• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

I'm fine with that squad.
However:
- only 2 real wingbacks
- no new CF, but Cacau seems like he's always good for a goal in the national team
- he honored L. Bender's & Gündogan's form & left Rolfes at home. Good.

/edit
I feel like S. Bender, Merte will stay home because of form
- ter Stegen will stay home, sadly....just being teased, sort of..
- Draxler: probably a tease too, still too young.

I guess that Ter Stegen, Draxler, S. Bender and Gündogan will be cut. Still nice to see them nominated. The lack of wingbacks is concerning but they could go with the Bayern defense + Hummels.

dc89

So RVP is staying?

I wish he'd make his mind up already, I'm tired of asking that question.

BBC football gossip said City...

Nah, I'm not going there. I'll only be raged at.

But his silence about it all is the most worrying thing to an Arsenal fan IMO, or at least it should be. He's hardly busting a gut to sign a new deal. I honestly think that if he stays it will be very dependent on where Arsenal finish in the league and also the players Wenger brings in, but will RVP hold his nerve.

Wilbur

Banned
I would bet my house on it he stays. He won't go City but would go Barca/Madrid, but I don't see them coughing up for a near 30 year old

Kyoufu

Ugh I want to punch Steve Kean in the face. He thinks a hostile crowd against Wigan will help them win tonight.

Did nobody remind him the hostility is towards him and that Wigan are on beast mode right now?

Fady K

Just going through the new (lol, new. I'm so late) OT10. OT9 flew by!!

L9jAI.png

Well here it is - OT10! Big thanks to elseanio and Fady for creating the previous threads :)

It's been an honor to be involved Paul :) Thanks for starting up another one :)

Just realized Fady is in all the team lists haha

I only just noticed that :D

Can't believe I didn't notice Fady K is listed as a fan of every team in the last thread. :p (edit: beaten by seconds!)

Subscribing

just noticed Fady is a fan of every club in the OT lol (in the previous OT too)

yeah Fady put himself everywhere when he created the last OT I believe. :lol

So I took a look at the "GAFfers' Clubs - which team is the best supported on GAF?" list and noticed that Fady's name comes up in every single team lol

Haha first time noticing but love how Fady K is a fan of every team in OP. Great touch!

Haha! I thought you guys would have noticed from the last thread! It was inevitable :p I wasn't on ManU at first but my niceness made me give in.

if he joins barca, I will personally come and haunt you fady and footballfan

Alabarcelona? That would be awesome :0! How reliable is the rumor though?

Woodenlung! NO... : ' (

He said Torres was neither footed!! Ironically that was before Torres' form improved dramatically. All thanks to Bieber.

Kozak

Banned
Fenerbahce and its president cleared of match fixing! :D Now for UEFA to follow suit.

A lot of people not directly associated with the football clubs and a few players in trouble though.

Ibra:
I'm not used to not winning anything, it's the first time that I live this type of situation. I'm disappointed, this season has been a failure. All those injuries show that there's something wrong, and that need to change, soon. I don't want to leave Milan, but I also want to win. I don't know what Milan wants to do, there was a big project about this team, we'll see if they still believe in it. I really hope so.

I don't care what people say, I love him. It's the first time that one of our players tries to force Berlusconi to do something. If it wasn't for him, Juve would've won the scudetto in February.

I feel like I should go and watch The Avengers again. I really didn't think it was that great at all but I feel like I missed something cos everyone is raving about it.

I guess that Ter Stegen, Draxler, S. Bender and Gündogan will be cut. Still nice to see them nominated. The lack of wingbacks is concerning but they could go with the Bayern defense + Hummels.
That would mean Boateng on the wing. I feel bad even thinking about it, lol
I hope Löw goes for Bad&Hummels while keeping Lahm on the right and letting Schmelzer play on the left. His form has been improving tremendously in the past few games - he now even makes runs inside the opponent's box :O Of course that would barely be possible with Podolski as his wing partner instead of GK or Perisic. Podolski can't really do any defensive work. But he's still the better option compared to Boateng as a winger.

I feel like either Gündogan or Draxler could stay. Gündogan is like Kroos in the sense that he could do OM and CM/DM. Draxler can't really do anything but wings (preferably left).
For wings & OM we got:
Podolski (Schürrle) - Özil (Götze) - Müller(Reus)
I think Draxler could only stay if Schürrle is still too weak.

For DM/CM we got:
Schweinsteiger (Kroos) Khedira (S. Bender/L. Bender)

I don't think he only want one backup per DM/CM position and since S. Bender is still weak I can imagine Gündogan staying to be the "last resort" MF. Löw would certainly not go into the Euro with only 4 MF for 2 MF positions.

So yeah, I feel like Schürrle will keep his position, which means Draxler is out, S. Bender still being out of form, which means Gündogan stays (or S. Bender finds his form and stays), then one of the keepers will have to go and Merte (still hasn't recuperated) or Höwedes (tough luck) will have to go too.

Carbonox

Hahaha at the Zokora 'challenge'.

Yeah Vertonghen said that Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Spurs play good football so it's obvious those are the 4 clubs he's gonna pick from. Well, you can rule out City cos he wants regular football and he won't get it there.

GONNA GO DOWN TO THE WIRE.

The Netherlands ext./provisional squad (whooping 36 players):

Goalkeepers:
Jasper Cillessen Ajax
Tim Krul Newcastle
Erwin Mulder Feyenoord
Maarten Stekelenburg Roma
Michel Vorm Swansea

Defenders:
Vurnon Anita Ajax
Khalid Boulahrouz Stuttgart
Wilfred Bouma PSV
Urby Emanuelson AC Milan
John Heitinga Everton
Joris Mathijsen Malaga
Erik Pieters PSV
Gregory van der Wiel Ajax
Nick Viergever AZ
Ron Vlaar Feyenoord
Stefan de Vrij Feyenoord
Jetro Willems PSV

Midfielders:
Ibrahim Afellay Barcelona
Mark van Bommel AC Milan
Nigel de Jong Man City
Adam Maher AZ
Hedwiges Maduro Valencia
Stijn Schaars Sporting
Wesley Sneijder Inter
Kevin Strootman PSV
Rafael van der Vaart Tottenham
Georginio Wijnaldum PSV

Attackers:
Klaas Jan Huntelaar Schalke
Siem de Jong Ajax
Luuk de Jong Twente
Ola John Twente
Dirk Kuyt Liverpool
Jeremain Lens PSV
Luciano Narsingh Heerenveen
Robin van Persie Arsenal
Arjen "the flying Dutchman" Robben Bayern

Wilbur

Banned
I feel like I should go and watch The Avengers again. I really didn't think it was that great at all but I feel like I missed something cos everyone is raving about it.

It was better the second time round to be fair. Didn't really enjoy it first time but did the second. Go figure.

Are Germany the only team to announce provisional squad so far?

Edit: nope haha

Clegg

Ireland are announcing their squad later this afternoon.

Should be interesting to see what plodders Trappatoni is bringing.

Clegg

McCarthey and McClean need to be called up and put in the first eleven.

They should but they won't.

Trapp is too conservative to change now.

We might see Mc Carthy start because we have a terrible midfield but I don't think Mc Clean has much of a chance.

I'm in that minority camp that thinks Trap has earned the right to do what he wants. If he wants to take the players he trusts in, he should do that.

Hixx

Steve Bould to take over from Pat Rice at Arsenal according to Twitter.

He only played 20(?) times for SAFC before having to retire but he was such a quality player.

Yen

I'm in that minority camp that thinks Trap has earned the right to do what he wants. If he wants to take the players he trusts in, he should do that.

Trap has been fantastic for Ireland but his CM choices have been terrible. Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews?
Our wide options aren't much better. The team is terribly unambitious, but hey, it's got Ireland to a tournament.

Plasma

Banned
Steve Bould to take over from Pat Rice at Arsenal according to Twitter.

He only played 20(?) times for SAFC before having to retire but he was such a quality player.

Yep great player and he has done a good job bringing through our youth players, hopefully he'll be able to get our defence into shape.

Clegg

Trappatoni has been brilliant for Ireland but we're going to be seriously embarrassed if he sticks with the midfield that got us to the Euros. Mc Carthy needs to start.

So RVP is staying?

I wish he'd make his mind up already, I'm tired of asking that question.

If you've been an Arsenal fan for any length of time you should be very accustomed to this. It happened with: Anelka, Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Hleb, Henry, Flamini, and Fabregas.

However, out of those all those players, RvP probably values club loyalty the most.

But you won't have to wait much longer to find out. If he doesn't sign before the Euros, he's gone, I should think. And 3 points at the Hawthorns will go a long way in answering this question.

dc89

Hmm, City staff showed Eden Hazard around Alderely Edge the day after the derby.

With houses like:

6a00d83451cbb069e201156f8e6e8b970c-800wi

To

277875_1_propertydetailsimage.jpg

If he comes to City or United he'll have a lovely area to live in!

Clegg

Are you actually a City PR man?

And he's going to City.

They're the only ones stupid enough to pay him what he wants.

Kyoufu

dc, no offense but who gives a fuck about which area he's going to live in.

I mean, that post screams mcfc.co.uk to me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom