• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2011 - Atlantic Translation: World Soccer Manager |OT|

Jackano

Chriswok said:
Hopefully the Contracts and Free Agency issues are fully resolved in 11.3!
I don't want to bother searching for your official forum, but in my 2024-2025 game, professionnal clubs are no longer entering the french national cup since 2020~. Only sub- third divisions amateurs clubs plays it. With the exeption of Saint-Etienne (french ligue 1) last year, who entered one of the first round of the cup in september, instead of the 10th round in january.

spidye

is there a way to buy messi without editing the database? he wants 30 million and 600.000/week. which team can afford this bullshit?

ShogunX

Anybody still raid the Brazilian and Argentina leagues for potential wonder kids? Used to be rife on the old games with talent but these days they always get snapped up.

Just started a game as Napoli mainly for the Lavezzi, Hamsik, Cavani combo and started with a transfer budget of £0. Luckily the finances have gotten better so now have 11.5 Million.

Looking to bring in either Pazzini from Sampdoria who is available for 9.5 Mil or Stefan Kießling for 5.75 Mil (Both transfer by request). Anybody have any experience with either player?

Shogun PaiN said:
Anybody still raid the Brazilian and Argentina leagues for potential wonder kids? Used to be rife on the old games with talent but these days they always get snapped up.

i do

rafael sanchez diaz (arg) and nuno miguel vitoria (brz) are goal machines :D

Rad-

I'm playing Aston Villa 2½ seasons in. Right at the start I bought some long timeline players: Babacar for 12 million, Badelj for 4 million, Enyeama for 300k, Galeano for 6 million and Appiah for 3 million. Overall the first season went decent, testing out which players play like I like. Ended up 7th and the season gave me pretty good idea who are first team worthy and who are not.

For the second season I bought in few 4 star regens, Rakitic for free, Phil Jones for 12 million and David Luiz for 7.5 million. I decided to play Ashley Young in a central role, making runs a bit like Messi. Holy crap did it pay out. He pretty much single handedly led Villa to Premier League win and ended up the season with ~8 average score, 12 goals and 27 assists. I also won the League Cup this year.

... Then comes the summer and that mofo Young wants to move to a bigger club (wtf bitch, I just won the Premier League)! I had no choice than to sell him. Went to City for 25 million (and has played 1 game for them after that :lol ). Rakitic also wanted out, sold him to Inter for 8 million. This summer I also bought in Eriksen for 7.5 million and Khedira for 4 million.

Now in my third season I'm somehow leading the table again 15 games in (I have been like current RL United, horrible play but still usually win) but I expect that to change as this season I don't have any "big" players on the team that can carry others when in trouble (like Young did earlier). City, United and Arsenal are already breathing on my neck.

Jackano said:
I don't want to bother searching for your official forum, but in my 2024-2025 game, professionnal clubs are no longer entering the french national cup since 2020~. Only sub- third divisions amateurs clubs plays it. With the exeption of Saint-Etienne (french ligue 1) last year, who entered one of the first round of the cup in september, instead of the 10th round in january.

I'll keep an eye out for that one, thanks.

Omikron

Shogun PaiN said:

Yeah, got both leagues running in my game and have a scout permanantly in South America just continually scouting for <21s :D Has produced some nice talent so far.

BTW 100+ hours of FM in transfers, on the most part I think I have done ok ;) Still not sure if the free transfer thing is a bug and/or not...

WestHamTransferHistory01.png

Brazil has a 'special' bit of hard coding that increases the chances of 'Wonderkid' newgens, however, their national traits often mean they don't always make it as superstars (low professionalism for example).

Nyx

I'm in my 3rd season with Sheffield Wednesday, managed to get promoted twice in a row, so I'm in the Premier League now. :D (in 13th place after 10 games, while the press thinks I will be dead last in the end of the season)

Omikron

Time for some minor bragging. :p

TitleWH.jpg

Next target is winning the UCL...but I am still a 3rd seed for the draw, which I think is slightly unfair, but probably more related to my previous UCL performances (out in first post group stage knock out round). Ended up getting Leverkusen + Barca... ouch.

Nyx

Omi said:
Time for some minor bragging. :p

What season are you in ?

Spent a lot of time with FM this weekend, so another season with Sheffield Wednesday gone.

Season 1 : nPower League 1 Champions
Season 2 : nPower Championship Runner-Up
Season 3 : 17th in Premier League
Season 4 : 12th in Premier League

Now in season 5, aiming for position 8-11. :)

Oh and Phil Jones is a BEAST!

Moobabe

After 130 hours of football manager - I've lost my saves. Initially I had an error with some .xml file - then the save wouldn't load. Luckily FM had auto backed up my save and I carried on. However - today - in my season defining game against Birmingham City (which I won 3 - 1) I went to save and my game crashed. I re-loaded only to get the message "the game could not be loaded" I tried the auto backup - the game crashes. So, naturally, I smashed my keyboard in a rage and now have to start again. FML.

Wes

venison crêpe
Moobabe said:
After 130 hours of football manager - I've lost my saves. Initially I had an error with some .xml file - then the save wouldn't load. Luckily FM had auto backed up my save and I carried on. However - today - in my season defining game against Birmingham City (which I won 3 - 1) I went to save and my game crashed. I re-loaded only to get the message "the game could not be loaded" I tried the auto backup - the game crashes. So, naturally, I smashed my keyboard in a rage and now have to start again. FML.

At the bolded point I would've made about 16 copies for myself just to be on the safe side.

The auto-hisotrical saves not working either? Weird.

Moobabe

Wes said:
At the bolded point I would've made about 16 copies for myself just to be on the safe side.

The auto-hisotrical saves not working either? Weird.

Yeah I really should have - well at least I won't let it happen again :( Every cloud right?

I save my games straight into dropbox so I can access them on any of my computers, means I don't have to worry about them going walkies either.

Current Chelsea save I went 62 games unbeaten before I lost 1-0 to wolves final game of the season…

Jackano

You should take a look at this precise XML file on your computer. I remember a bug like this in a previous version. In fact, you have a non-valid XML and the save doesn't load, this doesn't mean your save is corrupt.

Just delete the XML file, it is often a tactic or display mode for your team and the file is in your game saves directory.

Tactic wise how do people like to go around doing things? I create my own one which works reasonably well but seems to be "cracked" now by the comp and i am looking to a new formation now. Is it best to have 2/3 formations and rotate or wait for the comp to crack it and move to a new one?

I like to play possession football with 60+% ideally per game. Do you all download tactics or create them? Do you look at what you have and build a formation around them or shape a team into a formation?

I started off as Chelsea manager and got sacked in february after leading them to 5th and last 16 in the champions league :( Not one to mess about I jumped into the leicester city hotseat the next day and guided them to mid table for the remaining part of the season (they were plumetting towards relegation) and this season in March I am 4th 3 points behind 2nd :D

bjaelke

Thanks for the bump. I've been neglecting this for too long (studies, Mythos beta, CiM beta!).
Kabouter said:
Sorry for the gigantic picture, but I had to show this.
I think my defence needs some improvement. Discipline too.
http://www.abload.de/img/goaheadnec1gbq.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
As long as you score more goals than you allow then you should be okay ;)

Look at this fixture list. Playing as Liverpool (surprise...):
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/148hfyv.jpg

Kabouter

Played a fun match in the Club World Championship against some Senegalese side, pretty nice victory. I love the quote in the second shot, like it was nothing special. I went on to win the final 5-2 against a Lionel Messi managed River Plate.

Meier

Picked this up on Steam and having fun with it but the god damn roster control is a nightmare!!! If you have them auto select and they decide to suggest randomly cutting people they recommended you sign and then you change them back to In, the game will bug out and still cut them anyway.

I've spent at least an hour trying to win back the two games I had to give up 3-1 and 3-0 Superliga matches) due to random cuts. Fuck you, Sega!

Manager

The official FM forums have now been closed ever since the Sega hack. It was a good place to find tactics and skins. Anyone have any idea where most of the modding (or general) community has moved since?

pix

Meier said:
Picked this up on Steam and having fun with it but the god damn roster control is a nightmare!!! If you have them auto select and they decide to suggest randomly cutting people they recommended you sign and then you change them back to In, the game will bug out and still cut them anyway.

I've spent at least an hour trying to win back the two games I had to give up 3-1 and 3-0 Superliga matches) due to random cuts. Fuck you, Sega!

This is why you select your starting XI manually. It doesn't take long.

Meier

pix said:
This is why you select your starting XI manually. It doesn't take long.
Yeah, I usually do manual control but there is absolutely no excuse for making it so easy to cut someone especially since it tells you that they're back "In" the squad. It's impossible to re-sign them right after since they're naturally pissed at you.

My little $180k transfer budget with the Houston Dynamo didn't go very far. :mad:

Meier

So.. I just put one of my youngsters on loan to an affiliate since he's not going to play and I figured I'd get him some minutes but now I only have 1 of the 2 required "Academy Apprentice" contracts. I have no idea what this is really or how to even set it.. anyone have a friggin clue? I can't advance because of my team registration not being allowed.

Meier

Just got offered $26,000,000 for Otamendi in my second season at Porto.. oh man, that's tough to pass up after just dropping $20 million on a Striker.

Wow, no responses since my last post, lol. As it turns out, the MLS stuff is bugged and they just never bothered to fix it.

Meier

Relix said:
Is it possible to create your own teams from scratch here?
The OP mentions some sort of an editor but I've not encountered it/used it personally. That being said, if you played as Barca or Man City or some other super rich club you could pretty much buy anyone you'd want I imagine..

Meier said:
I know no one else is playing any more but I was thrilled with this back heel from a young American regen striker to Lucas. Pretty.

http://t.co/N7lluNo

Actually, I JUST started playing! It has sunk its teeth in me hard, 24 hours in the past 3 weeks or so. Eek. I found a file that imported the Portland Timbers into the game and I have yet to have ANY kind of offense that awesome (it IS the MLS, anyway...).

Question: can we import a database of all CURRENT players? Or do we have to wait till FM12 comes?

It's crazy, I've played the demo of almost every FM game for the past 3 years and it never really pulled me in. Maybe with my local team (Portland) being in the MLS it has helped.

Relix said:
Is it possible to create your own teams from scratch here?

Yeah it is, you just go to the editor and you can either edit a team completely or create your own from scratch, it's pretty easy to use as long as you're not trying to do anything too complicated; making a team and players is simple

Got this game in the steam sale a while back, CM was pretty much my obsession as a kid but I kind of lost interest. Got FM2010 on D2D but the DRM seemed broken so didn't play much. Been loving this one though, seems to be running faster than FM2010 on my laptop too.

Playing as Newcastle just started my third season been investing mostly in youth with no real big signings and it's been paying off fairly well for me. Finished 9th in my first season, which was disappointing as I looked on course to make Europe until my team imploded, won the FA Cup though. Second season managed to get myself up to 4th in the league, better than I thought but disappointing seeing as I spent half the season at the top; won the FA Cup again though so not bad.

Haven't really spent any big money though yet, my biggest signing was Filip Djuricic for €3.2 million in my first season and I only made one signing for over a million in my second season. Just lost Barton for €10 million so I've decided to splash a little and am going for a regen from Leicester who looks incredible for 17.

Long story short I'm addicted to this game, it's just so hard to stop playing love it

Oh, and does anyone have any experience with the iPad version? I realize it's a *little* dumbed down (it's gotta be), but is it competent?

TheMissingLink said:
Oh, and does anyone have any experience with the iPad version? I realize it's a *little* dumbed down (it's gotta be), but is it competent?

I haven't played it but I saw a bit of it and it reminded me of the old school CM games, at least the interface reminded me of the CM2/3 era, has a smaller number of leagues too.

Meier

Started a Burnley side a few weeks ago and won the npower Championship then finished my first season in the PL at 8. The Spurs decided to buy out my deal and name me as manager.. $70k per week up from $43k at Burnley.. couldn't turn it down.

Unfortunately, all my young talent I'd been stockpiling is there at Burnley now and Khouma won't sign with me. :( I got him for $17.5 million at Burnley and then had to offer $35 or so to buy him right away at Tottenham but he wouldn't put pen to paper. Sonuvabitch!

Btw, I've put in 286 hours into this bad boy in the past 3 months it looks like.. :O

I can't work up any motivation for FM2012.

It just seems to be heading in the wrong direction for me. It feels like it would actually be easier to just take my badges and become a real manager than mess around with the various 'realistic' features they've put in.

Nyx

zombieshavebrains said:
Got FM 2012 and couldn't find an OT :S

This is my first FM, the only other experience i've had with it is a demo for FM 2011. Any tips?

There's an ingame tutorial now I think, your best bet is to start with that.

If you have any questions just place them here and I'll be happy to answer.

Top Bottom