• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Relegation can be a blessing in disguise.

It can also lead to years of decline and stagnation, and be swiftly followed up by further relegations.

Unfortunately I think Blackburn are far more in danger of the latter than they are the former. They're a club in crisis, managed by a non-manager with their being no guarantee's he will even leave or lose his job and under the ownership of a group which has no understanding of the sport whatsoever.

The Championship is not a division to be taken lightly. If those in charge at Blackburn don't understand it, respect it, plan for it or deal with it properly they will go down again within four years.

pappe

The thing is with Kean, there's talk of him having back stabbed his old boss to get in a position of power, having blamed a Rovers fan for spiking his drink when he was done for DUI. It's not just football matters. He's an odious person
There is absolutely no proof that this is 100% true.

Wilbur

Banned
There is absolutely no proof that this is 100% true.

No proof it isn't. I'm not as much in the know as Rovers fans are, and neither are you, so I'm going on what I've heard.

What is that supposed to mean, and how does it negate anything I've said? Resorting to Rovers fans' tactics are we? ;)

I think you claiming that the Rovers opinions are biased when you support the team Kean played for (did he? or was he part of the youth team), and probably supports, is just a bit odd. None of us know the facts, and I said rumours. If they're true, the Rovers fans are justified in their actions somewhat.

pappe

By the way, on behalf of all the Indians everywhere, I whole heatedly apologise to the Blackburn fans for how venky's have treated your club.

elsk

Banned
Just like Mats Hummels wanted to move to Bayern, right?

He's just afraid of being benched :) but just like Nuri Sahin, Lucas Barrios, Shinji Kagawa and more to come. I would be happy if those guys would stick around and be with Dortmund for years to come, but you know how players are... they just want money and EPL.

Meier

Pictures of guys going for headers are hilarious. Enjoying this old one of Yaya and Celtic's Scott Brown. What a terribly ugly individual. Puyol almost looks photoshopped in, hah.

toure-002.jpg

(Saw this in a related article on The Guardian's site regarding Yaya being linked to City and Arsenal)

pappe

Why didn't they spend any money? I know it would've been Kean spending it but seriously..
I guess it's mostly to do with the fact that they bought the club with the sole intention of selling its assets and booking profits and hopefully selling it at a profit as well.

This was pure business for them n no emotional attachment to the club.
Also the rumour is that they aren't swimming in money as many believe.

dc89

Why didn't they spend any money? I know it would've been Kean spending it but seriously..

I honestly don't think they have the money to spend. Remember all the transfer targets they had, and the fact top 4 was their aim.

They never backed up that talk with the money to match the ambition.

Feorax

Martinez coming to us makes far too much sense to happen. More likely out current management team will be given another year to piss away money.

Also, someone on twitter has suggester we try Downing at LB to replace Aurelio. Quite how the fuck we haven't thought of that all this season is beyond me.

pappe

Martinez coming to us makes far too much sense to happen. More likely out current management team will be given another year to piss away money.

Also, someone on twitter has suggester we try Downing at LB to replace Aurelio. Quite how the fuck we haven't thought of that all this season is beyond me.
You have Enrique. Why the hell would you put Downing there?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
No proof it isn't. I'm not as much in the know as Rovers fans are, and neither are you, so I'm going on what I've heard.
We both know that's not how it works. How do you feel about people who make comments about sr'Alex secretly being an alcoholic or anything along those lines. It's not a nice thing to see when there's zero evidence, is it?

I think you claiming that the Rovers opinions are biased when you support the team Kean played for (did he? or was he part of the youth team), and probably supports, is just a bit odd. None of us know the facts, and I said rumours. If they're true, the Rovers fans are justified in their actions somewhat.
Yeah, I have been more outspoken about it because I'm a Celtic fan and Kean is too (though he never played for us - maybe in the youth setup like you said). But mainly because the treatment Kean is receiving is ridiculous.

Owen Coyle is exactly the same, for example. Celtic fan, Celtic player. Relegation zone. But look at the reaction at Bolton compared to Rovers, and that says it all really.

dc89

He sounds devastated.

And hear what he said about Kean? I said months back that I believe the players were playing for the manager and they believed in him. Maybe not all of them, but the majority.

Feorax

You have Enrique. Why the hell would you put Downing there?

Have you SEEN Enrique recently?

Besides, even on form, Enrique has been poor offensively. Downing/Johnson would compliment perfectly as attacking fullbacks, just as Kelly/Enrique are a complimentary defensive pairing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
lol Rovers relegated by the referee's shit positioning.

Clattenburg didn't help but the goal they let in was a dreadful mess. They can't defend, just like Blackpool last season. What they were thinking letting both Samba and Nelsen go in January...

He sounds devastated.

And hear what he said about Kean? I said months back that I believe the players were playing for the manager and they believed in him. Maybe not all of them, but the majority.

He said Kean was the best manager he's had. Wasn't he at Newcastle when Bobby Robson was there?

Hixx

For fuck sake man, Blackburn just haven't been good enough. Anyone who blames it squarely on Kean is being ludicrous and naive.

Wilbur

Banned
We both know that's not how it works. How do you feel about people who make comments about sr'Alex secretly being an alcoholic or anything along those lines. It's not a nice thing to see when there's zero evidence, is it?

I shrug it off. Things like that, it's just banter because he has a red nose.

Yeah, I have been more outspoken about it because I'm a Celtic fan and Kean is too (though he never played for us - maybe in the youth setup like you said). But mainly because the treatment Kean is receiving is ridiculous.

Well there you go then. You're completely justified in feeling like that, but I think the Rovers fans are justified in thinking Kean's played a massive part in the downfall of their club.

Owen Coyle is exactly the same, for example. Celtic fan, Celtic player. Relegation zone. But look at the reaction at Bolton compared to Rovers, and that says it all really.

Ask yourself why that is. It can't purely be because Blackburn fans are much more demanding. There has to be underlying reasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ager-Steve-Kean-banned-for-drink-driving.html

There's a little bit more there than just admitting he was driving under the influence.

dc89

Clattenburg didn't help but the goal they let in was a dreadful mess. They can't defend, just like Blackpool last season. What they were thinking letting both Samba and Nelsen go in January...

I bet that wasn't Kean's decision. Similar to the whole thing about Salgado and Roberts. That cost Blackburn dear.

Wilbur

Banned
For fuck sake man, Blackburn just haven't been good enough. Anyone who blames it squarely on Kean is being ludicrous and naive.

It's not squarely on Kean, but he and Venkys must be at least 90% of the blame together. Think about Bruce in charge of Sunderland, and the change when MON came. I think your revitalisation can almost completely be placed on MON's shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom