• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

sorry if old, but some of these are mind boggling.

20 Steve Kean qoutes

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-kean-20-damning-quotes-823871

"
Steve on November 22nd: “Yes, there have been discussions about a new contract, but I have told the owners that this is an inappropriate time to conclude any new contract discussions. Instead, the real issue is for me and everyone else to concentrate on the games.”

Gordon says: Steve signed a new contract on November 25th.

Steve said: “There is no way Chris Samba is leaving this football club. I've spoken to the owners and that's the end of the matter.”

Gordon says: Samba left two weeks later.

Steve on Ryan Nelsen: “He's in a bad way. I've just been to see him. He's in traction. We need experienced players in the team and I can't wait to get him back, but I doubt he'll be let out before the end of the season."

Gordon says: Four days later Nelsen made his debut for Spurs.

"

Good lord.

Carbonox

1_medium.gif

:lol Cos we're comparable to the circus that is Blackburn. I know the point you're getting at but it doesn't matter.

PaulLFC

sorry if old, but some of these are mind boggling.

20 Steve Kean qoutes

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-kean-20-damning-quotes-823871

"
Steve on November 22nd: “Yes, there have been discussions about a new contract, but I have told the owners that this is an inappropriate time to conclude any new contract discussions. Instead, the real issue is for me and everyone else to concentrate on the games.”

Gordon says: Steve signed a new contract on November 25th.

Steve said: “There is no way Chris Samba is leaving this football club. I've spoken to the owners and that's the end of the matter.”

Gordon says: Samba left two weeks later.

Steve on Ryan Nelsen: “He's in a bad way. I've just been to see him. He's in traction. We need experienced players in the team and I can't wait to get him back, but I doubt he'll be let out before the end of the season."

Gordon says: Four days later Nelsen made his debut for Spurs.

"
It's like Said and Done, dedicated entirely to Steve Kean...

dc89

The Premier League has ordered winners’ medals for both Roberto Mancini and Sir Alex Ferguson – but only one boss will ever see theirs. As part of the preparations for Sunday’s finale, when either City or United will be crowned champions, the Premier League have commissioned two sets of nine-carat gold medals, only one of which will ever be used.

They are also planning ticker-tape presentation ceremonies at the Etihad Stadium, where City play QPR, and the Stadium of Light, where United face Sunderland. Identical podiums and firework displays will be dispatched to Manchester and Sunderland in an operation the Premier League have revealed will take ‘military precision’ to pull off. But they are keeping the rest of their plans top secret.

There will a trophy at the Etihad Stadium and the Stadium of Light – either the Champions trophy, currently in the care of United, or a replica owned by sponsors Barclays – but the league are remaining tight-lipped over where the real trophy will be.

If City match United’s result on Sunday, it will be the first time the Premier League has been decided on goal difference. United, meanwhile, will be forced to ask for special dispensation to allow club captain Nemanja Vidic to receive a medal should they win the league because he hasn’t made the required 10 appearances.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...-in-title-race-for-the-premier-league?rss=yes

:(:(

GorillaJu

geez i dunno a team that wins the premiership is generally big*

assuming they win

Just like Chelsea was a big club when they won their first PL title under Roman?

Come on, now.

Winning a title proves nothing except that you're a good team. It doesn't suddenly make your club "big." Schalke 04 is a bigger club than Manchester City.

neoanarch

That's why it was a little embarrassing, really, to hear all the "Manchester derby one of the biggest games in the world" chat. I don't give a toss how many cameras were at the ground. It's just not.

From a purely viewership and in the calendar year point of view, of curse it was. Name 3 bigger games.

Salazar

From a purely viewership and in the calendar year point of view, of curse it was.

I would not dispute its magnitude as a television event. But that game has mattered only in a parochial sense for so long. This year it was important in an increased and expanded sense, but it takes more than that, longer than that, for a derby or even a fixture in general to mean something like the ones pappe mentions below.

pappe

From a purely viewership and in the calendar year point of view, of curse it was. Name 3 bigger games.

2 El Classico's

UCL Semis and UCL Finals

Inter Vs Milan , Juve Vs Milan & Juve Vs Inter.

United Vs Liverpool

Simply coz there is soooo much history and bad blood between these sides that the Manchester Derby cant match upto it. The Manchester Derby has been of any significance since last season only.

PaulLFC

In those senses, yes. But not in the sense of a huge game that people look forward to every season no matter what happens, for example in the Premier League, Liverpool v Man United. Taken as just a list of fixtures, that is a far bigger game than the Manchester derby.

choodi

Banned
I really hate this stupid fixation that the football world has with the word "big".

Until someone gives me a clear definition of what a "big" club or a "big" game is, then I will just dismiss that concept as a "mine's bigger than your's" type argument.

In football there is only two things to worry about, winning and losing. If you are losing, who gives a flying fuck if you are a "bigger" club. Means fuck all and doesn't win you anything.

Way back when the Premier League was formed, Aston Villa were one of the "big" clubs. Nice to see that has got them somewhere...

Blablurn

Also being in two CL finals in three seasons is a big thing. Our team is in the top3 of the world, and all our important players have a long team contract... money obviously plays a part in this, but still Man City and Real Madrid (and Barcelona, I guess) pay a lot more than us.

its a fucking big thing indeed. didnt expect that some years ago!! happy birthday btw, hope u have a nice day, mate :)

Carbonox

What a silly thing to post just as we edge closer to the Summer Transfer Circus.

It won't be a circus if you buy Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote from us. In-fact, you will win the league next season. Do it. You know you want to.

Doesn't this look sexy?

Valencia - Tiote - Cabaye - Nani
--------------Rooney--------------
---------------Cisse---------------

I can smell your jizz from here.

Would turn me on.

Yeah.

neoanarch

I don't understand how 'history' comes into the equation. The derby was one of the biggest games of the season. Not 'arguably' but in actuality one of the biggest. Breaking records in both the UK and the US.

pappe

It won't be a circus if you buy Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote from us. In-fact, you will win the league next season. Do it. You know you want to.

Doesn't this look sexy?

Valencia - Tiote - Cabaye - Nani
--------------Rooney--------------
---------------Cisse---------------

I can smell your jizz from here.

Would turn me on.

Yeah.

We Will buy Tiote for 50 million pounds.

pappe

I don't understand how 'history' comes into the equation. The derby was one of the biggest games of the season. Not 'arguably' but in actuality one of the biggest. Breaking records in both the UK and the US.

O you mean from a financial perspective, then yes it was bigger than those mentioned. But from historical and Emotional point of view the Manchester Derby cannot touch those games.

Choc

Banned
someone please tell me what Kean gets by staying there

when the owners turned and started doing stupid shit, he should have resigned and said the owners are doing stupid shit

would have won him applause

edit:
Steve said: “David’s always been put on a par with a young Rooney and he can certainly score all types of goals… It’s not just nice tap-ins, he can create a goal for himself, score from outside the box, chip them in, pass them in, smash them in."

Gordon says: A young Mickey Rooney? David Goodwillie has scored two league goals this season.

Steve

to be fair he was pretty good in the SPL

if it wasn't so sad, it would be hillarious

Steve said: “Our break in Dubai went really well. From a medical point of view I have been told vitamin D levels were very high in the lads when they come back due to the sunshine.”

Gordon says: So basically they just topped up their tans?

pappe

when the owners turned and started doing stupid shit, he should have resigned and said the owners are doing stupid shit

$$$$$$$$. His kids and his kids kids wont have to work now. He would have earned that much.

Ashes

Banned
Football history is slow to change, but sometimes football fans can get stuck in the past. Liverpool aren't a top 4 side, and this year, the Manchester derby was bigger than the Manchester v Liverpool match. I don't even remember the score in the Liverpool matches. ;(*

Without consciously mulling over it, I'd say the Utd v Liverpool match is bigger, but in reality, going forwards, I can see more global significance being focused on the Manchester derby.

Winning one title doesn't make you a big club, see blackburn, who unfortunately got relegated this season. But city's situation is different, they have hit the jackpot.

Liverpool fc v man utd is pretty much league winners based, and there's around 40 between them, so there is plenty of history. However, It's been a couple of a decades since Liverpool last won the league. But then again, I suppose I would look down on Lfc, wouldn't I? Ahem. :D
So take what I say with a pinch of salt, if I'm honest. :p

*alright that's not exactly true, but it was big for all the wrong reasons.

Bumhead

Banned

Well, there are rumours that suggest him being there has nothing to do with football anyway, so there's arguably no reason for him to leave just because of a relegation.

Choc

Banned
someone tell me under the rules of the PL if there was evidence that came to light that Venkys tasked steve with taking blackburn down to the Championship but make it look like they are fighting

can the premier league call the club into disrepute?

choodi

Banned
Football history is slow to change, but sometimes football fans can get stuck in the past. Liverpool aren't a top 4 side, and this year, the Manchester derby was bigger than the Manchester v Liverpool match. I don't even remember the score.;(

Without consciously thinking it, I'd say the utd v Liverpool match is bigger, but in reality, going forwards, I can see more global significance being focused on the Manchester derby.

Winning one title doesn't make you a big club, see blackburn, who unfortunately got relegated this season. But city's situation is different, they have hit the jackpot.

Liverpool fc v man utd is pretty much league winners based, and there's around 40 between them, so there is plenty of history. However, It's been a couple of a decades since Liverpool last won the league. but then again, I suppose I would look down Lfc, wouldn't I? Ahem. :D
So take what I say with a pinch of salt, if I'm honest. :p

Spot on

Fry

Salazar, how popular has been The Avengers over there? Isn't Chris Hemsworth (Thor) australian?

He's the most popular actor in IMDb right now.

Ashes

Banned
Gutted. Dirk Kuyt getting on the end of a long ball is a sadistic way to go down.

We are stuck in the past though. The 80s were a long time ago. It (the rivalry) will still be an instinctive thing for me, I doubt that will change in our lifetime. Regardless of whether we are relegated or they finish outside the top 10.

Fady K

Thanks Fady ;)

You're welcome man :) I wish you guys the best in the Italian cup final.

@dancrehan on twitter.

All opinion is that of MCFC and not of my own.

Haha, this made me laugh ;D

Why is Turnbull playing? Chelsea are putting all their eggs in the beating Bayern basket. It's going to happen isn't it :(

Why would it :(? Coming off this shitty performance against Liverpool (did I say shitty? I meant SHITTIEST performance, doesn't exactly give confidence to the team. And at the Allianz Arena too...

JT has been horrendous. We have been horrendous. How do the incredibly average Liverpool always turn up against us? Aw well.

I was surprised by how bad Chelsea was. Liverpool took their chances, and credit to them. But, to be honest, Chelsea made it SO EASY! Look at the first goal! Romeu passed to a Liverpool player, and Terry did nothing, he let Suarez run through him SO easily. Look at the second goal, there was no danger at all yet Terry slipped and let HENDERSON score (good finish though!), and then the third - Turnbull was horrendous and Terry did not even bother to JUMP, lazy, lazy, lazy. And then the fourth was the best gift of all, a horrible clearance by Turnbull and Shelvey gets on the scoreline. Sure, Liverpool took their chances like every good team should, but Chelsea were not doing jack. Fully deserved loss for a pathetic display.

Damn, why didn't Liverpool play like this for the final? They've been great tonight.

No offense to Liverpool fans, but anyone can be great when the opposition plays as shitty as Chelsea did. ALL four goals were Chelsea's fault.

As much as I couldn't care about this game or the result, the side we put out tonight should of at least put in some effort.

I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a complete joke of a performance.

Yurt is good but lacks the raw passion of a massive fady multiquote. You can tell fady spends alot of time on what he posts.

Fady for poster of the season.

I don't deserve poster of the season due to my inconsistencies and all of a sudden large chunks of multiquotes that are too big for people to skim through :'( You are one of the best by far. dc89. Fry. Yurt. FootballFan. AwesomeAnimals. Jeff. Meier. Woodenlung. Blablurn. Sunhi, and many, many, many more I'm sure so don't think I left any one of you out! Soooooooo many of you guys rock and make this place very awesome.

Fady/Jeff should get the award.

If anything Jeff should get the award for the "Best Composure" after what his team went through this season. Very strong.

Fady has been too inconsistent for me. Started well but faded big time. He got back to form at the end of the season but it's too late in my eyes.

Fady = David Silva

Ah, best troll post.

I have definitely been inconsistent :p That's probably because life is quite inconsistent for me at the moment, so it matches my style :p

I need something to cheer about but it would be undeserved, my votes would have been for fady or Mastadon possibly but they have been slacking recently.

Life has been draining me man :[ I had more energy and passion at the start/mid season, hence the quality and frequency of my posts have been lacking.

Remember when Fady didn't multipost? He was always light years ahead of the pack in amount of posts because he would reply to each point separately!

I used to be a title contender. Those were the days.

Vivalaraza, Fady, Sunhi and Yurt are the best.
(But barca-gaf is the best best)

doicare and lunchbox are also up there
with the worst posters on gaf :p

<3 FootballFan :) Lunchbox is the funniest troll in footygaf by far :p

Anyway you can't vote for Fady seeing as we know you are Fady! If not the real Fady then some sort of fake Fady, all the other fake fadys are just imitating. So won't the real fake Fady please stand up.

I think I shall call you Western Fady!

I really should sleep

Eastern Fady here! If only FootballFan was partly a Chelsea fan as well, the ritual would have been completed.

We should let Fady do the awards, they'd be genuine

Poster awards you mean?

Yeah, I miss being the top poster next to Fady. I rather he posted constantly rather than drop by eventually with huge posts.

And stopped using avatars of Manchester United players/managers :p

Those were the days Fry :'(! I'd rather post in shorter more frequent bursts too. I look forward to more of that soon, with more fitting avatars as well :]

Remember that time when he tried to tackle De Jongs foot with his chest? Classless.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

Thanks, Fry!

Happy bday bro!

Fry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom