• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh man, that sounds interesting.

Also worth noting:

lJJNy9H.png
Sign me the F up!

Cedric

Is it normal that my biceps give out before I feel anything in my back when I do lateral pulldowns? I don't know how to do deadlifts and so I'm quite limited when training my back. I do seated rows, used to do back extensions but I stopped because it made me really dizzy.

BumRush

Is it normal that my biceps give out before I feel anything in my back when I do lateral pulldowns? I don't know how to do deadlifts and so I'm quite limited when training my back. I do seated rows, used to do back extensions but I stopped because it made me really dizzy.

1st off, I'd definitely suggest learning how to deadlift, as it's an absolutely amazing exercise in so many ways.

But I'm regards to your pull downs, are you doing them close grip, palms facing you? If so, your biceps do take on a little more, so try palms out, wide grip.

since no one wants to link it - http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/collections/peanut-butter/products/pumpkin-spice-peanut-butter

fml. $5 shipping per jar. i can't with that price.

That's only if you buy one jar...

biceps are definitely engaged but try to go at a lower weight, lean back a little and really pull down and feel that stretch

Cedric

1st off, I'd definitely suggest learning how to deadlift, as it's an absolutely amazing exercise in so many ways.

But I'm regards to your pull downs, are you doing them close grip, palms facing you? If so, your biceps do take on a little more, so try palms out, wide grip..

I definitely want to learn, haven't gotten around asking the gym staff if they can teach me yet. For the grip it's the reserve, I do it wide and palms facing away.

biceps are definitely engaged but try to go at a lower weight, lean back a little and really pull down and feel that stretch

Right, I recently cut back the weight but found it too easy. I'll try leaning back more though, maybe that's the problem.

I definitely want to learn, haven't gotten around asking the gym staff if they can teach me yet. For the grip it's the reserve, I do it wide and palms facing away.

Right, I recently cut back the weight but found it too easy. I'll try leaning back more though, maybe that's the problem.

it also depends on when you do the exercise

if I do pulldowns as my final back exercise, I am already exhausted and so my arms are really feeling it at that point vs doing it as my first and I can go heavier

priorities and all that

But I'm regards to your pull downs, are you doing them close grip, palms facing you? If so, your biceps do take on a little more, so try palms out, wide grip.

That's only if you buy one jar...
just checked. standard is $10.25. just keep adding more and it slightly goes up. had 6 jars for $13 shipping. unsure if i should buy or wait when it's at vitamin shoppe or something.

but
just saw this big notice. $2.99 flat rate shipping for orders over $50. they got me. should i get $50 worth of Peanut butter or not lol.

BumRush

just checked. standard is $10.25. just keep adding more and it slightly goes up. had 6 jars for $13 shipping. unsure if i should buy or wait when it's at vitamin shoppe or something.

but
just saw this big notice. $2.99 flat rate shipping for orders over $50. they got me. should i get $50 worth of Peanut butter or not lol.

Funny, mine is $7 for 6!

But yeah, you absolutely should spend $50 on PB. :)

mkenyon

Banned

but
Yes.

Their Fluff for Fluffernutters is fucking amazing too. I bought a jar of the strawberry one, and made strawberry peanut butter fluffternutters before trail runs.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Hopefully going to hit a 4 plate front squat this year, barring any injuries. Did FS twice this week followed by paused squats. Decided to try lifting an hour after waking on an empty stomach, a 16 hour fast, and didn't do too bad. I typically lift at night before bed so this was a change.

Hit 315/325/335/345/350x2 FS and some easy 405/415/425/435x1 beltless HB paused squats. I could actually feel my quads on the paused squats lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Broke Keto after doing it for 2 weeks.

Fucking tough diet

Keto diets can be tough when you're trying it for the first time. It gets easier. Maybe carb cycling is more your thing. Technically you'll be in ketosis most of the time, while giving yourself breaks to replenish glycogen stores.

mdsfx

I'm usually under 120 net carbs per day, often less than 100. At what point is it a keto diet? I'm pretty sure I've asked Bish that before, but I can't recall his answer.

Also, where is Bish?!

mdsfx

married so hes locked down from everything

PFFFFT, being married is nothing. Wait til the kids start popping up.I only get to work out because I wake up at 4:45. Getting out of the house on the weekends for a run is only possible because I wake up early to make a huge breakfast to keep everyone content while I'm out!

Szu

PFFFFT, being married is nothing. Wait til the kids start popping up.I only get to work out because I wake up at 4:45. Getting out of the house on the weekends for a run is only possible because I wake up early to make a huge breakfast to keep everyone content while I'm out!

Yeah, notice it's the single fluffy baby-faced beast that uses the marriage card.

Ixian

I'm intrigued.

Wow, me too.

Have you seen it in the wild yet?

Haven't tried the retail version, but these has been in the Quest Labs for a while and I like them quite a bit; they have a nice little hint of cinnamon to them. Sounds like the other two Quest Labs flavors, Blueberry Muffin and Rocky Road, will be coming out too. Blueberry Muffin is my personal favorite of the three because of the blueberry muffin chunks.

I'm usually under 120 net carbs per day, often less than 100. At what point is it a keto diet? I'm pretty sure I've asked Bish that before, but I can't recall his answer.

Also, where is Bish?!
There's low carb and then there's keto, which is when you enter a state of ketosis. The actual amount to hit that is going to vary from person to person, but let's say < 30g/carbs. I've successfully done it in the past for losing weight, but I don't like it when I'm weight lifting. It's also harder for me to do now because I typically eat a shit ton of eggs when I'm low carbing, but my girlfriend needs more variety than that.

Cooter I love you man. I went to the vitamin shop to see if they had the oatmeal cookie quest bar and they had samples which they gave me a whole bar for free.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cooter I love you man. I went to the vitamin shop to see if they had the oatmeal cookie quest bar and they had samples which they gave me a whole bar for free.
Hearts and hugs. Well how were they?

And am I reading that post wrong or do we have our very own Quest Bar insider?!

Ixian

lol, I wouldn't say insider since it's something anyone can sign up for. They've tested a few different products so far:
- Keto Cups (like their peanut butter cups, but fattier and less protein-oriented so much better taste and texture. also different flavors like mint and vanilla in addition to peanut butter)
- Keto Bar (fatty chocolate bar)
- Chips 2.0 (much better version of their protein chips, the 2.0 of barbecue is now publicly available)
- Tortilla Chips
- The new bar flavors I mentioned
- Cereal bars, which are fucking amazing but way too expensive for their macros at the moment. These are gonna be HUGE if they bring the price down.

And now they have keto salted crackers too, which I literally just found out about as I went to get the link at the start of this post.

mdsfx

Calvin Klein extreme slim-fit dress shirts came in and fit awesome! Lol Yasss. Getting rid of all my shirt tents asap.

BumRush

lol, I wouldn't say insider since it's something anyone can sign up for. They've tested a few different products so far:
- Keto Cups (like their peanut butter cups, but fattier and less protein-oriented so much better taste texture. also different flavors like mint and vanilla in addition to peanut butter)
- Keto Bar (fatty chocolate bar)
- Chips 2.0 (much better version of their protein chips, the 2.0 of barbecue is now publicly available)
- Tortilla Chips
- The new bar flavors I mentioned
- Cereal bars, which are fucking amazing but way too expensive for their macros at the moment. These are gonna be HUGE if they bring the price down.

And now they have keto salted crackers too, which I literally just found out about as I went to get the link at the start of this post.

Mmmmmmmmmm

LaneDS

I'm hearing a tearing noise in my right arm when I do pull-ups... is this a "wait a week and see what how it feels" or a "go to a doctor immediately" kind of thing? Can fully extend and move the arm, but have a bit of pain if I rotate my hand around with it outstretched.

So I shifted from gym treadmill running to outdoor running.

Much much better, treadmill running is so freaking boring it's not even funny

Anyways the real question is : it's recommended to cut to the weight I want before bulking with weights correct?

Peterthumpa

So GAF, I'm starting at the gym (again) after more than 2 years. I'm pretty slim, and the goal is to gain some mass (don't wanna look like Vin Diesel), so nothing too absurd.

- can I go everyday or are there real benefits to rest the muscles for 48 hours after the last workout?

- thinking about trying some creatinine/BCAA/Whey and something similar to speed up the process, but again, nothing really extreme. Advisable? Safe for my health?

- what should I eat in between meals and breakfast / before sleeping? Eggs are a given afaik, anything else?

- Is cardio advisable? Although slim, I have a *very* small belly, almost nothing but I want to lose it anyway. Or will cardio just make me lose most of the things gained by lifting? Also, is cardio better first or last?

I'm kind of a newbie (as you can see), so take it easy. I'm open to suggestions.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't been around much, but I'm still out there working hard. I've drastically reduced my lifting in favor of rock climbing and a return to bodyweight exercises, however.

lzGP70Q.jpg

Working my first 3 12-hour shifts back to back. I'll be running around, so i'll get good cardio, but all I can think about is how the lift on friday is going to go. #sore.

Currently doing 12 hr shifts 6 days a week due to medicine rotation in 3rd year. I pretty much go from the hospital to the gym to get my workouts in, but I may have to stop because I'm leaving myself like 0 time to study. I hate it

Definitely learn deadlift.

As for lat activation - you'll need to learn that mind-muscle connection. A couple of things to help eject your biceps to a degree and really feel it in your lats:

Lower the weight

Do not "grip" the bar. Thumb should go on the same side as your fingers. Gripping the bar and squeezing like it's a baseball bat will shift focus to your biceps. Hook your had and thumb over the bar, just keep your fingers tight and DO NOT squeeze the bar.

Use wraps if needed to help the above

"Pull with your elbows", not you arms. Lead with the elbows as you pull back and keep them wide. You want to focus the movement using your upper arm, imagine a rope tied to your elbows pulling them back.

Start at the shoulders - at full extension while carrying the load, your first movement before your elbows move should be to pull with the shoulder blades downwards until they bottom then smoothly continue with the elbows. Many people just hang from the bar and it pulls their shoulders up and together, you want them down and wide. Don't keep them loose.

TLDR;
Lower weight
No thumb grip
Pull with elbows
Lead with shoulders down and wide

Try to take as much of the arm out of the equation.

I'm reading that "exercise sucks" thread and I wonder if a lot of you guys are getting something out of it that a lot of them (and I) don't... and that helps you stick with it, whereas they don't.

Don't get me wrong, injury / lethargy breaks aside I've been doing it a few years now and I'm unlikely to stop again... but I still hate every minute of it, and it's only because I'm fucking stubborn that I manage to stick with it.

Dany

Banned
Currently doing 12 hr shifts 6 days a week due to medicine rotation in 3rd year. I pretty much go from the hospital to the gym to get my workouts in, but I may have to stop because I'm leaving myself like 0 time to study. I hate it
D: That sounds horrible. You should probably study moreso than you hit the gym.

It sucks because my gym is 30 minutes away, I would totaly get a workout in before I eat and sleep if I could.

I'm reading that "exercise sucks" thread and I wonder if a lot of you guys are getting something out of it that a lot of them (and I) don't... and that helps you stick with it, whereas they don't.

Don't get me wrong, injury / lethargy breaks aside I've been doing it a few years now and I'm unlikely to stop again... but I still hate every minute of it, and it's only because I'm fucking stubborn that I manage to stick with it.

I love it, I love the feel the of lifting weights, doing cardio and seeing the progress. After a a good run I feel great, after a good lifting session I feel great. Feels like I've accomplished something well.

Belt like Psycho said or stick a dumbbell between your knees. This will also teach you to tighten your whole body during pullups to limit any body motion that will help you pull yourself up. Stiff like a board straight down to your toes.

I took people's advice and tried weighted pull ups with a 8lb pound dumbbell between my knees. I was pretty amazed by how much harder eight pounds made pull ups. I did the original P90X Chest & Back routine and did about 25 fewer pull ups compared to two weeks ago when I last did it. I definitely feel it in my lats right now.

Szu

For me, I exercise for purpose, not pleasure. Not to be vain, but I see a lot of people at my age who don't look as fit and healthy as me.

Now, there are plenty of factors that contribute to this outcome, so I never judge people but I do notice it.

And I know that my diet and training are the two main factors for me. So, I do my best to maintain this level.

BumRush

I've been able to use the gym as a means to relieve all my stress. I visualize leaving my workout refreshed and stress free, and 99% of the time it works. I'm a better person, husband and dad because of it.

For that reason, I look forward to working out.

lol, yeah without context, my post was a disaster

So GAF, I'm starting at the gym (again) after more than 2 years. I'm pretty slim, and the goal is to gain some mass (don't wanna look like Vin Diesel), so nothing too absurd.

1 can I go everyday or are there real benefits to rest the muscles for 48 hours after the last workout?

2 thinking about trying some creatinine/BCAA/Whey and something similar to speed up the process, but again, nothing really extreme. Advisable? Safe for my health?

3 what should I eat in between meals and breakfast / before sleeping? Eggs are a given afaik, anything else?

4 Is cardio advisable? Although slim, I have a *very* small belly, almost nothing but I want to lose it anyway. Or will cardio just make me lose most of the things gained by lifting? Also, is cardio better first or last?

I'm kind of a newbie (as you can see), so take it easy. I'm open to suggestions.

1). you can go everyday if you want (wouldn't recommend it as you'll burn out FAST) but you shouldn't repeat the same muscle group on back-to-back days (e.g. don't do deadlifts and squats on monday and bent rows and lunges on Tuesday)
2). safe for your health, yes, as long as you buy reputable products and take as recommended. Just know that you don't need anything, as those supps will not replace solid training and eating.
3). If you're trying to gain size, you need to eat at a caloric surplus. There's a great link in the OP to a calorie website that will help you figure out how much you should eat, and what percentage of fat / carbs / protein.
4). I'd recommend HIIT 3X per week. Do 10 minutes on the treadmill alternating between speed 10 for a minute and speed 6 for a minute (if you can). Otherwise, lifting alone will burn a lot of calories / fat

Haven't been around much, but I'm still out there working hard. I've drastically reduced my lifting in favor of rock climbing and a return to bodyweight exercises, however.

lzGP70Q.jpg

Arms looking shredded dude! Definitely getting that %BF down!

mdsfx

For me, I exercise for purpose, not pleasure. Not to be vain, but I see a lot of people at my age who don't look as fit and healthy as me.

Now, there are plenty of factors that contribute to this outcome, so I never judge people but I do notice it.

And I know that my diet and training are the two main factors for me. So, I do my best to maintain this level.

I used to lift on and off when I younger, but I was never fit. A few years ago my father called me to tell me how terribly his friends and those around him were aging. He urged me to do him a favor and workout, by doing anything I wanted for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week for 3 weeks.

Well I forced myself through it and I remember the first week was terrible. The second week was slightly less awful. Third week was actually kind of OK and by then I had started a habit that I began to actually enjoy. Haven't stopped ever since.

Thanks dad (you tricky old bastard)!

Metroxed

So I'm hoping you'll be able to help me because I'm at a loss of confusion and indecision due conflictive advice.

I'm 23, male, smallish frame, 5'4''/164cm and around 57kg (128lbs) and according to my estimates around 17% of body fat. Although I have been going to a gym for about two years, I do not consider I'm out of the beginners phase due to a set of bad decisions and just lack of knowledge. I am trying to do things right this time.

I've been stuck at very low weights in my lifts (around 25kg/55lbs in bench press, no joking) for the longest time and I feel quite weak. I've been told to bulk for a time and grow some muscle, increase strength and improve my lifts. Cutting now would have little point because there is no muscle below the fat and it would affect my lifts as a "beginner".

I thought it was a good idea and that's what I've been doing for the past month (carefully, just 300-400 cals over my TDEE), and indeed my lifts have started to improve and I can feel some noob gains in my body.

However everywhere I go on the Internet, they say not to bulk with 17% body fat, but instead cut until you're at 10-11% and then increase size. I have tried this in the past (I went from 59kg to 54kg in around 6-7 months), but in the end I was just scrawny, skinny and barely able to lift, so I don't know if it is worth it.

So now I'm at a loss, what would you recommend?

TL;DR
Right now I am 58kg/17% body fat/weak
Should I bulk and build some muscle so I can lift decently (terrible stats right now) or
should I cut until I'm at 10-11% (literally a stick because I have no muscle) and then bulk?

KillerBEA

I love the feeling of getting stronger and brutally pushing myself to be better. I get a massive high from kicking my ass at the gym.

So I'm hoping you'll be able to help me because I'm at a loss of confusion and indecision due conflictive advice.

I'm 23, male, smallish frame, 5'4''/164cm and around 57kg (128lbs) and according to my estimates around 17% of body fat. Although I have been going to a gym for about two years, I do not consider I'm out of the beginners phase due to a set of bad decisions and just lack of knowledge. I am trying to do things right this time.

I've been stuck at very low weights in my lifts (around 25kg/55lbs in bench press, no joking) for the longest time and I feel quite weak. I've been told to bulk for a time and grow some muscle, increase strength and improve my lifts. Cutting now would have little point because there is no muscle below the fat and it would affect my lifts as a "beginner".

I thought it was a good idea and that's what I've been doing for the past month (carefully, just 300-400 cals over my TDEE), and indeed my lifts have started to improve and I can feel some noob gains in my body.

However everywhere I go on the Internet, they say not to bulk with 17% body fat, but instead cut until you're at 10-11% and then increase size. I have tried this in the past (I went from 59kg to 54kg in around 6-7 months), but in the end I was just scrawny, skinny and barely able to lift, so I don't know if it is worth it.

So now I'm at a loss, what would you recommend?

TL;DR
Right now I am 58kg/17% body fat/weak
Should I bulk and build some muscle so I can lift decently (terrible stats right now) or
should I cut until I'm at 10-11% (literally a stick because I have no muscle) and then bulk?

Bulk and build some strength/muscle. Your bf% will decrease due to the increase in lean mass and you will be stronger which will feel awesome. Also being stronger means you will potentiate more muscle growth.

I am definitely not sub 15% and I am currently bulking to make the most of of newb gains and my insane motivation levels right now.

Top Bottom