• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 11 teams there above City who are guaranteed places in the CL next season;

Barcelona, Man United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, FC Porto, AC Milan, Valencia, Benfica, Shakthar, Zenit, Schalke.

Then teams who could still make it but aren't 100% yet are;

Arsenal, Chelsea, Atletico, Spurs, CSKA.

So if those 5 all qualify City would just miss out on the 2nd pot. Infact now I think about it...it's impossible because if Chelsea get in then either Arsenal or Spurs would miss out. Unless i've missed something, yeah, City will make the 2nd pot.

Wilbur

Banned
This is what you want.

It's the collation of points earned over the last 5 seasons. City are 28th there, so if there are 16 teams above them there who qualify for the CL, City will remain in pot 3.

A quick look through that suggests to me that it will depend on whether some of those teams can make it into qualification spots this weekend and then whether they get through the qualifying stages.

Would this one not be more relevant, for 2013? http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2013.html

City look like they'd be top 16, what with Inter unlikely to get there and Lyon/Marseille already out, as well as Liverpool. And if Atletico didn't make it, that would make City 16th without me even factoring in ones I don't know about.

EDIT: Well what you said above really.

Zabojnik

WøødenLung, what can you tell me about this youngster we bought from Aalborg BK? Jacob Laursen, 18 yo, CB.

C_3_Media_1476494_immagine_oleft.jpg

Would this one not be more relevant, for 2013? http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2013.html

City look like they'd be top 16, what with Inter unlikely to get there and Lyon/Marseille already out, as well as Liverpool. And if Atletico didn't make it, that would make City 16th without me even factoring in ones I don't know about.

EDIT: Well what you said above really.
I think it's worked out on the 5 previous seasons so it would be the 4 before this one, and then this one, for next year's rankings.

I think!

Wilbur

Banned
I think it's worked out on the 5 previous seasons so it would be the 4 before this one, and then this one, for next year's rankings.

I think!

Haha it is confusing! But it's pretty certain City are pot 2 I guess.

Juve, Dortmund, City and Barca would be a wonderful group (but not for Dortmund's chances. I reckon Juve would do City though).

Juve, Dortmund, City and Barca would be a wonderful group (but not for Dortmund's chances. I reckon Juve would do City though).
Not sure. I still feel the Manchester clubs under-performed majorly in Europe, we were never going to win it but both teams played below their level (especially United) way too many times. We basically threw our qualification in the group away the same we we threw the title away, those late goals conceded at home.

One thing to consider however is how the two clubs would have coped in the run-in with the stress of those big CL games. In that respect I think Bayern, Madrid and Barca are well ahead of us.

Eden's agent says United and City are the only two clubs in the race. It's gonna be a long summer with him, he and his agent are pretty much self-confessed transfer muppets. I still don't REALLY get why we're after him. So many more pressing concerns in our squad. Kagawa I can get because it would be a bargain deal...Hazard, I just don't see why we would want to spend so much money on him, not that he isn't good, just it would be better spent elsewhere.

dc89

I went to the City V Juve game in the Europa League 2 years ago. What a game, Krasic gave Kolarov a torrid time.

Judging by that Sky Sports News bit, which is obviously the least accurate barometer imaginable, Wolves fans seemed a bit desperate to get another manager from the British merry-go-round

Would really like Liverpool and Newcastle to win, and Spurs to draw

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Arsenal nearlybottle it and end up in fourth above Newcastle on goal difference

There are 12 teams there above City who are guaranteed places in the CL next season;

Barcelona, Man United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, FC Porto, AC Milan, Valencia, Benfica, Shakthar, Zenit, Schalke, CSKA

Then teams who could still make it but aren't 100% yet are;

Arsenal, Chelsea, Atletico, Spurs.

So if those 4 all qualify City would just miss out on the 2nd pot. Infact now I think about it...it's impossible because if Chelsea get in then either Arsenal or Spurs would miss out. Unless i've missed something, yeah, City will make the 2nd pot.

CSKA is not guaranteed a spot yet, season is not over and they only have a one point lead on third place. And even if they qualify for CL I'm not sure they make it to the group stage as their squad is weak.

CSKA is not guaranteed a spot yet, season is not over and they only have a one point lead on third place. And even if they qualify for CL I'm not sure they make it to the group stage as their squad is weak.
Ah okay, thanks for that! I'll edit it. My knowledge of Russian football is very limitedmhaha. How did Anzhi get on this season then?

Apparently some Liverpool fans are upset with the decision to revert to the old crest.

Ah okay, thanks for that! I'll edit it. My knowledge of Russian football is very limitedmhaha. How did Anzhi get on this season then?

Apparently some Liverpool fans are upset with the decision to revert to the old crest.

A bit of controversy according to BBC about the HJC not being consulted about us moving the flames onto the back of the shirt. Don't see the problem, to be bluntly honest

kharma45

Eden's agent says United and City are the only two clubs in the race. It's gonna be a long summer with him, he and his agent are pretty much self-confessed transfer muppets. I still don't REALLY get why we're after him. So many more pressing concerns in our squad. Kagawa I can get because it would be a bargain deal...Hazard, I just don't see why we would want to spend so much money on him, not that he isn't good, just it would be better spent elsewhere.

Kagawa we could arguably make a killing on in Japan and even the rest of Asia as he'd be a very marketable player and be a bargain at his rumoured fee.

/GlazersView

Zabojnik

juventus-leak.jpg

Seems legit enough. No sponsor though. I'm gonna go batshit insane if we get another fucking iron-on sticker. Fuck you, Nike. Don't do it.

EDIT: Nevermind, apprently it's one of the prototypes from a few months back.

rodvik

Pardew has been named Manager of the season!

Kompany been named player of the season.

Both well deserved, absolutely thrilled for Pardew. Who would have thought it eyy?

Completely deserved. I had Newcastle as struggling to stay up. Pardew has done an amazing job.

Wilbur

Banned
juventus-leak.jpg

Seems legit enough. No sponsor though. I'm gonna go batshit insane if we get another fucking iron-on sticker. Fuck you, Nike. Don't do it.

Return to proper stripes and that away kit? If they're both legit I might end up getting both. One Del Piero, one Cavani? ;)

elsk

Banned
So, first game for van Buyten (CB) in a long time. He played with the Bayern reserves team (4 division) and the result?

Bayern II 0 - 3 Ingolstadt II

fuck-this-shit-thumb.jpg

(He wasn't playing for the third goal, tho).

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
juventus-leak.jpg

Thank god I read your edit, I opened the window...

edit: Zabo, can you help me out with this one please!

bjaelke

I just saw this in the wrestling thread: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/60843

It embeds youtube links on the same page they're posted on... amazing! :D

Can't browse GAF without this now :O

I'm surprised you're not already using that considering how active you are. The other extensions by Andrex are also fantastic and makes browsing gaf a genuine pleasure. It's like getting a smartphone for the first time. You just can't go back.

WøødenLung, what can you tell me about this youngster we bought from Aalborg BK? Jacob Laursen, 18 yo, CB.

C_3_Media_1476494_immagine_oleft.jpg

Nothing at all, never seen him play. I know that he's not a CB though, a left back and can play left wing too. When Aalborgs talent coach was interviewed about him he talked a lot about his energy and how he could go on full speed for 90 min no problem and also had a good shot. When asked what he lacks he started talking about him still lacking the tactical part of the game.

With one round to go Anzhi is Currently in fifth, guaranteed Europa League and still have a chance for second and the Champions League. Its a 4 way battle for that spot.

CSKA 73 points
Spartak 72 points
Dinamo 71 points
Anzhi 70 points

If Anzhi somehow make the CL I'd love to see who they get with that supposed 300 million transfer budget for this summer.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Nothing at all, never seen him play. I know that he's not a CB though, a left back and can play left wing too. When Aalborgs talent coach was interviewed about him he talked a lot about his energy and how he could go on full speed for 90 min no problem and also had a good shot. When asked what he lacks he started talking about him still lacking the tactical part of the game.

Sold.

Ashes

Banned
I'm surprised United are still in for Hazard, The price must be huge.

The thing with hazard, is that not only is he a creative midfielder, he is a creative goal scoring midfielder. They don't come round so often. Proper goal scoring midfielders. :/

Really starting to dislike him though. And he is an inconsistent performer over a season. ( or so I heard on the radio). He comes off the wing though, don't know whether we need another attacking winger. Much better buy for man city.

GQman2121

Banned
Chelsea fans Player of the Year:

AsoX1exCMAAWJkY.jpg

Juan Mata said:
"It's a pleaseure to win PotY. I'm very grateful to all the fans who voted for me.

It was my first PotY dinner, and I am very proud. I was surprised to win. I didn't expect to win it.

Winning the FA Cup with my family there was a very good day for me. From the 1st day I realised what it means.

The toughest game this season was the defeat against Man U at Old Trafford."

Player's player of the Year: Ramires

Young player of the Year: Lucas Piazon

Zabojnik

Thank god I read your edit, I opened the window...

edit: Zabo, can you help me out with this one please!

I at work right now (well, not really I guess ...), I'll see what I can do. You want Del Piero only?

Thanks! Even better if he's a left back / winger. :)

bjaelke

I was a little shocked went I first saw that Juventus had monitored for over half a season and still found him interesting. I know they're getting him very cheap (almost free), but he hasn't showed much outside of 2 good games with the U18 national team.

Fady K

I actually think its a good thing that both Ivan and Terry is out, maybe this is the time when we see Cahill and Luiz reach max potential.

I would actually love to see Cahill and Luiz EVEN if Iva and Terry are not suspended. I fear they won't make it though :/ Hopefully one of them makes it at least.

Pardew has been named Manager of the season!

Kompany been named player of the season.

Both well deserved, absolutely thrilled for Pardew. Who would have thought it eyy?

WELL DESERVED. Kompany has been one hell of a player - and he was hard done by more than once this season with them red cards IMO.

I was a little shocked went I first saw that Juventus had monitored for over half a season and still found him interesting. I know they're getting him very cheap (almost free), but he hasn't showed much outside of 2 good games with the U18 national team.

Juves scouting system seems pretty impressive, there was even rumors of them wanting him when he was 15, hadn't heard much about Frederik Sørensen before the signing of him either.

elsk

Banned
No problem, we owed you guys for letting us destroy you 5-1 in the Europa League semis.

I think it was part of the deal, tbh. There were rumors about Bayern and Zenit according something, because Bayern didn't give a shit about the EL.

But didn't want to insult you or anything, I actually like your team.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't know much about him either outside the youth national teams. Must have shown something special during practice.

Yeah I honestly don't know how they do it..

FM?

Return to proper stripes and that away kit? If they're both legit I might end up getting both. One Del Piero, one Cavani? ;)

I wish
8gdoQ.gif

Eh, I'm definitely buying both the home and away with Del Piero's name + scudetto badge.

bjaelke

FM?

That's how I do it. Been watching a lot of youth games after I came home to Denmark. I always look like a fool when I start scouting regen players.

Copenhagens main scout was interviewed in the radio not that long ago, was talking about the different regions we bought and scouted players in, so he went on to mention that we might look into players from MLS sometimes soon, as he had just gotten MLS on his tv, at least now I know the reason for our questionable purchases now, random TV scouting.
LLShC.gif
At least it's better than asking your son :(((

I don't know much about him either outside the youth national teams. Must have shown something special during practice.

Copenhagens main scout was interviewed in the radio not that long ago, was talking about the different regions we bought and scouted players in, so he went on to mention that we might look into players from MLS sometimes soon, as he had just gotten MLS on his tv, at least now I know the reason for our questionable purchases now, random TV scouting.
LLShC.gif

Arnie

They probably should've consulted all the families, but I think the new system is far better for recognition than the old one. Many people didn't even notice the flames on the old crest because it was just a single part of a much larger design. Having the flames and '96' as their own separate entity on the shirt gives off a greater impression than when they were just a part of the badge.

I think it was part of the deal, tbh. There were rumors about Bayern and Zenit according something, because Bayern didn't give a shit about the EL.

But didn't want to insult you or anything, I actually like your team.
Don't worry I wasn't insulted. And even if I was I'm never in here anyway since nobody else here cares about the Russian League.

haha, that was brutal. nobody knew anything about that zenit team back then. but they had tymo, arashavin, pogrebnyak and some other great players.
watch

I don't rate Pog the Log highly at all. His scoring a couple goals for Fullham is fool's gold. You will all see, soon.

So apparently John Henry has indicated Daglish will be manager next season, I've seen this quote being attributed to him.

Daglish has given us amazing performances. Next season it will be the same performances with results

I think it's probablly the right call myself. I'm not sure he can turn it around but I think he deserves a second season in charge.

What do LFC-GAF think?

Keio

For a Finer World
With one round to go Anzhi is Currently in fifth, guaranteed Europa League and still have a chance for second and the Champions League. Its a 4 way battle for that spot.

CSKA 73 points
Spartak 72 points
Dinamo 71 points
Anzhi 70 points

If Anzhi somehow make the CL I'd love to see who they get with that supposed 300 million transfer budget for this summer.
How is it going with Zenit atm? I even wore light blue after seeing a game in St. P while my wife was working there but the racism crap turned me negative towards the team :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom