• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Happy to pile on following Championship next season. Gonna plump for Peterborough I think.

It was either Charlton or Palace and like I've said, soft spot for Charlton, been to the Valley a few times. Been to Palace once and lost a fiver. FUCK PALACE.

Peterborough are generally quite fun, they used to score a fuckload of goals or let a fuckload in.

sneaky77

so they are gonna put like giant screens in San Mames to show the Europe League final Wednesday.. the tickets were sold out in 4hrs.

rodvik

It was either Charlton or Palace and like I've said, soft spot for Charlton, been to the Valley a few times. Been to Palace once and lost a fiver. FUCK PALACE.

Peterborough are generally quite fun, they used to score a fuckload of goals or let a fuckload in.

Yeah thats my memory as well. they are also the closest championship team (I think) to my old stomping grounds around Oakam (if you discount the pikeys from Leicester City).

Wilbur

Banned
so they are gonna put like giant screens in San Mames to show the Europe League final Wednesday.. the tickets were sold out in 4hrs.

I think we're planning a visit to Barcelona around next April and we're going to try and fit in a visit to the Nou Camp, but I might try and convince my parents to go Basque country instead so I can go to San Mames before it gets knocked down.

Yeah thats my memory as well. they are also the closest championship team (I think) to my old stomping grounds around Oakam (if you discount the pikeys from Leicester City).

Pikeys ha. I know a woman called Helga (Mastadon??!?!) who supports Leicester because Elvis Hammond used to play for them. That's it. A tenuous link to Elvis.

Arnie

Saturday was incredible, easily one of the best experiences I've had as an Owl. Saturday was my justification for all the shit I've endured and all the miles I've travelled over the last twelve years. I'll be there on Wednesday for sure.

United can whistle as far as I'm concerned. They have been dishing it out for over a decade now, lauding it up over their alleged superiority over us, and I hope them bottling the play-offs leads to the beginning of the end. Sheffield history shows Wednesday do not need United and in terms of increasing the City's reputation, Sheffield United continually drag that reputation through the mud. The City would benefit if they faded back into the shadows where they historically belong.

I don't want them to go bust or anything, mind. I just want their fans to be miserable and for the closest thing they can have to a derby match to be against Rotherham United.

Aye, thought that might be your thoughts, can't really blame you. You got any family that are United fans? I've got a fair few Everton family members and whilst I love donning them in the derbies I'm not sure if I'd like to see them crumble into complete and utter insignificance.

Had a look at that new Wedensday sports complex on the Star website the other day, looks sweet. Indoor and outdoor pitches.

Lightning

Banned
Uh huh. You think Stoke are godly at Britannia too. Truth is these teams are bipolar (just like Newcastle) so you can't really be confident one team will win.
At this end of the season home groung support means nothing imo and the only game I honestly care about is ours. Fuck the rest.

All I can say is GO RVP!!!!!!!!!!!

sneaky77

Emery was fired? Wtf.

No, he was not renewed, his contract was up.

yeah Valencia fans are some of the most delusional out there imo. Emery has done a great job for them

I think we're planning a visit to Barcelona around next April and we're going to try and fit in a visit to the Nou Camp, but I might try and convince my parents to go Basque country instead so I can go to San Mames before it gets knocked down.

it would be worth it, also for the food lol

Choc

Banned
can this man exact the ultimate revenge upon City

1801hughes.jpg

rodvik

Pikeys ha. I know a woman called Helga (Mastadon??!?!) who supports Leicester because Elvis Hammond used to play for them. That's it. A tenuous link to Elvis.

lol.

Anyways yeah should be fun next season. Following the Championship should be entertaining!

jtb

Banned
At this end of the season home groung support means nothing imo and the only game I honestly care about is ours. Fuck the rest.

All I can say is GO RVP!!!!!!!!!!!

am I a bad arsenal fan for hoping that arsene takes the 20m or whatever ridiculous sum city's willing to pay for him? I mean... let's face it, guy's gonna get injured in the euros, turn 30, and never reclaim his former glory a la shevchenko. We're hardly doing worse without cesc (as much as I miss the guy) when it comes to the table or europe... still trophyless! this whole generation of wenger's underachievers need to leave and be replaced by new blood that, if nothing else, give a shit.

having said that, please score on sunday. we got lucky with norwich... I don't want to bet our season on 'Arry's incompetence.

Bumhead

Banned
Aye, thought that might be your thoughts, can't really blame you. You got any family that are United fans? I've got a fair few Everton family members and whilst I love donning them in the derbies I'm not sure if I'd like to see them crumble into complete and utter insignificance.

Had a look at that new Wedensday sports complex on the Star website the other day, looks sweet. Indoor and outdoor pitches.

Family, no. Friends, yes.

I'm always curious how other same City derbies play out, but I think the Sheffield one is quite unique in that both clubs have always been pretty close. I mean we are more successful than them, have won more, spent more time in the top divisions and competing for honours, but it's not like Liverpool or Manchester where one club is so, so much more successful than the other, and where the real rivalry in terms of competitiveness is arguably with a team in another City. When the lesser successful club gets their moment on top - as a result of us being shit more than them actually achieving anything - they become insufferable about it. For a full decade.

I guess the equivalent would be if Everton and Manchester City consistently finished above Liverpool and Manchester United every single year for 10 years, or even started winning league titles and Champions Leagues having played second fiddle to their same City rivals for decades.

am I a bad arsenal fan for hoping that arsene takes the 20m or whatever ridiculous sum city's willing to pay for him? I mean... let's face it, guy's gonna get injured in the euros, turn 30, and never reclaim his former glory a la shevchenko. We're hardly doing worse without cesc (as much as I miss the guy) when it comes to the table or europe... still trophyless! this whole generation of wenger's underachievers need to leave and be replaced by new blood that, if nothing else, give a shit.

having said that, please score on sunday. we got lucky with norwich... I don't want to bet our season on 'Arry's incompetence.

But if we sell Van Persie, we're gonna be stuck with the worst strikers on the planet :(

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So it's between QPR and Bolton on the final day. Who are you all backing, gaf? Someone make a list.

can this man exact the ultimate revenge upon City

1801hughes.jpg

It's possible. I know the R's have been shite away from home, but they have to try and get a point at the Etihad. If they don't then they could easily go down. I expect Bolton to put up the fight of their lives against Stoke and get a win.

They'll need to park the mother of all buses in front of their goal, but it's doable

NEOPLAN+Jumbocruiser+-+World's+Largest+Bus+03a_resize.jpg

Family, no. Friends, yes.

I'm always curious how other same City derbies play out, but I think the Sheffield one is quite unique in that both clubs have always been pretty close. I mean we are more successful than them, have won more, spent more time in the top divisions and competing for honours, but it's not like Liverpool or Manchester where one club is so, so much more successful than the other, and where the real rivalry in terms of competitiveness is arguably with a team in another City. When the lesser successful club gets their moment on top - as a result of us being shit more than them actually achieving anything - they become insufferable about it. For a full decade.

I guess the equivalent would be if Everton and Manchester City consistently finished above Liverpool and Manchester United every single year for 10 years, or even started winning league titles and Champions Leagues having played second fiddle to their same City rivals for decades.

Worst thing about relegation is having to play the dingles again.

Us and Burnley hate each other but they have been in our shadow for years and haven't beaten us in 33 years, I wish they didn't have a chance to break that :(

jtb

Banned
But if we sell Van Persie, we're gonna be stuck with the worst strikers on the planet :(

true. But the only reason chamakh, who has been in absolutely appalling form for the past year and a half, was ruined in the first place is because wenger refuses to play 4-4-2, so when van persie went a whole year without getting injured, chamakh's been a supersub (if you can even call it that, given he's been absolute shit.) he was supposed to be the adebayor replacement, except he arrived a year late; and adebayor rarely played as lone striker, iirc. in short, I blame wenger. for that, and for buying park. I can't even begin to wonder why the hell we bought park if it was only to stick him in the reserves and pay him, what, 60k a week? Shit, you're better off just doubling Nasri's fucking wages.

park, squillaci, diaby... ironic how being cheap can be so fucking expensive. /rant

having said that, who knows.... he bought podolski, maybe even buying m'vila?! who knows, maybe wenger realizes he has to replace van persie with a world class striker should he leave? I don't want my hopes to be mercilessly crushed as they always are... but.... :(

Bendtner is coming back, Don't worry.

:lol

PLUS there's a ready made replacement for Van Persie right here

:lol :lol :lol

jtb

Banned
He looked a million times better than Chamakh when he's played so I don't even.

a million times zero still equals zero!
though chamakh did go on that hot streak where he scored like 8 goals in as many matches when he first arrived. then van persie regained fitness and never looked back lolol... I don't know if park has featured in eight first team matches, let alone score.

well, hopefully podolski isn't shit!

I'm also surprised wenger hasn't used walcott as a striker this season, there seemed to be a bit of chatter about that before the season began - theo clearly doesn't learn so putting him on the wing seems a bit pointless when he can't cross the ball, has horrible decision making and clearly isn't turning into the next thierry henry anytime soon; just stick him in front as a pure poacher. he'll create chances just by virtue of defenses inevitably fucking up their offside trap every once in a while.

Choc

Banned
Bolton will do it for Fabrice

edit: Also Martinez is a fucking genuis. If Wigan play like this all season next year they'll do ok. Sadly they won't

He deserves a bigger club with players that give a shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom