• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Paul Scholes.

22 :(

Just saw someone on the internet argue that Giggs and Anderson can cover us in CM.

Going to bed.

Wilbury, get "WILBZ".

Oh god, Giggs in midfield is an arse rape to our whole team.

And might get Kermit 4 United

Get Hazard 7, just in case.

UsiJl.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck it, just ordered it. No name and number, used the 10% off code on Twitter, £18.30 with postage and packaging. Expecting it to be shite and/or it's not the actual kit and I'm saddled with some bizarre fake.

Arnie

Just saw someone on the internet argue that Giggs and Anderson can cover us in CM.

Going to bed.

The worst part is that's kind of what I think SAF thinks.

It's not just United though. I look at Arsenal tying up M'Vila, an absolutely quality signing, then I look at Spearing and Adam in midfield for us. I actually think Henderson is a really top talent, like Jones and Smalling, but he'll only grow when he plays in centre midfield. Against West Brom he was excellent in that position, despite the scoreline.

Still, I don't see enough quality in both our midfields to match Arsenal. If they have M'Vila, Wilshere and Arteta (I personally prefer him to Song) playing then they'll be an absolute force.

Wilbur

Banned
I decided to go with Cabaye's name on the back of the new Newcastle away shirt. ORDERED, WOOOOOOOOT.

Yeahh buddy. When my student loan comes in September I'm gonna get a fuckload of new kits... Madrid, Bilbao, Juve, Roma, Dortmund, probably United away... might get a France with Cabaye on

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
One more thing to look forward to in the break between the end and start of seasons - new kit reveals. We might have already discussed this in here, but Juve's new home shirt:

530403_446767255351563_352640304764259_1495953_78683288_n.jpg

I like it.
I wish! This one is fan made. It even includes the Coppa star for some reason :p
STOP jinxing it guys!

So Elia wants to leave and Krasic will surely follow. How much do you think we can get for both? Something like 15mil€? :/ Can't say I'll be particulary sorry to see them go, but I wish them all the best in their future endeavours.

I won't complain, but I'm sure we can get a little more than that!

WJD

The worst part is that's kind of what I think SAF thinks.

It's not just United though. I look at Arsenal tying up M'Vila, an absolutely quality signing, then I look at Spearing and Adam in midfield for us. I actually think Henderson is a really top talent, like Jones and Smalling, but he'll only grow when he plays in centre midfield. Against West Brom he was excellent in that position, despite the scoreline.

Still, I don't see enough quality in both our midfields to match Arsenal. If they have M'Vila, Wilshere and Arteta (I personally prefer him to Song) playing then they'll be an absolute force.

It just feels like Fergie doesn't place enough emphasis on the CM positions. Football has evolved in such a way now that centre mid is probably the most important position on the pitch and he seems to believe that all our midfielders need to be able to do is get the ball out to the wingers efficiently.

Maybe that will change this summer.

Carbonox

Yeahh buddy. When my student loan comes in September I'm gonna get a fuckload of new kits... Madrid, Bilbao, Juve, Roma, Dortmund, probably United away... might get a France with Cabaye on

France home and away shirts are sexy. Leaning towards the away one currently - it looks really smart.

Love the descriptions for some of these shirts/kit accessories though. Make me laugh:

The new Nike France Away Shirt has a short sleeve design with a striped finish, and has a lightweight construction for movement all over the pitch, allowing you to play and train like French superstars Karim Benzema, Florent Malouda and Eric Abidal.

Play like the Magpies in the new Puma Newcastle Home Shorts, perfect for showing off your skills like Fabricio Coloccini, Demba Ba and James Perch, with an elasticated waistband and lightweight athletic fit to keep you comfortable out on the pitch.

Arnie

It just feels like Fergie doesn't place enough emphasis on the CM positions. Football has evolved in such a way now that centre mid is probably the most important position on the pitch and he seems to believe that all our midfielders need to be able to do is get the ball out to the wingers efficiently.

Perhaps, although the fervent Gaitan rumours suggest something else to me. Who knows, SAF could be planning to play Cleverley and Kagawa next season if Scholes retires again.

Thinking about the Giggs thing, wasn't he pretty decent in the centre a couple of seasons ago?

elseanio

I bought some kits from a dodgy site, and they were amazing quality. Jomzajung or something. Think they're closed/renamed now

Wilbur

Banned
Perhaps, although the fervent Gaitan rumours suggest something else to me. Who knows, SAF could be planning to play Cleverley and Kagawa next season if Scholes retires again.

Thinking about the Giggs thing, wasn't he pretty decent in the centre a couple of seasons ago?

He was pretty good when he actually had a modicum of pace. He's much better putting in crosses from the wing.

Stubo

The two I ordered were very good quality, happy with them. So fuck spending 40 quid every time I want a shirt haha
My last kit was one of these:
XKUmf.jpg

I much preferred the away blue chevron shirt to the black on the home.

Should probably pick up a new shirt soon, gutted I never got an 18 Scholes, or a Berbatop before he leaves :( Would probably pick Valencia on a new one.

Manager

These players have all been rumoured to be sold this summer by City, I guessed the fees:
Kolarov - £8m?
Adebayor - £12m?
Savic - £4m?
Johnson - £10m?
Dzeko - £16m?

If it happens, they might cover a potential Hazard fee (if he meant City and not Chelsea).

Beside that, City might not buy much more players.

Hart
Zabaleta - Kompany - Lescott - Clichy
Nasri - Yaya - Barry - Silva
Tevez - Aguero

Subs: Pantilimon - Richards, Toure - De Jong, Milner, New Promising Winger - Balotelli

Rest: Taylor - Rekik, New Promising CB - Razak, Suarez, Ibrahim - Guidetti

(Zabaleta can cover Left Back as well. Richards stepping in at RB. Kolo can play both RB and CB. Rekik (CB/LB) is an incredible talent who will get playing time)

This means selling/releasing, if possible (but all not probable):
Kolarov
A Johnson
Savic
Adebayor
Dzeko
Boyata
Bridge
Weiss
Santa Cruz
Hargreaves (Ending contract)

Clegg

I think Uniteds problem is the formation. SAF likes playing with a 2 man midfield. For that to work we need 2 decent passers of the ball. I wanted M'Vila at United but he isn't the kind of player SAF wants imo. M'Vila is a great holding midfielder but isn't very creative. If we played a 3 man midfield then he'd be perfect. But a 2 man midfield restricts us when we go looking for new midfielders.I think SAF wants a creative passer that can operate from the middle of the pitch and can play in a 2 man midfield. This would allow him to keep his wingers. The problem for us is that there aren't that many players that could fulfill that role to the standard that SAF clearly wants. There is Modric at Spurs and Xavi and Iniesta at Barca but we don't really have a chance of signing those.

This is why I'm so skeptical of us going for Kagawa. He operates best when playing behind the striker. He isn't a CM which is what SAF is looking for. Buying Kagawa would mean changing the formation to accommodate him. Rooney would probably be shifted to the centre forward position and SAF would have to drop Welbeck.

Stubo

This is why I'm so skeptical of us going for Kagawa. He operates best when playing behind the striker. He isn't a CM which is what SAF is looking for. Buying Kagawa would mean changing the formation to accommodate him. Rooney would probably be shifted to the centre midfield position and SAF would have to make a starting striker of Welbeck.
Fixed? ;)

Arnie

Dzeko should go to Juve; if he's starting every game he can be deadly.

And yeah, I don't see us getting Kagawa.

I'm not entirely sure Dzeko would suit the style of play in Serie A. It's very different to England and Germany were strength and exceptional aerial ability can get you far. I'm not saying he's a crock with his feet, far from it, just that his greatest strengths don't really pair up with that league.

Not that it will happen but I think Van Persie's a perfect fit for Juve. Someone who's technically superb so when Pirlo threads the ball through it's almost a certain goal.

Jesus christ, just imagine Buffon, Chiellini, Pirlo and Van Persie. That's a spine of absolute superlatives.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm not entirely sure Dzeko would suit the style of play in Serie A. It's very different to England and Germany were strength and exceptional aerial ability can get you far. I'm not saying he's a crock with his feet, far from it, just that his greatest strengths don't really pair up with that league.

Not that it will happen but I think Van Persie's a perfect fit for Juve. Someone who's technically superb so when Pirlo threads the ball through it's almost a certain goal.

With Juve though, their midfielders do great work and they need someone just to finish the move off. If Dzeko's available they should take a punt.

Van Persie though, agreed. Won't happen though. Realistically, I can see Dzeko happening.

faridmon

There is a strong buzz coming from the staff room that Barkley is not get used for the last game of the season because he will be sold. Moyes does not want him to be integral part of the team and does not want the fans to be too much attached to him (just like Rooney)

That really sucks. he is a massive talent and the way he played showed how much passion he had for the team. Even to this day, he is still a great fan of the club and supports the lad all the way. However, I don't know if withholding a massive talent is great idea. Moyes likes to coach players how the hell he wants (which are bloody stupid) and the last time we had a talent, he was coached out of playing a great football to be just a static as Arteta when he left for Arsenal.

Hope for Rodwell to come back stronger than ever, but the guy is pretty much done for in terms of his creativity and technique.

Arnie

With Juve though, their midfielders do great work and they need someone just to finish the move off. If Dzeko's available they should take a punt.

Van Persie though, agreed. Won't happen though. Realistically, I can see Dzeko happening.

True. Torres has been floated about too, which I don't think is a terrible shout. It's less physical and Juve play the sort of through balls that he loves to run onto, rather than the fairly cumbersome and one note service he's received at Chelsea.

Wilbur

Banned
True. Torres has been floated about too, which I don't think is a terrible shout. It's less physical and Juve play the sort of through balls that he loves to run onto, rather than the fairly cumbersome and one note service he's received at Chelsea.

Torres would be better for them. If Juve get a great winger and someone like Cavani, they'll be near unstoppable for a year or two before Pirlo needs replacing.

jtb

Banned
I'd be down to straight swap Dzeko for RVP. Dzeko just needs a run of games to build up some confidence, and if he's the main striker w/ Podolski in a support/winger/back-up role... I wouldn't mind that at all.

It'll never happen though; aren't his wages absolutely ridiculous?

Feorax

Problem is that with Drogba unlikely to renew for another year, Torres won't be going anywhere. If he did, Chelsea would probably need to try and get the entire £50 million back to replace their main 2 striking options.

dc89

Just googled Soccer Triads to look at some reviews.

was finally told I could choose another shirt and get a reduction on it. I chose a Man Utd home shirt, with Chicarito on the back… surely everything was going to be just fine now!

Sean emailed me back after I had made my choice, with my £8 voucher code:

8 pounds voucher is: cun2

Thanks

Sean

Now, I don’t like to jump to conclusions, but does that offer code look a little… suspect, to anyone else? I’m sure I don’t need to spell it out. Is this what Sean really thought of me? I can pretty safely assume he created this offer code, as he was the one dealing with me.

http://blog.leonardchallis.com/web-sites/dont-buy-from-soccertriads-com/

ROFL!

Arnie

You're late.

Spent the morning nursing a shaving cut on the fringe of my lip that wouldn't stop bleeding. Literally three hours of tissue treatment to get the thing to clot. Almost went down to the minor injuries unit at the Hallamshire hospital. Absolutely ridiculous. I was up before 9 to get some work done too, quite hard to type with one hand pressed firmly against your gob.

I've tweeted him to make sure it's genuine, although the weather seems to indicate it's pretty legitimate. It certainly improved my day ten fold.

jtb

Banned
Lol at Wenger's comment that yaya toure was completely average when he went on trial. Wow

that's just wenger being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn - I thought we didn't take him because they couldn't get a work permit? we did get kolo after all, who was half decent before completely losing the plot around... 07/08 (but, hey, having to partner in defense with Gallas... I can understand it, to a certain extent)

and then we never replaced kolo either. still, I don't blame wenger for not getting yaya; couldn't get Ronaldo either!

Manager

I'd be down to straight swap Dzeko for RVP. Dzeko just needs a run of games to build up some confidence, and if he's the main striker w/ Podolski in a support/winger/back-up role... I wouldn't mind that at all.

It'll never happen though; aren't his wages absolutely ridiculous?

You're right about Dzeko, whoever buys him will get a fantastic striker. He just didn't fit City's playing style of little counter-attacks and no crossing. The rotation system Mancini use is also killing him. I mean, he was benched after scoring four goals against Spurs.

Dzeko is rumoured to earn €10m, ~£140k a week.

that's just wenger being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn - I thought we didn't take him because they couldn't get a work permit? we did get kolo after all, who was half decent before completely losing the plot around... 07/08 (but, hey, having to partner in defense with Gallas... I can understand it, to a certain extent)

and then we never replaced kolo either. still, I don't blame wenger for not getting yaya; couldn't get Ronaldo either!

Apparently we were looking at Drogba too, he would have cost £100,000

And to think we could have got Messi :(

Manager

I thought Kolo was playing bad at the time due to the malaria?

thaOwner

I have no faith whatsoever

Same here. How we managed to throw an 8 point advantage away still boggles my mind. Definitely not in our character to drop points like we did at this time of the season. I've pretty much given up on this season. SAF has got to stop spewing " no value in the transfer market" bullshit. We need to bolster our midfield with some decent signings.

Manager

I don't get why Arsenal fans are killing themselves with this. Kids are having trials to the left and right. Sure, Yaya was there, but he was surely at tons of other clubs too. And Arsenal probably trial hundreds every year.

And Messi was said to be stopped by work permit. How many 15 y/o South-American kids get work permits? I don't understand why Arsenal even tried?

(I've heard of English clubs signing a player and loan him out to gain work permit in other countries, but not 15 y/o's)

sohois

These players have all been rumoured to be sold this summer by City, I guessed the fees:
Kolarov - £8m?
Adebayor - £12m?
Savic - £4m?
Johnson - £10m?
Dzeko - £16m?

If it happens, they might cover a potential Hazard fee (if he meant City and not Chelsea).

Beside that, City might not buy much more players.

Hart
Zabaleta - Kompany - Lescott - Clichy
Nasri - Yaya - Barry - Silva
Tevez - Aguero

Subs: Pantilimon - Richards, Toure - De Jong, Milner, New Promising Winger - Balotelli

Rest: Taylor - Rekik, New Promising CB - Razak, Suarez, Ibrahim - Guidetti

(Zabaleta can cover Left Back as well. Richards stepping in at RB. Kolo can play both RB and CB. Rekik (CB/LB) is an incredible talent who will get playing time)

This means selling/releasing, if possible (but all not probable):
Kolarov
A Johnson
Savic
Adebayor
Dzeko
Boyata
Bridge
Weiss
Santa Cruz
Hargreaves (Ending contract)

This is an absurd plan. First of all, as a Man City fan you are probably being too optimistic on those transfer fees, not to mention people tend to be overly optimistic, you should expect about half of that, though this could still cover Hazard easily enough.

However, far more egregious is your inclination to retain just 17 first team players for a squad that will be looking to compete on 4 fronts. To supplement these players you suggest 2 "new promising players" (where will the money come for these, assuming you are including FFP in your calculations? Not to mention Savic was supposed to be a new promising CB). Then the rest of the squad is filled with players who have barely a single minute of Pl experience between them. Not even the most ambitious Arsenal fan, most hopeful Liverpool fan or Salazar would really on so many youth players for their prospective squads.

And finally, do you really expect Tevez to remain after all that has happened?

jtb

Banned

there's always stories of what could have been... though Drogba would've been picked up pre-invincibles... can't see him fitting into that team. Chelsea picked him up right at the perfect time for their team, and they reaped the rewards :(. as for messi, I'm sure he would have wanted to return to barcelona, like pique and cesc did.

I thought Kolo was playing bad at the time due to the malaria?

yeah, he did. But, towards the end of his time at arsenal he was just erratic and unreliable; I still have nightmares of the 07/08 champions league match at Anfield... fucking kolo, like 30 seconds after walcott goes on the greatest run of his arsenal career, needlessly fouls babel in the box. goddamn; that 07/08 team (hell, any of the 07/08 top four) would mercilessly crush any PL teams this season.

still, he was a decent defender. Just can't have two headless chickens in your central defense, regardless of how talented each of them might be.

Arnie

Just erected a Lucas poster above my TV. When I'm 10 down in a crunch game of Halo I'll look up, see Lucas, and turn things around.

faridmon

Also, Derenthe is gone. Shame, he had talents, but the guy was very inconsistent and had dicsiplinary problems.

Well, as long we sign Peanuts on a premanant basis.

I'm not sure who we are going to get to play on our right. But I just saw the Elia wanting to leave. Fine, then. But I think if that's true then, frankly, we should give Krasic another go. Perhaps we go for another RWer or it's just Estigarribia and Giaccherini compete with Pepe, but you got to think we need somebody on the right to provide a creative spark, especially if Vucinic goes down--unless we want to seitch to 3-5-2.

If we sell them both, I think we get our money back from Elia or just about, so 8-9m, and for Krasic we get 12-15m, maybe about 20m in total combined. What choice will we have in that case but to spring for a new forward in addition to a ST. Dzsudzak? Do we join the Hazard race? Maybe we just bring back... Giovinco. I mean, it all seems to make sense for his arrival now, doesn't it?

Kolarov is for sale. 7-8m? Good competition for Paolino, plus his experience, and he knows the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom