• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fergie's never had trouble rooting out talent up front. Henriquez seems like one for the future, like Will Keane.

Really hope we get Kagawa this summer. It would be a step forward tactically and personnel-wise for us. I just hope we aren't blind to other opportunities out there, especially with Pogba likely off to Juventus - M'Vila or Asamoah would do wonders, for instance, adding a dose of mobility and class in the middle.

I find it slightly worrying that I'm believing what the Sun and the Mirror are reporting.

This is how desperate I've become for some good news about United transfers.

Sign him up ffs.

And I hope the Henriquez deal doesn't turn into another Ljajic fiasco.

We had the player and then cancelled at the last second.

Hopefully we'll exercise the right to buy Henriquez.
:lol

I wouldn't believe what anybody says anymore. Bale to Inter, Gaitan to United. Even that fake Kagawa quote the other day, AP were carrying that. AP! Ridiculous that apparently reliable sources like that get roped into these rumours.

Re Henriquez - We have until 2014. There's no rush. He's just turned 18. Leave him there for another season at least, let him play and gain experience at home for now.

Fergie's never had trouble rooting out talent up front. Henriquez seems like one for the future, like Will Keane.

Really hope we get Kagawa this summer. It would be a step forward tactically and personnel-wise for us. I just hope we aren't blind to other opportunities out there, especially with Pogba likely off to Juventus - M'Vila or Asamoah would do wonders, for instance, adding a dose of mobility and class in the middle.
Well Fergie has been to see this Powell kid at Crewe lately. Not the kind of signing that moves anything inside me...but he is a talented CM apparently so yeah, he's looking...

Clegg

It all depends on how much money United have to spend this summer. We spent £50 odd million last year and now there is less money coming in because we fucked up in the CL and we probably won't win the league.

I think we need to open that infamous "warchest" that we keep hearing about.

Lunchbox

Banned
asamoah from udinese? mvilla and him are 2 young french and african midfielders, wengers already got them in his pockets, so he can start breeding them for barcelona and city. no point in hoping for them to come here, we got no chance

kagawa is the only one that has a realistic chance of coming to old trafford

Clegg

To be fair, Ljajic seems to be a bit of a cunt. And as Bronn would tell you, there's no cure for that.

He is a bit of a cunt but I still think United pissed all over him on that deal.

Everything was basically sorted out and he was ready to join us. Then we pulled out of the deal. It was very unprofessional on Uniteds part.

And Bronn would be a perfect midfield enforcer.

elsk

Banned
It all depends on how much money United have to spend this summer. We spent £50 odd million last year and now there is less money coming in because we fucked up in the CL and we probably won't win the league.

I think we need to open that infamous "warchest" that we keep hearing about.

Manchester utd wasted £50 last summer then. With that kind of money I could buy a (almost) complete XI to fight in CL.

My biggest regret in the summer is going to be the realisation that we have lost Morrison and Pogba. I think that will hit home very hard in the transfer window. Man I still remember watching those two sparkle in the FAYC last season, superstars in the making.Time will tell how good they will go on to be but I have no doubt that at United they would have at the very least become useful squad players. It's just such a shame we have lost them. Morrison I guess is easier to take because it seems he was never going to rein himself in. But to go on and lose Pogba too? It's a disaster for the club. They are better than Welbeck and Cleverley were at that age, easily, and I know people make jokes about those two here but they've shown signs of promise for us this season. Can only imagine what Pogba and Morrison would have shown when given the chance.

Clegg

Manchester utd wasted £50 last summer then. With that kind of money I could buy a (almost) complete XI to fight in CL.

You really couldn't.

Edit:Viva, its not really Uniteds fault that Morrison left and Pogba is probably gone.

Morrison is a bellend and Pogba doesn't know what he wants.

It's a big blow but I don't think there is much more United could have done.

ShogunX

Ascl0KWCEAA7Pjr.jpg

Daily Mail rating after we beat Chelsea 4-1.

Bit strange really.

elsk

Banned
You really couldn't.

GK: Adler - Free transfer.
RB: Gotoku Sakai - 1M (or less)
CB: Felipe Santana - 5M
CB: Dominic Maroh - 1,5M
LB: Ricardo Rodríguez - 8,5M
DM: Arouca - 4,5M
CM: Didavi - 1,5M
RW: Maximilian Beister - 3M
AM: Gylfi Sigurdsson - 5M
LW: Ilicevic - 5M
ST: Lasogga - 5M (Volland - 2.5M or Schieber - 6M)

= 40M euros. BOOM.

Clegg

GK: Adler - Free transfer.
RB: Gotoku Sakai - 1M (or less)
CB: Felipe Santana - 5M
CB: Dominic Maroh - 1,5M
LB: Ricardo Rodríguez - 8,5M
DM: Arouca - 4,5M
CM: Didavi - 1,5M
RW: Maximilian Beister - 3M
AM: Gylfi Sigurdsson - 5M
LW: Ilicevic - 5M
ST: Lasogga - 5M (Volland - 2.5M or Schieber - 6M)

= 40M euros. BOOM.

Gylfi would cost twice that amount and that team would be knocked out in the group stages.

elsk

Banned
Gylfi would cost twice that amount and that team would be knocked out in the group stages.

Like Manchester United this season? heh.
I'm talking about Gylfi before this season. when he joined Hoffenheim, that's what they paid.

Clegg

United were godawful in the Champions League. O

nly doicare would argue that United didn't deserve to be eliminated from the CL in the group stages.

elsk

Banned
The squad I posted has a better midfield (CM, DM, RW, AM) than Manchester United. Not saying LW too, because Nani.
edit: they also have a better RB and CB (santana)

Yay FM time.

The squad I posted has a better midfield (CM, DM, RW, AM) than Manchester United. Not saying LW too, because Nani.
Lets assume that team exists and is called Elsk FC. Are Elsk FC amongst the top 10 club teams in the world?

elsk

Banned
You should really give proper FM another go.

(Was it you who said you didnt like it or am I getting confused with someone else...it was definitely a Bayern fan!)

I downloaded the demo and freaked out, maybe in part because I can't use the bundesliga in the demo so I had to go the british way. I'm waiting for a 5 bucks offer to buy it :(

dschalter

valencia was fantastic this season and united have great CBs as well, though the central midfielders they played did leave something to be desired.

FootballFan

Poor neighbor family, felt really bad for them. The kid didn't get anything for Christmas and I was barely using my PS3.

That is a really nice thing to do :) Good stuff.

6'6 238 pounds

But Messi is 5'6 and 148pounds. Imposter ! :p

homekitfront500.jpg
homeback500.jpg

The official kit.

Looks awesome, but it also looks like a normal Polo one would wear at a golf game or something. Still though, one of the more likable kits I have seen for next season.

choodi

Banned
So I'm playing Conan on PS3. Pretty mindless, but very entertaining hack and slash.

If it had multi/ coop it would have been fantastic

bjaelke

Danish/Ajax GAF, how is Nicolai Boileson? Apparently he's one of Newcastle's main transfer targets.
Hard to say. He's been injured for the last 3-4 months and will be missing out on the EUROs. Boilesen showed a lot of promise both for Ajax and on the national team. Hopefully his injury hasn't set him back too far. I expect he wants a season or 2 at Ajax before moving on.
His last name is not Poulsen, he's probably decent.
:lol
homekitfront500.jpg
homeback500.jpg

The official kit.
I love it.

Someone suggested that a tighter version was also being made. I hope that's the case given my body proportions.
parks and rec ending? noooooo :(

untitled-6adkzk.gif

The only NBC show to improve. Will be missed.

Parks and Rec ending? Ugh, NBC will be cutting it down at its peak while the aimless machinery of The Office keeps chugging along. :/

De Gea's price was reasonable, in my opinion. Potentially a world class goal keeper settled for two decades.

However, the usual inflation on PL class players like Ashley Young and Phil Jones is annoying. But I think Fergie should recover from his mini-Daglish moment.

Beister better than Valencia? Santana better than Vidic and Rio?

Choc

Banned
yey just found out i passed my FIFA fitness test again and my qualifications are now recognised internationally

so whilst im not a FIFA ranked official yet, my accreditation would be recognised in the UEFA zone (and i'd probably get Conference South etc in the UK. They tend to keep foreigners out of the Football league, to develop UK referees. Which is fine)

Kenka

Santana is good but he is less good than either Subotic and Hummels. But I would agree that those guys are on par with Rio and Vidic. And before you start saying that I am spitting bullshit, you should watch them in action, preferably this Saturday when they won't leave Mario Gomez, Kroos, Luiz Gustavo and Robbery a chance to score.

rodvik

yey just found out i passed my FIFA fitness test again and my qualifications are now recognised internationally

so whilst im not a FIFA ranked official yet, my accreditation would be recognised in the UEFA zone (and i'd probably get Conference South etc in the UK. They tend to keep foreigners out of the Football league, to develop UK referees. Which is fine)

HELL YEAH man! Thats awesome.

elsk

Banned
Beister better than Valencia? Santana better than Vidic and Rio?

Long time since I saw Valencia doing something amazing, tbh. Obviously I don't watch Manchester United every week so I could be wrong. I was saying Beister > Young.

And obviously I wasn't comparing Santana with Vidic. I was comparing him with the young CBs you guys are using to replace Vidic.

elsk has been talking shit like that for quite a while.

He plays in Bundesliga and is cheap, he must be shit!

OH WAIT

Papis_Demba-Cisse.jpg

Also:

Santana is good but he is less good than either Subotic and Hummels. But I would agree that those guys are on par with Rio and Vidic. And before you start saying that I am spitting bullshit, you should watch them in action, preferably this Saturday when they won't leave Mario Gomez, Kroos, Luiz Gustavo and Robbery a chance to score.

Kenka

For heaven's sake, that club is going down to Oblivion. Can you seriously believe it:

Hertha_Berlin_26263_569661.jpg

hertha+-+online.jpg

Hertha Berlin lost its home game for the relegation against Fortuna.

Quite amazingly, the crowd for that game was north of 70'000. Now explain me how a club with such fanbase can leave the top-flight division of any league?
What a huge shame for the club direction.

To me it feels like River II.

For heaven's sake, that club is going down to Oblivion. Can you seriously believe it.

I am sorry to see them get relegated again but as long as Preetz is "working" not much will change. If Herta manges to succeed against Düsseldorf I hope they let go of Preetz and really risk a new and fresh start.

Subotic and Hummels are certainly on a different level. It's probably just a lazy connection between him and Vidic being Serbian by the media, but I hope United's supposed interest in Subotic proves real when Rio gets moved on.

Long time since I saw Valencia doing something amazing, tbh. Obviously I don't watch Manchester United every week so I could be wrong. I was saying Beister > Young.

And obviously I wasn't comparing Santana with Vidic. I was comparing him with the young CBs you guys are using to replace Vidic.

Okay, more reasonable. Maybe you weren't obvious enough. ;)

spidye

For heaven's sake, that club is going down to Oblivion. Can you seriously believe it:

Hertha_Berlin_26263_569661.jpg

hertha+-+online.jpg

Hertha Berlin lost its home game for the relegation against Fortuna.

Quite amazingly, the crowd for that game was north of 70'000. Now explain me how a club with such fanbase can leave the top-flight division of any league?
What a huge shame for the club direction.

To me it feels like River II.
one name: Preetz
nuff said

Goddamn you stingy SAF/Wenger..
5-6m pounds for Kagawa, really?
Yes yes, only one year contract left, but Chelsea just bought fucking Marin for almost 10m.
Kagawa is at least twice as good as him (atm) and he's got the huge Japanese market behind him.
For that kind of money we could just let his contract expire, you know? We're not that needy right now.

I really hope there'll be a bidding war between Arse, Utd. and possibly Chelsea if they win the CL.
15m euro or bust!

Zabojnik

omg-no-no-no-no-no-stop-this-5480-1309444788-81.jpg

Move it, Marotta. GOGOGOGO! Asamoah must be ours. My favourite Udinese player by far.

Zabojnik

25MsR.gif

All that bad Mino karma.

I just hope you guys are right about Pogba, if he decides to join us. I don't know how many potential cracks joined our ranks in the past few years and I have yet to see one make the first team and deserve to stay there, sigh. Fabio Paratici seems to know what he's doing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom