• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

1.jpg

Fancy gifts? Jelly.

Oh and Tosspot Chambermaid looks like a granny. A rather sad one, knowing the guy next to him is leaving.

bjaelke

An extraordinary letter written in late December by Blackburn Rovers’ deputy CEO Paul Hunt to the club’s owner, Anuradha Desai, has laid bare the crisis that has been gripping the club all season.
The 2,500-word document, dated 21 December 2011 and written just hours after Rovers had lost 2-1 at home to Bolton on 20 December, details financial problems then afflicting the club, hints at a massive rift between the owners and other executives over the future of manager Steve Kean, and implores Mrs Desai to allow people she had appointed – Hunt included – to run the club.
Blackburn have never appointed a CEO to replace John Williams and so Hunt has been in de facto control at Blackburn since his own appointment last year. What the letter clearly shows, however, is that ultimately control has always rested in India.

Sportingintelligence, which has authenticated the letter as genuine, has had sight of the letter and understands it is in circulation and is likely to published in full imminently.
Hunt begins by writing: “I have been your senior officer at the club for six months now and I feel that I must now write to you to ask you to make some significant changes to save the club, perhaps from relegation but also perhaps from administration.
“In 20 years of the Premier League there has been only one side that was bottom of the league at Christmas that has survived relegation at the end of the season.
“With the bank closing in, I fear that they will look to foreclose and have the potential to implement financial restrictions upon the club that could (as a worst-case scenario) enforce administration.
“I have kept quiet for a time now out of utmost respect and I trust that you realise that I am only emailing you now as I want what is only the best for Blackburn Rovers and the owners.
“I am very much of the opinion that we can save the club and I have always been very supportive and positive towards the owners. Therefore I hope you know that what I am saying is considered, honest, constructive and from the heart.
“I ask that we instigate all the changes below in this 10 point plan.”

Paul Hunt’s 10 point plan to save Blackburn appears to be the last throw of the dice by an executive deeply concerned about turning around a troubled ship.
Unfortunately for fans – who saw their club’s relegation confirmed last night – he was ignored.
The 10-point plan seeks clarity on Hunt’s own position, and then moves on “Owners to invest in the club”.
That section says: “As you are aware Barclays have asked for the owners to put £10m into the business. This needs to happen and I am confident that this could only be a loan as we would increase the value of the club significantly. With all the speculation in the press the playing staff value and overall club value is depreciating on a daily basis.
“By putting an end to this the owners would be protecting their investment, putting their trust in the executive team and the club. The position with the finances is a cause for grave concern.
“Auditors KPMG have put as many obstacles as they can in the way of signing off the accounts due to their concerns. We continue to try and work with Barclays but they are very quickly losing patience as we cannot give answers. We have been forced to agree to additional spending against our wishes (Christmas hampers, sponsoring the Princes Trust event etc) and I am fearful that the situation will only get worse.
“During January we need additional funding to pay wages etc.”

Point 3 of the 10-point plan is extraordinary and says Kean had not only lost the crowd but also the dressing room.
It says: “Publicly I have been asked to support the manager and I always have as I personally like Steve. I have supported him from the start and have been desperate for him to do well. However, I am now of the opinion that it isn’t working and he is ready to go.
“He has lost the crowd and as a result of this evening’s game has lost the dressing room as well – the players no longer want to play for him. It is a shame and disappointing but we must act now to save the club. The board should be asked their opinion in who should be the new manager.”
Point four asks Mrs Desai to allow her executives at Ewood to run the club, point five calls for a more cohesive PR strategy, point six calls for more trips by Ewood executives to meet the stayaway owners, point seven asks the owners to visit the club more and point eight asks for the Ewood executives to hire and fire – rather than Mrs Desai making these decisions.

Point nine says: “We are losing fans/customers at an alarming rate. I am very concerned that fans are voting with their feet and not attending, not purchasing and not engaging with the club.
“Research shows that only 5% of ex season ticket holders will ever return. We are losing sponsors and suppliers. I am concerned we will lose Umbro if we continue to manufacture Rovers shirts in India for the RoverStar programme. Their contract specifically disallows this and we are putting at risk £800k of annual revenue.
“The Blackburn Rovers and Venky’s brands are both suffering terribly. Whilst there are negative goings on such as protests, complaints, media stories, unhappy fans etc, then both brands are losing brand equity and consequently, losing value.
“I am also concerned that the Premier League will intervene soon as they may take the view that their brand is being tarnished by association too. It is all reparable of course but we must start to act now by building bridges with fans and the media as above.”
The letter finishes with point 10, essentially a drawn out message of regret that the owners have not allowed the club to be run properly from Blackburn. It ends: “I look forward to hearing your thoughts. With very best wishes for a bright future, Paul.”
Oh my.

thaOwner

I think Uniteds problem is the formation. SAF likes playing with a 2 man midfield. For that to work we need 2 decent passers of the ball. I wanted M'Vila at United but he isn't the kind of player SAF wants imo. M'Vila is a great holding midfielder but isn't very creative. If we played a 3 man midfield then he'd be perfect. But a 2 man midfield restricts us when we go looking for new midfielders.I think SAF wants a creative passer that can operate from the middle of the pitch and can play in a 2 man midfield. This would allow him to keep his wingers. The problem for us is that there aren't that many players that could fulfill that role to the standard that SAF clearly wants. There is Modric at Spurs and Xavi and Iniesta at Barca but we don't really have a chance of signing those.

This is why I'm so skeptical of us going for Kagawa. He operates best when playing behind the striker. He isn't a CM which is what SAF is looking for. Buying Kagawa would mean changing the formation to accommodate him. Rooney would probably be shifted to the centre forward position and SAF would have to drop Welbeck.

Why not just move Rooney to midfield and push Kagawa up behind Welbeck/Hernandez instead of dropping him ?

The SoccerTriads kits are rated, then? Haha :p

The two I received were very good. Even had the Forza Juve on the underside of the badge. I was hoping to try out the other cheap kit site, but no1 will share it with me. I need to get a Spain shirt for my girlfriend, but I want to see if I can get a more reliable shipping time.

Help me footyGAF!

Also, this thread is very cyclical.

Donde, está, la biblioteca. Me llamo T-Bone La araña discoteca.
Discoteca, muñeca, La biblioteca esa bigotes grandes, perro, manteca.
Manteca, bigotes, gigante, pequeño, cabeza es nieve, cerveza es bueno.
Buenos dias, me gusta papas frías, bigotes de la cabra Es Cameron Diaz.
YES! Sometimes I just go back and watch this little rap. Great show, thanks for suggesting Slizz.

Why were we not interested in MVila. Why? I can't understand it. All I can think of is that Ferguson isn't impressed with him personally, they say he does thorough check it's into a players character. He is perfect for us and available at a great price. Just baffled.

Manager

This is an absurd plan. First of all, as a Man City fan you are probably being too optimistic on those transfer fees, not to mention people tend to be overly optimistic, you should expect about half of that, though this could still cover Hazard easily enough.

However, far more egregious is your inclination to retain just 17 first team players for a squad that will be looking to compete on 4 fronts. To supplement these players you suggest 2 "new promising players" (where will the money come for these, assuming you are including FFP in your calculations? Not to mention Savic was supposed to be a new promising CB). Then the rest of the squad is filled with players who have barely a single minute of Pl experience between them. Not even the most ambitious Arsenal fan, most hopeful Liverpool fan or Salazar would really on so many youth players for their prospective squads.

And finally, do you really expect Tevez to remain after all that has happened?

I count 20 senior players in there (starters + bench + Taylor & New CB). Then there's Guidetti who played a full season in Holland.

Manchester City Premier League squad Registered for 11/12 season:
Home grown: Barry, Bridge, Clichy, Hart, A Johnson, Lescott, Milner, Onuoha, Richards, Taylor.

Non-home grown: Aguero, De Jong, Dzeko, Hargreaves, Kolarov, Kompany, Nasri, Pantilimon, Nielsen, Silva, Tevez, Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure, Zabaleta.

Ignoring Bridge, Onouha, Nielsen and Hargreaves who were loaned out/not available since day 1, that's 21 players. And that includes Tevez (but lack Balotelli who's U21). Plus, I said I didn't think it was realistic that they all could be sold.

I don't expect anything of Tevez. But Mancini said he can stay, the whole squad says he can stay and Tevez himself said he'd stay.

Regarding the fees, which I said was guesswork:
Kolarov - £8m? (Incredibly highly rated in Italy and many clubs are interested, played well this season)
Adebayor - £12m? (As I said, guess work. The high salary might put clubs off though. But 16 goals and 11 assists in PL)
Savic - £4m? (£2m?)
Johnson - £10m? (English International with not so high wages)
Dzeko - £16m? (Young, high reputation and many clubs seem interested)

Slizz

The two I received were very good. Even had the Forza Juve on the underside of the badge. I was hoping to try out the other cheap kit site, but no1 will share it with me. I need to get a Spain shirt for my girlfriend, but I want to see if I can get a more reliable shipping time.

Help me footyGAF!

Dude I'd totally go with Triads again regardless of ship time. For some reason the Spain away kit is more expensive than the France one on Kitbag. 96$ compared to 88$

RDDPM.png

and then for some reason the Dutch home on Kitbag is like 140$

Plus no printing.

EDIT:

YES! Sometimes I just go back and watch this little rap. Great show, thanks for suggesting Slizz.

How far are you into the show now? Up to season 3 yet?

jtb

Banned
savic will stay - he's young, send him out on loan. adebayor... can't see anyone shelling out 10m+ while his wages are so high. just keep sending him out on loan too. Adebayor's only had like one great season, the rest have been decent at best - I really don't know which club, Tottenham excluded, could both afford the fee, the wages, AND be a high-enough profile club to attract him, not to mention would be willing to punt on him rather than some other up-and-coming striker. PSG maybe? the rest seem like reasonable fees, I think.

Dude I'd totally go with Triads again regardless of ship time. For some reason the Spain away kit is more expensive than the France one on Kitbag. 96$ compared to 88$

RDDPM.png

Plus no printing.

EDIT:

Because I'm an asshole, and I'm purchasing the jersey for someone else who couldn't care less about the quality, and will just be excited I purchased her a Spain kit, I was willing to try a different manufacturer. But if you say so, I'll go with SoccerTriads again. Jeez.

Slizz

No :(

With revision, football, other shows blocking my progress....still only on Season 2.

Season 2 is real awesome though.... Might be better than 3, however season 3 is getting real good.

Because I'm an asshole, and I'm purchasing the jersey for someone else who couldn't care less about the quality, and will just be excited I purchased her a Spain kit, I was willing to try a different manufacturer. But if you say so, I'll go with SoccerTriads again. Jeez.

LOL damn man chilllllllllll. I was jus saying, cause I went to Kitbag just to see what deals they had and was shocked at varying prices for Euro kits, thought it was kinda odd...

Wilbur

Banned

erm....

Help me footyGAF!

I'm not sure what the other site is dude. There are other sites out there that do this stuff, I have used "bornprosper" or something along those lines in the past and I used to use "halfpricekits" because they used to make actually small sized shirts, but they've closed down now.

Meier

Kolarov - £8m? (Incredibly highly rated in Italy and many clubs are interested, played well this season)
Adebayor - £12m? (As I said, guess work. The high salary might put clubs off though. But 16 goals and 11 assists in PL)
Savic - £4m? (£2m?)
I think your fees are pretty accurate. I don't think we'll sell Savic though -- he was absolutely terrible in the bit where we played him but I think there's room for improvement due to his age. He just needs a full-season loan to get more experience under his belt. Johnson has shown that he is a quality Premier league winger, he just needs to play for a team where he can be featured. Definitely should yield at least £10 million.

I'm not sure if we'll sell Kolarov either.. Zaba can cover both RB/LB positions in a pinch but I think we'd probably want to keep a realistic back-up to Clichy on the off chance both Zaba and Micah got hurt and we then had no RB.

Dzeko will sell for close to £20m if I had to guess -- I doubt Mancini will sell him otherwise. He has been linked to a number of clubs in the past month or so and I'm sure one of the moves will come to fruition. PSG are apparently hot on his trail.

Adebayor is anyone's guess. Might just end up being another full-season loan but the fact he's scoring at a torrid pace means someone will come knocking whether it's a transfer or a loan.

elseanio

I'm not sure what the other site is dude. There are other sites out there that do this stuff, I have used "bornprosper" or something along those lines in the past and I used to use "halfpricekits" because they used to make actually small sized shirts, but they've closed down now.

This is the new bornprosper

http://www.gigameshop.com/

USE AT OWN RISK! The site often changes names/goes down, so research first. I would use paypal too, so they don't have your card details

Manager

I think your fees are pretty accurate. I don't think we'll sell Savic though -- he was absolutely terrible in the bit where we played him but I think there's room for improvement due to his age. He just needs a full-season loan to get more experience under his belt.

I'm not sure if we'll sell Kolarov either.. Zaba can cover both RB/LB positions in a pinch but I think we'd probably want to keep a realistic back-up to Clichy on the off chance both Zaba and Micah got hurt and we then had no RB.

Dzeko will sell for close to 20m if I had to guess -- I doubt Mancini will sell him otherwise. Adebayor is anyone's guess. Might just end up being another full-season loan but the fact he's scoring at a torrid pace means someone will come knocking..

Kolo has played RB all his life though, if both Zaba and Micah get hurt. But all this is me counting on that Rekik, one of the biggest talents in Europe, gets playing time in the early rounds of the cups. And Mancini has spoken highly of him, plus he got experience when being loaned out.

Let's also not forget Yaya played CB for Barcelona, worst case scenario.

Mancini might still keep Kolarov though (if he's ready to stay), but he's on such high salaries for a backup. But, if Yaya and Kolo want to play ACN (Yaya has said he might not) City needs to keep him.

Anyhow, if Savic won't be sold he must be loaned out so I doubt he'll play for City next season.

This is the new bornprosper

http://www.gigameshop.com/

USE AT OWN RISK! The site often changes names/goes down, so research first. I would use paypal too, so they don't have your card details
Ah, cool. Yeah I used bornprosper quite a bit back in the day, was good, never had any problems, but the sizing got annoying because the shirts would always be just a little bit too big.

I've got too many shirts now, tempted to buy some this summer again but I'm close to 20 and I think from now I will just stick to buying the really fantastic shirts out there or then some more obscure ones. Planning to start buying shirts of local teams from places I visit.

pappe

savic will stay - he's young, send him out on loan. adebayor... can't see anyone shelling out 10m+ while his wages are so high. just keep sending him out on loan too. Adebayor's only had like one great season, the rest have been decent at best - I really don't know which club, Tottenham excluded, could both afford the fee, the wages, AND be a high-enough profile club to attract him, not to mention would be willing to punt on him rather than some other up-and-coming striker. PSG maybe? the rest seem like reasonable fees, I think.

Anzhi!

sohois

I count 20 senior players in there (starters + bench + Taylor & New CB). Then there's Guidetti who played a full season in Holland.

Manchester City Premier League squad Registered for 11/12 season:

Ignoring Bridge, Onouha, Nielsen and Hargreaves who were loaned out/not available since day 1, that's 21 players. And that includes Tevez (but lack Balotelli who's U21). Plus, I said I didn't think it was realistic that they all could be sold.

I don't expect anything of Tevez. But Mancini said he can stay, the whole squad says he can stay and Tevez himself said he'd stay.

Savic - £4m? (£2m?)

There are 20 senior players assuming that you actually sign these 2 new promising players, who as I said may not materialize and even if they do, Savic was supposed to be a new promising player, so there are 18 currently at the club which includes a 3rd choice gk.

Man City may have had a small squad (and Hargreaves was signed with the expectation of being available, when he was not City loaned Pizarro from Roma) in this season, but then they were swiftly knocked out of the FA cup & Champions League, slashing a number of games from the schedule. Additionally, despite having what is widely agreed to be a much better squad then ManU, City still managed to almost completely throw away the title when it should have been won at a canter.

The transfer fees are not unreasonable, save for the fact that is is Man City. They are highly motivated sellers and thus likely to accept far less than other teams and secondly all of those players will be on much higher wages than they can get elsewhere, greatly reducing the number of interested parties unless City agreed to something like slashing the price. Hence why those fees are unlikely.

Wilbur

Banned
Ah, cool. Yeah I used bornprosper quite a bit back in the day, was good, never had any problems, but the sizing got annoying because the shirts would always be just a little bit too big.

I've got too many shirts now, tempted to buy some this summer again but I'm close to 20 and I think from now I will just stick to buying the really fantastic shirts out there or then some more obscure ones. Planning to start buying shirts of local teams from places I visit.

I've got about 10 from when I was younger, but the only ones that fit me now (and even that's only marginally so!) are the two I just bought. So wanna get a little collection.

Manager

There are 20 senior players assuming that you actually sign these 2 new promising players, who as I said may not materialize and even if they do, Savic was supposed to be a new promising player, so there are 18 currently at the club which includes a 3rd choice gk.

Man City may have had a small squad (and Hargreaves was signed with the expectation of being available, when he was not City loaned Pizarro from Roma) in this season, but then they were swiftly knocked out of the FA cup & Champions League, slashing a number of games from the schedule. Additionally, despite having what is widely agreed to be a much better squad then ManU, City still managed to almost completely throw away the title when it should have been won at a canter.

The transfer fees are not unreasonable, save for the fact that is is Man City. They are highly motivated sellers and thus likely to accept far less than other teams and secondly all of those players will be on much higher wages than they can get elsewhere, greatly reducing the number of interested parties unless City agreed to something like slashing the price. Hence why those fees are unlikely.

I've already lowered the fees on the points you presented. Adebayor just turned 28, scored 16 goals and 11 assists. Does that and £12m make sense to you? No, he'd be valued much higher if it wasn't for his salary.

Savic and Johnson doesn't have high salaries. Dzeko might be a problem, but he has shown he's a class player. And he just turned 26. He'd perform well in any club but City and 2-3 others. City can also pay a % of his future salary at his new club.

"but then they were swiftly knocked out of the FA cup & Champions League"

Europa League replaced Champions League. Yes, City crashed out of it too, but I doubt many clubs can show a squad that could take four competitions with ease.

"There are 20 senior players assuming that you actually sign these 2 new promising players, who as I said may not materialize "

But I was planning here, and said they would. I said Johnson, for example, would be sold if Hazard joined. Or some other winger.

I never said this players would be sold within two weeks. I said to you, now this is the third time, that all those players can't be sold, and can therefore represent City. But I put my plan, that if this was possible, it would be my proposal. But I'm not Roberto Mancini.

"Additionally, despite having what is widely agreed to be a much better squad then ManU, City still managed to almost completely throw away the title when it should have been won at a canter. "

Due to Yaya being away, mostly. He's way too important for City. Thankfully Nasri and Silva stepped up just when they needed to, in the last second. Also Tevez.

I'm not saying I know the perfect formula for exactly how many players are needed. It's not like there is any foulproof system. I just presented a squad similar size to the one Mancini picked last summer, give or take one or two.

choodi

Banned
Best place to buy official Euro2012 kits that delivers internationally?

I want to get the Greek jersey before the Euros start, but dont want to pay the ridiculous prices they charge here in Australia.

Preferably one that will print custom name/number.

jtb

Banned
I've already lowered the fees on the points you presented. Adebayor just turned 28, scored 16 goals and 11 assists. Does that and £12m make sense to you? No, he'd be valued much higher if it wasn't for his salary.

Savic and Johnson doesn't have high salaries. Dzeko might be a problem, but he has shown he's a class player. And he just turned 26. He'd perform well in any club but City and 2-3 others.

"but then they were swiftly knocked out of the FA cup & Champions League"

Europa League replaced Champions League. Yes, City crashed out of it too, but I doubt many clubs can show a squad that could take all that with ease.

"There are 20 senior players assuming that you actually sign these 2 new promising players, who as I said may not materialize "

But I was planning here, and said they would. I said Johnson, for example, would be sold if Hazard joined. Or some other winger.

I never said this players would be sold within two weeks. I said to you, now this is the third time, that all those players can't be sold, and can therefore represent City. But I put my plan, that if this was possible, it would be my proposal. But I'm not Roberto Mancini.

"Additionally, despite having what is widely agreed to be a much better squad then ManU, City still managed to almost completely throw away the title when it should have been won at a canter. "

Due to Yaya being away, mostly. He's way too important for City. Thankfully Nasri and Silva stepped up just when they needed to, in the last second. Also Tevez.

I'm not saying I know the perfect formula for exactly how many players are needed. It's not like there is any foulproof system. I just presented a squad similar size to the one Mancini picked last summer, give or take one or two.

the problem with adebayor is that he's a pretty shit finisher, he only functions when he has a ton of support from a really positive, strong midfield like Tottenham or (lol...) Arsenal because they're constantly creating chances. For most teams, his three-missed-sitters-a-match warm-up routine won't work too well... just look at his stint at real madrid. he scored like, what, twice? in all of his la liga matches, because mou played a really direct, counterattacking style. pretty good at holding up the ball, and I guess he can head the ball too. in other words, a slightly younger, overpaid heskey!

as for the europa/champions league point, I mean... does the carling cup really count as a squad draining competition? so really, there's two competitions (league and europa). though I'd blame mancini for failure in champions league/europa, rather than any failing of your squad; he's horrible in Europe, and I don't think that's hyperbole.

sneaky77

RDDPM.png

Plus no printing.

EDIT:

That seems expensive, did you guys check out soccer.com

Manager

the problem with adebayor is that he's a pretty shit finisher, he only functions when he has a ton of support from a really positive, strong midfield like Tottenham or (lol...) Arsenal because they're constantly creating chances. For most teams, his three-missed-sitters-a-match warm-up routine won't work too well... just look at his stint at real madrid. he scored like, what, twice? in all of his la liga matches, because mou played a really direct, counterattacking style. pretty good at holding up the ball, and I guess he can head the ball too. in other words, a slightly younger, overpaid heskey!

as for the europa/champions league point, I mean... does the carling cup really count as a squad draining competition? so really, there's two competitions (league and europa). though I'd blame mancini for failure in champions league/europa, rather than any failing of your squad; he's horrible in Europe, and I don't think that's hyperbole.

He just didn't seem to learn. He kept playing Balotelli, kept playing Kolarov, kept playing De Jong, kept rotating Dzeko. Balotelli getting all those bans was the best that could happen to City. He also NEVER subbed in time.

Tevez really helped too. If Mancini starts Balotelli next season I'm gonna go apeshit.

Sunderland star James McClean gets death threats on Twitter after Republic of Ireland call-up

"U deserve to be shot for that comment!! Your playing for Ireland and not the country you were born in (NI). #p****"

“F*** up your dirty fenian b****** il make sure you get shot when you set foot back into gods country #FTP.”

Classy stuff.

Him making fun of Northern Ireland was not classy, specially as he was born there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom