• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Yeah... Not sure about that second part. The phrase I would use is probably "very solid top-4 midfield."

lol no

But it would certainly be an improvement. I doubt Wilshere will be ready next season, he has become the new Diaby.

Arsenal, Tottenham and City would be the only teams from the PL to have a solid midfield and good replacements on the bench.

But most of Arsenal's good midfielders are made of glass, so you guys are right.

What a handsome young man

OQzO8.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
HAHA Pepe!
God, I could watch that forever. Pepe is just an amazing guy. "Here's Borriello ... he may not be good, but he's the prettiest one on the team." :D

Speaking of Pepes, it seems we'll be playing a friendly match against Real on the 5th of august in Las Vegas. The battle of the two Pepes, nice!
We'll finally get the answer to our question..

CR7 > SP7 or SP7 > CR7?
I agree with Inter being stripped of their cardboard cutout Scudetto. Juve should not be granted those titles back though.

You can keep posting 28 on every page for all I care (we clearly don't
qN6rW.gif
), but at the end of the day, I remember every single game of every single season, and if the superior team didn't win those titles on the pitch, then might as well strip our title this season. Trez scoring 23 goals without a single penalty was more than enough for me. ;)

Thanks santouras. (He supports Milan, btw)

Eh, hard to care about anything to be honest.
scvp1.jpg

dc89

Arsenal, Tottenham and City would be the only teams from the PL to have a solid midfield and good replacements on the bench.

But most of Arsenal's good midfielders are made of glass, so you guys are right.

Talking of midfielders, will Wilshere be ready for next season?

Manager

[Canal+]

The guy just can't be quiet.

City needs someone who can cover Silva and Nasri in a long season. But, someone for ~€30m...?

Technically they could all play, at the expense of Tevez. Hazard seems to be able to shoot pretty well so at least he'd be a goal threat. For some reason Silva doesn't shoot very well.

Yaya - Barry
Nasri - Hazard - Silva
Aguero

Must mean Adam Johnson is off if Hazard joins.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You can keep posting 28 on every page for all I care (we clearly don't
qN6rW.gif
), but at the end of the day, I remember every single game of every single season, and if the superior team didn't win those titles on the pitch, then might as well strip our title this season. Trez scoring 24 goals without a single penalty was more than enough for me. ;)

Thanks santouras. (He supports Milan, btw)

dc89

City needs someone who can cover Silva and Nasri in a long season. But, someone for ~€30m...?

Technically they could all play, at the expense of Tevez. Hazard seems to be able to shoot pretty well so at least he'd be a goal threat. For some reason Silva doesn't shoot very well.

Yaya - Barry
Nasri - Hazard - Silva
Aguero

Must mean Adam Johnson is off if Hazard joins.

A.J is a good player but when I've watched him he doesn't work for the team. I've never seen him back around the 18 yard box defending. When City have their backs against the wall the entire team is literally defending. I remember Aguero steam rolling in and stealing the ball 20 yards from goal.

But his work rate is phenomenal.

Ashes

Banned
Looking for at least a half for Clev against Sunderland.

I think Scholes was taken off, because he wasn't in the right frame of mind, more so than giving Clev a chance.

Swansea keep the ball a lot better than Sunderland will do.

On another separate note, I think Cleverly finds it harder to play in a 4-4-2 system than a freeer role in a 4-3-3.

Maybe it was just one match, (a match where we had to attack really high up) but his position was more than a bit off. Didn't link up with Carrick at all.

Carrick and Scholes are nearly always together. Or close enough for comfort in the centre.

Salazar

On another separate note, I think Cleverly finds it harder to play in a 4-4-2 system than a freeer role in a 4-3-3.

True.

And you're right - Scholes kicked out at the back of a bloke's legs just before he got subbed. Not a tackle, just a fuck you.

I dread to think what state you'll be in when he plays 90 minutes.

So we're clear, this is all I'm really looking for him to do. Bit more on occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwdkVaGWx4

Manager

A.J is a good player but when I've watched him he doesn't work for the team. I've never seen him back around the 18 yard box defending. When City have their backs against the wall the entire team is literally defending. I remember Aguero steam rolling in and stealing the ball 20 yards from goal.

But his work rate is phenomenal.

I had big hopes for him, but when you see what Silva and Nasri are capable off you realise he will never be as good. Sure, they cost a lot to buy, but hopefully City can start scout talent and buy similar talents earlier for less money.

He's a risk defensively, yes. But IDK if I agree on his work rate. As you said, he doesn't track back as much as the rest. He seems to think he's some big shit, the Bendtner syndrome. He doesn't seem like he has anything to prove. So I don't know if I ever thought much about his work rate. I mean, it's easy to run when in possession if you don't participate in defending.

His biggest problem is that he's shit during 90 minutes performances, but an incredible impact player when he comes on late. When everyone else is tired. He's perfect to throw on due to his technique. When City want to attack, get a goal. But, you need balance over 90 minutes - defense and offense, passing, possession. He simply doesn't offer that. And City can't afford any passengers, specially not in CL.

It also doesn't help that he has quite the reputation of being a drinker and party attender.

Carbonox

Newcastle bosses will be holding a meeting next week to discuss restructuring of the squad. Basically who will stay and who will go.

The following are most likely to be sold/let go:

Nile Ranger
Danny Guthrie (I hope not)
Leon Best
Peter Lovenkrands
Alan Smith
Xisco (LOL)

I'd imagine that would be it in terms of the players Newcastle WANT gone. That leaves us with our youngsters and best players.

The task would be to fill in the cracks and to plump the squad up for Europe. We definitely will need a new striker or 2 (unless Sammy sees more time) as we'd be left with just Ameobi, Cisse and Ba. New defenders are obvious, then we will need like 2/3 midfielders. Probably 1 or 2 young ones (Amalfitano will be one of them) and a solid one. Could do with a winger but with Ben Arfa, Gutierrez, Marveaux and unfortunately Obertan, they probably don't think we need a new one.

I was waiting for the goal package, although little premature of course as we're going to bag 3 or 4 in the final match. :D

I really like our Coppa goals. They ooze class. I hope somebody includes them in a complete goal package.

I also like how all the fair-weather Juve fans, who didn't sweat with us in Serie B, have come back to cheer us on. I don't think I can feel particularly angry against them with all the joy we have from #30sulcampo. Anyways, go ahead guys, buy some shirts so we can fund the purchase of Cavani. ;)

dc89

I had big hopes for him, but when you see what Silva and Nasri are capable off you realise he will never be as good. Sure, they cost a lot to buy, but hopefully City can start scout talent and buy similar talents earlier for less money.

He's a risk defensively, yes. But IDK if I agree on his work rate. As you said, he doesn't track back as much as the rest. He seems to think he's some big shit, the Bendtner syndrome. He doesn't seem like he has anything to prove. So I don't know if I ever thought much about his work rate. I mean, it's easy to run when in possession if you don't participate in defending.

His biggest problem is that he's shit during 90 minutes performances, but an incredible impact player when he comes on late. When everyone else is tired. He's perfect to throw on due to his technique. When City want to attack, get a goal. But, you need balance over 90 minutes - defense and offense, passing, possession. He simply doesn't offer that. And City can't afford any passengers, specially not in CL.

It also doesn't help that he has quite the reputation of being a drinker and party attender.

I agree with what you've said. Maybe Liverpool can take him off our hands if we get a new winger this summer.

Wilbur

Banned
Arsenal are going to sign M'Vila and we're not going to get anyone :(

Why we haven't been all over the deal is fucking ridiculous to me. Surely SAF would have heard Arsenal are in for him, he should have jumped in there and hijacked the deal.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WCfna.jpg

Arsenal are going to sign M'Vila and we're not going to get anyone :(

I don't buy his "no value in the market" line, I'm sure he's going to buy AND sell a few players in the summer.

Especially if you guys finish 2nd.

Hixx

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...land-s-mcclean-on-right-for-ireland-1-4524929

y b a ful Trapattoni? He is better than Duff and McGeady, stick them on the right instead of fucking about with a very promising talent.

Echo also reckon we'll be putting our hat in the ring for Hoilett which is great. 4-2-3-1 with the 3 being McClean, Sess and Hoilett? Hnngh. Not much chance of hit happening
our 2 will be sold and Hoilett will go to Spurs
but I thought the same with Wickham.

Carbonox

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...land-s-mcclean-on-right-for-ireland-1-4524929

y b a ful Trapattoni? He is better than Duff and McGeady, stick them on the right instead of fucking about with a very promising talent.

Echo also reckon we'll be putting our hat in the ring for Hoilett which is great. 4-2-3-1 with the 3 being McClean, Sess and Hoilett? Hnngh. Not much chance of hit happening
our 2 will be sold and Hoilett will go to Spurs
but I thought the same with Wickham.

Speaking of Wickham, how is he doing? Don't hear/see much of him.

After watching Pepe's video, I can't figure out Milos. Is he happy on the team, is he not happy on the team, does he really want to leave? Am I crazy for still wanting to give him another go?

I know he'll probably go. And I also know that in a lot of ways Elia is probably the better player, if for no other reason because he wants so desperately to succeed so you see him fighting for shit in the few 10 minute stints he does get.

dc89

Sorry to talk about games but holy shit at Max Payne 3.

I've not followed it since announcement at all, just looked at the OT and watched the videos highlighting specific features and it looks awesome.

15th May is a big date for games!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I also like how all the fair-weather Juve fans, who didn't sweat with us in Serie B, have come back to cheer us on. I don't think I can feel particularly angry against them with all the joy we have from #30sulcampo. Anyways, go ahead guys, buy some shirts so we can fund the purchase of Cavani. ;)

It's quite alright. This title tastes sweeter for us though ;) Kinda like defeating an extremely difficult boss in Dark Souls after dying multiple times :p

Believe!

After watching Pepe's video, I can't figure out Milos. Is he happy on the team, is he not happy on the team, does he really want to leave? Am I crazy for still wanting to give him another go?

I know he'll probably go. And I also know that in a lot of ways Elia is probably the better player, if for no other reason because he wants so desperately to succeed so you see him fighting for shit in the few 10 minute stints he does get.

I'm willing to sell both. Elia wants to leave anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom