• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian have got their seasonal awards page up: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/premier-league-2011-12-review-of-the-season

In all those categories:

Player Of The Season - very strong case for van Persie, strong cases for Cabaye, Rooney, Dempsey, Aguero, Kompany, Krul, Coloccini, Valencia, Silva, Ba, Holt, Allen... but probably just ahead of RvP, my vote would be Yaya Toure. In a team full of match winners he's probably City's best. They would have won the title a month ago if he hadn't gone to the ACN.

Pundit Of The Season - easy decision, Gary Neville.

Manager Of The Season - SAF has done well, Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert also, but resounding winner is Alan Pardew.

Goal Of The Season - wouldn't be surprised to see Cisse or Ben Arfa win this, but for me personally it was Nani's first in the Community Shield.

Match Of The Season - I didn't actually see 8-2 because I was at Reading, but for sheer entertainment Chelsea 3-5 Arsenal.

Signing Of The Season - De Gea, Arteta, Sigurdsson, Aguero, Ba, Vorm, Yakubu, Cisse, Morison, Mata, Jelavic, Friedel and even Scholes are all good shouts, but for me it's Yohan Cabaye.

Flop Of The Season - no doubt it's Stewart Downing, but Roger Johnson's been disgraceful as well.

League Of The Season - I primarily watch PL, and la Liga and Bundesliga have been fun for me, but personally I've really enjoyed Serie A this season. Sorry Kermit.

3 guys with the same name, jeez :D Your name is probably also Poulsen. Yeah I was talking about Simon.

The English commentators were pretty annoying at the world cup. Said "Poulsen, to Poulsen to Poulsen to Poulsen to Poulsen" even when it wasn't Poulsen.

He said he prefers a better league than the Dutch Eredivisie.

He should be happy with what he can get. Simon Poulsen is pretty shitty.

Fady K

I try not to think about it.......

:(

I do wonder what will become of Di Matteo though. It increasingly appears like Chelsea's board has a replacement in mind already based on how tight lipped they are?

Prometheus advert.

*swoon*

It's an honor to have a new SCI-FI movie by Ridley. 3 decades ago was when he directed his last one wasn't it?

ghK1c.jpg

k8flu.gif
k8flu.gif
k8flu.gif
k8flu.gif
k8flu.gif
k8flu.gif

This guy doesn't age! Heck, he looks like a school boy till now :p

I feel sorry for the Athletic players :(

Congrats to Atletico de Madrid fans.

Was hoping for a Bilbao win! But they were capable of much more than yesterday's performance :( It sucked seeing all the players and fans crying.

eeZYu.jpg

Talking tactics or a telling off?

GAF decides

Balo doesn't look so bad by the way, but my God, the hair's gotta change :p

Partly you say ? Fady Barca supporter confirmed, Chelsea 2nd.

:eek:

Haha you know what I mean :p Your fady megaposts are awesome man : D

And yes, that girl is so pretty!

Well, Heitinga is a cock, Young is a wanker, Lamps is past it, Cole is a fucker, I don't care about Gerrard, Balotelli shouldn't be picked, Nasri and Malouda are junk, Bendtner is nobody's idea of a meaningful footballer.

It's basically painful how uninspiring that England shirt is.

Lamps sucks at times, I know. But he's been pivotal in many games this season, I was pleasantly surprised. Without him Chelsea would have not made it this far this season. Another player that improved a lot after the AVB-era ended IMO.

Had a look at the new Chelsea kit in person today. Not too bothered about it. Thought the pictures looked great but in real life it's meh.

What??? That sucks :/!! It looks great in the photos :( I was really looking forward to picking mine up soon.

What about any young players from the Youth squad or reserves. Any promising up and coming players?

Well, Paloschi Strasser are a couple of our youths that played in smaller teams the last few years. Plus there is Merkel, which may leave us next summer. Other than those three, I don't see any other player ready for Serie A: some of them are definitely promising, but I think it's best for them if they play a couple of years in another team. De Sciglio (LB) played a couple of games with the big guys this season and he did kinda good, Donnarumma (GK) had a nice season in Serie B, Carmona (still in our youth squad and probably the best one of them) still has a lot to do to get in our formation.

Salazar

Please don't give me shit for believing this weekend, futbol-GAF.

I realise it's football, but things are slightly piss poor in the rest of my life and I'm going to hope.

Slizz

Please don't give me shit for believing this weekend, futbol-GAF.

I realise it's football, but things are slightly piss poor in the rest of my life and I'm going to hope.

I still believe too, no sense in giving up 1 or 2 weeks before the season ends. Ride it out to the end.

Well, Paloschi Strasser are a couple of our youths that played in smaller teams the last few years. Plus there is Merkel, which may leave us next summer. Other than those three, I don't see any other player ready for Serie A: some of them are definitely promising, but I think it's best for them if they play a couple of years in another team. De Sciglio (LB) played a couple of games with the big guys this season and he did kinda good, Donnarumma (GK) had a nice season in Serie B, Carmona (still in our youth squad and probably the best one of them) still has a lot to do to get in our formation.

Hmm...Next year sounds like it could be rough for Milan-GAF

Hmm...Next year sounds like it could be rough for Milan-GAF

It has been pretty much the same for the last 10 years. Berlusconi invests a lot when there are elections/something related to politics in Italy so that he could get some votes, while during the other years he tries to save as much as he can.

Good choices man! I'm bored so I did mine...

Player Of The Season - Also gotta go with Yaya here, without him City have looked like a different team to the one that plays when he is in the starting 11. If it wasn't for the ACN City wouldn't have had 8 points to make up over United.

Pundit Of The Season - Yeah, Neville. Nevgasm was one of the highlights of what has been a pretty boring Champions League.

Manager Of The Season - Pardew. Brilliant signings, great results consistently throughout the entire season when people wrote us off and said we'd eventually drop away from the top 6. Honerable mentions to Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert.

Goal Of The Season - Cisse's second against Chelsea. I havn't seen anything like it. Newcastle have scored some fucking screamers this season, Ben Arfa's against Blackburn in the FA Cup is a close second, it's a real shame the one against Bolton is the one people talk about. Crouch's in third.

Match Of The Season - Been some incredible games this season but I've gotta go with the Chelsea 3 - 5 Arsenal too. Blackburn 2 - 3 Liverpool is seconds for me, that was such a great game to watch and just laugh at both teams. You couldn't have written a script better for it if you tried.

Signing Of The Season - Aguero for me. 22 goals in his first season, he has been a real treat to watch, such a brilliantly gifted player. He seems like a nice guy as well which is always good to see when there's so many cunts about.

Flop Of The Season - Well it without a doubt has to be Tom Cleverly. Mediocre performances, runs like a fucking idio......ok I keeeeeeeeeeeeed. Downing. He's been awful. Carroll and Torres are lucky they have started to come (relatively) good in the past couple of months. Downing has been constantly awful.

League Of The Season - Premiership. So many twists and turns, it's going down to the last day to decide the title, the CL places and the final relegation places. Can't beat it. Honerable mention to the Europa League, been great to watch this season. Better than the CL to watch IMO. If Newcastle's fate is to play there next season then fine...it's a great competition and I hope we treat it with the respect it deserves.

I wouldn't dream of disputing that United's wealth keeps it up there. It just seems fatuous to ignore (even provisionally) the questions of where the money comes from and over what period and on what kinds of players (at what stage of their careers, for example) it gets spent. If United had been suddenly flooded with external money and we'd shopped over an exceedingly brief period with that money for pretty much a whole squad to compete for the league, I'd see a parallel. Saying that "well, United are rich too, and that helps them" is a vaguely childlike grade of argument.

I wouldn't get carried away about "buying the league" stuff - principally because it bores me, and because we shouldn't have let those points slip. And because City have played pretty well and (lol Nasri) shown heart at various stages. But it is slightly more than a glib talking point, and it can't be extended to hold for other clubs - except Chelsea.
Net spend is also something which gets over-looked. Gross spending suggests you a lot about the raw financial muscle of a club but the net spend is a better measure of how a club is trading in the transfer market. United's net spend over the last few years is quite low, close to £7/8m per season I think; and that's taking into account the purchase of Berbatov, De Gea, Young, Anderson, Nani...all buys over £15m.

It's really depressing to think our outlay is so low when the club returns a profit of over £100m each year.

I also don't understand why the wage bill is so commonly overlooked in football. What you can pay people to bring them to and keep them at a workplace is vital.

In general there is a gap of knowledge regarding finance in football. At the clubs themselves, at the way it's managed by the associations and FIFA and the fact that football fans have close to zero appreciation for it. It will begin to change soon because the current rates of spending are not sustainable.

Wilbur

Banned
THANK YOU!

Agreed. The reason City can buy players isn't because they can afford the one off 30m payment, it's because they can afford the consistent outlay on wages.

Reading World Soccer's Euro 2012 preview as apparently Bilic will be leaving after it because of a massive shake up in the Croatian FA. Villa should take a punt.

i thought it was alright so far

Hahaha I bet :D

It's been fine but I just havn't been that bothered by it this season. Probably because of most of the English clubs going out so early.

Can't wait for the final though. Who the CL spots go to in the PL will affect who I want to win though...

Scum

Bloody hell! I missed out on a lot, thanks to late finishes at work! :-/
Sounds like it was quite the game between Madrid and Bilbao last night. Europa League footie needs more recognition.

This month's edition of World Soccer is awesome. Time to read more about Germany's prospects. :p

GorillaJu

Net spend is also something which gets over-looked. Gross spending suggests you a lot about the raw financial muscle of a club but the net spend is a better measure of how a club is trading in the transfer market. United's net spend over the last few years is quite low, close to £7/8m per season I think; and that's taking into account the purchase of Berbatov, De Gea, Young, Anderson, Nani...all buys over £15m.

It's really depressing to think our outlay is so low when the club returns a profit of over £100m each year.

I also don't understand why the wage bill is so commonly overlooked in football. What you can pay people to bring them to and keep them at a workplace is vital.

In general there is a gap of knowledge regarding finance in football. At the clubs themselves, at the way it's managed by the associations and FIFA and the fact that football fans have close to zero appreciation for it. It will begin to change soon because the current rates of spending are not sustainable.

It's just as important a part of a transfer as the fee itself. I was actually told by Kermit that wages don't matter and shouldn't be taken into consideration for the cost of a player.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
" Addio, Alessandro Nesta. Empty your back pockets on the way out. Some quality strikers in there! "

cHl2N.gif

Agreed. The reason City can buy players isn't because they can afford the one off 30m payment, it's because they can afford the consistent outlay on wages.
It gets more interesting when you go down the league.

Spurs for example have a wage bill which is probably close to £40m/£50m less than Arsenal's, yet recently they have been doing just as well. It was a similar gap back when Arsenal were still winning stuff. Something obviously changed there, but it hasn't just been Spurs' paying more, because by and large they haven't. It shows you can develop your club without just pumping money into it. Of course Spurs do spend a fair bit on players, but they've also sold well and they've kept the running costs at the club in control, that's crucial.

Another good example is Aston Villa, a club who's wage bill is so much higher than the return is gives on the pitch. I think this is what FSG have realised and why they made strides to control Liverpool's wage bill this season and I think they'll continue to keep the finances under strict guidelines. Spending has to be matched by on field improvements, otherwise it's just spending for spending sake. Last summer will have taught them that. (Well I'm sure they already know it...but yeah, it didn't work out obv.)

In this sport you can't afford to just go out and pay massive wages beyond the means of the club because if it doesn't pay off you're going to get into big trouble. Only clubs like City and Chelsea can do that because somebody will be willing to write it off. That safety net makes a massive difference because is determines how you can plan to recruit. City can afford to go and buy 6/7 strikers over the last 3 or so seasons and pay them all close to or over 100k. No other club can do that. When you're doing that there's a good chance some of your signings will come off.

Clubs like Arsenal and Spurs and now increasingly United can't afford to get transfers wrong. Berbatov is a good example, he was never worth the £30m and was probably close to £100k a week. That doesn't impact on just that summers transfer spending, it impacts on the club over the spell of his entire contract, because of the wages paid but also because it's a stark reminder of the risks the club faces when a signing goes wrong. United have spent big over the years but the spreading of that spending is really very important. If you have one shot at spending £30m every 2/3 years that is very very very different to buying 3 £30m players in one summer. It can't be dismissed as just making up for lost time. In a football sense sure it is, but financially that is completely different. When you think about it like that it doesn't really surprise me that Arsenal are so careful with their money. So what if they go out and spend £75m this summer and hand RVP a massive bumper pay-deal. They can afford it, but it doesn't guarantee any success and they could still finish 3rd next season with no trophies. You end up inflating the wage-bill because other players want a piece of the pie and there has effectively been no progress at the club.

That's before you even think about the tough decisions club down the league face. West Ham are paying more in wages than many PL clubs this season. If they don't get promoted I really don't know what they're going to do.

Ah, money in football, it's riveting stuff.

Fady K

Here are my votes:

Player Of The Season - Ashley Young/Wayne Rooney [tie]

Pundit Of The Season - Eric Cantona

Manager Of The Season - My avatar

Goal Of The Season - Lescott's goal against Tottenham at the Etihad

Match Of The Season - ManU 6 - 1 Man City

Signing Of The Season - Ashley Young

Flop Of The Season - Vincent Kompany

League Of The Season - Chinese Superleague

Seems like we offered Kuba a new contract. I hope he signs it, we need him when Shinji leaves.

Is it guaranteed that he's leaving? He hasn't fully decided yet has he?

Chelsea made the CL interesting imo.

Agreed. They made it surprising.

Blackhead

Redarse
It gets more interesting when you go down the league.

Spurs for example have a wage bill which is probably close to £40m/£50m less than Arsenal's, yet recently they have been doing just as well. It was a similar gap back when Arsenal were still winning stuff. Something obviously changed there, but it hasn't just been Spurs' paying more, because by and large they haven't. It shows you can develop your club without just pumping money into it. Of course Spurs do spend a fair bit on players, but they've also sold well and they've kept the running costs at the club in control, that's crucial.

Another good example is Aston Villa, a club who's wage bill is so much higher than the return is gives on the pitch. I think this is what FSG have realised and why they made strides to control Liverpool's wage bill this season and I think they'll continue to keep the finances under strict guidelines.

In this sport you can't afford to just go out and pay massive wages beyond the means of the club because if it doesn't pay off you're going to get into big trouble. Only clubs like City and Chelsea can do that because somebody will be willing to write it off. That safety net makes a massive difference because is determines how you can plan to recruit. City can afford to go and buy 6/7 strikers over the last 3 or so seasons and pay them all close to or over 100k. No other club can do that. When you're doing that there's a good chance some of your signings will come off.

Clubs like Arsenal and Spurs and now increasingly United can't afford to get transfers wrong. Berbatov is a good example, he was never worth the £30m and was probably close to £100k a week. That doesn't impact on just that summers transfer spending, it impacts on the club over the spell of his entire contract, because of the wages paid but also because it's a stark reminder of the risks the club faces when a signing goes wrong. When you think about it like that it doesn't really surprise me that Arsenal are so careful with their money. So what if they go out and spend £75m this summer and hand RVP a massive bumper pay-deal. They can afford it, but it doesn't guarantee any success and they could still finish 3rd next season with no trophies. You end up inflating the wage-bill because other players want a piece of the pie and there has effectively been no progress at the club.

That's before you even think about the tough decisions club down the league face. West Ham are paying more in wages than many PL clubs this season. If they don't get promoted I really don't know what they're going to do.

Ah, money in football, it's riveting stuff.

Arsenal's strategy is just as risky imo. They are overpaying for all these youngsters, giving them large contracts on the basis that they come good and stay with the club for some glory years. Uh, didn't happen. Then they can't move the players off their books because nobody wants them. Torres might have cost millions and flopped but at least Chelsea sold a fuck load of t-shirts with his name on it and got good sponsorship revenue. Can't say the same about Denilson at Arsenal.

p.s. I'm guessing everybody knows about Swiss Ramble already but just in case:
http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

Scum

Here are my votes:

Player Of The Season - Ashley Young/Wayne Rooney [tie]

Pundit Of The Season - Eric Cantona

Manager Of The Season - My avatar

Goal Of The Season - Lescott's goal against Tottenham at the Etihad

Match Of The Season - ManU 6 - 1 Man City

Signing Of The Season - Ashley Young

Flop Of The Season - Vincent Kompany

League Of The Season - Chinese Superleague
5YRcF.gif

Arsenal's strategy is just as risky imo. They are overpaying for all these youngsters, giving them large contracts on the basis that they come good and stay with the club for some glory years. Uh, didn't happen. Then they can't move the players off their books because nobody wants them. Torres might have cost millions and flopped but at least Chelsea sold a fuck load of t-shirts with his name on it and got good sponsorship revenue. Can't say the same about Denilson at Arsenal.

p.s. I'm guessing everybody knows about Swiss Ramble already but just in case:
http://swissramble.blogspot.com/
I agree Arsenal's strategy is risky also, they're wage bill is way too narrow. For a long time they were safe in the CL with that business model, now that isn't going to be the case so they will probably have to look to move away from it.

I don't agree it's as risky as spending a crazy amount of money though. That drains the clubs finances alot quicker and it can take you to the point of no return, look at Leeds United. If Arsenal finish out of the CL for a few seasons they will definitely face problems but they will still have a healthy bank balance. Torres will have sold more shirts than Denilson, sure, that might make up for the £100k disparity per week in the wages, but Chelsea still had to fork out a massive £50m on him which they will probably never recoup. It's fine for them, Roman pays for that, Arsenal only get one shot at that type of signing.

They do need to make some big signings I agree and expand their wage bill, they can't hold it off any longer...but being careful about it makes sense. I'm sure when they renew their sponsorship deals they'll be in a better position.

Hes in a meeting in England, but wont deny or confirm if its with us (Wolves)
Is he actually a good manager? never heard of him until today

He certainly was for us. As a club that had never broken into the European leagues he managed to get us in all the 5 seasons he was here. First year we got into CL (Knocked out Ajax in CL qual, beat Man utd and Celtic in group stage). 3 years of Europa League and closed his Copenhagen career off with getting through the group stage (beating Panathinaikos and Rubin Kazan. Drawing against Barcelona and pretty close to stealing one point at Nou Camp too).

He got a nice history with our club, died when he was a player on the training ground for Copenhagen, got CPR and managed to survive but had to stop his football career, came back a few years later as a manager and gave us all that success. Only missed one championship.

At times a bit crazy. When he's happy he's really happy.

iB8DLmYD9sC7U.gif

kLQ6S.jpg
hLHxo.jpg

But when he's pissed...

ig0WG4KAKDcqi.gif
ih4UQSL7TYQ9K.gif
isf3wR0fNsE3F.gif

Ii5g6.jpg
BpJxC.jpg

He also hit our assistant manager a few times during one match, the assistant manager left not long after that. They kept claiming that wasn't the reason but... Yeah... lol. Also has some amazing press conferences where he will talk shit and some journalists won't get the humor, like last year he reffered to Rubin Kazan defenders as "The fat one. The Ugly one and the woman (dude with long hair)" and took the piss out of Barca saying they wouldn't have a chance against us as Iniesta was missing.

Slizz

70$ for upper deck seats to see AC Milan and Chelsea play a friendly.......

Dunno if I'm gonna pull the trigger, gotta see how many friends won't flake and want to come...

faridmon

I like the fact that the media and some Footy-GAF forgets about Jalevich in their signing of the year nominees.

Well, Screw you people, he have been the most impactful lad on a single team. Aguero ,Cabaye, Cisse, etc, have the infrastructure that enabled them to play very well. Jalevich transformed the whole team.

Zabojnik

Looks like we're going after Udinese's Asamoah and Isla, but I'm sure we're not the only ones. Inter, at least, is likely to try too. Would be fantastic if we somehow managed to steal (meaning: pay no more than 30min€ despite Pozzo being Pozzo) both. But I'd be more than happy with Asamoah only. Amazing player, imo.

Slizz

Wow that's pretty fucked up lol, where is it? Surely they don't expect more than a few hundred who will bother seeing that.

Miami, in the Dolphins football stadium.

Barca set the record for attendance in the stadium I think until Wrestlemania with their friendly against Chivas like a year or so ago.

Wilbur

Banned
I like tye fact that the media and Footy-GAF forgets about Jalevich in thier signing of the year nominees.

Well, Screw you people, he have been the most impacful lad on a single team. Aguero , Cabaye, Cisse, etc, have the infrastructure that enabled them to play very well. Jalevich tramsformed the whole team.

Read my post dickweed

Hixx

I like tye fact that the media and Footy-GAF forgets about Jalevich in thier signing of the year nominees.

Well, Screw you people, he have been the most impacful lad on a single team. Aguero , Cabaye, Cisse, etc, have the infrastructure that enabled them to play very well. Jalevich tramsformed the whole team.

It's only 3pm and you're half-cut!?

Kyoufu

I like the fact that the media and some Footy-GAF forgets about Jalevich in their signing of the year nominees.

Well, Screw you people, he have been the most impactful lad on a single team. Aguero ,Cabaye, Cisse, etc, have the infrastructure that enabled them to play very well. Jalevich transformed the whole team.

Good signing but it's a classic case of nobody gives a fuck about Everton.

WJD

Who's Jalevich?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom