• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

Bolton will do it for Fabrice

edit: Also Martinez is a fucking genuis. If Wigan play like this all season next year they'll do ok. Sadly they won't

He deserves a bigger club with players that give a shit

I think he could do well with Liverpool if they'd take him.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I have this feeling of dread that Heskey is going to end up here. CL qualifying campaign is dead before it's even begun. :(

FootballFan

I have this feeling of joy that Heskey is going to end up here. CL qualifying campaign is completed before it's even begun. :)

fixed.

Also good news that Afellay made the shortlist for the Euro team, I wonder if he can make the actual squad. I hope so, he has been really unlucky with his darn injuries. =/

Wigan are my new favourite team to watch, they look so good. If they had a prolific goalscorer they would do well, Martinez should get a chance at a bigger club though, would like to see how he would do. Always seems like a nice chap.

Feel sorry for Paul Robinson though but Blackburn are dire. They're worse than Aston Villa and that is saying something!

Meier

I think the fact that QPR has been the worst team in the Premiership on the road and that City have been the best at home certainly would make anything other than a City win the biggest shock of the season (perhaps of multiple seasons), particularly given the circumstances.

I have this feeling of dread that Heskey is going to end up here. CL qualifying campaign is dead before it's even begun. :(
As much as we all want to make fun of Heskey, he has a good work rate, and can hold the ball well. He just isn't a great finisher. Put him in a holding forward role and he will be a good squad player.

Also, there are quite a few teams worse than Aston Villa tyvm.

xintin

Backing Bolton. Fuck QPR.
So much this. Get the fuck out of here QPR.

Wigan are my new favourite team to watch, they look so good. If they had a prolific goalscorer they would do well, Martinez should get a chance at a bigger club though, would like to see how he would do. Always seems like a nice chap.
Pretty sure Wigan's chairman has said Martinez can leave if a bigger club comes calling. And I hope they do, Martinez is great. He was a joy to watch as pundit during WC2010 here in the US.

Unrelated, but im so pissed that Chelsea moved their summer friendly with Milan from DC to Miami :(

have you guys seen this chicken on the field lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WC1Oa-A12c

Better than a pig head I guess. The best is still the Inter fans throwing a scooter down from a stand, now that is class managing to smuggle that in.

ZskaO.jpg

Meier

Apparently Hazard's move may be in jeopardy according to everyone's favorite (the Mail) due to his extremely high wage demands. I think I read somewhere he wanted over £150k per week which might be a bit excessive without a few more years under his belt. Supposedly we will look at Belhanda as an alternative -- he's obviously very good but I'm not sure he's really a difference maker. Can't hurt to add some depth though.

GorillaJu

The Guardian said:
The game was briefly held up in the first half for a fowl in the Wigan penalty area. Yakubu Ayegbeni and Ali Al-Habsi were the first to pluck up courage to tackle the feathered intruder while a gaggle of stewards stood by and watched, possibly in agreement with the anti-Venky's protest but more likely thinking up chicken-based puns like everyone else.

:lol :lol

This is why I always read the Guardian first and foremost for football stuff.

jtb

Banned
Apparently Hazard's move may be in jeopardy according to everyone's favorite (the Mail) due to his extremely high wage demands. I think I read somewhere he wanted over £150k per week which might be a bit excessive without a few more years under his belt. Supposedly we will look at Belhanda as an alternative -- he's obviously very good but I'm not sure he's really a difference maker. Can't hurt to add some depth though.

why the hell do city need another attacking playmaker? isn't that why you bought Nasri? and, ya know, probably the best player in the PL atm, Silva? and tevez/aguero can play there... there's depth then there's just sheer stupidity.

:lol :lol

This is why I always read the Guardian first and foremost for football stuff.

the guardian is my favorite news source for football, their minute by minutes are usually hilarious; football weekly was my only connection to football for many weeks at a time during this hellish semester. and they've got top notch foreign columnists too - sid lowe in particular is excellent.

Sorry about your team, Jeff. :/

Welcome
back
to the best thread on NeoGAF, the walrus. :D

haha thank you! misery loves company, and I wouldn't want to miss out on yet another classic arsenal late-season collapse™. plus, complaining about how disappointing seasons 5 and 6 of lost were gets old after a while.

Lightning

Banned
haha thank you! misery loves company, and I wouldn't want to miss out on yet another classic arsenal late-season collapse™. plus, complaining about how disappointing seasons 5 and 6 of lost were gets old after a while.
I love your avatar and more Arsenal fans the better!!!!!

TeegsD

Looks like Polga isn't going to be renewing with us and is instead gonna end his career in Brazil. Going to miss him, he has always been a wall in our back line. We're gonna need to get another DC then

Jeff, so sorry that your beloved team have been relegated. I don't know a thing about relegation and not even throwing away the title to your local and bitter rivals can be as bad as relegation. I hope you deal with it just fine, I suspect you will.

I know a little bit about bad owners though. The Glazers are nowhere near as bad as Venky's, not even close, they're terrible but Venky's have been bad beyond words. I sympathise very much with Blackburn fans and their reaction against the ownership and management; it has not been a disgrace. There have been some disgraceful moments, the threats against Kean, some unsavoury moments here and there, that's all wrong. The general sentiment against Kean and the owners is perfectly understandable though. In a perfect world, the fans would have supported to the team until the very moment relegation was certain, and then fired up the protests. But that's not how it works, the frustration and pain has been building for them week after week. They have been lied to week after week and the club they love has slowly been taken apart. Eventually you snap and you just can't take it anymore. That's what has happened at Blackburn. It's not just poor management or poor ownership, it's been deceit and that is really horrible thing to deal with when it comes to anything in life. The fans are helpless as their club crumbles around them...it really isn't unsurprising and it's not even unnatural that they have lost their cool and heads and just let their anger flow. Again, some of it has been OTT, but the reaction in general IMO has been at the very least, understandable if not warranted.

Because long term, Blackburn need the Venky's out of their club. Let's say they supported the team to the hilt and they actually stayed up. It would have been despite of the Venky's and the damage they have been doing very easily could have continued. They need Venky's out of there ASAP and whatever they can do to try and get to that result...whatever they think will get them to that result...they will do that, that's just normal IMO...even though it might not be the right way to go about it.

As for Kean. Again, he has had some really harsh treatment against him. But the reason there is such hate against him, apart from all the conspiracy stuff...is because he is siding with Venky's and is their man at the helm. Essentially he is at one with Venky's in the eyes of the fans...and really, that is hard to deny. Whether all the conspiracy stuff is true aside...he backs Venky's and Venky's back him, so he's part of the central problem.

It's clear he is a poor manager. I feel sorry for him because I think he has genuinely tried the best and done everything he can on a day to day basis on the pitch and on match-days to help Blackburn get results. When you're doing your best and everybody is out to get you, that's tough to take, so I have some sympathy for him. I even sympathise with some of the untruths he has pushed in terms of player availability and stuff like that because he kind of has to do that in some instances to protect the club and team as a whole. But he has alienated himself from the fans in other ways too...he could have handled is relationship better with the fans. It is a lost cause though, because he is the Venky's man and that alone is going to mean the fans are against him.

There is just one thing I don't get about Kean though...and it's why I lose most sympathy for him when it comes to the crux of the matter. Why is he continuing? During the season, okay, he felt he could do the job, he gave it his all and whatever, that's cool. But now? It is so obv. clear he has failed as a manager and beyond that, that his presence there is now actively harming the club. He is past the point of no return, even if he gets Blackburn promoted now...the fans will never accept him. He has to step down for the betterment of the club, and that at this moment should be his number 1 concern. But it doesn't seem that it is...he's putting himself before the club...and it's tough to forgive that. If he was completely void of guilt you could argue a case for him...but he has contributed to where Blackburn are now and he should take responsibility for himself at least and step down.

Anyways Jeff, it's just a game right?! Things are probably gonna have to get worse before they get better for you guys. Hope it's not too late and that there isn't a terrible financial problem incoming and stuff like that, that'll be really horrible :(

Choc

Banned
does someone have a site or something that tells me what the Venkys have done wrong?

im not trying to defend them but i want to know why Blackburn fans dont like them at all

GorillaJu

does someone have a site or something that tells me what the Venkys have done wrong?

im not trying to defend them but i want to know why Blackburn fans dont like them at all

I remember last year they invited a group of fans on a trip to India and our Jeff was among them. They claimed a lot of ambition but from what Jeff said it all turned out to be bullshit. If I recall correctly they even hinted that Kean's time was limited, but then gave him a raise in the winter.

Lightning

Banned
There is just one thing I don't get about Kean though...and it's why I lose most sympathy for him when it comes to the crux of the matter. Why is he continuing? During the season, okay, he felt he could do the job, he gave it his all and whatever, that's cool. But now? It is so obv. clear he has failed as a manager and beyond that, that his presence there is now actively harming the club. He is past the point of no return, even if he gets Blackburn promoted now...the fans will never accept him. He has to step down for the betterment of the club, and that at this moment should be his number 1 concern. But it doesn't seem that it is...he's putting himself before the club...and it's tough to forgive that. If he was completely void of guilt you could argue a case for him...but he has contributed to where Blackburn are now and he should take responsibility for himself at least and step down.
That's the thing I don't understand because he done the season, done the best he could under ridiculous circumstances, as the man can only work with what he's got. The problem is, he failed, now it's time to go. He's not a good manager and he's hated by the fans for good reason as results are what count and he hasn't delivered in that area. Him saying he wants to stay on next season I find outrageous as even if he succeeds, which I doubt, the fans still wont accept him and it will take the unrest and animosity into next season as well. Why would he want this?

As for the Venkys... thank fuck they don't own Arsenal is all I can say. What a pack of idiots they are.... I wish there was a way for the PL to help clubs get rid of pitiful owners as that's what the Venky's are... They're pathetic.

It's hard not to feel for Jeff and other Blackburn fans because this relegation should never have happened. Sloppy management caused this, very sloppy management. My heart really goes out to Blackburn fans right now...

Choc

Banned
BUT WHAT IS IT THEY DO SO WRONG?

is it

-no transfer funds

-wont sack a bad coach

-just not funding the club at all?

what

no one seems to like have a definitive list :(

There are a lot of clubs that do exactly that, Kenwright at Everton for example. So it must be more?

Lightning

Banned
There are a lot of clubs that do exactly that, Kenwright at Everton for example. So it must be more?
No, Everton are not the same. Everton fight tooth and nail to keep their best players, they don't always succeed with the money other clubs offer but Everton players don't come cheap. Also, the owner clearly cares, they needed strikers mid way through the season and in comes Jelavic. Everton also do not sack people for bullshit reasons like the Venkys did hence David Moyes has been in charge of Everton for over a decade and they buy smart Everton.

Choc

Banned
ok

now im starting to see whats wrong

-cheap transfers out

-no transfers in

-No loyalty to staff except Keane

rodvik

BUT WHAT IS IT THEY DO SO WRONG?

is it

-no transfer funds

-wont sack a bad coach

-just not funding the club at all?

what

no one seems to like have a definitive list :(

I am sure Jeff will chime in but from my perspective Venkys have ruined their investment by sticking with Kean. Distant owners (Venkys, Lerner) seem to have a blindspot when to comes to just how important the manager is to fans and the playing style they bring.

With Rovers the fans have been saying for long time they do not want this manager after a while it becomes contempt for the fans, who are the customers after all. It doesnt matter whether he is a good manager or not, the customers dont want his style of entertainment.

I find it baffling. If your regulars tell you week after week they do not want this kind of manager then why would you persist? Rovers has had shrinking attendance, same as Villa and yet the owners simply will not make the change their customers want.

After a while it ceases to be poor football knowledge and becomes poor business skills.

Choc

Banned
it costs a lot of money to sack managers again im not defending kean but it does.

They need to have their contracts paid out. Probably why Mcleish has made it so far

rodvik

it costs a lot of money to sack managers again im not defending kean but it does.

They need to have their contracts paid out. Probably why Mcleish has made it so far

True but a few million quid in paying out a contract compared with a few more million in lost ticket sales....

By the way I should note that unlike Kean nobody suggests McLeish is an unpleasant or unethical man. According to all the fans who have met him he is a nice bloke who genuinely wants to do the best for the club he can. Unfortunately his style and Villa just are a bad fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom