• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

bc1ce372-20e6-4c7b-b1b4-4efee113ebfe.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jul 18, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 18, 2024)
  • PC (Jul 18, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jul 18, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 18, 2024)
Trailers:

Developer: A44 Games

Publisher: Kepler Interactive

Critic Reviews​

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Rent

"Flintlock takes inspiration from so many titles that it gets lost in its ideas and never lands one of its own. Often uninspired, frequently creaky in its execution, and usually unsurprising in its mediocrity."

Enternity.gr - Konstantinos Kalkanis - Greek - 7 / 10

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn is a more "layered" experience with a clear beginning, middle and end, no endgame and very limited grind. And ultimately, for that very reason - despite its missteps - it achieves what it sets out to do.

GamingTrend - Henry Viola - 60 / 100

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn is by no means a bad game, but in a sea of other Souls copycats, this one does very little to stand out. Put into the perspective of its multiple delays and overall unpolish, it's clear that this is an easy skip to play better options out there. Or at least wait until it's heavily discounted…

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 6 / 10

A game that lacks sense of direction, with an exposition as bland as its gameplay. On paper, some things could have been interesting but when you actual play the game they feel disconnected.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 75 / 100

Quote not yet available

Press Start - James Wood - 6 / 10

Despite a dazzling art direction and one killer new hook for the Souls-adjacent combat loop, Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn struggles under the weight of unnecessary RPG systems and an overarching lack of refinement to its many ideas.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

Quote not yet available

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Maiellano - Italian - 7 / 10

Setting an invasion of the undead, led by a ruthless pantheon, in an American Civil War context could be a good enough reason on its own to give Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn a chance. But if you add to this a gameplay that, although clearly inspired by its more famous counterparts, manages to present a handful of truly interesting ideas, then there are no real reasons not to try A44 Games' production at least once.

WellPlayed - Adam Ryan - 6 / 10

Killing Gods in the magical world of Kian sounds appealing on paper, but the needless Soulslike elements and uninspired gameplay drain the life out of an otherwise promising premise.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7.8 / 10

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn is a lot of fun if you engage with all of it. At first, I was flying through the main quest before I slowed down and explored every inch of each map. Once I made that change I went from enjoying my time to loving it. It’s not the tightest game out there, but it has a lot of great ideas that come together for a package well worth experience.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm really looking forward to it. I don't ever trust review numbers on AA games, but this is a little lower than I expected.

Watching gameplay videos it seems like a typical swimming in 7s action game. More mobility than I expected; double jump, dashing, etc. Looked fun to me.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
ACG kinda crushed it. Said the area designs are nonsensical and bland and it has a mechanic where you need to defeat all of an area's enemies to advance and some of these areas have multiple levels where you missed a couple guys and have to climb around to look for that one guy you missed otherwise you can't progress. I've always hated when games do that.

This game looks like it has some interesting things, but seems like a game I'll wait for to pickup.

Also, multiple reviewers have compared this to Forespoken. I guess because of the gameplay style and character/world designs.

Fbh

Gold Member
Was just watching the ACG review and yeah it looks pretty bland.
Props to whoever edited the trailers though, I thought it looked pretty good in some of them but seeing more raw and unedited gameplay in the ACG review it definitely looks a bit rough

This always seemed like the 7/10 kind of game that's my jam. It's the other stuff ideological stuff packed in that makes me wary.

Always thought a bit strange people liked to paint Lara/Nate with a tinge of racism, not to mention the colonialism angle, when stuff like this comes out and nary a peep.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Played for about 20 minutes. Seems decent so far. There are difficulty settings. Not having a stamina bar feels good. Gun parry is reminiscent of Bloodborne.

Ashen was a pretty solid souls-like, this one seems to have more accessibility options for the layman player like myself, so that's nice.

Top Bottom