• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Slow day today.

PcuNz.gif

There are an awful lot of sexually suggestive Alison Brie gifs on the internet.

I approve.

Carbonox

I do think it's time to let Best go though. I appreciate the effort he made in a fair few games for us when it mattered (after Carroll's sale for example) but he will not improve any further with us, nor will we get played. Though I do find him better than Ameobi. :\ He should go somewhere where he will get more time.

Carbonox

Oh and it seems we're selling Danny Simpson as he turned down a new contract offer thought to be worth over double his current wages. What a shame. I guess that means Santon will move to RB and Pieters will move to LB.

Meier

Victor Moses' agent said he'll look to move him this summer to a bigger club with better supporting players. Poor Wigan. This is why you need to have a wealthy benefactor to actually make any noise consistently in the footballing world. These small teams are just farm teams otherwise.

Moses' agent, Tony Finnigan, expects an exit to be sealed, with the likes of Liverpool, Sunderland and Newcastle mooted as potential suitors.

"I think what Wigan have done is tremendous and shows it was the right place for him to go after Palace. But now I think Victor is ready for the next step," Finnigan is quoted as saying by The Sun.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1067226/victor-moses-set-for-wigan-exit---agent?cc=5901

elsk

Banned
Victor Moses' agent said he'll look to move him this summer to a bigger club with better supporting players. Poor Wigan. This is why you need to have a wealthy benefactor to actually make any noise consistently in the footballing world. These small teams are just farm teams otherwise.

Kind of their fault for making a freaking 3 years contract... And well, all the small teams give a chance to players like Moses to shine and then move on, the small clubs gets some money back and they buy a new unknown talent. That's just the way it works.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1067226/victor-moses-set-for-wigan-exit---agent?cc=5901

I don't think their fans or their owner have much of a problem with that. I'm sure they realise that they're punching well above their weight as it is. They bought Moses so they could sell him on for more in the future. That's how they operate and how they stay in business. Wigan don't have enough local support to offer much more than that.

Meier

I don't think their fans or their owner have much of a problem with that. I'm sure they realise that they're punching well above their weight as it is. They bought Moses so they could sell him on for more in the future. That's how they operate and how they stay in business. Wigan don't have enough local support to offer much more than that.

Oh I'm sure they understand the situation there in -- it obviously won't be changing either. My point is that you'll hear fans of old guard teams talk about earning wealth and that's why they can spend a lot. The inequality of wealth is why the same 3-5 teams dominate every top-flight league across the world. Without a major injection of cash, there's essentially no way to compete on a long-term basis in today's sports world.

FWIW, it's the same in America if you're a small market team competing against wealthier teams in bigger cities.

elsk

Banned
Oh I'm sure they understand the situation there in -- it obviously won't be changing either. My point is that you'll hear fans of old guard teams talk about earning wealth and that's why they can spend a lot. The inequality of wealth is why the same 3-5 teams dominate every top-flight league across the world. Without a major injection of cash, there's essentially no way to compete on a long-term basis in today's sports world.

FWIW, it's the same in America if you're a small market team competing against wealthier teams in bigger cities.

You don't really need an "injection of cash" to do so. You just need a bigger fan base so you have enough money to build a decent team and with time win more fans and keep improving the squad. If the fan base is small then yes you need a cash injection like Chelsea or Manchester City.

In other news, I want to thank the person who mentioned the Man City away jerseys for 15 quid. Just got mine in and it's lovely.

Please ignore the Heineken crate in the background and the light emitting from my head, that's because I'm none other than the reincarnation of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Trolololol. Ignore the laundry s'il vous plaît.

I know what shirt I'll be wearing if I'll ever go to a Noel Gallagher gig.
3AQmK.gif

Labadal

Former Liverpool player Neil Mellor retired at the age of 23 because of injury. :( I liked the guy, I had hopes for him when he was young.

If I like the new home kit, I'll get it as soon as possible with Carroll #9 on the back.

Meier

You don't really need an "injection of cash" to do so. You just need a bigger fan base so you have enough money to build a decent team and with time win more fans and keep improving the squad. If the fan base is small then yes you need a cash injection like Chelsea or Manchester City.

It's a bit of a catch-22. It's hard to create a large fan base unless you're in a major city and most of the smaller teams are hampered by their local population.

In the case of City and Chelsea, the teams were in major cities so they were attractive options because they had room to grow. Wigan is in Manchester as well so in theory they have the option to gain a larger fan base, but there's too much competition on a local level.

3AQmK.gif

YES! :D He'd call you up on stage!

Sorry to have let you down Salvadora, I just really like this particular kit and with Noel Gallagher being a Citizen and fan of Balotelli I just couldn't resist for 15 quid.

dc89

Aguero in training today. The City photographer on her Twitter posted that picture and said "Kun and THOSE LEGS"

9jjwai

In other news, I want to thank the person who mentioned the Man City away jerseys for 15 quid. Just got mine in and it's lovely.

Please ignore the Heineken crate in the background and the light emitting from my head, that's because I'm none other than the reincarnation of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Trolololol. Ignore the laundry s'il vous plaît.

I mentioned them 3/4 times, all part of my job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom