• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Moments after sealing the title

mNOi0.jpg

5YRcF.gif

Looks like we're going after Udinese's Asamoah and Isla, but I'm sure we're not the only ones. Inter, at least, is likely to try too. Would be fantastic if we somehow managed to steal (meaning: pay no more than 30min€ despite Pozzo being Pozzo) both. But I'd be more than happy with Asamoah only. Amazing player, imo.

Fuck YES Kwadwo Asamoah! :D

faridmon

Few news, Pianaar have been fined £1000 and got deducted few points from his driving licences since he had two driving offence and missed the court hearing which he had some lousy excuses for. I just can't believe he said that he was moving houses and that is why he was oblivious to his court hearing. How is that possible?

Also, Everton have given a two year contract to Jose Baxter. I sort of like the lad. However, I really don't see how he fit with our philosophy as a team. He was a talented player who had some spell at England under 17 and 19 (I think, or was it 21?), but as he matured, he became stiffer with his movement and his problem decision making became poor. He does score goals for our reserve team and who had their best spell under Alan stubs going 13 matches unbeaten, but one have to wonder, if the quality is there for him to move up. He is only 20 years old, but knowing Moyes, his break into the fist team anytime soon will be difficult. Hopefully now that we have Aland Stubs as coaching staff, he can build upon his talent and try to break into the first team where Barkely have failed.

Derenthe is trying to move back to his parent club Feynoord. I really liked him (as footballer mind you) from seeing play few games for us this season. He had some tenacity that most of our players are missing. Can add some width to the team and his pace have been widely helpful from the flanks, especially since Coleman was injured most of the season. But, he had some faults that made Moyes unhappy. He has some discipline issues and he seems arrogant on the field and would trip with the ball trying to wriggle through players more often than not. His inconsistence is simply unacceptable. If there is one thing I hate more than anything, it is inconsistency and if you aren't sure with a player when he starts the game for you, then it’s better not to take the risk at playing him. Shame, he has talents, and if his attitude would be more patient and humble, he would be one of our best players. Good riddance.

Good signing but it's a classic case of nobody gives a fuck about Everton.

Only one season. One season! and you Imagine yourself among the greats?
*shakes head*

but at least Chelsea sold a fuck load of t-shirts with his name on it and got good sponsorship revenue. Can't say the same about Denilson at Arsenal.

This analysis is really dumb. Do you really think Torres brings in £40M jersey more in merchandise revenue than Denilson? Because that's what you're really saying here. And why not compared Torres with Van Persie?

The difference Chelsea and Arsenal's merchandise revenue is about £3.5M which is dwarfed by £25M difference in matchday revenue in Arsenal's favor.

defel

A bit late on this but Im pleased to see Juventus win. A team composed mainly of Italian players and an Italian manager. Correct me if Im wrong but appointing Conte as manager must have looked like a risky move at the time.

Man United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal I hope you all take note.

According to Venkys:

Paul hunt was sacked as a cost saving measure

Only a malicious minority of fans have been upset

They aren't looking to sell the club

Nobody is to blame for relegation

Unfuckingbelieveable

According to Venkys:

Unfuckingbelieveable

How much would it cost to buy the team from Venky's? Maybe you could get the team to be owned by a supporter group?

I know it may be unrealistic

What are the chances Lampard and/or Drogba get transferred?

Really really doubt Lampard is going anywhere, still got a year (or more?) left of his contract and no one would be willing to pay the wages he gets at Chelsea or pay a good transfer fee. Drogba on the other hand is very possible, expecting it at this point.

Wilbur

Banned
A bit late on this but Im pleased to see Juventus win. A team composed mainly of Italian players and an Italian manager. Correct me if Im wrong but appointing Conte as manager must have looked like a risky move at the time.

Only United and Liverpool have any chance of that happening under current regimes, and SAF and Dalglish will be gone soon enough.

According to Venkys:

Unfuckingbelieveable

Such a disgrace

Luis Enrique: "I'll leave Roma at the end of the season."

Well, after losing the EL thanks to Thun, a mediocre championship and a lot of mistakes all over his season, I think it's his best decision. Maybe there was too much pressure on him, a lot of journalists said that he would've been another Guardiola: he's talented, but not ready for an important team like Roma, imho.

faridmon

Does anyone know a good German pub in London? I am planning to watch the DFB-Pokal this Saturday with some (Japanese mates who support Shinji Kagawa) and apart from the sports cafe, which I am not even sure if they are going to show the match, I don't know any other places that show international leagues.

Wilbur

Banned

Well, after losing the EL thanks to Thun, a mediocre championship and a lot of mistakes all over his season, I think it's his best decision. Maybe there was too much pressure on him, a lot of journalists said that he would've been another Guardiola: he's talented, but not ready for an important team like Roma, imho.

Shame. He deserved more time but would have been better at a place like Catania like Montella's done.

Carbonox

Wonder what he's going to be doing next season. Seems to good to ride the bench here.

Send him out on loan again next season, have him juggle with Cech in the 2013/2014 season then have him be number 1 permanently (unless he becomes too shit) for the 2014/2015 season.

Could just skip the loan idea and have him juggle with Cech next season though. Cech's still quality though.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Signing of the season, taking into account price (and perhaps even not), is Andrea Pirlo.
And 3 goals/13 assists. Quite incredible really.

Of course there was, it's Roma
5YRcF.gif

There's absolutely no excuse for their shambolic defending this season.

Really really doubt Lampard is going anywhere, still got a year (or more?) left of his contract and no one would be willing to pay the wages he gets at Chelsea or pay a good transfer fee. Drogba on the other hand is very possible, expecting it at this point.

ManU? lol

Seems weird that Drogba seems to have done more than Torres and will get the boot. I would get rid of Malouda and Kalou (maybe even Sturridge) before I get rid of Drogba. Who know what will happen in that kooky Russian head.

ManU? lol

Seems weird that Drogba seems to have done more than Torres and will get the boot. I would get rid of Malouda and Kalou (maybe even Sturridge) before I get rid of Drogba. Who know what will happen in that kooky Russian head.

It's not really weird at all, it's common sense and very logical. Drogbas contract is running out and he wants a 2 years extension and Chelsea only wants to give him one year, 2 years is too much for a 34 year old striker. Not that Malouda and Kalou shouldn't leave (and at least Malouda certainly is). Chelsea already got an aging squad, having a 36 year old forward running around in two seasons probably won't do much good, lets not forget that Drogba has also been awful for a whole lot of this season.

ManU? lol

Droba and Torres are pretty much on the same amount of goals Torres with more assists though for this season, guess you could make an argument for the importance of the goals that were scored by each though.

faridmon

He was a beast in an old FIFA game when I signed him for Celtic. Scored tonnes of goals. As we all know, this means he'll be brilliant in real life too.

He was a beast in Football Manager scoring 13 goals in the first season, including one in the final in the FA cup.

I wish Moyes would play Fifa and FM.

Zabojnik

We have indeed a healthy mix of italian and foreign players. It's how it's always been with Juventus, really, and the national team has benefited a lot because of it over the decades. It's not called ItalJuve for nothing. :p I think it helps a lot with building the right team spirit, but I wouldn't presume to say it's how it should be in every side, not in modern football and in a global world.

1ital-juve.jpg

Yeah, Conte was a risky move after a similar try with Ferrara, but it turned out to be the perfect one. I think nobody anticipated how incredibly prepared and elastic Conte actually is as a coach, besides being a natural leader and a true juventino. But again, I wouldn't start calling him the new Lippi yet. I'm really curious to see him manage the squad in Europe next year. It's going to be a whole new dimension for a lot of our players.

elsk

Banned
Daily Mail is one for shit talk, right?

they are reporting that Bayern Munich wants Baines for 15 Mill. Is that true Elsk?

We've been getting the same reports, but from english media not german media. He didn't want to move two seasons ago, so I don't get why he would now... if Contento is leaving, then we could be looking for a LB for rotation with Alaba.

My "Young player of the season" award goes to Toni Kroos. This means very little as there are many young players I have hardly watched, and Kroos himself I have only seen maybe 8/9 times this season...but everytime I've seen him he's been brilliant. That guy is seriously good, fantastic play-maker with a beautiful passing range, he can shoot too.

I hope he plays at the Euro's but I guess Ozil will keep him out of the side. Germany have some incredible young players coming through.

Funnily enough Kroos was one of those FM superstars from a couple of years ago. Seems they were right about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom