You shouldn't really even be using your arms. Your arms should be more like levers that pull and transfer the force to your lats as you pull and squeeze them inwards.
Any excuse to work my bis is welcomed! My arms burn after I'm done with hi rep pull ups.

JoeNut

Is decline bench supposed to be easier than flat or was I just feeling extra strong yesterday? Couldn't get on the flat so decided I'd do decline as nobody uses it, and It seemed so much easier, got 8 reps out on my last set of 5x5 cos it seemed too easy

Pachimari

Today, I am gonna start eating just pure white chicken meat with vegetables every day for the next 2 months, and mix it up with fruit throughout my days. So that I will drop my weight from 80kg to 65kg, and then I'll start shaping my body and muscles at the gym too.

For my 3 sets of deadlifts today, I tried 3 different kinds of reps.

On my first set, I did each rep so that the weight would almost touch the ground before raising back up.

On my second set, I let the weight rest on the ground before lifting again. I did not reset my body to a standing position between each rep.

On the third set, I did each rep entirely separately. So I would start each rep standing up, bend down to grab the weight. Lift myself up. Put the weight down. Stand back up without the weights.

I preferred the third set by far, largely because I felt like the first and second method were really testing my grip strength too much. I was almost worried that my grip would give out before my back or legs tired out, especially on the first set. So which way will deliver the best results?

I'd say the second type, but there's really no harm in the third type, it'll just take longer (you'll be able to lift more by default too because you're essentially doing singles). The first type isn't a deadlift at all.

On the subject of grip, I'm going to have to go back to straps. My broken little finger has refused to heal so I can't pull on it for any significant amount of time. Is massively holding back my pull exercises.

Is decline bench supposed to be easier than flat or was I just feeling extra strong yesterday? Couldn't get on the flat so decided I'd do decline as nobody uses it, and It seemed so much easier, got 8 reps out on my last set of 5x5 cos it seemed too easy

I find it easier, but I'm an odd case when it comes to bench.

Striek

It's just my luck to post this at the bottom of the page. I'm gonna repost this like an asshole since I'd really like an answer on it.

If you're doing a proper deadlift you should be lifting deadweight. So the second. Pause at the bottom, no momentum.
The first you can use on Romanian deadlifts (lifting from the rack, start rep at top, go down to your natural limit), or stiff-legged deads which is accessory work, otherwise you're better off doing a barbell row.
The third you're basically just doing rapid sets of singles, which is fine, but obviously not anywhere near as challenging.

Edit: Beaten, but on grip you can use chalk, use alternate grip and/or try adjusting your wrists slightly inward. At low weights your grip strength probably wont be a limiting factor though.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Today, I am gonna start eating just pure white chicken meat with vegetables every day for the next 2 months, and mix it up with fruit throughout my days. So that I will drop my weight from 80kg to 65kg, and then I'll start shaping my body and muscles at the gym too.
You should probably do some sort of training alongside your diet. Also, is that really a diet you can stick to? Sounds hellishly boring unless done right.

Pachimari

You should probably do some sort of training alongside your diet. Also, is that really a diet you can stick to? Sounds hellishly boring unless done right.

I think so, if I am mixing up the vegetables. But yes, I am working out in the gym at the same time.

mdsfx

Came across this article that was out to prove how much healthier natural peanut butter is than the usual stuff with oil, sugar, salt, etc, but I found myself kind of annoyed. Yes, it has extra crap (and not good crap) in the peanut butter, but the amount of those ingredients is pretty small when 90% of the product is peanuts. It's not a night and day nutritional difference.

Take this quote for instance:

"The idea that natural peanut butter and regular kraft, jiffy, or skippy “smooth creamy” peanut butter are the same thing drives meeeee nuts!! (pun intended) Educating yourself is key to improving your health and well-being. Always reading the nutrition facts label is the best way to get started."

Ok then, let's look at that label:

So the only thing I see here other than a negligible amount of sugar (for me anyway) is 60mg of sodium. 60mg? I just don't see the issue here. Now maybe there is an argument for the quality of a small percentage of the fat, since a small portion of it is coming from refined/shitty oil, but honestly the trade off here doesn't seem worth it. I love the taste and texture of basic peanut butter.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Came across this article that was out to prove how much healthier natural peanut butter is than the usual stuff with oil, sugar, salt, etc, but I found myself kind of annoyed. Yes, it has extra crap (and not good crap) in the peanut butter, but the amount of those ingredients is pretty small when 90% of the product is peanuts. It's not a night and day nutritional difference.

"The idea that natural peanut butter and regular kraft, jiffy, or skippy “smooth creamy” peanut butter are the same thing drives meeeee nuts!! (pun intended) Educating yourself is key to improving your health and well-being. Always reading the nutrition facts label is the best way to get started."

So the only thing I see here other than a negligible amount of sugar (for me anyway) is 60mg of sodium. 60mg? I just don't see the issue here. Now maybe there is an argument for the quality of a small percentage of the fat, since a small portion of it is coming from refined/shitty oil, but honestly the trade off here doesn't seem worth it. I love the taste and texture of basic peanut butter.

You're forgetting the calories you expend stirring the crap out of all natural peanut butter to get the oil mixed in. Also the reduction in fat calories when you splash oil all over your counter.

mdsfx

You're forgetting the calories you expend stirring the crap out of all natural peanut butter to get the oil mixed in. Also the reduction in fat calories when you splash oil all over your counter.
Lol so much truth. I ate natural PB for a long time. The struggle to keep the oil mixed was real.

BumRush

Happy late Father's Day FitGaf! Nothing new on my front. Still going to the gym without any clear goals besides maintaining what I have. I really need to set some ASAP. My daughter is cruising right along so that's been rewarding.

Squat-115x3
DL-205x1
Bench-85x3
OHP-55x3

Insane numbers for her man. Well done!

I do lat pull down tri-sets:

8 reps close grip, palms facing forward
8 reps close grip, palms facing you
8 reps wide grip, palms facing forward

That's one set

Cedric

Any tips for a casual gym goer that wants to jump higher? I started going to the gym 3x per week about a month ago, I do squats every workout. Any basic exercices I should keep in mind?

Not sure if the deal is still going on, or if it's a store to store thing

But Costco is selling Pollock patties buy one get one free. 9g fat, 18g protein, 5g carbs

dankir

Didn't know there was a new thread so anybody who wants to be inspired you need to check out Clarence0 channel.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT....strongest guy I've ever seen foe his weight class.

573 lb paused ATG back squats RAW??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-CU9_GUd4

728 lb deadlift, RAW WITH hook grip in Olympic shoes???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ZZSpSSm68

551 lb paused front squat, RAW?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zXlyHoDaAE

496 lb clean?? RAW???????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIHZUR67JsY

Fucking incredible and he's so young too, just incredible.

Yeah, Im trying to figure what I'm doing wrong. When doing lat pull downs I can feel more than just my arm muscles working. But for some reason when I try pull ups, only my arms are working and don't feel my lats doing work. I can't figure it out. I'm just randomly trying to pull myself up during work today whenever I'm alone near a ledge lol

I do lat pull down tri-sets:

8 reps close grip, palms facing forward
8 reps close grip, palms facing you
8 reps wide grip, palms facing forward

That's one set
Ok I'll try this along with the reverse stuff.

I guess you can say the additives...

...amount to peanuts.

*dons glasses*

dankir

All of those videos of Clarence Kennedy is also post-knee surgery. You can read more about it in the interview he had with AllThingsGym. http://www.allthingsgym.com/clarence-kennedy-interview-2015/

He's one of the several guys I follow in weightlifting two years ago, too bad he hasn't been posting a lot recently. Very popular person in /r/weightlifting because he's really strong.

That's an understatement, yesterday I did 385lb deadlift raw and then I saw his 728 lb lift at 220 lbs ( I weigh 233 ) and I feel like I accomplished nothing.

But goddamn now that I think about it this is the most motivating shit I've ever seen in my life.

Chocobro

That's an understatement, yesterday I did 385lb deadlift raw and then I saw his 728 lb lift at 220 lbs ( I weigh 233 ) and I feel like I accomplished nothing.

But goddamn now that I think about it this is the most motivating shit I've ever seen in my life.

Yeah it is an understatement heh; I just watch too many elite level weightlifters. Just need to keep in mind how long he's been lifting and his background. He's been athletic for most of his life. He did parkour and freerunning, then tricking, and finally got into weightlifting. So his level of flexibility and spatial-awareness is high already.
Assuming I remember all the info right, at age 18 (2012), his snatch and CNJ was around 150kg and 185kg, respectively. He's been training the lifts for four years, so he's been doing weightlifting since 14 (2008). Two of the four years were proper training. Approximately eight years of weightlifting to this date. I'm sure a lot of us can reach high numbers if we trained for that long, lifted once or twice a day, seven days a week, etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All of those videos of Clarence Kennedy is also post-knee surgery. You can read more about it in the interview he had with AllThingsGym. http://www.allthingsgym.com/clarence-kennedy-interview-2015/

He's one of the several guys I follow in weightlifting two years ago, too bad he hasn't been posting a lot recently. Very popular person in /r/weightlifting because he's really strong.

Too bad about the knee. That training schedule he was on was insane.

I looked him up and apparently he was pretty good at tricking before he seriously got into weight lifting. Maybe we can get a collaboration with him and jujimufu someday!

Cooter

The 2 benches were taken today so I did flat DB. Haven't done it in over a year but still got 140x3x3. Pretty happy with that.

So how many inverted rows should one be able to do? I did several sets, breathing a bit heavily but it wasn't too bad, which makes me wonder if I'm doing pull-ups totally wrong, I need to play with it and see how I can get those lats in use.

How do you guys find time while life is going on???

I've had numerous relatives/friends visit me in Bmore and it's been throwing off my gym schedule.

Hopefully next month I can be more consistent once summer holidays start to wind down.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Didn't know there was a new thread so anybody who wants to be inspired you need to check out Clarence0 channel.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT....strongest guy I've ever seen foe his weight class.

He's certainly strong as he was saucing hard post injury and lifting at close to 105kg. I think he took a break recently?

To see what some world class lifters can do while untested by WADA/USADA...

Sohrab Moradi

@96kg 200kg snatch & 240kg C&J which would be a 105kg world record total...

https://youtu.be/vPP4Beh_Le0

His 310kg pause squat at 85kg

https://youtu.be/IVzWtvUdeuk

Tian Tao

270kg x 6 in sleeves @85kg

https://youtu.be/6fjRnMS1xbc

Akkaev

@105kg 210kg snatch 245kg C&J

https://youtu.be/K1oVC9_qxl8

Ilya Ilyin

290kg front squat

https://youtu.be/XJyNgHH4anY

...then there's Jesse Norris who is on another level.

Cooter

Shit. Passed out on the couch last night and only had 1,000 calories and 105gs of protein all day. :<

I'm doing the SS alt full body program and added Abdominal work for one of the three days. Will it be ok to add it to all three days or should I keep it at one?

Cooter

I'm doing the SS alt full body program and added Abdominal work for one of the three days. Will it be ok to add it to all three days or should I keep it at one?
You can do them everyday if you want. Maybe keep the weighted ab work to 3-4 times a week though.

Top Bottom