• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn | Review Thread

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
PLC2hX4.jpeg

The Sweet Baby kiss of death strikes again.

It is typical of most games coming out anymore today. Black female leads or manly women. Got to love that diversity eh?
It's annoying because diversity can be so cool. Like Far Cry 2. In that game you have like 10 different characters to pick from, each one from a different country. On my most recent play through (that I still haven't finished for 12 years lmao) I picked the Jamaican character so that my characters hands would be black because I wanted to feel like an actual African fighting in his own country.

Mirrors Edge, female Japanese character who is fucking awesome.

Tchia, you basically play as Dora the Explorer from New Caledonia, a French Polynesian girl, one of the most diverse characters possible and that game is fucking awesome! Now they did make her have a gay kiss which made me crack up because it was pretty unnecessary but whatever.

It's not that hard make a good character.

Jaybe

The only thing better than watching these games crash and burn, is reading a handful of Ree comments saying they just bought the game and it still crashes.
The funniest is when they imply they bought it (“downloading now!”) but reality is they are using the sweat from their time in the Bing search mines to play the MS Rewards funded ‘free’ game pass edition version of the game

Woke vapid throwaway junk.

The SBI influence was obvious from the first announcement. Why do devs continue to think that people want to play this shit?

What's even worse is that even the woke tard gaming media who sucks SBI's transcock are shitting on this POS. So, if even the proponents of DEI and wokeness in gaming won't play this tripe, why does this shit keep getting made? And how are hacks like SBI still getting business?

BigBeauford

Woke vapid throwaway junk.

The SBI influence was obvious from the first announcement. Why do devs continue to think that people want to play this shit?

What's even worse is that even the woke tard gaming media who sucks SBI's transcock are shitting on this POS. So, if even the proponents of DEI and wokeness in gaming won't play this tripe, why does this shit keep getting made? And how are hacks like SBI still getting business?
These projects have been in the pipeline for years, while we are only at about month 5 of the public consciousness. But it was been a terrible 5 months for virtually all of these projects (Alan Wake, Suicide Squad, Zau, and probably this).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just goes to show how much certain Twitter accounts live rent-free in their heads
IMO that’s actually a funny and clever thread title. And hey, if they want to own it and admit that Sweet Baby = activists, I’m glad, let them own it. At least they are being somewhat open about their intentions instead of gaslighting and claiming it’s about modern audiences being diverse and wanting this garbage.

I have a new lies of p meter , any game below lies of p I dnt play anymore
Lies of p was a refreshing gp day 1 game this just looks bad tbh

This will decide my purchase.

Is there lots of quips and quirky characters?

Will this game's writing be like if Joss Whedon shat out the script and dialogue after doing a night of coke with Iger?

Will this game attempt to address generational systemic colonizing oppressive problematic hetero-normative capitalism with sassy surface-level metacommentary?

If so, sign me the fuck up. I am mailing the devs my wallet. This is my shit!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
This game feels like a first-time student project. One 45 minute session was enough for me. Uninstalled.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
wVdSIZt.jpeg

Annnnnd it looks like it peaked at a whopping 648 concurrent players on launch day. Hope that DEI money was worth it!

On the bright side, that’s more than DOUBLE what Tales of Kenzera: Zau did

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm only 20 min but its pretty fun. I swear people don't play any AA games. You can tell this is a lower budget game from a small team. But almost immediately if you actually play low budget games, you can tell this is probably the most ambitious game this team has ever made. Its trying to be a legit 3D action game with story, spectacle, cutscenes and voice acting with a companion not unlike God of War. So far combat feels a bit loose, but its not bad. There's already multiple systems in play like firearms, melee, magic curse meter, armor removal, etc.
The weird thing about low budget games is that the more advanced they get, the harsher they get judged. Its a total paradox. If a game looks like an 8 bit action game with pretty much no story and simplistic graphics like say Pepper Grinder, everyone is used to accepting that. But get a low budget game like Flintlock that is striving to be a more complex and modern 3d spectacle action game mimicking modern games and suddenly everyone can only see how they fell short, not how much more advanced it is than most low budget stuff.

Anyway, I'm way too early to really give a real opinion yet so we'll see. But if you like low budget action games like say Gungrave, you'll have absolutely no problem here.

ungalo

I'm only 20 min but its pretty fun. I swear people don't play any AA games. You can tell this is a lower budget game from a small team. But almost immediately if you actually play low budget games, you can tell this is probably the most ambitious game this team has ever made. Its trying to be a legit 3D action game with story, spectacle, cutscenes and voice acting with a companion not unlike God of War. So far combat feels a bit loose, but its not bad. There's already multiple systems in play like firearms, melee, magic curse meter, armor removal, etc.
The weird thing about low budget games is that the more advanced they get, the harsher they get judged. Its a total paradox. If a game looks like an 8 bit action game with pretty much no story and simplistic graphics like say Pepper Grinder, everyone is used to accepting that. But get a low budget game like Flintlock that is striving to be a more complex and modern 3d spectacle action game mimicking modern games and suddenly everyone can only see how they fell short, not how much more advanced it is than most low budget stuff.

Anyway, I'm way too early to really give a real opinion yet so we'll see. But if you like low budget action games like say Gungrave, you'll have absolutely no problem here.
It's true for some games that actually try to do something different, but as for Flintlock, we just don't need this game. It's generic action/adventure (i insist on the generic part, it's modern game-design all the way with a fake singular core idea to make it looks like it's its own thing but it's not genuine) that's lacking in every department. I already dislike this kind of formula in AAA it's not to have it made cheaper (and worse).

I have more fun on No More Heroes 3 than this, despite the low budget, it's made by people who want to do their own thing. I only played Flintlock for one hour but it doesn't feel creative, or even sincere, in any way. We don't want this type of game anymore.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Those are AAA behemoths with AAA marketing budgets, and also they all came out way before the awareness about SBI started.

Some IP still has enough credits to overcome the SBI influence. This newcomer obviously did not.

… or we could go with the more rational line of thinking, in that Flintlock was never going to be a big seller regardless, and that the vast, vast majority of consumers have no clue Sweet Baby was even involved with the game.

… or we could go with the more rational line of thinking, in that Flintlock was never going to be a big seller regardless, and that the vast, vast majority of consumers have no clue Sweet Baby was even involved with the game.

Well a lot more people know who Sweet Baby are now and so whatever minimum sales they did hope to achieve, it was even less as a result.

Jaybe

Lies of P is a similar game to Flintlock yet has a Steam CCU peak of 19,600.

Punished Miku

Well thats it for tonight. Maybe 2.5 hrs in. Its such a weird mixed bag. There are lots of cool ideas but they do all have minor annoyances that hold it back. I might end up agreeing with the reviews on this one and settle on a 6.5. We'll see. Its just weird because some elements feel more like a 7.5, and some elements feel like a 6. Definitely multiple rough edges. I feel like I have inputs eaten on the block sometimes. The aim sensitivity for the musket is ridiculous and feels terrible. But I like the platforming mobility and some of the environments arent bad at all. Honestly the main character design is the best in the game so far. She looks kinda cool actually but all the other NPCs are just totally forgettable.

Punished Miku

So back and forth on this lol. Just had a cool fight. So 2 tips.

When using the musket, clicking the right stick changes to somewhat normal aim speed instead of super speed. On bosses with heavy armor, I just had to spam curse and keep a bullet ready for counters and play defensively until he was finally worn down. Worked way better.

Top Bottom