• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2011 - Atlantic Translation: World Soccer Manager |OT|

Jackano said:
Thanks for the info. I'm really hyped this year!

No worries, hope you enjoy it!

--

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/229613-Football-Manager-2011-demo-information

Over the weekend, Football Manager 2011 on PC & Mac went “gold” on 5 of the 8 versions of the disc that are due to be manufactured, with the other 3 discs turning up later today.

That means that work has now started on the demo, and I can now reveal when it will be released.
We are releasing the demo this year in 2 phases, with strawberry on Thursday (Steam only) and vanilla and strawberry torrent & direct download on Friday.

There are many reasons that we’ve decided to release the demo in this way this year. We basically don’t have enough time to get all the different versions built and tested by Wednesday night, so had to decide whether to release them all on Friday, or split them.

So last week, SEGA’s global marketing teams started talking to various possible partners to release the demo that would mean that everyone who wanted to get the strawberry demo on Thursday could do completely for free without breaking SIgames.com & FM.com (as happens every year), and those that were more patient, or didn’t want to use Steam for whatever reason, could still get the demo on what was the originally planned date of 2 weeks before release.

As mentioned above, the only other option was to delay all of the releases.

Our partners for the demo will be MirrorFootball in the UK, Marca in Spain, Veikkaaja in Finland and L’Equipe in France, but that does not mean that customers in other countries will be unable to get the demo. We will of course provide information at SIgames.com and footballmanager.com as soon as the demo is available so that any customer in the world is able to download the demo via Steam as soon as it goes live.

The demo will have 12 playable leagues – England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and is available in all languages.

At some point on Friday 22nd, we’ll make the demo available for direct download and torrent, and a vanilla version of the demo, which will feature just the English and Scottish leagues.

I know one of the first question I’ll be asked it “why choose to go with Steam first, rather than one of the others?”.

Now that it’s a PC and Mac distribution platform, everyone can get it via the system, it provides great download speeds, it will once again be one of the two options for installation for the boxed game (with lots of benefits, which I’ll be blogging about in the next couple of weeks) and is a system most of us here use without issue.

I’ve seen some posts on the forums that unfairly castigate Steam, such as blaming it for the activation issues regarding FM2009, which were nothing to do with Steam, but were caused by a denial of service attack on Uniloc’s servers, or blaming a bug in the game on Steam – a bug in the game is a bug in the game, and nothing to do with Steam at all.

Hopefully that answers that question.

As mentioned above, the links to the demo should be available here from Thursday morning – I would advise that if you’re looking to grab it quickly, that you download the Steam client in advance, which is available at www.steampowered.com, and then you’ll be just a couple of button clicks away from being able to grab it.

http://www.football-manager.info/articles/read/Football-Manager-2011-_-preview.html

Unsure if this guy's first language is English or not, but there's info in there for those who want to read it all. (EDIT: Actually its Polish!)

When nearly two years ago Football Manager 2009 stormed the world market of computer games, moods of excited players stretched from Newcastle to Plymouth. One group, blindfolded by the revolutionary 3D mode, saw a great successor to the previous version, while the other one, disappointed by the bad compression of the game code and more or less 5 press conferences, considered new game of the British producers as a mistake and remained with their old careers. Why am I mentioning this? Because it seems that an analogy to the FM 2008-09, where interface went under a small lifting, and someone not paying attention to the new features, could take the “orange” manager as a “red” one, might actually repeat in just a month. Might, but doesn't have to –there are as many similarities as differences and now everything depends on how players receive the game.

I had the distinction from the CM Revolution editorial staff, having preview version of Football Manager 2011 at my disposal. I completed with great pleasure the responsible duty of previewing it, given me by this occasion, and I recall more than pleasantly time spent on writing a review. Does this mean that new FM is faults free? Unfortunately, though I would like to say so, I can't guarantee that. However I promise, that I tried to be objective while writing the review of this game, using my experience as a long-term, avid FM player. I also hope that this text won't have to be changed – as it was in some years – after the premiere of the game, and if so, only in plus.

To be honest, while I was watching the download bar on famous Steam, I felt bigger excitement than before first use of any demo or final version. What's more, for forthcoming minutes, nothing could disturb this healthy emotions – everything from the start to the end went without any troubles, the installation took only 20 minutes, and not, what system suggested, an hour. Really simple launch by clicking the “play” button wasn't bugged as well (if I just remind the 2009 version...) and after a while, known themes showed on the desktop: logos of SI and SEGA, charity organizations and licensed trademarks, and in the end huge sign “Football Manager 2011” accustoms us to the new game colouring. I can easily say that the first meeting between my old computer and new FM was fine.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Not a major footie fan, but I've had a distanced interest in this series. I notice that Japan's leagues aren't in the OP's lists. Is there any reason for this? Have they always been omitted?

I think I played with a Japanese club for a while when they were first introduced however many years ago, but as usual I found managing any club not able to enter a major European league kind of boring after a while.

Looking forward to this, though. Isn't the demo tomorrow on Steam?

Every year they do this to me. I'll probably go straight to Juventus in the demo, as I usually do. Save Pro Vercelli's world domination for the full game, as I usually do.

I played it for about 20 minutes. UI seems better, but not sold on the 'player/journalist/whoever chats'. Match engine seems much improved.

pix

I played it before coming in to work for 20 mins. I love the new match engine, TV view really gives you perspective of player sizes, they don't look like ants running around the field. Animations are better and sounds are better. I like the new UI so far, but i need to mess around with it more. I like how you don't have to click "Respond to comment" everytime you answer a question for the media. I played as Arsenal against the reserve side.

Will give more impressions later.

Quincey

Banned
Is anyone else getting this error. It happens right when I click play on steam. "Warning: Failed to find a default database to use. Please make sure your installation is not corrupt." I have tried everything. Uninstalled and reinstalled at least 4 times. Updated everything on my computer. Im on a mac. Tried everything and keep getting the same result

Not sure on that one. Sounds like its not finding the default location for the database folder though. I'll see if I can find anything out.

Rad-

Just started the demo. Tottenham have a monster team this year. The starting lineup is statwise good enough to challenge for Champion's League, you don't really need to even buy more players! I still brought in Lukaku though, for 7.5 million €.

One thing I noticed is that the match engine seems to now properly play DMs. So the current fad 4-2-3-1 should be good this time around (it didn't work properly in FM10).

Lukaku is the new Bakayoko. :lol

But yeah if you don't have ~7m to blow on him, you can get him on loan for like 200k. It's kinda wild.

Omikron

Enjoying the demo a lot so far, as people have said above the new match engine is a huge step up, really nice.

As for the player chats... they are ok, they make you feel like you have a bit of input, but they need more options and/or more reactions to questions, as it seems like version 1 of the Media / Press conference.

Oh and a big plus is the new contract negotiation screen, no more month long back and forth negotiations, get it all done on the one screen and then once an acceptable deal has been found, you get notified in a few days what offer was accepted. Good stuff.

Biggest hate so far? The white skin. It burns my retinas.

Oh and its throwing up some unusual results. :lol

sigh.jpg

pix

Why is there no activity in this thread? :( Game is 2 days away, figured there was more gaffers that would be excited for the release.

faridmon

Preordered the PSP version :D
pix said:
Why is there no activity in this thread? :( Game is 2 days away, figured there was more gaffers that would be excited for the release.
Maybe, just maybe, because the game isn't out?

Yen

Chriswok said:
Happens regardless. Could possibly mean that there isn't a version released next year with Russian Language Support.
Punish all Russians because some pirate?
Anyway, when we initially install this via Steam will the patch including the two skins and Liverpool owners be there straight away?

Chriswok said:
Happens regardless. .

No it doesn't. Games that require Steamworks for all copies of the game never get cracked before release. It totally defeats the point of Steam's day zero piracy protection if you're going to ship alternate versions or not make it mandatory.

pix

They said that patch would happen day #1, just not sure when. Hopefully its included in the game when you download it.

Yenrot said:
Punish all Russians because some pirate?

If its found that the leak has emerged from Russia and the majority of those pirating are from Russia, then yes. There isn't a Turkish Language support due to the high amount of pirated copies in Turkey.

SI know the percent of pirate copies and legit copies floating around and in which countries.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Playing around with demo a good bit. Luton's squad is pretty good.

Not sure if I'm going to get it day one. I try and hold out as long as I can.

itxaka

Defeatist
brain_stew said:
No it doesn't. Games that require Steamworks for all copies of the game never get cracked before release. It totally defeats the point of Steam's day zero piracy protection if you're going to ship alternate versions or not make it mandatory.

Wasn't Dead Rising 2 out one week before release? And that had steam + that strange windows live zipped/crypted thing.

I got in and bough just now. I mean, I'mm gonna buy it sooner or later and 30€ with the sega games it's a fucking nice present :D looking forward to this weekend. Got off, my GF is travelling so I got all day to give it to FM11 :lol

I hate soccer, love simulations, going to try this now. Only time I saw the game before was at university in 2007 when all my friends were playing this during lectures.:lol

Bleepey

I refuse to play these games for three reasons.

1) My PC probably can't run it
2) These games look like a fucking spreadsheet
3) I have heard they are insanely addictivve and i avoid games with such a rep.

Wes

venison crêpe
Agents are a pretty awesome addition, even if they make the game a bit trickier when it comes to negotiations.

This is out tomorrow? Tempted. Mightily tempted. Been getting some better than usual reviews too.

Wes

venison crêpe
Castor Krieg said:
Played for 5 minutes, this monster is scary. Is it me or demo lacks a proper tutorial?

It has the "helper" thing but that's about it as far as I know. It's a lot easier to get going with it than it was a couple of years ago. There's Wizards for most important things now.

Bleepey said:
I refuse to play these games for three reasons.

1) My PC probably can't run it
2) These games look like a fucking spreadsheet
3) I have heard they are insanely addictivve and i avoid games with such a rep.
I prefer they treat the games as they should be instead of going the EA route and making them pretty but lacking any depth. I can understand it turning some people off though.

Arnie

Jesus christ this game is good. Going to pick it up after lectures on Friday, was going to Steam it but I fancy getting a boxed copy.

Does anyone know if SI have said anything about whether NESV will be included for Liverpool fans with a patch? As it stands now when you start the season you still have the two fat cunts in charge and Martin Broughton won't give us any money for transfers. Even then the club will be taken over by some randomer that will be completely unrealistic, thus breaking the immersion for Liverpool fans.

Hopefully SI can put in a patch so NESV takeover Liverpool in late October.

itxaka said:
Wasn't Dead Rising 2 out one week before release? And that had steam + that strange windows live zipped/crypted thing.

Dead Rising 2 wasn't a Steamworks title and even then MS's equivalent day zero piracy protection wasn't broken either, only the version lacking GFWL was cracked pre-release.

pilonv1

brain_stew said:
SI were stupid to create a version without Steamworks.

You reap what you sew.

Unfortunately 80% of the forum posts in General are people crying about Steam. So the vocal minority have probably caused this.

Top Bottom