• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Imagine if a transfer embargo is placed on United. Mass transfer muppet suicide.

if8FF.gif

Barcelona have defended Lionel Messi against accusations he directed a racial term at Royston Drenthe. Drenthe, who is currently on loan at Everton from Real Madrid, claims Messi called him a "negro" repeatedly during his time in Spain. Barcelona have dismissed the claims and praised Messi's character. "The player has always shown maximum respect and sportsmanship towards his rivals, something recognised by fellow professionals," a spokesman said. "We are sure that any accusations to the contrary are well wide of the mark." Drenthe, 25, has spent this season, the final year of his Real Madrid contract, on loan at Goodison Park but he has been excluded from David Moyes' squad in recent weeks for disciplinary reasons.

He joined Real from Feyenoord in 2007 and spent last season on loan with Spanish side Hercules. In an interview with Dutch magazine Helden, Drenthe says he clashed with world player of the year Messi, 24, during his time with Hercules. He has also accused former Real team-mates Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain of using similar language on the training ground. "I played against [Messi] many times and we always have problems with each other," Drenthe said. "You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always says, 'negro, negro'. I understand that negro in South America is very common, but we cannot stand it.
"When Hercules played Barcelona, during the game I had a small altercation with him. He gave me a hand in the match and again said a few times, 'hola negro'.

"Mahamadou Diarra, my team-mate at Real, could explode if 'negro' was aimed at him. The Argentineans Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain said it initially on the training ground, but they were stopped." The interview with the Dutch magazine was conducted on 18 April in Holland.
When the subject turned to the forthcoming El Clasico, Frits Barend, who conducted the interview, asked who Drenthe would be supporting. "Real Madrid," was Drenthe's reply.
The Dutchman then said he would not expect a birthday card from Messi because of a number of run-ins with the player, dating back to August 2008 when the Netherlands met Argentina met in the Olympic football tournament in Beijing.

Drenthe claimed that, after he missed a chance to win the game in the 87th minute, Messi turned to him and called him "negro" for the first time. Argentina went on to win the match in extra time, and the gold medal in the final against Nigeria. The alleged angry exchanges between Drenthe and Messi continued in La Liga, with the Dutch international claiming the World Player of the Year repeated the phrase to him in numerous club matches. The last time the players met, Drenthe claims Messi also refused to shake his hand at the end of the match. On Thursday, the Spanish Primera Liga said it was not planning to take action against Messi.​

iKg2takhB3u8n.gif

Yen

Wish they gave us free printing rather than that wank t-shirt. It'll probably come in XXL too. Just said this to my mate, but the best thing about it is it looks like it was designed in the PES edit mode.

I thought the same!

Arnie

I would be incredibly hesitant in ordering while the site is being hammered.

Exactly, card details and shit. I'll wait. Pretty pissed that they just offer us that god awful t-shirt rather than free printing like they did with last years away kit. Printing's £14, but I suppose my love for Lucas transcends financial barriers.

Messi

Exactly, card details and shit. I'll wait. Pretty pissed that they just offer us that god awful t-shirt rather than free printing like they did with last years away kit. Printing's £14, but I suppose my love for Lucas transcends financial barriers.

Wait and see what Kitbag do?

Messi

Mark your calendar guys, Barca are revealing the new home kit in Barcelona on May 22nd. Its totally this kit:

DG3Vj.jpg

I want to get Thiago or Pedro on the back but I know come launch day when I am clicking order, it will say 'Messi 10' Just like every other year. First kit is always Messi. :( :)

choodi

Banned
Mark your calendar guys, Barca are revealing the new home kit in Barcelona on May 22nd. Its totally this kit:

DG3Vj.jpg

I want to get Thiago or Pedro on the back but I know come launch day when I am clicking order, it will say 'Messi 10' Just like every other year. First kit is always Messi. :( :)

So goddamn ugly!

Messi

So goddamn ugly!

Wish they had stayed with the blue sleeves. But the complainers got what they wanted, red sleeves. I didnt really like it at first, but its grown on me, and after wearing some of nikes new euro kits. If they use the same material for the barca kit ill be very happy. Netherlands kit is so comfy.

sneaky77

According to Marca (take with a grain of salt) Barcelona has reached a deal with G.Bale and will pay Spurs 40m for him. I think Jordi alba is better defender unless they plan to get both.

This is very true. Spain and German kits for the euro's are the best kits.

New brazil kits look lovely, love that yellow.

Yeah they learned their error. Even so Nike kits are so bland and uninteresting compared to other brands. Adidas Euro teams kits are beautiful.

bud

DG3Vj.jpg

that looks like a quick paint job. this season's kit isn't much better either.

WJD

According to Marca (take with a grain of salt) Barcelona has reached a deal with G.Bale and will pay Spurs 40m for him. I think Jordi alba is better defender unless they plan to get both.

Alba will be ours! lol no :(

Also, Pool's kit looks swanky as fuck.

Stubo

Hey footy GAF, how awesome is Ben Howard?
if your answer is not "so awesome" you are wrong

Hate to be one of those people but I saw him play a couple of years a go at Boardmasters when he was a bit of a nobody so it's great seeing him get bigger and bigger.

Give him a listen.
I don't care how many pages ago this was, just had to post to say he is THE BEST!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom