• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

I am going to have to break down and get some protein powder. Eating is not my favorite past-time, and there's no way I can get 1g/pound based on my appetite. It just cannot be done despite how light I am (145 lbs, at the moment).

Any recommendations on a lactose-free protein mix, preferably also with no artificial sweeteners? I'm leaning towards just going unflavored.

Sadetar

Hey sadetar!!! Great to see things are mostly good! Glad to have you back.
Heeeeyyyyyyy Bum!!!!

Good to be back! I have certainly missed this awesome community
and also maybe ever so slightly the delicious eye candy people sometimes post in here
(please don't kill me for telling the truth)

I would like to think that things are mostly splendid. :D I have needed to take couple weeks breaks (after a small accident around Christmas and after the leg stopped working until we figured out what it was), but nothing major.

It seems that things are running smoothly in here as well and there are at least some familiar names around. ^_^

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice to see that this thread is still going strong. I haven't been in here for eternity, but I haven't fell off the wagon either.

Some of you may remember that I had a really bad herniated disc last year. According to the recent mri it has nearly fully disappeared. Electroneuromyography also showed that there isn't any big neurological damages left from that and the small ones that are still there most likely heal on their own with time. The side of my feet still feels funny once in a while, but it isn't painful at all.

I was able to work out normally for about half a year and I really loved doing kettlebell exercises. One day about three months back I was getting up from the floor and fell down instantly. I was thinking I was just super clumsy and tried to get up again just to realize my left leg's muscles weren't responding correctly and I fell down again. It took maybe couple minutes before I felt that they were under control and I could get up.

Of course I was worried and went to see a doctor. After numerous meetings, different tests and mri we found out that I have modic 1 changes. I met a physiotherapist and we went through everything I have been doing. No yoga or pilates for couple months for now. At the moment I do dead bug exercises daily and go to gym twice a week. In there I use mainly machines where my back is supported and I am not allowed to bend to the sides and I try to avoid bending forward as well. My physiotherapist checked my squats and gave me permission to do those once a week with low weights (max 22 pounds / 10 kilos, 20-30 repetitions 2-3 times) since the form was good. I also do some core muscle workouts with the caple machine twice a week.

I am happy I can still work out, but I am relatively annoyed about all this. It will take at least couple months to be fully healed and I feel I am just going through different type back problems one by one. I guess I better try to take this as a cut, since I am forced to use less weights and I did gain some fat when I tried to gain more muscles during winter. Good thing is that at least this shouldn't be as serious or time consuming as the herniated disc and I managed to get over it just fine.

If anyone of you have had diagnosed modic 1 changes, I am all ears.

All in all not a bad year I guess and everything will be great once I have lost the extra fat and got my back back to normal. ^_^
You have been missed! Welcome back.

______

Can you provide some samples of your clean diet?

Typical day.

Shake, meat & veggie, PB, greek yogurt and whey. ~1500 cal, 160gs protein.

i-bsjrlz4-2100x20000wmoiz.jpg

KillerBEA

Getting better at pullups and chin ups. Did sets of 3 switching grip width and pull up and chin up in between Squat sets.

Also getting really close to surpassing my bodyweight for my higher rep Squat work. Did did 190 for a 5 x 5 after Front Squats at a bodyweight of 192.

entremet

The struggle is following up a cheat day with a strict day. Yo body wants dat sugar!!

Hah.

I'm lucky I don't have a sweet tooth.

My cheat meals usually consist of my meal out for the week. This weekend it was this.

thumb_600.jpg

I had no room for dessert!

Calderc

Is it possible to be too tall for deadlifts? I'm 6'5 and just can't for the life of me get the form down. I've hurt my back doing them before and I'm really reluctant to do them again. Are rack pulls a decent alternative?

KillerBEA

Is it possible to be too tall for deadlifts? I'm 6'5 and just can't for the life of me get the form down. I've hurt my back doing them before and I'm really reluctant to do them again. Are rack pulls a decent alternative?

No. Some of the best Conventional Deadlifters are either around your height or taller

For example Hafthor Björnsson is 6' 9" and has 900+lb Deadlift. Brian Shaw is 6' 8" and has 900+lb Deadlift. You might need a slightly wider stance to accomodate your leverages though. The wider stance will allow you to get lower

Brian Shaw as an example has a kind of semi-sumo deadlift but it's technically conventional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlmuSyeXM0

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Well if you have short arms deadlifts can certainly be a pain at your height. Have you tried sumo?

Nice to see that this thread is still going strong. I haven't been in here for eternity, but I haven't fell off the wagon either.

Some of you may remember that I had a really bad herniated disc last year. According to the recent mri it has nearly fully disappeared. Electroneuromyography also showed that there isn't any big neurological damages left from that and the small ones that are still there most likely heal on their own with time. The side of my feet still feels funny once in a while, but it isn't painful at all.

I was able to work out normally for about half a year and I really loved doing kettlebell exercises. One day about three months back I was getting up from the floor and fell down instantly. I was thinking I was just super clumsy and tried to get up again just to realize my left leg's muscles weren't responding correctly and I fell down again. It took maybe couple minutes before I felt that they were under control and I could get up.

Of course I was worried and went to see a doctor. After numerous meetings, different tests and mri we found out that I have modic 1 changes. I met a physiotherapist and we went through everything I have been doing. No yoga or pilates for couple months for now. At the moment I do dead bug exercises daily and go to gym twice a week. In there I use mainly machines where my back is supported and I am not allowed to bend to the sides and I try to avoid bending forward as well. My physiotherapist checked my squats and gave me permission to do those once a week with low weights (max 22 pounds / 10 kilos, 20-30 repetitions 2-3 times) since the form was good. I also do some core muscle workouts with the caple machine twice a week.

I am happy I can still work out, but I am relatively annoyed about all this. It will take at least couple months to be fully healed and I feel I am just going through different type back problems one by one. I guess I better try to take this as a cut, since I am forced to use less weights and I did gain some fat when I tried to gain more muscles during winter. Good thing is that at least this shouldn't be as serious or time consuming as the herniated disc and I managed to get over it just fine.

If anyone of you have had diagnosed modic 1 changes, I am all ears.

All in all not a bad year I guess and everything will be great once I have lost the extra fat and got my back back to normal. ^_^

glad to see you back

tumblr_n5y0ng7wAS1t9bvgbo1_400.gif

mkenyon

Banned
So, ran my first 10k yesterday. For Pokemon.

I actually left my dogs at home so I could focus on just hitting the distance. I'm a bastard.
Welcome back!
Typical day.

Shake, meat & veggie, PB, greek yogurt and whey. ~1500 cal, 160gs protein.
This is my diet exactly.

Sadetar

glad to see you back

tumblr_n5y0ng7wAS1t9bvgbo1_400.gif
Sl0Wy.gif

So, ran my first 10k yesterday. For Pokemon.

I actually left my dogs at home so I could focus on just hitting the distance. I'm a bastard.

Welcome back!

This is my diet exactly.
I am totally jealous of that running! Good job (also I hope you got the pokemon).

I actually bought a nice pair of running shoes for myself some time back. According to my physiotherapist running isn't really that awesome idea since the history of my back so I haven't really used them for the purpose I bought them. Since I have been unable to use high heels due the same problems I haven't been running, I have just been using them for grocery shopping and so forth. Now when I live in the city center I walk basicly every place. I am not that sure though should I use proper running shoes on daily basis since they aren't designed for that. They are just super comfy and don't even look that bad. If anybody knows any better, please inform me.

Oh and I am very happy to be here! ^_^

I finally got back into being healthy again. I have lost about 25 pounds in about 4 months or so. I'm 34, 5'10'' and about 180. I started lifting weights about 2 weeks ago. I don't want to get huge just some definition and a 6 pack would be cool. I also want to lose about 10 more pounds.
Anyway, I just have some questions about supplements and powder drinks and stuff to take with the work outs. I have seen pre and post work out drinks. I have protein powder that I take at times. I just want to get GAF's opinion on what I can take to help.

Ixian

I finally got back into being healthy again. I have lost about 25 pounds in about 4 months or so. I'm 34, 5'10'' and about 180. I started lifting weights about 2 weeks ago. I don't want to get huge just some definition and a 6 pack would be cool. I also want to lose about 10 more pounds.
Anyway, I just have some questions about supplements and powder drinks and stuff to take with the work outs. I have seen pre and post work out drinks. I have protein powder that I take at times. I just want to get GAF's opinion on what I can take to help.
Definition and abs (especially a 6-pack) really require you to focus on diet above all else, you don't really need to worry about pre- and post-workout to get there.

Ixian

Tried quest's peanut butter cup things earlier...

...I didn't hate them. Don't think I'd go out of my way for them though.
Are you talking about the ones available in-store now? Always found those super dry.

They recently tested out a new version in their Quest Labs trial area; it shifts the emphasis from protein to fat and is relabeled as a Keto Cup. Also comes in a few extra flavors, Mint and Vanilla. It's a lot better thanks to the higher fat and lower protein.

Speaking of cups, I'm gonna try making these with some Trader Joe's Cookie Butter for my snack tomorrow. Can't wait.

SaviorX

Anybody have a meal plan that's recommended if you want a 6-pack?

Consistent Exercise is implied, but for any ab workouts that have been helpful, feel free to recommend those too.

mkenyon

Banned

Consistent Exercise is implied, but for any ab workouts that have been helpful, feel free to recommend those too.
Go on a long term cut, low calories, high protein.

The only way abs show is if you reduce your fat % enough for them to stick out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Are you talking about the ones available in-store now? Always found those super dry.

They recently tested out a new version in their Quest Labs trial area; it shifts the emphasis from protein to fat and is relabeled as a Keto Cup. Also comes in a few extra flavors, Mint and Vanilla. It's a lot better thanks to the higher fat and lower protein.

Speaking of cups, I'm gonna try making these with some Trader Joe's Cookie Butter for my snack tomorrow. Can't wait.
Finally a high fat, low protein snack. Why has it taken so long?

Abs do not grow so much from an "ab workout" that they can push abdominal fat out of the way. Everybody with less than a certain amount of body fat (14-15%) has a six pack, and it's pretty much a waste of time to focus on ab work as you're not going to see much of a difference. They're small muscles, so the range of their size is small, and they get worked well by each of the four main lifts anyway.

I do hanging leg raises on deadlift day with the head at hand level, because it's a good accessory for deadlift. Do five sets of as many as you can up to 15.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Szu looking solid as always.

I know it's not "healthy" but Ill be damned if a pound of pulled pork (no sauce) and a few shots of whiskey isn't the most awesome meal ever. Several nights in a row, no regrets.

I'll never match MrToughtPant's meal pics, but I promise I'll crack open my last fresh-caught dungeness crab for a six egg omelet in the morning. If I was him I'd make it a twelve egg omelet and two crabs, but I wouldn't be able to finish that, I'll just be honest here lol.

Modest supper tonight, only 8XL eggs not 12.

Still 1800+cals with shredded cheddar :)

Sadetar

Glad to see you back Sadetar. The thread feels like old times now.
Awwww, thank you! ^_^ Very happy to be back. This thread truly was/is amazing.

Go on a long term cut, low calories, high protein.

The only way abs show is if you reduce your fat % enough for them to stick out.
You are sadly right. I know all that and I know how I should eat. I just think it is very easy to stick with working out, but all that calorie counting and proper cut is always very challenging to me.

Like I have said before I wish I would be a huge lad, so my daily calorie intake would be at least slightly higher than it is currently.

Hello friends,

I would like to start working out, specifically lifting, three times per week(Monday, Wednesday, Friday) And would love if someone could point me to great work outs for specific muscle groups? I'm most interested in working my shoulders, legs, chest, back, biceps, triceps, and getting a sweet plump but firm booty. I would also love to have those six pack abs that are all the rage. Where should I start? Also, I don't have any leg machines at home where I'll be working out, so what are good leg exercises I could do without machines or weights?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Went to a friend's 21st birthday party in my tightest shirt. I had people putting their hands on my pecs and my fitness and looks were complimented a few times. Totally new experience for me. It was wild. Thank you fitgaf!!!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hello friends,

I would like to start working out, specifically lifting, three times per week(Monday, Wednesday, Friday) And would love if someone could point me to great work outs for specific muscle groups? I'm most interested in working my shoulders, legs, chest, back, biceps, triceps, and getting a sweet plump but firm booty. I would also love to have those six pack abs that are all the rage. Where should I start? Also, I don't have any leg machines at home where I'll be working out, so what are good leg exercises I could do without machines or weights?
I'm a little confused, do you have weights or not? If so I would recommend stronglifts 5x5. There is an app that is easy to use and all you really need to get started are some weights and a bench. I wouldn't recommend isolation exercises if you are just getting started.

Two Words

Deadlifting always makes me sweat more than I ever have in my entire life. I'm absolutely drenched just from 3x7 on 155lbs of deadlifts.

Edit: Aaaaaaand I think I tweaked my shoulder during a negative on reverse flies. It honestly doesn't feel like much. My range of motion is not changed, but there is a very slight twinge of pain during it. I don't have to do my push day until Thursday, so I hope it is good by then.

Went to a friend's 21st birthday party in my tightest shirt. I had people putting their hands on my pecs and my fitness and looks were complimented a few times. Totally new experience for me. It was wild. Thank you fitgaf!!!
This is why I wear my pants tight in the crotch.

-

Feeling like dog shit. Back is still in pain this week. Couldn't do cardio yesterday so I skipped it. Will try again today. It's back day, to boot. May the force be with me.

Top Bottom