• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Potentially,

Newcastle lose their final game, leaving them at 65 points. Tottenham lose and stay at 66. If this were to happen, Chelsea could pip 4th by winning their game against us and their final game at the weekend.

But if we beat Chelsea and they win their final game, putting them at 64, then they go on to lose the CL final to Bayern, they're out of the competition completely for the next year.

Come on Kenny. If you can't deliver us a good season, at least deliver us some schadenfreude.

On a lighthearted note, someone at RAWK posted this:

tumblr_m2cvba29Jt1rquh4lo1_1280.jpg

Salazar

Man United facebook feels like a City fan on the windup.

"1 game to go, who'll win the league ?"

[after every shite game] "Who was your man of the match ?"

:lol at Fergie trying to motivate Hughes to get a result by reminding him of the shitty way City sacked him. Pathetic. Fergie you muppet if you and your team didn't point a rocket launcher at your own feet you wouldn't be in this position.

Time to suck it up.

/edit
nice Gerrard article :)

Live stream of the Ger. national team extended squad nomination:
http://tv.dfb.de/live/index.php?live=275
The final squad will be recruited from that preliminary squad.
From Dortmund I'd like to see: Hummels, Schmelzer, Götze and maybe just for the ext. squad: Gündogan & Großkreutz.

/edit2
lol, I forgot Sven Bender, but I guess he's too out of form so his twin bro Lars might have the upper hand.

fuenf

/edit
nice Gerrard article :)

Live stream of the Ger. national team extended squad nomination:
http://tv.dfb.de/live/index.php?live=275
The final squad will be recruited from that preliminary squad.
From Dortmund I'd like to see: Hummels, Schmelzer, Götze and maybe just for the ext. squad: Gündogan & Großkreutz.

/edit2
lol, I forgot Sven Bender, but I guess he's too out of form so his twin bro Lars might have the upper hand.

Just say that you want every german BVB player nominated ;)

snoopen

as usual the leaked jerseys are correct. appears most teams are adding a bit of more black (i recall the utd jersey being a bit different)

531326_10150788666342713_20669912712_9515332_267140545_n.jpg

i personally don't really like it.

Salazar

Yeah, those sleeves suck. The socks can stay, but the rest looks like some kind of Commonwealth Games kit where they have to incorporate a flag.

bjaelke

Our shirt for tomorrow's game. At first I thought it was a about goal line technology and the fa cup.
Replacing the usual Standard Chartered logo will be 'Seeing is Believing' - our main sponsor's global initiative that raises funds to tackle avoidable blindness in developing countries.

gerrard_4f994167ae1b9095859392.jpg

Just say that you want every german BVB player nominated ;)
lol, no - but hey, I think we do have a legitimate claim.
Hummels, Schmelzer & Götze should absolutely be at the Euro. Even though Götze was injured, he'll have more than a month to come back into form. I don't think anyone want to leave him at home.
Großkreutz, Gündogan could very well be in the ext. squad, I don't see why not and if they can convince Löw why should they stay at home?

/edit
FUCK YEAH, GÜNDOGAN :D

Plasma

Banned
as usual the leaked jerseys are correct. appears most teams are adding a bit of more black (i recall the utd jersey being a bit different)

531326_10150788666342713_20669912712_9515332_267140545_n.jpg

i personally don't really like it.

Yeh it doesn't look good at all, apparently the trim is navy blue but its so dark that it looks black in all the pictures.

I still haven't picked up this years kit I'll probably just end up getting that instead when it goes cheap.

fuenf

Germany's preliminary Euro Squad (4 players will be cut on the 27th):

Goalkeeper:
Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen) and Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96).

Defender: Jerome Boateng, Holger Badstuber, Philipp Lahm (Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (FC Arsenal), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04) and Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielder: Mesut Özil, Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos, Thomas Müller, Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern München), Marco Reus (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mario Götze, Ilkay Gündogan (Borussia Dortmund), Sven Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Andre Schürrle (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke 04) and Lukas Podolski (1. FC Köln)

Attacker:Cacau (VfB Stuttgart), Mario Gomez (Bayern München) and Miroslav Klose (Lazio Rom).

dc89

It's emerged that Silva voted for Barry as City Player of the season award.

If a Spanish world cup winner voting for Barry doesn't underline his value to City then nothing does.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's emerged that Silva voted for Barry as City Player of the season award.

If a Spanish world cup winner voting for Barry doesn't underline his value to City then nothing does.

I've been quite impressed with him. He can be a clumsy tackler but he keeps things ticking over nicely and can pull out a nice pass once in a while. Every team needs a player like him. Carrick, Parker, Tiote, etc.

Isn't RVP like much taller than Ox and Wilshere. Looks like they've shrunk him in that picture.

Trim clearly looks navy blue to me btw.

dc89

You gulp down anything MCTV throws at you. Barry isn't good enough for England, let alone City.

Tell me honestly where Barry has fucked up constantly this season? He's a good player and the fact he holds his place says something, Mancini rates him and that's good enough for me.

For me he does the job with minimum fuss and that's what I want.

Germany's preliminary Euro Squad:

Goalkeeper:
Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen) and Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96).

Defender: Jerome Boateng, Holger Badstuber, Philipp Lahm (Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (FC Arsenal), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04) and Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielder: Mesut Özil, Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos, Thomas Müller, Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern München), Marco Reus (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mario Götze, Ilkay Gündogan (Borussia Dortmund), Sven Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Andre Schürrle (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke 04) and Lukas Podolski (1. FC Köln)

Attacker:Cacau (VfB Stuttgart), Mario Gomez (Bayern München) and Miroslav Klose (Lazio Rom).

I'm fine with that squad.
However:
- only 2 real wingbacks
- no new CF, but Cacau seems like he's always good for a goal in the national team
- he honored L. Bender's & Gündogan's form & left Rolfes at home. Good.

/edit
I feel like S. Bender, Merte will stay home because of form
- ter Stegen will stay home, sadly....just being teased, sort of..
- Draxler: probably a tease too, still too young.

snoopen

404 - File or directory not found.

It's not like City's website to break.
it was a joke about City's website having useless information (things nobody cares about).

some 'transfer news' from the mirror.. lol.
Transfer stories from other papers and websites

Arsenal will make the first move in the race for Fulham’s Clint Dempsey, who is also a target for Liverpool. Dempsey has 23 goals this term as an out-and-out striker but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger wants to play him behind Robin van Persie and Lukas Podolski. (The Sun)

Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has admitted that a transfer to Tottenham is an option for him, but stressed that he has a number of alternatives, thought to include Newcastle and Arsenal . (Goal.com)

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has insisted that Gonzalo Higuain will not be leaving the Santiago Bernabeu in the summer transfer window, despite reported interest from Manchester City and PSG . (Goal.com)

Southampton will make a £3m bid for Curtis Davies if Birmingham fail to win promotion. (The Sun)

Chelsea face a battle with Paris St Germain for Napoli hit man Ezequiel Lavezzi. (FootyLatest.com)

Liverpool are lining up a bid for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent. (CaughtOffside.com)

Carlos Cuellar looks to be on his way out of Aston Villa after bidding a fond farewell to fans on Twitter following Sunday's final match at Villa Park. (Birmingham Mail)

Reading are plotting a £1.5m move for Watford centre-back Adrian Mariappa. (The Sun)

Sagan has said that Bradley Johnson purposely broke his leg. Or at least that he purposely trod on it which led to his leg breaking.

What a shit thing to put on another player, especially considering the tackle wasn't really that bad. He made a similar accusation about Evra when they both played in France.

Poor really. I like Sagna quite a lot and it's a shame he is going to miss the Euro's now but he shouldn't have said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom