• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

juve won the championship? how did they do it? didnt they suck in the last years? havent followed the serie a at all to be honest. anyway, congratulations juve gaf. i hope we can win something too this week.

GorillaJu

Missed the Bob Dylan chatter but he's always been one of my favorites. When I was 18 I listened to Blonde on Blonde every day. I still think it's one of the best pop albums of the 20th century.

If I ever need a lift, I put on Visions of Johanna and whatever day it is instantly becomes a good day

I swear every nerve in my body relaxes the moment I hear that opening guitar strum followed by the harmonica.

So, in 4 hours Löw will announce the Germany squad for the Euro.

Rumor goes that he called up Gladbach's Tony Jantschke. Good move if true and if Löw keeps Lahm at the left. Jantschke did great against us and Bayern, I'd much rather give him a chance than Boateng as RB.

bjaelke

Congratulations to Juventus and Chelsea. It sucks that we mistook the cup final for a league game and played accordingly. First 60 minutes were embarrassing to say the least. I'm somewhat pleased that we managed to show some kind of performance if only for the last 25-30 minutes.

aurrecocheacomicshirts.jpg

"This is what happens when you let Goalkeepers design their own kits - Pablo Aurrecochea of Guarani (Paraguay Primera Division)"

Nyx

Forgot pics from the midweek game, but here’s the last game of the season in pictures:

Dutch Eredivisie round 34
Roda JC – FC Utrecht 1-3 (0-1)

20120506_RodFCU-9129.jpg

20120506_RodFCU-9245.jpg

20120506_RodFCU-9034.jpg

_MG_2736.jpg

_MG_2750.jpg

20120506_RodFCU-9139.jpg

_MG_2851.jpg

Oxx

Woo. Bank Holiday!

Maybe I should sit down and play some of these Humble Bundle games that I have never actually tried.

neoanarch

I finally understand how some of you feel about matches being unwatchable behind a premium package. Half the mexican league matches in the US are suddenly only on Dish Network. Just a few months ago everything was OTA.

Wilbur

Banned
Missed the Bob Dylan chatter but he's always been one of my favorites. When I was 18 I listened to Blonde on Blonde every day. I still think it's one of the best pop albums of the 20th century.

If I ever need a lift, I put on Visions of Johanna and whatever day it is instantly becomes a good day

I swear every nerve in my body relaxes the moment I hear that opening guitar strum followed by the harmonica.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES. Everything you said in this post is 100% correct, even down to the song.

Was supposed to be working from half 1 so I went to bed at 4, been asked to work from half 10. This is the worst day ever.

bjaelke

Darren Bent rumor is back. I wonder if the editors are just publishing the same story because they have nothing new to say.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Darren Bent rumor is back. I wonder if the editors are just publishing the same story because they have nothing new to say.

Probably but he wouldn't be a bad signing. He's an awful footballer but he scores goals. £40m bid incoming.

Fady K

My God what an epic couple of weeks it has been for football. I don't know if I'll ever go through a more surprising run of results again.

As a Chelsea fan, prior to the FA Cup final I have witnessed four games against Liverpool. We lost all four. Not even one draw. To beat them, in the most important fixture from the previous 5, and give Dalglish his first ever loss to Chelsea as a manager, is not something I would have expected from a Chelsea who has played a few more games recently than any other Premier League club. Thanks Robbie.

Congrats to Juve-gaf. It's been a long time coming, but it couldn't have happened in a better way than this. To go a whole season unbeaten, even in cup games, is phenomenal. Hats off.

Congrats to Porto for doing it even without AVB, to Ajax after a scary start, to Real Madrid after a hard fought season, and to Dortmund, who did it again in style!

Will City add to the list?

Honestly I have nothing but praise for City and how much they have changed in the past few years. Financially, the changes are obvious. It is how they evolved as a team that I find most remarkable. From the goalkeeping, to the great defense, to the flow in the middle, what a team. The attack needs improvement however; I love Aguero to bits, but he needs to be more clinical. If he was, they would have put Newcastle's game to bed much earlier yesterday. For City to usually have a poor away form, and for Newcastle to have an excellent home form with Cisse, makes it all the more surprising that City was able to do what they did.

Speaking of the Newcastle game, it is unbelievable how Kompany did not allow Cisse to do jack for 90% of the time, at least. This is how you stop Cisse. If only Chelsea weren't so attack minded that game. All in all, not a game I expected City to win at all, let alone defend well from magicians like Cisse and Ben Arfa. And Toure - the man that helped them earned their first cup in decades last season, and without a doubt - should they win the title this season, his goal's against Newcastle will be looked at as the mark that made it possible.

Well done. It's been 44 years, don't screw up now.

OMG LOL. This is perfect hahah.

Sheeeeit. If I owned GAF and was fairly wealthy I'd have a box at City.

I'd also fly Fady over to meet him and sip some fancy drink at a City V Chelsea game.

I'd love that man :D Maybe we can go for a City vs Chelsea game someday.

Just watched Thor and Captain America, both were alright. Probably preferred Thor to Cap :p

Cant wait to see the Avengers tomorrow; a Marvel fan's dream!

Enjoy man! I wanted to ask my fellow footygaffers if I should watch them both before the Avengers, or does it not matter?

Feorax

Something tells me JWH would have something to say about that...

Enjoy man! I wanted to ask my fellow footygaffers if I should watch them both before the Avengers, or does it not matter?

Congrats on the FA cup win mate. Thoroughly deserved. I hope we start Zlatan Carroll tomorrow though, I want to see what he's capable of playing a full 90 against JT.

I would recommend watching them before the Avengers. You could probably get by without, but the movie is much a much more rewarding experience if you are already invested in the characters.

Wilbur

Banned
Avengers and Iron Man good
Incredible Hulk poor
Iron Man 2 and Captain America bad
Haven't seen Thor

FOOTBALL. Blackburn - Wigan. 2-0 to Blackburn I say but they'll still be relegated

Fry

Wilbury, watch Thor, it was better than Cap., and way better than the Hulk movies.
I really enjoyed it.

Only Iron Man is better.

bjaelke

I suggest large tumblr gifs of Emile Heskey and some youtube clips of dramatic classical music. Make the first post a real experience, like.

Too bad John Terry lost the captaincy. "Terry leads nation into Poland" would've been a suitable title.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury, watch Thor, it was better than Cap., and way better than the Hulk movies.
I really enjoyed it.

Only Iron Man is better.

Yeah I'll get round to it. I thought Hiddleston and Hemsworth were good, and sexy Idris Elba is in it so I'll give it a go.

Fry

Yeah I'll get round to it. I thought Hiddleston and Hemsworth were good, and sexy Idris Elba is in it so I'll give it a go.

Yeah, the cast is really good, and there's Natalie Portman too... hnnnnnng.
If she's not your type, there's a scene where we see Thor shirtless... goddamn, the guy's fit.

But I must warn you, even though the cast is good, there wasn't any praise worthy performances. Hiddleston steps up for the Avengers though, he was amazing.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, the cast is really good, and there's Natalie Portman too... hnnnnnng.
If she's not your type, there's a scene where we see Thor shirtless... goddamn, the guy's fit.

But I must warn you, even though the cast is good, there wasn't any praise worthy performances. Hiddleston steps up for the Avengers though, he was amazing.

Portman's pretty hot but overrated. THOR THOUGH MY GOD. I'd go gay for him and probably RDJ as well.

Hiddleston's a very good actor outside of Loki as well, cool to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom