• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway ignoring the bullshit, thanks for the well wishes folks, it's just a shame we didnt sit and politely clap at the end.

This has been coming a long time and is mainly down to the owners, manager and his agent (who is also their chief advisor)

The day Sam got sacked we had just lost a game in the last minute that would have took us 9th.

offshore

Somebody up at Newcastle clearly sees something in him but fuck knows what.

aUA3d.jpg

Although tbf we gave him a contract long after Wise left

Bumhead

Banned
He was terrible in the Championship as well.

Somehow he's fantastic in the reserves though. *shrug*

I do want him gone though. I don't see a future for him with us at all.

Sometimes players just need a change of scenery, I guess.

We've got a fantastic team spirit here and Ranger seems to have slotted into that quite well. Plus he has been first choice in an unbeaten side so has done his bit. He's got pace but always looks really awkward to me. Still not sure if I'd want to sign him permanently but like I say, a full pre-season and six month loan wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I get the feeling that if Dave Jones wants him Newcastle would probably accept a packet of peanuts.

The FootballGAF title race:

fgtrplkp1.png

Whoever John Huxley
Unreal engine FPS protagonist?
is, you've almost got this in the bag. Good luck to Viva and Blowfish United as well. It would take quite a week to win it but it's still possible.

Carbonox

Why not? They're a stronger club.

That's not an excuse. Ba might be likely if we don't give him a new contract (he could go anywhere and it won't be Arsenal unless he starts) but Cabaye will most certainly not be leaving Newcastle in the Summer. He can easily command 20+m now and Arsenal will find it hard-pressed to spend that much given around 15m is their record. If Cabaye will go anywhere, it will be Man Utd and even then I very much doubt they will make a move given how stubborn Ferguson is and recently implied he will continue to be.

Don't buy in to every transfer rumour.

Lightning

Banned
The day Sam got sacked we had just lost a game in the last minute that would have took us 9th.
That sacking was one of the worst and most pathetic dismissals I have ever seen. That was totally unfair an although not in the best form at the time he done a good job with pathetic resources made available.

Arsenal are looking to buy Ba and Cabaye.

Get the hell out of here.
Ba would be an idiot to come to Arsenal. At Newcastle he plays every week and they love him if he comes to Arsenal he will be on the bench majority of the time unless we are hit by injuries. Makes no sense for him to come.

Kyoufu

That sacking was one of the worst and most pathetic dismissals I have ever seen. That was totally unfair an although not in the best form at the time he done a good job with pathetic resources made available.

Ba would be an idiot to come to Arsenal. At Newcastle he plays every week and they love him if he comes to Arsenal he will be on the bench majority of the time unless we are hit by injuries. Makes no sense for him to come.

I don't even care about Ba. It's Cabaye I'm worried about! :(

Lightning

Banned
I don't even care about Ba. It's Cabaye I'm worried about! :(
His contract is to 2016. Would take a lot of money to get Newcastle to sell and therefore will not happen. I wouldn't mind him though.

I wouldn't worry too much, silly season is approaching and if we don't manage to sign M'Vila we'll be linked with every midfielder going.
Oh I want Yann M'Vila. I really want this transfer to happen.

jtb

Banned
I could see Ba happening, if only because Wenger likes signing players that are 1) french (ish), 2) injury prone as FUCK.

plzplzplz sell diaby this summer.

evilwart

If QPR aren't relegated, all 3 newly promoted teams will have survived the season for the second time in Premier League history, with 2001-02 being the other season. The 2001-02 survivors (Blackburn, Bolton and Fulham) have all remained in the Premier League up until this season, where Blackburn have been relegated and Bolton may be relegated.

Kyoufu

If QPR aren't relegated, all 3 newly promoted teams will have survived the season for the second time in Premier League history, with 2001-02 being the other season. The 2001-02 survivors (Blackburn, Bolton and Fulham) have all remained in the Premier League up until this season, where Blackburn have been relegated and Bolton may be relegated.

Let's hope QPR do get relegated. All that money spent and manager changed for relegation would be sweet.

Sorry QPR fan. Yes, just the one.

FootballFan

On a lighthearted note, someone at RAWK posted this:

tumblr_m2cvba29Jt1rquh4lo1_1280.jpg

TDySd.jpg

The Netherlands ext./provisional squad (whooping 36 players):

:( Where's Bas Dost !

HUGE JUVE POST
Damn!!! Amazing post man ! :D

You, Fady and Yurt. You're the ones who get it.

<3

HEY MAN! I GET IT.

How many threads have you guys started on GAF? I've only ever started one. I was scared it would go down like a lead-balloon. Response was luke-warm enough.

Haven't made any threads, mostly just lurk OT and Gaming but the posting is usually all in here. :D

ArsenalAway1.jpg

You do know you can embed on an iPad right?

:O that is a damn nice jersey.

Bumhead

Banned
I hope QPR stay up. Fucking rancid ground to go to and we've a horrible record there.

Steve Kean is such a dick. Seems the total sum of his feeling on the matter is that he's disappointed Blackburn didn't take it to the last day like last year. Check dat ambition.

Arnie

I'll miss Blackburn, they're a proper North West team. As much as I like Martinez and I appreciate the Wigan spirit late in the season, I really wouldn't miss them as much as Blackburn or Bolton.

I hope QPR stay up. Fucking rancid ground to go to and we've a horrible record there.

Steve Kean is such a dick. Seems the total sum of his feeling on the matter is that he's disappointed Blackburn didn't take it to the last day like last year. Check dat ambition.
You going to the presentation at the Town Hall on Wednesday? A few of us are going down for the atmosphere, should be decent. Bet you were loving it on Saturday.

Honest question, would part of you like to see United promoted to increase Sheffield's football reputation and so you can have a few derbies next season?

Wilbur

Banned
Conte. Illusion broken.

lYaJd.jpg

ZOOORRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

What the fuck hahahahahaah

Anyway:

Valencia appoint Pellegrino as coach

Valencia have appointed Argentine former player Mauricio Pellegrino to replace Unai Emery as their coach from next season, the Spanish club said on Monday.

"Mauricio Pellegrino is the new coach of Valencia for the next two seasons," Valencia said in a statement on their website.

Emery had long been expected to leave at the end of the campaign after leading Valencia to third place in La Liga, behind Real Madrid and Barcelona, and automatic qualification to the Champions League for the third year in a row.

Pellegrino, 40, was a centre back in the Valencia side that won the La Liga titles in 2002 and 2004, when they also lifted the UEFA Cup. He later worked as assistant to his coach from that time, Rafa Benitez, at Liverpool and Inter Milan.

Emery, 40, joined Valencia from Almeria in 2008 but has never managed to completely convince skeptical fans despite working in exceptionally difficult circumstances.
The east-coast club have been struggling with crippling debts and have had to sell key players, such as Spanish internationals David Villa to Barcelona, David Silva to Manchester City and Juan Mata to Chelsea.

Emery has constantly rebuilt the side and made it the third best in Spain the last three years, leading them to the semi-finals of the King's Cup and the Europa League this time round.

With one game left, away at Real Sociedad, they lie 29 points behind second-placed Barcelona but six ahead of fourth-placed Malaga.
Pellegrino joined Valencia as a player from Barcelona in 1999 and spent five-and-a-half seasons with them.

As well as their league titles, he helped them to reach consecutive Champions League finals, missing the decisive penalty in the shootout after extra-time against Bayern Munich in their second appearance in 2001.

He started his coaching career with Valencia's youth academy before joining Benitez at Liverpool and later following him to Italy. It will be his first top-flight coaching role.

Clegg

Emery has done a pretty good job at Valencia considering how much shit the club is in financially.

He'd be a good manager for whatever club he goes too next.

Harry better play Bale at left back against Fulham. I don't want to see any shit like Gallas at left back, or Adam Smith, or Kyle Walker. And no 4-4-2 shit just because it seems more attacking on paper. If he gets this wrong then I might lose it completely. In fact, if he picks any team other than this

(Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Bale, Sandro, Parker, Lennon, VDV, Modric, Adebayor)

then I officially have a problem with Harry.

Wilbur

Banned
Emery has done a pretty good job at Valencia considering how much shit the club is in financially. He'd be a good manager for whatever club he goes too next.

Yeah, he done a good job there. No idea why he's been sacked, Sid Lowe wrote a column on Emery a while back but I can't remember what it said.

jtb

Banned
Emery has done a pretty good job at Valencia considering how much shit the club is in financially. He'd be a good manager for whatever club he goes too next.

Agreed, not to mention they've been selling off their best players for years (and probably will do so again this summer). Just imagine... a Mata/Villa/Silva front line. god damn. stupid of valencia to fire emery when the guys upstairs are clearly the problem.

Lightning

Banned
Harry better play Bale at left back against Fulham. I don't want to see any shit like Gallas at left back, or Adam Smith, or Kyle Walker. And no 4-4-2 shit just because it seems more attacking on paper. If he gets this wrong then I might lose it completely. In fact, if he picks any team other than this

(Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Bale, Sandro, Parker, Lennon, VDV, Modric, Adebayor)

then I officially have a problem with Harry.
Losing your trust in Harry? You'll finish 4th so don't worry.

Bumhead

Banned
You going to the presentation at the Town Hall on Wednesday? A few of us are going down for the atmosphere, should be decent. Bet you were loving it on Saturday.

Honest question, would part of you like to see United promoted to increase Sheffield's football reputation and so you can have a few derbies next season?

Saturday was incredible, easily one of the best experiences I've had as an Owl. Saturday was my justification for all the shit I've endured and all the miles I've travelled over the last twelve years. I'll be there on Wednesday for sure.

United can whistle as far as I'm concerned. They have been dishing it out for over a decade now, lauding it up over their alleged superiority over us, and I hope them bottling the play-offs leads to the beginning of the end. Sheffield history shows Wednesday do not need United and in terms of increasing the City's reputation, Sheffield United continually drag that reputation through the mud. The City would benefit if they faded back into the shadows where they historically belong.

I don't want them to go bust or anything, mind. I just want their fans to be miserable and for the closest thing they can have to a derby match to be against Rotherham United.

We should broaden our horizons more next season

Maybe talk about the championship more, at least I can start hating The Wednesday now, dick :p

The Northern El Classico. It's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom