• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

It is a lot, but it's also sugar in the form of lactose which breaks down to glucose and galactose (not such a worry vs sucrose or fructose)... and at the end of the day, I assume you're drinking that much because you want to put on weight.

Edit - Don't put eggs in your shake... you're not rocky. :p

my shirt says otherwise

gRoti2V.jpg

Okay fitness GAF, odd realization hit me today. Thought i'd try & gather some insight here.

So, i've been on a fitness path for over a year now. In 2015, my goal was to end the year under 300 (which I hit; started at 350). I had ONLY been working out really. In 2016, I decided that 250 was going to be both my goal & my ideal weight. So, this year, I start adding in dieting, as well as refining my workout regiment. I've been working out 3-5 times a week, i'd say 4 days has been the weekly average for the year. Last time I weight myself, which was about 2 months ago, I was around 285ish, give or take. So, I go to weigh myself today - and i'm up to 308. Over 20 pounds gained!

I'm not quite sure where the weight has gone though. Everyone has told me I look slimmer now than I have in a long time, and personally looking at my body, I have only noticed improvements and I think my body right now looks better now than it has since I started my fitness journey in late April of 2015. So, where did I tack on 20 pounds? Now, to be fair, I do a mixture of both weight lifting as well as cardio, and this year i've been incorporating a high-intensity regiment into my cardio (I ride an elliptical for about 4 miles in 30 mins for every day I work out). I can definitely tell i've gotten significantly stronger. My quads especially feel huge. But I find it impossible that 20 pounds of muscle grew in 2 months.

Ideas?

Muscle is going to weigh more than fat. If all you do is replace 1 cubic inch of fat with a cubic inch of muscle, you're going to be heavier. That said, I agree 20 pounds in two months is extreme and unlikely.

One possibility is that your scale is off. Another is that your memory of your prior weight is incorrect, or the scale at that time was off. (Were you using the same scale each time?)

Absent those possibilities, the more likely possibility is simply that -- in addition to gains in muscle -- you have put back on pounds from fat that you had previously lost. The fact that you look better and receive compliments could still be based on your mental image of yourself at 350. Of course you at 308 will look better.

I would say you should reevaluate your diet in light of your caloric needs and your goals, do the same for your workout. The fact that you have dropped 42 pounds from your starting point is awesome, but you'll need to remain disciplined to go even further and to maintain those results.

KillerBEA

Okay fitness GAF, odd realization hit me today. Thought i'd try & gather some insight here.

So, i've been on a fitness path for over a year now. In 2015, my goal was to end the year under 300 (which I hit; started at 350). I had ONLY been working out really. In 2016, I decided that 250 was going to be both my goal & my ideal weight. So, this year, I start adding in dieting, as well as refining my workout regiment. I've been working out 3-5 times a week, i'd say 4 days has been the weekly average for the year. Last time I weight myself, which was about 2 months ago, I was around 285ish, give or take. So, I go to weigh myself today - and i'm up to 308. Over 20 pounds gained!

I'm not quite sure where the weight has gone though. Everyone has told me I look slimmer now than I have in a long time, and personally looking at my body, I have only noticed improvements and I think my body right now looks better now than it has since I started my fitness journey in late April of 2015. So, where did I tack on 20 pounds? Now, to be fair, I do a mixture of both weight lifting as well as cardio, and this year i've been incorporating a high-intensity regiment into my cardio (I ride an elliptical for about 4 miles in 30 mins for every day I work out). I can definitely tell i've gotten significantly stronger. My quads especially feel huge. But I find it impossible that 20 pounds of muscle grew in 2 months.

There has been at least 3 notable lapses in working out this year, all due to illness. The longest was 2 weeks about 6 weeks ago, but I didn't really gorge on food during these periods. If anything, I tried to refrain a little.

Ideas?

Water retention fluctuations could play a role in this. Not 20 lbs of water but could be 5-10 lbs of it.

I don't know where they've come from, but it seems in the last few weeks I've developed muscles on the inner side of my knees. Normally I don't mind muscles but these seem to be really tight and sore... might need to sort a massage out before my next big ride.

I can't seem to find it on the anatomy diagrams. Not sure if it's part of my quad or not, but it doesn't seem to be attached to the meaty bit that normally points down.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I don't know where they've come from, but it seems in the last few weeks I've developed muscles on the inner side of my knees. Normally I don't mind muscles but these seem to be really tight and sore... might need to sort a massage out before my next big ride.

I can't seem to find it on the anatomy diagrams. Not sure if it's part of my quad or not, but it doesn't seem to be attached to the meaty bit that normally points down.

Gracilis or Sartorius probably.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just got some new shorts today along with so many tanks. For the first time I feel comfortable rocking tanks so really suns out guns out :p.

Sadetar

I met a physiotherapist student and she made me a new (free) gym programme today. We went basicly through all the movements and after that I did the upper body part of it normally, core training, then my regular stretches and biking to my friend's place to feed her fishes (she lives in a middle of nowhere). I didn't even think of it before I was done, but that added up to four hours so no wonder I was do dead afterwards.

This is now my upper body work out with super sets.

Chest press machine / bench press 3 x 10
chest fly (machine) 3 x 15

shoulder press with dumbbells (+ arms to front) sitting 3 x 10
dumbbells shoulder fly 3 x 15

biceps curl with dumbbells / cabel machine 3 x 10
french press with dumbbells / cabel machine 3 x 10

+ core muscle training with cable machine and dead bug exercises.

And the lower body includes these:

bulgarian split squat 3 x 10
one legged glute bridge 3 x 15

dumbbell box step ups 3 x 10
romanian deadlift 3 x 15

cable hip abduction 3 x 10
abduction with machine 3 x 15

lying t-bar row 3 x 10
cable pulldown 3 x 10
reverse fly machine 3 x 10

I am not that particularly good at judging work out programmes, so what do you think?

She turned 13 in January.
Incredibly impressive. Sounds like she is planning to crush more than just hearts when she gets older. :D

I lost 21 lbs total!
Well you have done amazing job with both lowering your weight and blood pressure! Good for you! :)

My wife and I are doing amazing. More proud of her than anything she is down like 15 pounds in a month. Eating good and working hard. It is harder for me than her because I work nights. But we are banging it out.
This is always great news! So happy for you two. :D

Running marathon
sex sessions
?
This somehow piqued my interest. Shame the answer wasn't as exciting as I would have hoped it to be.

Here's a photo of where I'm at right now. Reeeaally want to get BF% down. I'll try to remember to post another in a few months.
I don't see any problems with your body fat, you seem to be pretty lean as you are. I also must add that you are giganticly tall
(and good looking)

D'oh. I just threw out about 4kg of protein power. I bought a 5kg pack a few years ago when I was using it regularly... but these days I try to get all my protein from real food (with the odd quest bar here and there). It's about 9 months past its best before so I figured enough was enough on that front.

Oh well, lesson learned.
I am oddly enough quite happy to hear I am not the only one. I have at least couple kilos of protein powder sitting in my closet and it is going to expire this month. I have noticed I can easily get enough protein from real food (even if I do love some of the Quest bar flavours).

my shirt says otherwise
oh-my-takei.gif

So just got some new shorts today along with so many tanks. For the first time I feel comfortable rocking tanks so really suns out guns out :p.
Any photos of you in those tanks? You know, just to get the idea of this year's tank top fashion... :p

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
My knee has felt very shaky since Monday, when I did Snatches followed by squats for the first time. Any advice besides to be careful?

I just did deadlifts 295 x 3 and felt like I had five, and knee scared me off. And I keep having to take breaks to stretch it out while walking.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Gotta get that Second Annual Mrs. "Soon to be Mom" Kenyon hottest bod competition on my calendar.

We thinking October-ish?
I started cutting 5 minutes ago. Lack of preparation will not be my downfall this year Mr. Defending Champion.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Took this week to deload, no cardio. Back feels OK but I'm on the machine today so there's that. Hope to get good sleep on the floor this weekend.

mkenyon

Banned
Gotta get that Second Annual Mrs. "Soon to be Mom" Kenyon hottest bod competition on my calendar.

We thinking October-ish?
She'll be in the beginning of her third trimester then
i hear that's when the sex hormones start raging
, which will be perfect!

BumRush

She'll be in the beginning of her third trimester then
i hear that's when the sex hormones start raging
, which will be perfect!

Lol this made me laugh out loud. Also, great page all around. The competition brings out the best in us.

P. S. Jones you BEAST!

I look just like that right before I wake up.

P. S. Jones you BEAST!

Thank you fine gentlemen. I've been on my Boxing Conditioning and HIIT regiment and now I'm transitioning into my weight lifting routine. Did legs for the first time in about 1.5 months and they were nice and sore last week; felt so good. I'm ready to throw on some more muscle. I'm just discovering that lats are my weak point; any advice?

I'm still waiting for the Ali boxing pose.

I got you! Gotta do The Greatest justice #RIP

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What has two thumbs and was Mrs. MKenyon's object of desire last year?

*points at self*

This guuuuuy.
Repeating a championship is very hard. Motivation decreases. Complacency sets in. Abs get less defined. It's science.

BumRush

Repeating a championship is very hard. Motivation decreases. Complacency sets in. Abs get less defined. It's science.

So you're going to be the Cavs to my Warriors?

(sorry, I am sure that was really far below the belt for you)

Thank you fine gentlemen. I've been on my Boxing Conditioning and HIIT regiment and now I'm transitioning into my weight lifting routine. Did legs for the first time in about 1.5 months and they were nice and sore last week; felt so good. I'm ready to throw on some more muscle. I'm just discovering that lats are my weak point; any advice?

My favorite is a lat pull down tri set...

Pick enough weight where you could bang out 8 reps and do the following.

5 reps close grip, palms in
5 reps close grip, palms out
5 reps wide grip, palms out

That's one set. Do 3.

Top Bottom