• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2011 - Atlantic Translation: World Soccer Manager |OT|

Just had a great FM moment - 3-0 down away to Stoke after an hour, managed to come back to get a point in the last minute. Cue me jumping round the house like a mad man, and my Wife running up to see what the hell was going on!! :-D

WJD

How do I get my wingers to stop shooting and start crossing? Morons are shooting from the most ridiculous of angles.

itxaka

Defeatist
Ugh, never accept a job from NEC in Holland. 16 matches with no winning. I have tried everything, tactics, talks, changing players. I even brough 4 new players but the fuckers have the lowest moral I have ever seen.

And one of them just want to left the team and it's playing shit all the time due me being his manager :mad:

pix

Just finished my 2011 season. Some interesting screens.

kb5bfm.png

28v5e8k.png

Moobabe

itxaka said:
Ugh, never accept a job from NEC in Holland. 16 matches with no winning. I have tried everything, tactics, talks, changing players. I even brough 4 new players but the fuckers have the lowest moral I have ever seen.

And one of them just want to left the team and it's playing shit all the time due me being his manager :mad:

itxaka
Defeatist
(Today, 05:16 PM)

That one was too easy!

Sometimes though, everything goes wrong. Start small though - try encouraging your players. Go for rigid tactics and operate a little more defensively and try and nick a goal from a set play. I can't help you too much, I'm really not very good at this game :D

As I'm sure anyone playing Spurs can attest van der Vaart is basically a cheat player. Play the beautiful Dutch bastard as a Trequartista behind the forward and every match you play is basically 45 minutes of highlights featuring him and Modric making the other team look like schoolkids.

This is going to be a good season.

Managed to get Beckham for £1.6m from the MLS - he's getting on a bit, but he can still do a decent job for a year or two. Sitting in midfield for Everton replacing Arteta who had a falling out and found himself at Real Madrid for £16m.

Anyone have any other great bargins?

Got it today, difficult start!
Harder to negotiate with agents than on the demo… also some of the prices have gone up a bit.

I refuse to give agents a lot of money, I had Dzeko on £105k a week deal was all set but I refused to give him £3.6m and his agent £2.3m. What a waste of money! So I signed alexis Sanchez instead for £23m and his agent took like £500k. In fact signing on fees are the biggest obstacle I have found for signing players. I'm Chelsea but I still dont want to throw money away because of a greedy agent. It's things like that which mean I only get 60% of transfers in 2 years time…

Won Community Shield after 1-1 draw, Kadlec came on 85 scored a tap in to finish a lovely move in 88. Won on penalties.
Results league wise, beat Man City 4-1 opening day; Yaya Toure og sent me on my way and it was plane sailing from then on.
Everton 1-0 away ok result.
Drew 0-0 with Fulham at home, I was gutted we were all over them.
3-1 away against Birmingham.

My Champions League group is Valencia, Ranger and Bursaspor not too hard, or at least I'm confident anyway.

Fitness of my players leaves a lot to be desired at times but we've adapted to my 4-3-3 formation well although due to injury and fitness problems I had to use 4-4-2 diamond in the Birmingham win.

Valencia next hoping for a good performance!

Kabouter

Vitesse Arnhem, the team currently 16th in the Eredivisie with nine points, was somehow able to snatch up Mark van Bommel transfer free in the transfer period after the first season of my current game.

...how the hell?!

Edit: Also, how do I hang on to my players as Heracles Almelo? After the first season I got offers for all my best guys, and they demanded to be able to negotiate :/. And I find it very hard to acquire players of similar skill without breaking the bank.

Rad-

Kabouter said:
Edit: Also, how do I hang on to my players as Heracles Almelo? After the first season I got offers for all my best guys, and they demanded to be able to negotiate :/. And I find it very hard to acquire players of similar skill without breaking the bank.

Give the players you don't want to sell a big asking price.

Edit: OMFG, Evra just gave out a penalty in like the most harmless situation ever in fucking CL semi-final end minutes. Lost to Chelsea because of that, man I'm pissed. Feel like firing his ass. :lol

pix

Just an update on my Unemployed career start. Started out with a chinese team in the Super League with them in relegation spot. Ended the season with them getting relegated by 1 point. I resigned quickly after, team was atrocious, and in debt.

Got hired at Wrexham after that in BSP. Didn't go so well either, since it was halfway through the season. Resigned after a bad year.

Now I am with Woking in BSS, and things are going better. I had a chance to buy and sell players, and focus on a rigid, disciplined 4-4-2 formation, and its going well, leading the league after 8 games.

Rad-

Finished the first season. Won PL with 95 points, second was Arsenal with 89. Chelsea third with 74 and then a surprising Blackburn with 66. Worst of the "big" teams was Liverpool who finished 11th. Roy was sacked in January. Teehee.

Also won FA and League Cup but lost in the Champion's League semi-finals to Chelsea fuuuu. Real Madrid won it eventually.

Rooney is a beast, was the most scoring PL striker by far and he even missed 13 league games. Ended up with 39 goals in 39 matches in all competitions. Nani and Pastore were the leading guys on the assist chart. Pastore also won Player of the Year with Park as the second runner up. Park was surprisingly good throughout the season.

Worst players were Valencia (missed so many easy chances, seriously dozens and just overall bad) and Anderson (did nothing really). Berbatov was also disappointing, the only place where he showed up was against crappy teams in cup games.

Bought some new blood as they were cheap:

4 million: David De Gea (gonna make him the new first keeper)
4 million: Lukaku (couldn't resist that price for him)

Still looking into Suarez or Balotelli who both are unhappy and want out of their teams. Might get one of them if I can get a decent deal going. Have to sell someone though, I'm thinking Berbatov because he isn't worth his high wages.

pix

Is it just me or are some of the offside calls horribly wrong, like not even close. I've even had some offside calls happen to me that arent even technically offside. (Rebound off a goalie and my guy scored, offside called)

pilonv1

pix said:
Is it just me or are some of the offside calls horribly wrong, like not even close. I've even had some offside calls happen to me that arent even technically offside. (Rebound off a goalie and my guy scored, offside called)

IIRC there's bad calls in there deliberately to reflect poor refereeing decisions in real life.

rizoo

Banned
I've been playing FM2009 for over six months now and don't feel like starting a new career all over again with this one. Is there any way I can import my save from the last game into this one and continue from there?

Kabouter

Mmmh, despite Vitesse having acquired Mark van Bommel, they managed to lose 6-0 to amateur side HSC '21 in the Dutch cup. Bizarre.

rizoo said:
I've been playing FM2009 for over six months now and don't feel like starting a new career all over again with this one. Is there any way I can import my save from the last game into this one and continue from there?
No, just start over.

Rad-

2011 summer signings:

4 mil David De Gea
4 mil Lukaku
6 mil Wilshere
18 mil Balotelli

4 wonderkids for 32 mil. :lol Game is about to get uber dull I bet.

Oh and could've gotten David Silva for 9 million as well but had no room for him.

Blackhead

Redarse
Rad- said:
2011 summer signings:

4 mil David De Gea
4 mil Lukaku
6 mil Wilshere
18 mil Balotelli

Oh and could've gotten David Silva for 9 million as well but had no room for him.
:lol
you'll never win anything with kids

Rad- said:
2011 summer signings:

4 mil David De Gea
4 mil Lukaku
6 mil Wilshere
18 mil Balotelli

You had £41m to spend and complain the game is dull? Try playing a lower league club for more of a challenge! I couldn't even afford Aaron Ramsey on loan!!

Rad-

woodsey1982 said:
You had £41m to spend and complain the game is dull? Try playing a lower league club for more of a challenge! I couldn't even afford Aaron Ramsey on loan!!

I played multiple lower level challenges in the older versions but I always get bored of them when I reach PL. So I can't even bother anymore. Nowadays I just choose a club I feel at that moment or go journeyman.

How is Lukaku so cheap? Didn't he cost like £15m+ last year?

Don't know what his "normal" price is here but he was unhappy and wanted out so he was cheaper.

itxaka

Defeatist
Moobabe said:
itxaka
Defeatist
(Today, 05:16 PM)

That one was too easy!

Sometimes though, everything goes wrong. Start small though - try encouraging your players. Go for rigid tactics and operate a little more defensively and try and nick a goal from a set play. I can't help you too much, I'm really not very good at this game :D

No, I wanted to sign a couple of new good players but the highers ups wouldn't lend me more money so I resigned and got a small French team with only 14 players :lol

Thing is, this fuckers play much better. I signed 4 kids that are beating everyone in the team and got 4 other free players (I can't afford any player that costs more than 10.000€) and they seem to be working ok now.

Still haven't won a much. 10 hours into the game and I haven't win a goddam match :lol

Yen

Started my Liverpool save. Bought:
Defour - £6 million
Lukaku - £6 million
Contraeo - £6 million
Hazard - £16.5 million

Sold:
Babel - £5 million
Kuyt - £5 million
Maxi - £5 million

kharma45

Off I go in my United save. Varied up my transfers a bit from the demo, didn't bother going for my usual players of Defour, Ochoa and Neymar this time around.

In:

Diego Buonanotte - £1.6m
Edin Dzeko - £23m
Vaclav Kadlec - £825k
Jay DeMerit - Free
Roberto Carlos - £1.5m
Robert Pires - Free
Michael Rensing - Free
Bernard Mendy - Free
Jose Goncalves - Free

Out:

Bebe - Loan
Fabio - Loan
Robbie Brady - Loan
Nick Ajose - Loan

Nyx

Started a game last weekend with FC Utrecht in the Dutch Eredivisie.

In :

Vaclav Kadlec 1.5m EU Sparta Prague
Niek Loohuis 500k EU Veendam

Out :

Jacob Mulenga 1.5m EU Paris St Germain
Nana Asare 1.6m EU PAOK Saloniki

Not many transfers, but I've got a decent enough squad already.

Had to qualify for the group stage of the Europa League first :

Utrecht - FC Baku (AZE) 1-1
FC Baku (AZE) - Utrecht 1-3

Utrecht - FC Inter Turku (FIN) 4-0
FC Inter Turku - Utrecht 1-2

Utrecht - CSKA Sofia (BUL) 3-3 (gave away a 3-0 lead)
CSKA Sofia (BUL) - Utrecht 1-3

So I made it to the group stage, draw is not made yet.

In the league I played 4 games, 3 wins and 1 draw, in 4th place.

Kadlec is a killer, scoring 8 goals and giving 5 assists so far, while I didn't even plan to put him in the starting line-up, but as Ricky van Wolfswinkel had a 2-month injury, Kadlec took his chance.

fanboi

Banned
So, playing with United as I always do when I start my first game on a new itterition of FM.

Played a couple of games (including Roma away in CL, 1 -1) and the game crasches... some really bad scores, lost 4-1 against Totteham amon others...

So I reload and change playing style (hard tackling, direct passing and controll the game) and ofc removed Rooney and Rio from possibility in playing in the reserv teams :)lol )
And jesus what a difference, destroyed Tottenham 4-0 and while doing 0-0 against Roma, I was extremly dominant.

zoku88

Bah, i'm never careful enough before big matchups. Lost in the semifinals of the Asian Confederation Cup because a good portion of my players were out injured and I had to play in the unfamiliar 4 - 4 - 2 with not-so good players >_< Lost 0-2 for an overall aggregate of 3-4 .. T_T

Roxas

Im a little confused with this game. I just won the premiership and champions league with Man Utd, yet at the end of the season, i decided to apply for the vacant Cook Islands job, and then the Netherland Antillies teams and was rejected both times! WHAT! :lol

Also i cannot explain how annoying it was to see Roy Hodgsons job on the line literally from week 1 to week 37 when Liverpool finally got shot of him :lol unlucky Woy.

pix

YESSSS!!!! Just had the most epic match. This was such an important win for us, was an incredible game. I told my GK (Ochoa) that I expected a performance before the match. The fucker had an 8.0 game as a keeper. The saves he made were incredible. Then right before the whistle blows, Van Persie gets a free kick outside the 18 yard box, he shoots, goes through the wall, hits the post, Arshavin gets the rebound and is tackled in the box by Evra!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VAN PERSIE CONNECTS!!!! (I was fist pumping like a maniac and shouting YES!!!!) Good thing I live alone :)

14dg01s.png

kharma45

Finished my first season with United today, won the PL and Uefa cup, hopefully can do a fair bit better this season with some new signings I've made.

Srna - £2.8m
Mahamadou Diarra - Free
Ochoa - Free
Hamsik - £9.75m
Bolatelli - £9m
John Fleck - 1.5m
James Rodriguez - £900k

Shoogoo

Hey guys, I'm contemplating the idea of buying the game for my dad as I saw it cheap on Amazon.co.uk. Thing is, he speaks french only and I was wondering if the game is multilingual.

I checked the french version (49€!) here and it says its french only so I guess the UK version is the same?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I don't have FM11, but I just checked 09 and 10 and both have the option to change the language to French in the options so I'd imagine 11 is the same.

The official version comes with multi-lingual support, including French. :)

Patch 11.2 should be due to hit within the next three weeks.

Genie Scout 11 comes out today. I know almost everyone thinks it's cheating and ruins the game, and I don't use it myself, but it lets you see what your youth signings could look like when they reach their peak.

Omikron

Been plugging my way through with West Ham... took a few seasons to bed in my 4-3-1-2 tactic and fix the team from the shambles it was... one season I only just managed to hang onto my job and stay up (think it was the 2nd...will post up some screen shots tonight maybe)... but now I have qualified for the Champions League 2 seasons in a row, and looking like competing in all the domestic cup competitions to the later stages... all in the space of 6-7 seasons. Been a long road with a very restrictive transfer budget early on and still struggling on only a ~50% return on transfer sales to my kitty. :D

The key for me I think was signing the likes of M.Diarra, Dzeko, Kheidera on frees (I have no idea how, things just fell my way, Dzeko was asking crazy wages, but was worthwhile, sold for 15million with a year on his contract left!) and picking up Paloschi for ~6million.

Top Bottom