• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn | Review Thread

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Session #2. Been having fun so far tonight. And yeah I like Nor's character design a lot. Cool outfit. Cool costume changes. Cool armor pieces. I like the hatchet and the guns. Just got grenades too.

I cant see it rising above a 7 ever at this point but I still have a ways to go. Feel like I havent seen a true boss yet.

Punished Miku

I'm at the Revenant. That's actually a pretty legit decent boss fight. Nothing earth shattering but you can follow the tells after a few tries and it works well. A couple interesting ideas in there. Not bad.

Also I love the way you can constantly place little side bets. You always have a percentage that builds up until you get hit. So you can cash it in anytime at low % or hold out for 50% modifiers and get a bunch of money. Works better when you hold thousands, but you risk losing it if you die twice. Cool little side thing.

The warp teleporting is simple but a entertertaining way to get between areas.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
akOrQpS.jpeg

rT7ldUo.jpeg

FOpOkFC.jpeg

Punished Miku

The game is kinda low-key awesome sometimes. Have the pauldron that gives you 2 extra musket shots if you nail the active reload. Just sniping 2-3 people in encounters quickly now. Then curse kill someone or float them. Gun counter the next guy or parry. Its fun when it all actually works.

Punished Miku

Most of it is a bit jank, but what starts to stand out is how many little systems they layer on there that are fun to switch between without feeling overwhelming. In 60 seconds you can do platforming into combat, melee counter and armor destroy, magic, sniper elite headshot, Gears of War reload then switch to Bloodborne pistol counter.

Last edited:

Roberts

The more I play it the more I like it. A little bit of jank has never stopped me from enjoying a game if its world is fun to explore and the world in this one is pretty cool. There are many cool systems and gameplay elements to make your progression seem worth fighting for. I like it when your character occasionally makes 'come at me' remark when facing an enemy. Also, the whole SBI snark on this thread is clearly unnecessary - the game is no more woke than what most of the stuff you play on regular basis.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

How is the level design? Is it more open ended or is it tight and interconnected ala Dark Souls?
I definitely wouldnt call it open world. More linear. But its all interconnected. You mostly go through platforming or combat challenges in wide linear or linear areas and then unlock some minimal shortcuts to cut through it the next time. You touch statues that open rifts you can warp to for little shortcuts, kind of like platforming. I'll grab a gif of it. Level design is serviceable. Nothing too remarkable but some areas look nice.

Mr Hyde

I definitely wouldnt call it open world. More linear. But its all interconnected. You mostly go through platforming or combat challenges in wide linear or linear areas and then unlock some minimal shortcuts to cut through it the next time. You touch statues that open rifts you can warp to for little shortcuts, kind of like platforming. I'll grab a gif of it. Level design is serviceable. Nothing too remarkable but some areas look nice.

Sounds good. I'm on the fence about this game so it's great to read your impressions about it. The review scores were a bit low but the game looks cool, especially the combat with the flintlocks and parrying reminiscent of Bloodborne (I love that mechanic).

Feels a lot less janky to play than most of the souls like games folk rave about at least. Hoping I can get some more extravagant Napoleonic era tunics as I go along

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Sounds good. I'm on the fence about this game so it's great to read your impressions about it. The review scores were a bit low but the game looks cool, especially the combat with the flintlocks and parrying reminiscent of Bloodborne (I love that mechanic).
My opinion honestly keeps changing. Started liking it, then thought it was a bit bad, now really liking it. I wouldnt be able to confidently recommend it to people, but I'm honestly enjoying it despite some issues.

Here's what a small shortcut looks like. Some are much longer with multiple portals chained together.

Punished Miku

Just got another pretty nice additional gun option. Gotta say I'm loving the game now. You really get to strategize how to approach enemy groups between the platforming, sniping and multiple item and gun attack options.

Mr Hyde

My opinion honestly keeps changing. Started liking it, then thought it was a bit bad, now really liking it. I wouldnt be able to confidently recommend it to people, but I'm honestly enjoying it despite some issues.

Here's what a small shortcut looks like. Some are much longer with multiple portals chained together.

I think you have a pretty good taste, somewhat similar to mine in regards to AA and indie, so Flintlock should be something that could be interesting to me. I don't mind games with lower budget or flawed execution, they can still be fun to play or present unique ideas and gameplay.

Punished Miku

Got through a major boss last night. Well designed, challenging but fair. Game just opened up again after that. Story and characters are getting a little better too. Level design has gotten significantly better than the initial areas.

Most armored enemies now and bosses, that shadow partner skill is practically required just to even survive and remove their armor before you die. Feels like an original combat system now, with many obvious influences.

Punished Miku

Combat is sick as hell as you get more abilities. Poise Shot is also incredibly strong. Now that I've seen later areas, game kind of reminds me of Avowed. You control the fox attacks too so you can stagger all of it in cool ways.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is something I'd be interested in if the world looked interesting to explore or the platforming sections looked more elaborate. The game seems largely driven by combat though and the combat in the reviews just didn't interest me. I don't think I'm going to pick a game like this up until it goes on a really good sale unless I think I'm going to have a blast platforming or exploring.

Gonzito

I tried it and didnt like it personally. The combat, the animations and how enemies react when getting hit reminded me to Valhalla, which is not flattering. If you do a game where the main focus is the combat you have to nail it and these guys havent

Punished Miku

This is one of my favorite action RPGs of all time. I dont really care if anyone else agrees or plays it. This is the Wanted: Dead of action RPGs I guess. Since its so divisive I wont recommend it to anyone, but its been hard to turn the game off. Each fight is super fun. Some of the secrets are fun to find on the map. Story and characters are cool. Side quests are nothing truly amazing but better than I expected for this game and more than good enough to be worth doing and all have pretty good rewards. The game trusts you to find hidden little boosts in combat and platforming that arent always explained, kind of like a Capcom game a bit.

Main downside at this point is just a mostly absent OST and some occasional rough edges. Had audio partially cut out twice and that went away with a restart so hopefully that gets patched.

Last edited:

This is one of my favorite action RPGs of all time. I dont really care if anyone else agrees or plays it. This is the Wanted: Dead of action RPGs I guess. Since its so divisive I wont recommend it to anyone, but its been hard to turn the game off. Each fight is super fun. Some of the secrets are fun to find on the map. Story and characters are cool. Side quests are nothing truly amazing but better than I expected for this game and more than good enough to be worth doing and all have pretty good rewards. The game trusts you to find hidden little boosts in combat and platforming that arent always explained, kind of like a Capcom game a bit.

Main downside at this point is just a mostly absent OST and some occasional rough edges. Had audio partially cut out twice and that went away with a restart so hopefully that gets patched.

Favorite action RPGs of all time? Ummmm k. Which others would be on your list.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

There is a breakable wall in Kneeling Keep that I cant find a breaching barrel for.

Flintlock-The-Siege-of-Dawn-2024-07-23-17-54-47.png

Ive looked around in the factory but cant see any.
I'll look when I get home, but if I already picked it up I won't really be able to tell where it was. From my experience every barrel is pretty close by. Must be a well hidden one. There's a few well hidden things in the game I've encountered.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

2nd to the last boss down. It was fantastic. Pretty close to Hino-Enma in Nioh quality level. Boss before that was great too. Died multiple times, but it was fun the entire time. Challenging but fair, and both fights were pretty different.

Last edited:

Acidjuice

this game is actually pretty sick, the worst part is the movement and jump is floaty but it has some really decent mechanics and does difficulty and map exploration very well. plus the charaters have nice personality and the monster designs are sick as hell. The skill trees are cool as fuck too because of how they blend into each other and cater to different play styles.
Trying to balance out each mechanic in fighs has been pretty fun so far.
I'll edit this with a number rating once ive finished the story, but it also seems like it sets itself up for multiple playthroughs.

Punished Miku

Beat the game last night. Going to land on a 9/10. I loved the game. Right up at the top of my favorite games this year short list (probably 2nd place).

I felt the final boss was pretty impressive in design and move set; had some interesting moves and was pretty challenging the first few times for sure. Virtually all the bosses were high quality with fair tells, interesting moves. Story had some cool beats and leaves the door open for more (and it would be awesome), which we sadly will probably never get. The characters were great, and the lore and world they created was really enjoyable. They really nailed that fun and admirable comradery for the Sappers, and it's probably one of my favorite fantasy job classes ever. Just inserting a civil war / WWI era soldier into a fantasy world is such a fun concept. Nora and Enki were easily my favorite characters of the year so far, both with flaws and positive traits, both with subtle character growth that didn't feel overbearing for an action game. I guess this team is from New Zealand, and you can pick up on that cool Kiwi toughness in the Sapper dialogue, reminded me a bit of the stuntmen talking in the LOTR behind the scenes stuff (that's about all I've seen of New Zealand).

And as I've said above in most of my other posts in the thread, the combat was incredible in this game. It's just rare that I am having so much fun with specific abilities in the skill tree that I'm gushing about just an ability, but I felt that way on multiple of them. Sapper Punch, Poise Shot, Shadow Partner, mortar shot, the critical hits that explode curse everywhere, and more. Just was great. The game's mobility was awesome as well, and the game has enjoyable platforming and warp shortcuts throughout.

Definitely going to buy this at some point soon to own it, and will replay it in a bit on the hardest difficulty. No new game+ as far as I can tell, FYI. Again, only real weakness was the OST was just a bit too hands off and subtle; felt absent. And I did have some audio bugs that they need to fix, but that was it. And for the record I literally didn't see a single "woke" thing in the game, so congrats on killing the game for nothing I guess.

This will go down as one of the most underrated action RPGs of all time considering the inexplicable and idiotic responses I've seen to this game. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:

Roberts

I'm still playing this (probably 1/3 way through) and enjoying every minute of it. It's kind of interesting how this reminds me of Fallen Atlas - both games were made by relatively unknown developers and their previous games were one of the first Souls rip-offs (The Surge and Ashen). Both developers expand gameplay mechanics and overall ambitions in similar ways to a point where they don't feel like mere coincidences (both games have lesser gods as their companions, teleport jumps and so on), but Flintlock is clearly a superior game. I like a more linear nature of interconnected paths compared to four or five wider hubs in FA. The game is more focused and the gameplay is more tight. The characters are more interesting and visually it looks better.

Orbital2060

There is a breakable wall in Kneeling Keep that I cant find a breaching barrel for.

Flintlock-The-Siege-of-Dawn-2024-07-23-17-54-47.png

Ive looked around in the factory but cant see any.
I found the barrel and there is a cursed stone behind the breach, which is kinda important to acquire. I dont know if you can go back here later from the next map. But I think youre supposed to have both poison and ruin stones before moving on.

Flintlock-The-Siege-of-Dawn-2024-07-25-23-48-01.png

The barrel is located fairly close but you have to do some platforming to get around to it, and then its hidden behind some crates on a ramp, easy to miss.

Flintlock-The-Siege-of-Dawn-2024-07-25-23-46-42.png

Punished Miku

I found the barrel and there is a cursed stone behind the breach, which is kinda important to acquire. I dont know if you can go back here later from the next map. But I think youre supposed to have both poison and ruin stones before moving on.

Flintlock-The-Siege-of-Dawn-2024-07-25-23-48-01.png

The barrel is located fairly close but you have to do some platforming to get around to it, and then its hidden behind some crates on a ramp, easy to miss.

Flintlock-The-Siege-of-Dawn-2024-07-25-23-46-42.png
Yeah I did look for it but I figured I already found that one. I did get that stone. Glad you found it. There were a couple feathers I couldnt find a route to. Will try and get 100% on a 2nd playthrough on hard later.

Top Bottom