• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Will lifting weights help me lose the fat from the sides of my stomach?

I know running would be the best, but I dread mixing my lifting and cardio.

SeanR1221

Man, I haven't posted here in a while. After I was getting all that leg pain, I took a week off, felt like shit, went back to just upper body stuff and still feel like Im in a slump not doing legs.

Time to shake it off and just keep moving on. I'm seeing the ortho on Monday (the earliest they can fit me in) but talking to a doctor friend, it sounds like a slipped disc pressing on a nerve from the accident. Hurts the most when I hip hinge.

So until I can recover, Im focusing on bench, close grip, incline and ohp. Volume volume volume.

On the bright side, I woke up at 177 this morning. A new all time low. And thats eating a chicken parm hoagie and ice cream cookie sandwich yesterday. Maybe my legs are atrophying and thats why Im losing weight ;)

Anyway, time to man up and be consistent

Two Words

As my weights are increasing on my lifts, I'm noticing that my grip is not keeping up. I'm feeling a lot more straining on my hands now. And my fingers will feel really locked up after some sets. I don't think I'm hurting my hands. It's more like the muscles in my hands won't relax.

Szu

Man, I haven't posted here in a while. After I was getting all that leg pain, I took a week off, felt like shit, went back to just upper body stuff and still feel like Im in a slump not doing legs.

Time to shake it off and just keep moving on. I'm seeing the ortho on Monday (the earliest they can fit me in) but talking to a doctor friend, it sounds like a slipped disc pressing on a nerve from the accident. Hurts the most when I hip hinge.

So until I can recover, Im focusing on bench, close grip, incline and ohp. Volume volume volume.

On the bright side, I woke up at 177 this morning. A new all time low. And thats eating a chicken parm hoagie and ice cream cookie sandwich yesterday. Maybe my legs are atrophying and thats why Im losing weight ;)

Well, this has motivated me to get my numb ass back into it.

That's actually my main nagging issue right now. If I walk for a few mins, then I start to feel discomfort near the area at the top of my glutes. Then, I get numb down my left leg.

I blame squats for my current predicament. My booty bump probably put my spine in an awkward position when I sleep on my back. :p

KillerBEA

As my weights are increasing on my lifts, I'm noticing that my grip is not keeping up. I'm feeling a lot more straining on my hands now. And my fingers will feel really locked up after some sets. I don't think I'm hurting my hands. It's more like the muscles in my hands won't relax.

Pretty normal that grip starts to fall behind, it's the weakest link in the Deadlift chain quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4JOTmA8Pts

mdsfx

Current status:

Bad rotator cuff
Injured 5th metatarsal
Fucking hemorrhoids
All lifts down substantially from cut
Did I mention hemorrhoids?

It's been a pretty fun 2-3 weeks.

lenovox1

Will lifting weights help me lose the fat from the sides of my stomach?

I know running would be the best, but I dread mixing my lifting and cardio.

You'll lose weight once you eat less. You can't spot reduce. Monitor your macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein). Etc, etc, etc.

KillerBEA

Squats were fucking brutal today. Front Squats weren't that bad but the 4 sets of 3 for 220 Back Squats were really hard. Surprised I even had the gas in me to grind 240 for a single after that.

Dany

Banned
Been feeling really great with all the progress I've made since January. It also helps I'm stressed and starving myself through shifts. Been getting a lot of compliments from classmates, coworkers and even patients. lmao. an old patient keeps asking me to marry whichever nurse she has.
Current status:

Fucking hemorrhoids.

giphy.gif

demented

Right so after the short trip first workout last night and I somehow managed to pull a muscle, I think it's left lats during chinups. It started slowly and now it hurts when I rotate my back and on various movements. Lessened a bit as day goes on but fml, not sure if I'll be able to go to gym tomorrow.
Had to cut it short yday too... Any advise how to fix this besides resting? There's no pain on touch

SeanR1221

Well, this has motivated me to get my numb ass back into it.

That's actually my main nagging issue right now. If I walk for a few mins, then I start to feel discomfort near the area at the top of my glutes. Then, I get numb down my left leg.

I blame squats for my current predicament. My booty bump probably put my spine in an awkward position when I sleep on my back. :p

Current status:

Bad rotator cuff
Injured 5th metatarsal
Fucking hemorrhoids
All lifts down substantially from cut
Did I mention hemorrhoids?

It's been a pretty fun 2-3 weeks.

Team falling apart unite!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Heal up big guy.

Awesome news about 177. Sounds like you're at a good weight.

AnAnole

Maybe I'm not built for this shit or I'm getting old. I have no idea, but this month sucks.

Need a new hobby. Cross stitching perhaps?

You could just lift without caring about your numbers. I like putting up big numbers, but i'm sort of going more towards hypertrophy rather than strength - lots of slow, controlled reps at much lower weights. I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks but my joints already feel much better and I feel like my body is still changing for the better. I don't know, especially at 30+ like I am, unless your main goal is strength, I think it may be better to lift just for aesthetics and health. You don't have to go all out to get the metabolic and bone density health benefits of resistance training.

mdsfx

Edit: PSA - This user might be drunk posting, but he means well. We apologize in advance.

My V thingy is coming in.

Kinda.
I've had my vagina for a while. They're grrrrrrreat!

Lol I'm sorry. I actually have no idea what you're talking about :(

Another edit: oh you mean near your waist?

Two Words

Pretty normal that grip starts to fall behind, it's the weakest link in the Deadlift chain quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4JOTmA8Pts
Yeah, my biggest concern is that my grip could be hindered by me being double jointed. My fingers and thumbs are double jointed and I feel like this could affect how my grip strength grows. To give you an example of how my hands are double jointed, try doing this:

Nelo Ice

Banned
So cutting weight at about 2lbs a week and seems I haven't lost strength at least not yet since I switched to 5/3/1 with FSL and Joker sets. I'm currently down to 154 or maybe 152 lbs now and around this time last month I weighed 160 lbs. I've been using the calculator from the OP http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ to track how many calories I need.

And while I still need to finish reading Renaissance Diet, I'm eating about 1500 calories more or less every day including workout days. My TDEE is about 1917 calories. I'm not exactly hitting my macros at a 40/30/30 clip all the time but I'm definitely getting 1g Protein/bodyweight. Anyway am I doing this right or eating too little?. Curious since my sister asked me for help on losing weight and she plans to start next week.

So cutting weight at about 2lbs a week and seems I haven't lost strength at least not yet since I switched to 5/3/1 with FSL and Joker sets. I'm currently down to 154 or maybe 152 lbs now and around this time last month I weighed 160 lbs. I've been using the calculator from the OP http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ to track how many calories I need.

And while I still need to finish reading Renaissance Diet, I'm eating about 1500 calories more or less every day including workout days. My TDEE is about 1917 calories. I'm not exactly hitting my macros at a 40/30/30 clip all the time but I'm definitely getting 1g Protein/bodyweight. Anyway am I doing this right or eating too little?. Curious since my sister asked me for help on losing weight and she plans to start next week.

Why not try the portion size method.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I need some help in putting together a gym routine. I've been going for almost 6 months now, mainly just focusing on cardio - not taking it too seriously but still going 6 days a week for 40ish minutes each time.

When I go, I just sort of do whatever I feel like that day without any specific plan (usually at least 30 minutes of cardio and then for the last 10 minutes I'll use a couple of the leg machines or something), but lately I've been experimenting a bit with the free weights (it's taken me all this time to gain the confidence to go into that area of the gym lol) and I must say that I really like it! It's fun, makes me feel good, etc. but I have no idea what I'm doing.

So far I've tried:

barbell curls (50lb x 8, fairly comfortably. 10 with a bit of straining)
regular dumbbell curls (25lb in each arm, about 5-6 reps each arm for a total of 10-12)
wrist curls (25lb x 15 each wrist)
kneeling one arm rows (35lb x 12 each arm)
squats (50lb x 5)
squats while balancing on a bosu ball (the ball-weights only go up to 12lb so I should probably hold something heavier...with 12lb I can do like 30-40 squats)
lunges (40lb x 10 for 4 reps. so 40 lunges total)

Not all on the same day, mind. Like, some days I might just do curls but not rows, or rows but not curls. Etc. My arms are weak and get tired easily. :/

I like to switch things up and try new things, but at the same time I would like an actual routine to follow too. I would like to know which exercises to do, how many of each, and how often I should be doing them.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 162. Skinny but with a bit of a tummy.

I want to get fitter and healthier overall, above all else, but I guess my ultimate goal would be to look even vaguely like this guy or this guy. If possible.

Two Words

I need some help in putting together a gym routine. I've been going for almost 6 months now, mainly just focusing on cardio - not taking it too seriously but still going 6 days a week for 40ish minutes each time.

When I go, I just sort of do whatever I feel like that day without any specific plan (usually at least 30 minutes of cardio and then for the last 10 minutes I'll use a couple of the leg machines or something), but lately I've been experimenting a bit with the free weights (it's taken me all this time to gain the confidence to go into that area of the gym lol) and I must say that I really like it! It's fun, makes me feel good, etc. but I have no idea what I'm doing.

So far I've tried:

barbell curls (50lb x 8, fairly comfortably. 10 with a bit of straining)
regular dumbbell curls (25lb in each arm, about 5-6 reps each arm for a total of 10-12)
wrist curls (25lb x 15 each wrist)
kneeling one arm rows (35lb x 12 each arm)
squats (50lb x 5)
squats while balancing on a bosu ball (the ball-weights only go up to 12lb so I should probably hold something heavier...with 12lb I can do like 30-40 squats)
lunges (40lb x 10 for 4 reps. so 40 lunges total)

Not all on the same day, mind. Like, some days I might just do curls but not rows, or rows but not curls. Etc. My arms are weak and get tired easily. :/

I like to switch things up and try new things, but at the same time I would like an actual routine to follow too. I would like to know which exercises to do, how many of each, and how often I should be doing them.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 162. Skinny but with a bit of a tummy.

I want to get fitter and healthier overall, above all else, but I guess my ultimate goal would be to look even vaguely like this guy or this guy. If possible.

Bicep curling the same amount of weight that you wrist curl sounds really strange.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Bicep curling the same amount of weight that you wrist curl sounds really strange.

I know! That occurred to me as well as I was typing that out. Maybe I'm not doing the wrist curls properly? I only do one wrist at a time and I place my free hand on my forearm because that's how I've seen other people at the gym do it.

mdsfx

Well shit.

Up 2lbs this week. Don't know how. Total overage calories for the entire week was 328.

:|

how sure are you about your calorie needs? maybe you need less? Just weigh yourself a few days in a row to see if it's fluctuating. Maybe you caught yourself with some extra water.

how sure are you about your calorie needs? maybe you need less? Just weigh yourself a few days in a row to see if it's fluctuating. Maybe you caught yourself with some extra water.
100% sure. I recalc every 2 weeks. Consistent pretty much every week since the start of my cut.

I had a rest week the week before and did eat maintenance. Water intake has shot up with the weather and an incoming kidney stone. Might be just the combination of maintenance the previous week and water.

Will keep an eye on it.

First time posting in here.

Is it possible to gain a bit more muscle without putting on fat (or maybe even lose some) if you're somewhere between 20 - 25% body fat? I ended up bulking too hard like I did in the past. I want to build muscle for another month, but I don't want to get any fatter.

mdsfx

100% sure. I recalc every 2 weeks. Consistent pretty much every week since the start of my cut.

I had a rest week the week before and did eat maintenance. Water intake has shot up with the weather and an incoming kidney stone. Might be just the combination of maintenance the previous week and water.

Will keep an eye on it.

Feck. I get stones (small crystals) too. Not fun!

Feeling pretty good, holding on to 230-235 lbs depending on the day. Fluffy but it is what it is. What can I say, it is the summer and I love eating.
Fluffy? You're goddamn Batman. No under costume muscle suit for you!

Feck. I get stones (small crystals) too. Not fun!
I get stones every 2 years like clockwork. Always in the summer :(

Had to have 2 of them removed surgically over the years. Not fun!

SeanR1221

Will keep an eye on it.

Stones are my biggest fear. I drink so much water to avoid them after seeing the pain my dad has gone through.

Squated 175 lbs! 🏋🏽

Nice! 🙌🏻

Feeling pretty good, holding on to 230-235 lbs depending on the day. Fluffy but it is what it is. What can I say, it is the summer and I love eating.

You mean your hair is fluffy right? Because you're looking fantastic bro.

And if we're talking half naked man meat, I snapped what I feel is my best before and after yet. Maintenance mode is going really well this summer and I'm enjoying the hell out of food. No pump, just full of sushi and cookies from last night.

Groof

So on my way to stock up on some fish oil I see the fat burner section and I'm left wondering if that stuff is even worth it? What are your thoughts on it and is there some recommended reading?

First time doing front squats. I focused heavily on form. I was able to do 1 plate for 7 reps (my last set for it). For back squats my max has been 3 plates.

I'm hoping adding front squats will help with mass building for my quads.

Looking good Sean! One hell of a cut!

As for stones, I've had surgery twice so they can go "in" (sweet baby Jesus) to blast the stone with a laser. Had 2 get stuck coming out of the kidney into the ureter 4 years apart. The shittiest part about that whole ordeal was (trigger warning)
the stent going from my ureter to the bladder. The first few days were OK but a tiny but of stent is always leading into the bladder irritating it - that feeling of a burning I need to pee bladder for a week. Then the fun part came in removing it. In office, awake, no meds. Dude whips out this contraption as thick as my arm and lubes it up, rams it in me, grabs the stent with a little claw thing and pulls it out.
Worst feeling ever and dude didnt even buy me dinner :|

Also I'm down 2lbs today. Yeesh. Bodies are weird.

Faith

Finally finished my diet. Got down from 90kg to 83kg in 4 weeks. Really satisfied with my current form. Especially when I compare it with summer 2015 where I was at 70kg.

Today (83kg)

I think shoulders, back and lower body are my strengths, chest and arms (especially triceps) are my weaknesses. I'm going to change my training routine. I did the uper/lower body split for 1 year now, but I think it's time to go up and do a 3-body-part split routine with a heavier focus on the upper body (especially chest and arms).

Top Bottom