• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A bit late on this but Im pleased to see Juventus win. A team composed mainly of Italian players and an Italian manager. Correct me if Im wrong but appointing Conte as manager must have looked like a risky move at the time.

Man United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal I hope you all take note.

How the hell did I miss this post? THANKS DEFEL :D And you're not late, we're going to milk this all summer :D

I'll add on what Zabo said; his track record in B was great but his brief time in A with Atalanta was anything but.. so yeah, it WAS risky!

We're all glad he dropped his 4-2-4
5YRcF.gif

faridmon

Does anyone know a good German pub in London? I am planning to watch the DFB-Pokal this Saturday with some (Japanese mates who support Shinji Kagawa) and apart from the sports cafe, which I am not even sure if they are going to show the match, I don't know any other places that show international leagues.

anyone?

dc89

Our home kit gets revealed at midnight, I'm looking forward to it. I'm surprised there's been no leaks so far, there usually is with new kits but Warrior appear to be good at keeping things secret.

If rumours are to be believed we are going back to the Liverbird badge rather than the current crest, which would be great (this one):

hpf-kit-tease_4fa94b9538967204056522.jpg

All we have so far are photoshopped guesses, although this one is supposedly pretty close to the rumoured design:

pROgw.jpg

Nice design! A class shirt deserves a class performance to match it! I hope Liverpool don't fall in to the "all the gear but no idea" bracket.

'In response to many requests for information, we are told the new home shirt is provisionally due out first week in August.'

From Twitter :(

dc89

Gary Neville appears to have won his planning war with Manchester United – after town hall officers recommended his proposals for a hotel and supporters’ club opposite Old Trafford should be allowed.

The Reds legend, who made 400 appearances for the club, wants to create a 10-storey leisure and retail complex within the shadows of the stadium. But, as revealed in February, United bosses, who had originally backed the proposals, performed a U-turn and lodged a stinging five-page objection with Trafford council officials.

C_71_article_1493380_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

They claimed the development has insufficient parking and say that even if those issues were resolved, ‘MUFC shall continue to oppose and object to the proposed scheme’ due to its impact on the Old Trafford landscape, highway safety and ‘the club’s holistic vision for the continuing enhancement of the area surrounding the stadium’

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...-opposite-old-trafford-set-to-get-green-light

dc89

My United supporting friend on another forum says a blog called Stretford End say Glazers have set aside £140M for new signings for
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I don't follow NFL so I can't really say anything.

Wonder what he's going to be doing next season. Seems to good to ride the bench here.

He told Belgian medias he wants to stay on loan at Atletico. He's still learning, technically he's not very good right now, his reflexes are pretty great though. Doubt he's ready to replace Cech and doubt he'd be happy warming the bench.

My United supporting friend on another forum says a blog called Stretford End say Glazers have set aside £140M for new signings for
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

It's $140m and they've already spent it. Was spent in the NFL's free agency period.

It's Tampa Bay's own money so totally unrelated to MUFC.

dc89

It's $140m and they've already spent it. Was spent in the NFL's free agency period.

It's Tampa Bay's own money so totally unrelated to MUFC.

Thanks for clarifying! I can go back and tell him now :p

I'm pretty sure Manchester United generates more revenue than any NFL team.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Let Tampa Bay spend it's own profits, use United's to service debts. I'd be fizzing if I was at United.

ATF487

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

This is impossible, I think. The NFL salary cap is 120 million this season, which is significantly less than 140 million pounds. Also, there aren't transfer fees in American sports, really; sometimes you can get cash in addition to player/draft pick trades, but it's mostly negligible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs are more profitable than United, too. I know United will have more revenue, but NFL teams just print money. I'd have to look into the financial statements though.

edit: just saw what they did, it's 140m in player salaries over many years, not a current cash outlay

Let Tampa Bay spend it's own profits, use United's to service debts. I'd be fizzing if I was at United.
For a long time the Glazers haven't invested or helped the Bucs. They've been a really poor NFL team and have had fans turns against them.

This is the first time in a while the are actually investing in the team.

Meier

I'm the first to admit I know nothing about NFL. NOTHING!

United are profitable too though right?!

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_land.html -- good place to find out about the business side of the NFL. The Bucs had the 4th best operating income in 2010-2011 because the Glazers are CHEAP AS FUCK and we were about $30-40 million under the salary cap. The team is valued just under $1 billion although it's been higher in the past. They had the biggest decline in value (5%) of any team in the league during that period.

Each NFL team has revenue of at least $217 million and only two were unprofitable (Browns and Lions.. perennial bottom dwellers although the Lions are changing that).

But only because there's a profit sharing system in place.

There's no way that the Bucs are spending even half of £140m on NEW (draft picks, free agents) players. Because of the salary cap, that's impossible.
It's money spent on free agents over the course of a few years.

Edit - Beaten!

dc89

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_land.html -- good place to find out about the business side of the NFL. The Bucs had the 4th best operating income in 2010-2011 because the Glazers are CHEAP AS FUCK and we were about $30-40 million under the salary cap. The team is valued just under $1 billion although it's been higher in the past. They had the biggest decline in value (5%) of any team in the league during that period.

Each NFL team has revenue of at least $217 million and only two were unprofitable (Browns and Lions.. perennial bottom dwellers although the Lions are changing that).

Thanks for the info!

Whoah!!!! Let's slow down.

I thought we were talking about the Glazers buying the Buccaneers. I forgot they already owned them. I didn't say anything else other than the fact that every team in the NFL turns an annual profit. Didn't state why, didn't state where the money goes, just stated that.

You all jumping on me for various reasons. I'm sorry for not paying close enough attention to the initial statement.

Also, Browns probably aren't profitable because we constantly need to spend money on these high draft picks. Holmgren better fix that. Hopefully the new Rookie Wage structure fixes that as well.

/end NFL Talk (since most of you don't know what I'm talking about)

EDIT: Actually, looking at the breakdown my guess for the - operating income would be because we just changed our entire front office and spent a lot of money to make Holmgren our President of Football Operations.

Bebes agent is Jorge Mendes. He is also represents Nani, Anderson, De Gea and Ronaldo. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bebe deal was to keep Mendes sweet so we have access to other promising players that he represents.

Imagine if a transfer embargo is placed on United. Mass transfer muppet suicide.
I think it's 100% dodgy. He made a shitload of money from that transfer. Whole switching agents thing is messed up too. Don't like our relationship with this Mendes fella, made alot of money off us.

faridmon

So back to the proper football, anyone else excited by the DFB pokal final?
If anyone else have any other reccomendation for a german pub, that would be great

Clegg

I think it's 100% dodgy. He made a shitload of money from that transfer. Whole switching agents thing is messed up too. Don't like our relationship with this Mendes fella, made alot of money off us.

Mendes made over £2m from the Bebe transfer. I don't like Uniteds association with him either but he represents a few of our players. Nani and De Gea are important first teamers too, so we're stuck with him for the time being.

Mendes made over £2m from the Bebe transfer. I don't like Uniteds association with him either but he represents a few of our players. Nani and De Gea are important first teamers too, so we're stuck with him for the time being.
Imagine we get a transfer ban imposed on us.

Fergie won't even need to think of excuses anymore :lol

He certainly was for us. As a club that had never broken into the European leagues he managed to get us in all the 5 seasons he was here. First year we got into CL (Knocked out Ajax in CL qual, beat Man utd and Celtic in group stage). 3 years of Europa League and closed his Copenhagen career off with getting through the group stage (beating Panathinaikos and Rubin Kazan. Drawing against Barcelona and pretty close to stealing one point at Nou Camp too).

He got a nice history with our club, died when he was a player on the training ground for Copenhagen, got CPR and managed to survive but had to stop his football career, came back a few years later as a manager and gave us all that success. Only missed one championship.

At times a bit crazy. When he's happy he's really happy.

iB8DLmYD9sC7U.gif

kLQ6S.jpg
hLHxo.jpg

But when he's pissed...

ig0WG4KAKDcqi.gif
ih4UQSL7TYQ9K.gif
isf3wR0fNsE3F.gif

Ii5g6.jpg
BpJxC.jpg

He also hit our assistant manager a few times during one match, the assistant manager left not long after that. They kept claiming that wasn't the reason but... Yeah... lol. Also has some amazing press conferences where he will talk shit and some journalists won't get the humor, like last year he reffered to Rubin Kazan defenders as "The fat one. The Ugly one and the woman (dude with long hair)" and took the piss out of Barca saying they wouldn't have a chance against us as Iniesta was missing.

So he has an OK managerial past, and lets face it, he couldnt be any worse than who we have in charge at the minute haha

WJD

Hey footy GAF, how awesome is Ben Howard?
if your answer is not "so awesome" you are wrong

Hate to be one of those people but I saw him play a couple of years a go at Boardmasters when he was a bit of a nobody so it's great seeing him get bigger and bigger.

Give him a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom