• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

It appears so. I actually saw it @City_Watch, usually they're quite good at amalgamating City propaganda.

He didn't say which type of blue. (so he's definitely a gobshite)

So we all assume he'll go to either Chelsea or City?

sohois

it costs a lot of money to sack managers again im not defending kean but it does.

They need to have their contracts paid out. Probably why Mcleish has made it so far

Venky's offered Steve Kean a new two year contract earlier in the season, even as results were at their most dire and fan hatred was in full swing.

And on the subject of Mcleish, didn't Villa have to pay Birmingham in the first place to recruit him? Why would Villa be willing to part with money for a mediocre manager but not willing to pay money to get rid of him?

pulga

Banned
Well, I'm sober again. Time to pay tribute to the guys who made it all happen.

firma30_5.jpg

★★★ Antonio Conte - The Architect ★★★

1612316_full-lnd.jpg

Who would have thought, eh? In 2009 we tried to bring back the Juve spirit of olde by appointing the great Ciro Ferrara, but that didn't go according to keikaku. So when president Andrea Agnelli and sporting director Beppe Marotta announced Conte, another hero from the late 90s / early 00s era, many of us were a bit skeptical, to put it mildly. He did very well with Siena and Bari, yet his coaching career was just beginning. We knew he had the spirit, obviously, but did he have everything else? Well, fuck me, he did. He does! Some were depicting him as a 4-2-4 extremist, but he showed them better. Literally. 4-3-3 or 3-5-2? Who cares, they're just numbers, just consequent decisions of a man who looked his men in the eyes, saw what they were truly capable of, motivated them like nobody before him could, made them understand what it means to play for the Old Lady and sent them on the pitch with a new-found sense of pride and belonging. The three-man defense with Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini, augmented by the marathoning Lichtsteiner on the right; the all-in-three midfield with Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal; the unweavering faith in Vucinic up front ... are all his mertis and inventions. Sure, with a truly great striker, a true prima punta, the scudetto would have probably been won months ago. Well, there's still next year ... Senza di te non andremo lontano, Antonio Conte il nostro capitano!!!

★★★ Gigi Buffon - The Zipper ★★★

151951hp2.jpg

What else is there to say about the greatest goalkeeper of them all? Not much, really. After two injury-ridden years nobody was sure he could fully recover, not even he. Fortunately for us, he did. Thanks to the outstanding defending of the ten men in front of him he didn't exactly have his hands full this season, but whenever duty called, he answered like a true champ. Including last week, when he made a fatal mistake, the first in a long time, one which could and probably would have shattered the confidence of a lesser GK. Not him. Not the guy who stayed in 2006, when the rats were abandoning a sinking ship, and went to hell and back to heaven with us. What doesn't kill you, only makes you ... Gianluigi Buffon. Salta con noi, Gigi!

★★★ Giorgio Chiellini - The Rock ★★★

giorgio-chiellini.jpg

He may not be pretty to look at, not even when you're looking at him playing from far away, but I'll be damned if he isn't one of the best CBs out there. What he lacks in finesse, he more than makes up in aggressiveness, agonism, concentration and a fully developed sense of position. And heart, frankly, pure heart. With Bonucci and Barzagli he found the ideal partner(s) he lost when Cannavaro left and now the sky's the limit. I can't remember a single (fatal) error from him this season and he even did his part when Conte used him as a terzino on the left. The Juve spirit is strong in this one. Future captain? It's either him or Marchisio, I think. Giorgione Chiellini uno di noi!

★★★ Leonardo Bonucci - The Transformer ★★★

183558hp2.jpg

"Quello buono l'abbiamo preso noi!" ["We bought the good one!"] Did you now, Merde? No, you really didn't. When Bonucci left Bari for Juventus and his partner Ranocchia went to Inter, everybody though the latter was the talented one in the duo that made Bari's fortunes. And honestly, so did we Juve fans. Bonucci's start was shaky to say the very least and even when he started getting decent, he still managed to come up with such blunders that ... *shudder* The funny thing was you could kinda see that there was a good defender buried somewhere under all the errors, the indecisiveness pussyness and the chronic lack of concentration, but you brushed it away as wishful thinking. Then, Conte happened. The transformation was gradual, yet constant. What's more, we finally found out what they meant when they were saying that Bonucci has 'great legs'. At first, when you saw him advancing with the ball towards the midfield, head high, you instinctivly looked away, fearing the worst. Then ... you looked back and what you saw, you almost couldn't believe. Did Pirlo shave his head? What's Pirlo doing back there? Who's the guy doing all these vertical passes? For proof, you only have to look at who made the assist for Vucinic's goal yesterday. Come una fenice dalle ceneri, signori e signore, Leonardo Bonucci!

★★★ Andrea Barzagli - The Constant ★★★

Andrea-Barzagli1.jpg

Sometimes, you forget he's even there at all. But that's only because he does everything just right. Always with the clean tackles, always on time, like a fucking swiss clock. Elegant, firm, mature. Yep, mature is the word I'm looking for. He may not be Nesta and he'll be the first to tell you so, but he's as hard working, dedicated and professional as they come. Again, I can't remember a single fatal error in 40+ games. Outstanding season. Andrea, ma come cazzo hai fatto?

★★★ Stephan Lichtsteiner - The Human Dynamo ★★★

150790hp2.jpg

Great fullback or greatest fullback? I don't know, but he's definitely up there somewhere. What I do know is that the last time I was this excited about a FB, we had Lippi on the bench and one still young Gianluca Zambrotta running up and down our left flank. Licht is ... just great. He was phenomenal in the fist half of the season and very good in the second, where even he, the goddamn human dynamo, had to take a breather. I guess his crossing could use some more practice, but other than that ... Stephan, ma che l'hai preso tu il motorino di San Siro?! Heroic.

★★★ Paolo De Ceglie - Ashton Kutcher ★★★

145818hp2.jpg

To you, he's De Ceglie or maybe just some guy that plays for Juventus. To us, he's Paolino 'Ashton Kutcher' De Ceglie. Born in Aosta (by the way, he's the first player from Vale d'Aosta to have won a scudetto!) and raised in Torino. He's been with us from the very beginning of this footballing career and while there are better fullbacks / LMFs out there, he's was just such a pleasant surprise this season. His unfortunate injuries seem to be a thing of the past - another one of Conte's athletic staff miracles? - and he's just rock solid. Thanks Paolino, you certainly did your part!!!

★★★ Andrea Pirlo - The Professor ★★★

Andrea-Pirlo-demands-consistency-from-Juventus-125596.jpg

Thank you based Galliani and thank you Milan for gifting us this amazing, amazing, amazing football mind. I mean, I can understand why you'd want to let him go after ten fruitful years and what seemed (mostly due to physical problems) to be the start of his decline. But seriously - how could you give away someone like Pirlo?! It's him we have to thank for our possession-based football and brilliant ball distribution. What do you do when you're in trouble? You give the ball to Pirlo and something will surely happen. Magic, usually. May God preserve you, Andreino da Brescia, we'll be needing you still, because there simply isn't anyone who could ever replace you. One of a kind.

★★★ Claudio Marchisio - The Little Prince ★★★

NEWS_1297106070_marchisio_%285%29.jpg

Besides Del Piero, the player every young juventino dreams to one day become. Classy, talented and yet not afraid to run, to press, to give himself away for his teammates and the cause. The prototype of the modern midfielder, really. His incursions and numerous goals helped us a lot this season, where our strikers were frequently, how should I put it, on strike. Other than that, he's just a fantastic example of what it means to be a true juventino, born and raised in Piemonte. Capitan Futuro! (Sorry, Chiello!)

★★★ Arturo Vidal - The Warrior ★★★

arturo-vidal-juventus-parma_32328081_500x375.jpg

Now, I'm not saying we found the new Davids. BUT WE FUCKING DID! Best transfer of the season? I sure think so. This guy is a freaking beast. Not only is he a Gattuso, meaning he'll bite and press and growl until you'll step away from the ball screaming: "Take it, for God's sake, I can't stand this anymore, just fucking take it!' That he'll do for breakfast, while later in the afternoon you'll see him perform illuminating through-ball passes, lightning fast one-twos, crucial assists and score 3-point goals. He's got it all. Lord of the midfield! Also, thank you based Bayern!

★★★ Simone Pepe - The Engine ★★★

150856hp2.jpg

Every team needs a player like Simone. On paper at least, his true dimension is the province. But when you let someone like Conte inspire and motivate you, strange things can happen. I don't remember how many times he netted it from september to december last year, I just remember that it was a joy watching him play. Not only because of his generosity and unexpected quality on the pitch, but because he's such a humble and funny guy. He made Vidal (and Estigarribia) feel right at home from the very first training session, which is something I'll never forget. Grazie Simone, continua cosi'!

★★★ Mirko Vucinic - The Cat ★★★

151651hp2.jpg

The ever vaporous Vucinic actually giving a fuck. Sounds incredible, I know. And yet Conte somehow managed to keep him in check for a full season. Not that there haven't been moments or even whole matches where you'd have liked nothing more than to punch his sorry face. I mean, he's still Vucinic - an infuriating mix of pure genius and traditional balkanic lazyness (I should know, I'm from there :p). But this was by far his best season yet and you can hardly blame a guy for being what he is. Gremo Mirko, naše zemlje sin!

★★★ Alessandro Matri - The Dandy ★★★

matri.jpg

Look at him. Can you feel yourself turning gay? Ahem. I think it's fair to say that we all expected Alessandro to finish the campionato with a few more goals stashed away in his pocket. Say, ten more. Especially after the outstanding first half of the season. But hey, he's still our top scorer and man, what an improvement over Amauri! With a world-class striker incoming (or so we hope) and Quagliarella back to form he'll probably get way less playing time, but I sure hope he stays with us.

★★★ Alessandro Del Piero - Il Capitano ★★★

Alessandro-Del-Piero-008.jpg

Comment not necessary. Legend, as simple as that. ONE. MORE. YEAR.
:(

firma30_5.jpg

I haven't forgotten about Giaccherini, Borriello, Storari, Caceres, Marrone, Padoin and everybody else who made this dream a reality. But they'll have to wait until the 20th, when we're taking home the 10th Coppa Italia. That's right, I've said it. Bring it, Napoli!!!

255134orig.jpg

REPOSTING THIS HERE. I THINK I SHED A TEAR! AMAZING :')

Fry

Haha, these are two titles of episodes from LOST.

dc89

He didn't say which type of blue. (so he's definitely a gobshite)

So we all assume he'll go to either Chelsea or City?

A few signs point to City at the moment, but you can't rule Chelsea out. Or Birmingham City for that matter.

Will Hazard be living in a two bed or three bed house? Will it be in a nice area?

He could share Balotelli's 6 bedroom, rented £2,000,000 mansion in Prestbury. A very nice area indeed.

Haha, these are two titles of episodes from LOST.

So they are! Man I love Lost! I have the first two seasons on BluRay. Awesome stuff.

Kenka

Real Madrid Teknik Direktörü Jose Mourinho, şampiyonlukla taçlanan sezonun ardından transfer harekatına başladı.

La Liga'da 2011-2012 sezonunu şampiyon tamamlayan Real Madrid'de teknik direktör Jose Mourinho önümüzdeki sezon için kolları sıvadı.

Takımda aksayan bölgeleri güçlendirmek isteyen Portekizli teknik adam, yedek kulübesini de güçlendirerek alternatifi bol bir kadro yaratmak istiyor. Real Madrid'e yakınlığıyla bilinen Marca Gazetesi'nin iddiasına göre; bu sezon Ramos'u stopere çeken ve sağ bek pozisyonunda Arbeloa'yı değerlendiren Mou, bu bölgeyi Polonyalı oyuncu Lukasz Piszczek ile takviye etmeyi düşünüyor.

2010 yılında Dortmund'a katılan ve mükemmel iki sezon geçiren 27 yaşındaki Polonyalı futbolcu için ısrarcı olduğu belirtilen Mourinho'nun, bu transfer için Dortmund çalıştırıcısı Jurgen Kloop'un kapısını çalmaya hazırlanıyor.

Real Madrid geçtiğimiz sezon da Borussia Dortmund'dan milli futbolcumuz Nuri Şahin'i kadroya katmıştı.

Borussia Dortmund: Lukasz Piszczek im Visier von Real Madrid?

Borussia Dortmund, Lukasz Piszczek , Real Madrid, BVB, Jose Mourinho

Wie im vergangenen Jahr, als Nuri Sahin von einer Ausstiegsklausel Gebrauch machte und zu den Königlichen wechselte, droht Borussia Dortmund offenbar erneut der Verlust eines Leistungsträgers an Real Madrid. Zumindest soll der frischgebackene spanische Meister laut übereinstimmenden Medienberichten großes Interesse an einer Verpflichtung von Lukasz Piszczek haben.

Verwundern würde es nicht, wenn sich der polnische Nationalspieler tatsächlich im Fokus von Real Madrid und Trainer Jose Mourinho befinden würde, hat der 26-Jährige doch eine überragende Saison hinter sich, während die Königlichen auf Piszczeks Position durchaus Luft nach oben haben. Zwar lieferte Alvaro Arbeloa zumeist defensiv solide Leistungen ab, doch fehlt es dem Spanier an der Extraklasse, die der Großteil seiner Mitspieler verkörpert. Zudem besitzt Arbeloa seine Stärken eher in der Defensive, sodass im Madrider Offensivspiel häufig ein Ungleichgewicht herrscht, da Marcelo oder Fabio Coentrao auf der linken Seite deutlich offensiver zu Werke gehen.

Well, looks like that potential Piszczek move to Madrid fuels more speculations than first thought.

And lol at that second quote in which the newspaper implies that Piszczek has more class than Arbeloa. It might be true but this is quite an explicit statement, ha ha.

This was in De Telegraaf (Vertonghen):

"I owe much to Ajax, I have always given my whole heart and soul for them. My appreciation for the club and the fans is great". It would be terrible if my departure would be a long and distorted situation as Ajax would keep asking for a great price 'till the bone'. Of course I want Ajax to become financially better, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable. In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg's transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma. I want to flow in fluently, directly with the other Spurs players. Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like. Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."

neoanarch

Yeah I don't understand that. Which is why I can't bring myself to like Juve. Some fans just refuse to own up to their clubs misdeeds.

Carbonox

This was in De Telegraaf (Vertonghen):

"I owe much to Ajax, I have always given my whole heart and soul for them. My appreciation for the club and the fans is great". It would be terrible if my departure would be a long and distorted situation as Ajax would keep asking for a great price 'till the bone'. Of course I want Ajax to become financially better, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable. In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg's transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma. I want to flow in fluently, directly with the other Spurs players. Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like. Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."

Looks like Spurs are in the driving seat at the moment then. I wonder if he would be quoted as saying the same thing about another club if they offered a tad more to the club/Jan. :lol

Who would be partner for Spurs? Kaboul or Dawson? Vertonghen isn't a bench player by any standard.

Looks like Spurs are in the driving seat at the moment then. I wonder if he would be quoted as saying the same thing about another club if they offered a tad more to the club/Jan. :lol

Who would be partner for Spurs? Kaboul or Dawson? Vertonghen isn't a bench player by any standard.

I'm not going to pretend I know too much about Ajax, but I suspect that a) they would not have sold their captain in January, and b) he would not have wanted to leave at that stage of the season.

edit: just saw this on Twitter:

Julien Laurens ‏ @LaurensJulien
Very busy yesterday working on M'vila story. Deal 99% done. 22 million euros, 4 years. Great signing for Arsenal and player is delighted

dc89

Stoke have a new shirt sponsor. Bet365.

They just happen to be owned by the clubs owner, but where is the out cry like there was over Etihad.

dschalter

Stoke have a new shirt sponsor. Bet365.

They just happen to be owned by the clubs owner, but where is the out cry like there was over Etihad.

ffp is highly unlikely to be of much relevance for stoke, they're several hundred times more likely to go down than they are to qualify for the CL (granted they made the europa league via the cup last year, but there's no money in that)

Financial fairplay is unlikely to matter for anyone. I'm still positive that all the clubs will find their loopholes and they won't have the balls to throw out all the biggest clubs around the world.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Financial fairplay is unlikely to matter for anyone. I'm still positive that all the clubs will find their loopholes and they won't have the balls to throw out all the biggest clubs around the world.
Isn't the owner of Manchester City the owner of their biggest sponsor?

There you go.

Carbonox

So will Arsenal use either Song or M'Vila, or will they use both and play a 2-1-3 formation, rather than a 1-2-3 formation? Would be harsh on Song as he's one of Arsenal's best players if he was replaced by M'Vila. Wonder who will take up the AM role in front of them until Wilshere is 100% fit. Arteta most likely.

Carbonox

Inter Milan want Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse said this recently:

"My goal, long term, is to play in the top teams and win the Africa Cup of Nations," Cisse told L'Equipe.

"Also, I'd like to win the Champions League. Since I was little, I have liked Real Madrid but today I am in Newcastle. Even if it's not Manchester United or Manchester City, it's still a great club."

:lol Sigh.

dc89

ffp is highly unlikely to be of much relevance for stoke, they're several hundred times more likely to go down than they are to qualify for the CL (granted they made the europa league via the cup last year, but there's no money in that)

If Newcastle qualifies for the CL in the near future will there be an enquiry in to Spirts Direct and them sponsoring the stadium? It's owned by the owner of the club after all.

Because it's probably not for £400m?

The huge amount of money is for the stadium and the campus which will probably change English football, it's coaching and how it brings home grown players through for the better. Can a price be put on that considering nothing in England even comes close to its vision and ambition?

Maybe I'm deluded, but in years to come people will be saying there own club needs a campus similar to City's.

dc89

Do you really think people keep up to date with the latest Stoke news?

Lol, you are cruel.

Isn't the owner of Manchester City the owner of their biggest sponsor?

There you go.

Just like DW is probably the biggest sponsor of Wigan. And Sports Direct could be the biggest sponsor of Newcastle, but saying that Virgin probably paid quite a chunk for the shirt but logic tells me sponsorship of a venue costs more than a shirt.

If Newcastle qualifies for the CL in the near future will there be an enquiry in to Spirts Direct and them sponsoring the stadium? It's owned by the owner of the club after all.

The huge amount of money is for the stadium and the campus which will probably change English football, it's coaching and how it brings home grown players through for the better. Can a price be put on that considering nothing in England even comes close to its vision and ambition?

Maybe I'm deluded, but in years to come people will be saying there own club needs a campus similar to City's.

Sports Direct Arena is just a temporary name for the stadium.

BUT WHAT IS IT THEY DO SO WRONG?

is it

-no transfer funds

-wont sack a bad coach

-just not funding the club at all?

what

no one seems to like have a definitive list :(

There are a lot of clubs that do exactly that, Kenwright at Everton for example. So it must be more?

-Made certain promises when they bought the club including keeping the board, since then got rid of John Williams (one of the best CEOs in the game and a legend at rovers, the MD Tom Finn along with finance directors, club secretaries and the lot. Replaced them with inexperience and in one case a family friend.

-Sacked a solid manager whilst we were mid table

-Replaced him with the tea boy

-gave said tea boy a new contract whilst the fans wanted him out and we sat bottom of the league, a manager who got convicted of drink driving and in court said a fan probably spiked his drink

-promised 10m a year transfer funds, in reality we have sold samba and jones for about £30m combined and signed nobodies after going in the press saying we were after Ronaldinho and beckham etc

-have remortgaged the club

- are taking the advice of an agent who Alex ferguson said he 'wouldn't trust to pick his nose' coincidently we signed a lot of dud players from his agency and most obviously a lad who had been released from Aberdeen without playin more than a few minutes and was deemed not good enough for a league two club before that, coincidentally it was also the agents son!!!

-strong rumours that players are picked on weekly costs of bonuses and frozen out the likes of Jason Roberts, Chris samba and Ryan Nelsen and most insultingly Michel Salgado

Steve Kean is involved in most of this, told the press in December Salgado was injured, Michel then said he is fully fit but not being allowed to play.

There's more as well it's just all a disgrace

bjaelke

I'm not going to pretend I know too much about Ajax, but I suspect that a) they would not have sold their captain in January, and b) he would not have wanted to leave at that stage of the season.

edit: just saw this on Twitter:

Ajax was 5-6th in the table at that time and not looking too good. He likes the club too much to abandon them when they are vulnerable. The fans will understand if he leaves this Summer after they won the title - especially considering he only have 1 year left of his contract.

GorillaJu

You're not deluded, it's just impossible to see with your eyes gelled shut with City jizz.

What idiot would say "no, I don't want a new £1b facility for my club"? I guess those back room City geniuses have come out with an incredible strategy that - curiously - no one else has ever thought of: spend lots of money. I wonder why?

United, Chelsea and Liverpool all have absolutely top notch training and youth facilities. What they don't have is free reign to spend limitlessly on growth, no matter how much they want to

dc89

Yup. The Roberts and Salgado thing was a disgrace, I remember listening to 606 and Roberts was on there discussing it and he sounded genuinely upset and frustrated.

Also John Williams - as soon as Blackburn let him go City offered him a job and he accepted, that says a lot about the guys knowledge and ability.

So will Arsenal use either Song or M'Vila, or will they use both and play a 2-1-3 formation, rather than a 1-2-3 formation? Would be harsh on Song as he's one of Arsenal's best players if he was replaced by M'Vila. Wonder who will take up the AM role in front of them until Wilshere is 100% fit. Arteta most likely.

Next season?

Song - M'Vila - Wilshere

Or a diamond with Arteta, and Podolski with RVP up top, as well as Ramlol on the bench.

Either way, Arsenal potentially have the best midfield in the PL.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Next season?

Song - M'Vila - Wilshere

Or a diamond with Arteta, and Podolski with RVP up top, as well as Ramlol on the bench.

Either way, Arsenal potentially have the best midfield in the PL.

lol no

But it would certainly be an improvement. I doubt Wilshere will be ready next season, he has become the new Diaby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom