• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn | Review Thread

Jaybe

Lies of P is a far superior game to this. Not really even close. This is much lower budget, with more issues.

I’m not disagreeing on what game is superior but do you have numbers on the budget for the much lower statement? A44 games (flintlock) shows as having 45-ish employees now and about 66 employees a year ago on Linkedin. Wiki says it was developed by 60 people. Round8 was a mobile developer, and I can’t seem to source their employee count but seems on the small end. I know neowiz, a larger company helped. Wiki says Lies is P Development began around 2020.[41][42]Within two years, the team expanded from 60 to 100 people . I wouldn’t call that much lower personally. There is a thread about how a44 leadership misspent development funds earlier in this thread. Similar-ish dollars seem to have been spent despite a wide gap in quality resulting.

Jaybe

Except Lie of P has received wayyy better reviews and word of mouth.
You said:
Flintlock was never going to be a big seller
Is your point that Flintlock is a poorly reviewed game so it was never going to be a big seller?? Seems like an argument made after the fact/release vs expectations that would have been had prior to release, during development.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I’m not disagreeing on what game is superior but do you have numbers on the budget for the much lower statement? A44 games (flintlock) shows as having 45-ish employees now and about 66 employees a year ago on Linkedin. Wiki says it was developed by 60 people. Round8 was a mobile developer, and I can’t seem to source their employee count but seems on the small end. I know neowiz, a larger company helped. Wiki says Lies is P Development began around 2020.[41][42]Within two years, the team expanded from 60 to 100 people . I wouldn’t call that much lower personally. There is a thread about how a44 leadership misspent development funds earlier in this thread. Similar-ish dollars seem to have been spent despite a wide gap in quality resulting.
No numbers I was just guessing. Lies of P is so much more polished it would be surprising if they have similar budgets. No idea.

GymWolf

Gold Member
a2D7eJh.jpeg

max settings on 4k w dlss + frame gen

game is pretty

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheSweeper

Played the start, did not like it at all. No achievements for playing on easy mode sucks. Also the game is really ugly and the fights (especially dodging/blocking) feel weirdly unresponsive. Shame, I hoped this would be a fun action adventure.

GHG

Gold Member
BTW, anyone knows what game engine it's using?

Unreal engine 4.

Only played for an hour or so but this isn’t bad. Slightly below the comparable Banishers as far as recent ambitious AA games go but totally playable.

Sorry, but considering the sheer number of games releasing, just being "playable" shouldn't be enough.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Hey, I remember this game looking cool. I'm definitely trying it, but a it disappointed about the reviews.
It's the Gamepass effect. "Oh, it's a mediocre game but since it's 'free' I'm not going to judge it as harshly as I'd otherwise do."

Only the game isn't free of course.
I get what you're saying, but reviewers for big publications do tend to get codes for free anyway so not sure that is the main reason.

Wildebeest

It has that Unreal Engine aesthetic of looking very bland and having bad image quality, but you know it is going to bring a top end PC to its knees and run at 20 FPS.

thatJohann

I kinda hate the combat. Not really enjoying it, enemy attacks feel really hard to dodge or block without getting hit. They're always doing those red glowing unblockable attacks. Meh.

GymWolf

Gold Member
From the reactions i'm getting to my post with the pic i guess many gaffers are daltonic and didn't noticed the purple color...

DragonNCM

Game is good, not very good but good. I'm around 1h in game & it have good combat mechanics.
Story is boring but who cares. GP material for sure.

Aion002

I played 2 hours of it today and I have mixed feelings.

There are some cool ideas on it, but there's a huge lack of polish on pretty much everything.

The story seems cool, but is terribly told.

The world is interesting, but the level design is bland.

The combat has cool mechanics, but is janky and floaty.

The art style is unique, but is also a mess because they added so many different styles that just ends up looking weird.

I can tolerate a bad game that does one great thing, but I don't think I can tolerate an ok game that doesn't do anything great.

thatJohann

Had to switch it to Story mode difficulty and enable god mode cause I suck at these games. With god mode enabled I’m enjoying it. This is why I want easy mode and god mode for Elden ring. Crazy difficulty.
eHr7WJp.jpeg

thatJohann

Also gamma is kinda broken and makes things look washed out in HDR in LG OLEDs.

Pro tip. Set gamma at 38. Everything looks so much better. Adds the kick it’s missing at level 50.

laynelane

Elevated it straight into the garbage bin. Congrats!

wstfvdY.png

What the fuck does this even mean? This is some Kamala Harris-tier word salad.

I always took that passage as the words of a person who's been gaslit and has no conception of it.

thatJohann

This game is so insanely hard. If it wasn’t for story mode and god mode I wouldn’t have made it 1 hour into it. Enjoying the invincibility setting and making progress. Some cool fights.

Top Bottom