• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
How has Arashavin been getting on in Russia?

He was pretty bad at first but as he got more playing time(something he was lacking at Arsenal) he's improved. Not as good as before he left for England but about as good as I could have expected, couple goals and assists recently. All in all I wouldn't mind making the loan permanent. His performance at Euros will determine his future, I think.

You should keep posting! I'm always interested in reading news about any interesting football league.

Well, I'll definitely be around more for Euros to talk some shit about our geriatric national team. In fact we just announced our provisional roster.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284...ker-pogrebnyak-called-up-to-russias-euro-2012

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Don't worry I wasn't insulted. And even if I was I'm never in here anyway since nobody else here cares about the Russian League.
I bore them with my Scottish Premier League bullshit on an almost daily basis. The more the merrier!

Shame the MLS guys don't come in here more often, too.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I bore them with my Scottish Premier League bullshit on an almost daily basis. The more the merrier!

I make the rare post about MLS/Red Bulls in here. I guess it's just easier for us to discuss the league/our teams in the sub-thread than in here.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

nobody else here cares about the Russian League.

I make the rare post about MLS/Red Bulls in here. I guess it's just easier for us to discuss the league/our teams in the sub-thread than in here.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say: Please post more. :p

Also, I don't want to go to a separate thread to read about Del Piero next season :(

I'm sure the rest of the thread enjoys me talk about the danish league too.

i72xYIj8yET5b.gif

Arnie

I want to order the new Liverpool home kit, but I'm not sure if I should go L or XL. Don't want to get the size wrong.

I went small for that snug fit (and because I'm small). If you're getting it personalised make sure to specify which type; I personally don't like the special LFC printing so I made sure to tick the premier league one.

elsk

Banned
http://www.squeakybumtime.com/premiership/6230/manchester-united-weighing-up-bid-for-spl-star/

Manchester United weighing up bid for SPL star

Izaguirre.jpg

Despite claims from manager Neil Lennon that the club will resist selling their top players, Celtic star Emilio Izaguirre continues to attract the attention of Manchester United.

The reigning Premier League champions have been linked with the Honduran defender for the past year but a move has so far failed to materialize.

Patrice Evra currently occupies the role of left-back at Old Trafford but at the age of 30, it’s questionable as to how much longer the Frenchman can continue to perform at the top of his game.

Izaguirre has made a big name for himself in the Scottish Premier League since arriving in 2010 and is well-known to opposition defences as a full-back who’s more than capable of helping out in attack.

The 26 year-old has made only 13 appearances for Celtic this season due to a broken ankle he picked up last August.

That being said, the South American has made an inspirational return to the Hoops’ line-up and continues to be surrounded by transfer speculation.

Leighton Baines has also been linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent weeks but Izaguirre could ultimately prove easier to tempt away from his current club, who play in an entirely different league to United.

Izaguirre originally moved to Celtic in 2010 for a fee of just £600,000 and has seen his stock skyrocket since then.

Should the defender move on this summer, he would be expected to command a price-tag of around £7m whereas Baines’ cost could be as much as double that at £14m, making Izaguirre the more economical option.

It has been confirmed that current Red Devil, Fabio, will be moving to Benfica on loan next campaign, shortening the defensive reinforcements at United and increasing the need for a fresh face.

(Worst source ever)

I went small for that snug fit (and because I'm small). If you're getting it personalised make sure to specify which type; I personally don't like the special LFC printing so I made sure to tick the premier league one.
What's the LFC special one like? The same yellow?

Feorax

So apparently John Henry has indicated Daglish will be manager next season, I've seen this quote being attributed to him.

I think it's probablly the right call myself. I'm not sure he can turn it around but I think he deserves a second season in charge.

What do LFC-GAF think?

Well he's not wrong. The football we have been playing has been entertaining, and all of a sudden we look a different team with our number 9 hitting form. We do need to invest in certain areas, but you can see a lot of promise in this team.

New LW, new CM and a proper number 10 and we should do ok next season.

So apparently John Henry has indicated Daglish will be manager next season, I've seen this quote being attributed to him.

I think it's the right move, he's been a legend for the club and he certainly deserves 2-3 years even if it doesn't work out at all. Plus the squad should be much stronger next season with the likes of Defoe, Bent, Adam Johnson and Jarvis.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Like Judderman I post here occasionally about the MLS in here but mainly do it in the other thread since there is still a negative perception in here. Posters here always try to discredit highlights by just saying MLS defending is bad.

My club DC United is playing against Houston in the opening of their new stadium.

bbva-p1.jpg

elsk

Banned
Like Judderman I post here occasionally about the MLS in here but mainly do it in the other thread since there is still a negative perception in here. Posters here always try to discredit highlights by just saying MLS defending is bad.

My club DC United is playing against Houston in the opening of their new stadium.

bbva-p1.jpg

You guys should give it a try and post here. If anyone comes with the stupid comments again, they can leave for good.
The teams really have nice stadiums in the MLS, and the fan base in most cities are really growing with the team. I don't like things like the lack of relegation system and some USA sports things but the quality of the clubs (players) is really improving year by year. Players from Central América and Colombia are choosing MLS over Scandinavian leagues now.

Meier

bbva-p1.jpg

You should meet up with Miguel -- he has season tickets to the Dynamo and will be there. I can't really bring myself to cheer for either Texas team as I don't have a real allegiance. We have been to Houston once though so if I had to pick one, I'd pull for them.

Orlando City is hopeful to become an expansion team for the MLS within the next few years and if that happens, I'll actually pay attention to the league. The lack of game broadcasts is absolutely unacceptable though in my opinion. They need to work with Fox Soccer Channel to get more live coverage.. perhaps on Fox Soccer Plus if nothing else. 2 matches a week televised for a league of MLS' size is ridiculous.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Well he's not wrong. The football we have been playing has been entertaining, and all of a sudden we look a different team with our number 9 hitting form. We do need to invest in certain areas, but you can see a lot of promise in this team.

New LW, new CM and a proper number 10 and we should do ok next season.

Alberto-Aquilani-celebrat-001.jpg

Best I could do with the tools at my disposal here, sorry.

alecigar01.png
alecigar02.png
alecigar03.png
alecigar04.png
alecigar05.png

HAHA are you kidding! All of them are brilliant! Thanks
again
Zabo :D

So some Italian news source claims United have bid for this Asamoah guy from Udinese.

Time to go watch YouTube videos and get excited before realising it's bullshit and hitting depression forcing me to go watch Ronaldo videos to remember the glory days.

/pessimist

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
You should meet up with Miguel -- he has season tickets to the Dynamo and will be there. I can't really bring myself to cheer for either Texas team as I don't have a real allegiance. We have been to Houston once though so if I had to pick one, I'd pull for them.

Orlando City is hopeful to become an expansion team for the MLS within the next few years and if that happens, I'll actually pay attention to the league. The lack of game broadcasts is absolutely unacceptable though in my opinion. They need to work with Fox Soccer Channel to get more live coverage.. perhaps on Fox Soccer Plus if nothing else. 2 matches a week televised for a league of MLS' size is ridiculous.

FSC lost the broadcasting rights. NBCS has it now and does a pretty decent job. Do you live in Orlando?

liverpool-3rd-jersey-cole-10.jpg

Like that but I imagine the font will be white on the home shirt. Think it looks ghastly myself.
Hmm, doesn't do anything for me. I actually think alot of kits would look better with just the number on the back and not the name, especially the simple retro ones.

That reminds me that Joe Cole is still a Liverpool player! What's happening with him this summer?

Arnie

Hmm, doesn't do anything for me. I actually think alot of kits would look better with just the number on the back and not the name, especially the simple retro ones.

That reminds me that Joe Cole is still a Liverpool player! What's happening with him this summer?

Hopefully we can flog him permanently; we're still paying a ton on his wages.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So some Italian news source claims United have bid for this Asamoah guy from Udinese.

Time to go watch YouTube videos and get excited before realising it's bullshit and hitting depression forcing me to go watch Ronaldo videos to remember the glory days.

/pessimist

OH CMON United! We were only kidding with Pogba -_-

Meier

FSC lost the broadcasting rights. NBCS has it now and does a pretty decent job. Do you live in Orlando?

I live in Austin but am from Orlando. Time Warner stopped carrying Versus and I guess that's why we don't get that NBC Sports Network which I am guessing you're referencing. As it stands, there's pretty much no MLS on TV for me even if I'm interested (just that one game a week on ESPN and I heard there's one more on a different channel but I've never encountered it).

Edit: It looks like some games are played on Fox Sports Southwest which I think I get with my sports package although I'm not sure I've ever watched the channel. Nope, Houston Astros game is on -- I guess that's only in Dallas that it's broadcast.

I live in Austin but am from Orlando. Time Warner stopped carrying Versus and I guess that's why we don't get that NBC Sports Network which I am guessing you're referencing. As it stands, there's pretty much no MLS on TV for me even if I'm interested (just that one game a week on ESPN and I heard there's one more on a different channel but I've never encountered it).

Yea, January 1st saw Versus Network change to NBC Sports.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Have you followed Orlando? I'm just wondering since we picked Lewis Neal up from them.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Those "Blue Knights" withdrew their bid for Rangers too didn't they? What's going on there?

They've got no money. I honestly believe they were just grandstanding for publicity. They had this grand plan to bring back Graeme Souness, Walter Smith and unite them with Ally McCoist. Bring in financial experts to grow Rangers' revenue on a world scale and rescue the club..

..then bid 3.5m. The club still owes that much to Rapid Vienna for Jelavic alone. :lol (Plus HMRC 95m, Ticketus 25m, etc..)

A new consortium is currently bidding the for club led by Charles Green (who was apparently the CEO of Sheffield United years ago and their fans don't have much good to say about him 'Charlie Green, he sells the team' etc. Any Blades fans about?), with apparent backing from Singapore or something to the tune of about 11m. Seems as dodgy as the rest really, but they're expected to be named preferred bidder by the administrators tomorrow.

Craig Whyte and Charles Green, the men who possibly ruined Rangers? Green and Whyte, you couldn't make that up!

Yeah, pretty bad source, but Izzy is definitely being headhunted, no doubt. Liverpool should've bought him instead of Jose Enrique imo. I hope we manage to hold on to him for one more season on the prospect of CL football, since a good performance there should dramatically increase his value (and our chance of qualifying)!

It makes me laugh that he's a Celtic fan and people only ask him about Rangers!
A few times American posters in this thread have asked me about Rangers because they wanted to see how Edu, Bocanegra, Bedoya, etc were doing. That was pretty cool to see really. Any exposure for SPL clubs is always good, and our unfortunate rivals certainly need that. :p

Shame they'll all leave in the summer probably.

We're all looking forward to Motherwell's Champions League campaign next season, right? :lol

I wonder how people not from England started to follow Premier League teams, Americans especially as their country is not exactly a huge football nation like England is! :lol

Fur_Q

I'm sure the rest of the thread enjoys me talk about the danish league too.

Wow there's a Danish league, where do you fit in the time for footy between culling those pigs for my morning Sarnie. I assume it's like San Marino national side and most players are Butchers in their day jobs.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how people not from England started to follow Premier League teams, Americans especially as their country is not exactly a huge football nation like England is! :lol

A lot of Americans just pick one of the top teams. I mainly follow Everton and it started due to the American connection. I like watching all of the Americans abroad when I can. I always want to watch Fulham since Dempsey is my favorite player.

I feel like you'll get a lot of people saying FIFA(the game) and watching the World Cup (which we for some reason get super hyped for, even though we'll be going nowhere until Ghana is nuked from the planet)

As for why the PL in particular, that's the league that's shown the most on English-speaking TV here. By a very wide margin.

Meier

Have you followed Orlando? I'm just wondering since we picked Lewis Neal up from them.

I don't really have any knowledge of the squad -- only know that they won the championship their first year in the USL. I did "like" them on Facebook so I'm able to at least sort of stay on top of them this season but my interest in pretty cursory until they actually move to a league of note.

Oddly enough, OCSC was previously the Austin Aztex who have re-formed under new ownership. I'll probably try and go to a game or two.

elsk

Banned

I guess like anyone else: following a player from their country. I started watching the EPL because of Palacios (Tottenham) and Maynor Figueroa (Wigan).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom