• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

Coz my best mates dad got stabbed when we were playing them a couple of years ago & we got chased through town last time I was there over a pack of fucking cigarettes. And in general they are a wankstain of a club.

The big one is definitely cos they sold us Craig Gardner, though.

This story is very common. One of the Guardian podcasters mentioned the only time he has been genuinely scared is when he got into a semi fight with Birmingham City fans looking for trouble.

They really have a bunch of thugs in their fan base, much more than the average.

I have been threatened too as a kid going home on the train, but to be fair I was in my Villa scarf so thats fair game :)

Bumhead

Banned
I've only ever been to Birmingham once but will never, ever be going there again. We were penned in behind a load of fencing while a good number of Birmingham supporters launched bits of brickwork and rocks at our fans when I went, seemingly unopposed.

I've experienced trouble at a few grounds - it always kicks off when we go to Elland Road, too - but Birmingham is honestly the only ground in the country other than Bramall Lane where I will never step foot in until I die. Horrible ground, horrible supporters.

Daily Mail's top 10 signings of the season...

10. Yakubu
9. Demba Ba
8. Ashley Young
7. Anthony Pilkington
6. Scott Parker
5. Yohan Cabaye
4. Michel Vorm
3. Papiss Cisse
2. Juan Mata
1. Sergio Aguero
Demba Ba and Yakubu should be in the top 5. How can Ashley Young be ahead of them :lol

Noirulus

I thought for sure that Madrid would've bought Falcao last year when they were in the market for a clinical striker. I watched Falcao beast it up with FC Porto and was certain that he would be one of the biggest signings in europe.

But no, it didn't seem like many big clubs gave much of a fight in signing him. Total surprise seeing him go to Atletico (although the transfer fee was quite hefty).

Great to see him being recognized for the talent that he is with his new club. Don't think he'll move from there anytime soon seeing as how not many clubs are in the market for a 50M+ striker.

elsk

Banned
RMadrid, Man City, PSG, Chelsea they could all put the 60M for Falcao.
If Atlético Madrid doesn't qualify for CL, I'm pretty they'll have to sell Falcao.

Omikron

Previous results from this season:

WHU 4 - 0 Blackpool
Blackpool 1 - 4 WHU

Scarily confident. Only West Ham could fuck this up.

Noirulus

RMadrid, Man City, PSG, Chelsea they could all put the 60M for Falcao.
If Atlético Madrid doesn't qualify for CL, I'm pretty they'll have to sell Falcao.

I can see PSG giving him a big offer. Manchester City as well I think. Mourinho already said that Benzema and Higuain will be the strikers for next season so Madrid is out, and i'm not sure Chelsea would bid on him without unloading Torres somehow.

Clegg

Who's the flop signing of the season?

I would have said Nasri but he's been decent for the last month or two.

There must be someone out there who has been completely useless for the whole season at his new club.

Will Falcao really leave Atletico after just one season? Moving there was too much of a sideways move from him IMO. What an incredible player though. Atleti reinvested the Aguero transfer money very well.

Who's the flop signing of the season?

I would have said Nasri but he's been decent for the last month or two.

There must be someone out there who has been completely useless for the whole season at his new club.
I'm not sure I'd call him a "flop" but Arsenal signed Park Chu Yung and then hardly ever played him.

The flop of the season has to be Downing. £20m. Wow. Many Liverpool fans thought he'd do better than Young aswell.

Daglish reckons he's better than he ever expected him to be :lolololol

Clegg

Will Falcao really leave Atletico after just one season? Moving there was too much of a sideways move from him IMO. What an incredible player though. Atleti reinvested the Aguero transfer money very well.

I'm not sure I'd call him a "flop" but Arsenal signed Park Chu Yung and then hardly ever played him.

The flop of the season has to be Downing. £20m. Wow. Many Liverpool fans thought he'd do better than Young aswell.

Daglish reckons he's better than he ever expected him to be :lolololol

I'd forgotten about Downing.

The player that has one goal and one assist less than Tim Howard.

rar

Daily Mail's top 10 signings of the season...

10. Yakubu
9. Demba Ba
8. Ashley Young
7. Anthony Pilkington
6. Scott Parker
5. Yohan Cabaye
4. Michel Vorm
3. Papiss Cisse
2. Juan Mata
1. Sergio Aguero

this list is missing Mikel Arteta, carried our midfield all season

vall03

this list is missing Mikel Arteta, carried our midfield all season

yup, he surprisingly did well for us. I didn't like him at first but ended being the best of our recent signings. Our worst signing on the other hand is Santos, such a waste...

Yen

You guys should move to Ireland. We've had one week of good weather this year, in April. Its been non stop rain for the last 3 weeks and if we're lucky temperatures may scrape to 15 degrees celcius for a few days in July. Then it'll start raining again.

Absolutely fine up North(-West). No rain, warm-ish most the time.

Clegg

Remember when Kanoute accused Fabregas of racially abusing him?

It was a big deal for a few hours. Then everyone forgot about it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You're going to get a third star on your shirt next season? We got one since last season, feels good man.

ZeKS5.jpg

AlexBasch

I see Messi is allegedly a racist now. Ugh, this is getting boring. Race rows are old hat now.
Maybe it's because it's Drenthe but I find that hard to believe. I mean, why throw that all of a sudden and not when it happened?

Yes yes, racism is bad and awful, etc, but I can't stand Drenthe.

Wessiej

Have you read that article on Elia yesterday on ad.nl? Wanted to post it here but I was too lazy to translate it.

Yeah read it in the newspaper yesterday, it was so sad. Hope he comes to Ajax or whatever German club that wants him.

I love Elia, especially because he was born 5 streets from my house. Great footballer.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FEMEXFUT ‏ @FEMEXFUTOFICIAL
Carlos Vela pidió a título personal y profesional que no se le convoque a ninguna de las Selecciones: Héctor González.

Well fuck you too buddy. :mad:

Alex Ferguson negó la participación de Javier Hernández en los Juegos Olímpicos: Héctor González

NOOOOOOOOOOO D:

AlexBasch

Carlos Vela pidió a título personal y profesional que no se le convoque a ninguna de las Selecciones: Héctor González.

Alex Ferguson negó la participación de Javier Hernández en los Juegos Olímpicos: Héctor González

NOOOOOOOOOOO D:
I dunno, the more away he is from Mexico the best I suppose, I see him more of a club player than a national squad one. Hopefully Oribe Peralta will be called up to destroy kiddies again? :D

And why don't you line him up more often Fergie? Goddammit.

Maybe it's because it's Drenthe but I find that hard to believe. I mean, why throw that all of a sudden and not when it happened?

Yes yes, racism is bad and awful, etc, but I can't stand Drenthe.

Messi doesn't really seem the type of person that would racially abuse someone.

And I've heard that Drenthe is a bit of a strange character.
Yeah I really can't see it myself. God knows why it's being brought up now.

NOOOOOOOOOOO D:
That's a shame. I can see why Fergie has said no because we will need Hernandez, especially if Berbatov leaves, so he'll need the rest and pre-season prep...but would have been very nice for him to play at the Olympics.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I dunno, the more away he is from Mexico the best I suppose, I see him more of a club player than a national squad one. Hopefully Oribe Peralta will be called up to destroy kiddies again? :D

And why don't you line him up more often Fergie? Goddammit.
I'm not that sad about Chicharito staying at United. Injuries and lack of pre-season last year fucked him up in the long run. Not to mention that we have Confederations Cup next year so it will be a while until he gets vacations.

Vela can go fuck himself for all I care. World Cup qualifiers start next month. I don't care that we are playing against third-rate teams like Guyana, you better show up there if you are called. What a fucking twat.

Clegg

Hernandez hasn't been playing too well this season, thats why Fergie hasn't picked him to start matches.

His first touch has been appalling and his link up play with the rest of the team has been pretty poor too. He needs to be rested this summer. Playing in the Olympics won't do him any favours. He had no real rest last summer and it seems to have had a detrimental affect on his game this season.

AlexBasch

Hernandez hasn't been playing too well this season, thats why Fergie hasn't picked him to start matches.

His first touch has been appalling and his link up play with the rest of the team has been pretty poor too. He needs to be rested this summer. Playing in the Olympics won't do him any favours. He had no real rest last summer and it seems to have had a detrimental affect on his game this season.

That's a shame. I can see why Fergie has said no because we will need Hernandez, especially if Berbatov leaves, so he'll need the rest and pre-season prep...but would have been very nice for him to play at the Olympics.
Well yes, this makes sense. Then again, Mexico has enough Sub-23 to cover for him.

...yeah, right. :p

I'd like to see him back on shape, but seeing all those chances he missed at Swansea makes me think that he should do more pre-season and rest a bit. I suppose this was the effect of my Chicharito+Man U fanboyism, haha.

I'm not that sad about Chicharito staying at United. Injuries and lack of pre-season last year fucked him up in the long run. Not to mention that we have Confederations Cup next year so it will be a while until he gets vacations.

Vela can go fuck himself for all I care. World Cup qualifiers start next month. I don't care that we are playing against third-rate teams like Guyana, you better show up there if you are called. What a fucking twat.
Next year? My, time sure flies. I'd like to see him there instead of Olympics to be honest.

Don't care too much about Vela actually, I'm kinda impressed at the stuff he's making at Real Sociedad but surely there are better players than him to be called, if he doesn't want to play with our squad then it's his loss, he'll regret it...or not. Meh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Don't care too much about Vela actually, I'm kinda impressed at the stuff he's making at Real Sociedad but surely there are better players than him to be called
The only one that I can think of is Andrés Guardado. Vela is one of our most skillful players out there. The problem is he's a Balotelli type of player. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom