• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I wonder how people not from England started to follow Premier League teams, Americans especially as their country is not exactly a huge football nation like England is! :lol
I read that Manchester United and Liverpool sell the most replica shirts of any club in the world. The PL is like a self fulfilling prophecy at this point. It's seen as the best league in the world, everyone watches it - generates loads of money. Teams have loads of money to spend, buy amazing players, improve quality of the league - generates more fans. Cycles on like that.

The only problem is that pretty natural cycle has been displaced by certain rich people coming in and having certain teams spend beyond their means. Then the rest of the clubs take on debt to match them. That's an unsustainable bubble that's going to burst at some point.

Labadal

I went small for that snug fit (and because I'm small). If you're getting it personalised make sure to specify which type; I personally don't like the special LFC printing so I made sure to tick the premier league one.

I chose the PL one with Carroll #9 (I went with L, not XL.). You'll never walk alone, Andy!

Worst case scenario, I'll gift it to a friend if it doesn't fit. He likes Liverpool but isn't a big fan of Carroll. But I guess he won't mind.

Back from over half a decade of national team banishment! He should make the final roster, wouldn't surprise me to see him used as a sub at Euros. How has he looked at Sporting this season?

He was great when he was fit. He is one of the reasons we did so well in the Europa League.
He was able to play 15 straight games without getting injured, that´s been a rare thing in the last 3 seasons.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^You're better off keeping him now, I doubt he would accept another loan move.
i thought that was chris martin for a moment.

Chris-Martin456.jpg

I can see it!

He looks more like Del Piero's brother though!

IlT98.jpg

GAF mind blown?

elsk said:
Just realized you're Yurt :p
Inter comment gave me away didn't it?

-NeoTB1-

I live in Austin but am from Orlando. Time Warner stopped carrying Versus and I guess that's why we don't get that NBC Sports Network which I am guessing you're referencing. As it stands, there's pretty much no MLS on TV for me even if I'm interested (just that one game a week on ESPN and I heard there's one more on a different channel but I've never encountered it).

Edit: It looks like some games are played on Fox Sports Southwest which I think I get with my sports package although I'm not sure I've ever watched the channel. Nope, Houston Astros game is on -- I guess that's only in Dallas that it's broadcast.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. Live near Austin, too. I'm not a huge MLS fan (no one that I currently support though I am following a NASL team), but it sucks that we hardly ever get any MLS game on TV. If they want to build the sport's popularity here in the states then they need to make it more accessible to the television audience.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I watch the PL for the Scottish managers, rather than the players. There's always at least one involved in the relegation battle each year so I can pretend I care about the teams involved. It's my dream that one day over 50% of the managers in the PL will be Scottish. We're currently at 35%, but that will drop. RIP Steve Kean.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I live in Austin but am from Orlando. Time Warner stopped carrying Versus and I guess that's why we don't get that NBC Sports Network which I am guessing you're referencing. As it stands, there's pretty much no MLS on TV for me even if I'm interested (just that one game a week on ESPN and I heard there's one more on a different channel but I've never encountered it).

From what I've heard MLS Live, their online service, is pretty good, but it's prone to blackout b/s.

I wonder how people not from England started to follow Premier League teams, Americans especially as their country is not exactly a huge football nation like England is! :lol

I started supporting Arsenal this season. We (New York Red Bulls, formerly the MetroStars, perennial MLS underachivers.) signed Henry after WC 2010, which was around the time I started following football seriously. I just watched the 2010-11 PL season (Along with other European leagues) just to get some knowledge of the league and teams, then jumped on the Gunners bandwagon this season due to Henry's connection to the team, and the possible chance of going to a game if I ever visit London.

In Red Bulls news, we're apparently close to signing Alessandro Nesta who just left Milan.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I'd say Chelsea has more fans in Latin America than Liverpool. Nobody talks about Liverpool over here.
No chance would it have been like that 10 years ago, though. I don't want to drag open the old debate about 'real fans', because it's stupid and nobody ever wins out of it, but it just goes to show glory hunting is far from a dead art.

In Red Bulls news, we're apparently close to signing Alessandro Nesta who just left Milan.
Such an underrated player - maybe be the best centre half I've ever seen play back when he joined Milan. No idea how his recent form has been, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
No chance would it have been like that 10 years ago, though. I don't want to drag open the old debate about 'real fans', because it's stupid and nobody ever wins out of it, but it just goes to show glory hunting is far from a dead art.
All I'm saying is that Chelsea has been more in the spotlight recently than Liverpool. The European leagues didn't start to get massive exposure on this side of the pond until like 2007.

Meier

He looks more like Del Piero's brother though!

IlT98.jpg
Is that Del Piero's wife or daughter? She looks too young to be his wife. :O Maybe a sister I guess if that's his mom and brother. Cute either way!

For me, I started following City quite awhile ago due to Noel and Liam but was a pretty casual fan. I've become more passionate about soccer/football in general in recent years due to playing more FIFA and Football Manager and playing some rec league stuff back in Chicago. I played in middle school but that was a long time ago and only for a year. I used to watch plenty of matches on Fox Soccer Channel at my parents when I'd be at their house (few times a year) but I didn't have it myself until we moved here to Austin (late 2010) which also made a big difference. My fiancee is more of a World Cup only type of viewer so she's sick of me taking the TV over on Saturday and Sunday mornings. :lol

Fur_Q

Like anything else really, use your head. America's massive, Newyork has a dedicated City bar, expats, family ties, niche sports on espn. Lot of Euro-Americans in U.S of A. Internet will propagate a lot more of it though. ESPN and Fox Soccer are pushing it hard I think, could be wrong though.

Salvadora

Like anything else really, use your head. America's massive, Newyork has a dedicated City bar, expats, family ties, niche sports on espn. Lot of Euro-Americans in U.S of A. Internet will propagate a lot more of it though. ESPN and Fox Soccer are pushing it hard I think, could be wrong though.

I think Football is huge with children in the U.S so it's natural they would follow the biggest teams with the best players.

Fur_Q

I think Football is huge with children in the U.S so it's natural they would follow the biggest teams with the best players.

That to but so was rounders with us and I couldn't give two fucks about baseball. Would be interested to know if a sizable amount of Italian-Americans follow Serie A-B etc sides especially after the 94 world cup.

jtb

Banned

yup, basically. I'm in america atm (mom's from london, dad's from bumfuck nowhere, us of a) and, especially on the east coast, there's huge enthusiasm for football - especially la liga and the premier league. I know ny (just because of how big it is, and the amount of diversity) and seattle are two of the biggest soccer markets in the US (seattle in particular gets premier league-like attendances in the MLS, rabid fans, great atmosphere) but my view might be skewed since I happen to be from seattle and live in ny - two heavily diverse cities. I'm sure as you move in from the coasts, your going to get a lot less interest in football; especially outside metropolitan areas.

first and second generation immigrants have definitely brought a lot more exposure to football in the us, particularly with the younger generations I think. tons of mexico, south korea, japan, italy
FUCK YOU GIUSEPPE ROSSI :mad:
fans in the last world cup in the us, that weren't just plastics, but actually immigrants from their respective countries; hell, they were probably larger in number (and certainly more passionate) than actual US fans within the country lol.

yup, basically. I'm in america atm (mom's from london, dad's from bumfuck nowhere, us of a) and, especially on the east coast, there's huge enthusiasm for football - especially la liga and the premier league. I know ny (just because of how big it is, and the amount of diversity) and seattle are two of the biggest soccer markets in the US (seattle in particular gets premier league-like attendances in the MLS, rabid fans, great atmosphere) but my view might be skewed since I happen to be from seattle and live in ny - two heavily diverse cities. I'm sure as you move in from the coasts, your going to get a lot less interest in football; especially outside metropolitan areas.

first and second generation immigrants have definitely brought a lot more exposure to football in the us, particularly with the younger generations I think. tons of mexico, south korea, japan, italy
FUCK YOU GUISSEPE ROSSI :mad:
fans in the last world cup in the us, that weren't just plastics, but actually immigrants from their respective countries; hell, they were probably larger in number (and certainly more passionate) than actual US fans within the country lol.

Rossi upsets me too. He's from fucking Jersey!

Eh, I'm definitely buying both the home and away with Del Piero's name + scudetto badge.

Waiting to see the quality of the kits from SoccerTriads of my Ale kit. I feel bad buying a fake kit and not supporting the squad but I can't afford the real thing as a student. If good, I'm buying the pink one as well. I think I'm honestly going to get Simone Pepe. I'm pretty sure at some point I said that if we win the scudetto I was going to get his name on a kit and I'm nothing if not a man of my word.

Next year, Del Piero home kit for sure because fuck you he's not retiring, and for the away kit it'll be between Marchisio, Vidal, or Pirlo. I refuse to buy a kit of any of our new potential signings because I'm just imagining how I'd feel if I bought a Krasic kit or, god forbidt, a Rinuado or Martinez kit from last year (god, just thinking about it... what the fuck were we doing? who the fuck was Rinuado?).

Fur_Q

Waiting to see the quality of the kits from SoccerTriads of my Ale kit. I feel bad buying a fake kit and not supporting the squad but I can't afford the real thing as a student. If good, I'm buying the pink one as well. I think I'm honestly going to get Simone Pepe. I'm pretty sure at some point I said that if we win the scudetto I was going to get his name on a kit and I'm nothing if not a man of my word.

Next year, Del Piero home kit for sure because fuck you he's not retiring, and for the away kit it'll be between Marchisio, Vidal, or Pirlo. I refuse to buy a kit of any of our new potential signings because I'm just imagining how I'd feel if I bought a Krasic kit or, god forbidt, a Rinuado or Martinez kit from last year (god, just thinking about it... what the fuck were we doing? who the fuck was Rinuado?).

Del Pierro is rumored to be joining his best friend Noel Gallagher on his world tour with High Flying Birds as a maraca player. He is quoted as saying "It isa ma lifah dreeam"

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
'The official verdict of 28 titles is farcical'

Thoughts fellow Juve-GAF? I'd love to hear the opinion of our italians in here who were knee deep in the crossfire during Calciopoli. It was hard to get news on this back then way over here.

This summed it up

FIGC chief prosecutor Stefano Palazzi stated last year that Inter were among a number of clubs who were guilty of sporting fraud on much greater levels than Juve were, the Statute of Limitations in Italy means that the designations of the 2004-05 and 2005-06 Scudetti remain as dictated by the 2006 Calciopoli trial. Therefore, while there is massive evidence that the Bianconeri's titles should not have been stripped - at least not in the favour of Inter as happened with the second Scudetto - there is nothing that can be done about the situation legally.
"During the first, rushed Calciopoli trial in 2006, transcripts were selectively entered into evidence in what can arguably be construed as a deliberate attempt to skew perception against Juventus. The Bianconeri, as it turns out, were never guilty of Article 6 match-fixing violations but, at worst, Article 1 – the creation of an appearance of impropriety – a standard so low that any defence attorney would cringe at the mere thought. And that isn’t even getting into any of the evidence regarding other teams’ involvement

And then we got massively fucked by the Statute of Limitations.

Clegg

United will sign Kagawa and Asamoah within 2 weeks of the transfer window opening.

Then we'll be done for the rest of the window.

I'd be happy enough with that tbh.

Chrono

Banned
From the previous thread...

A Brazilian too (Douglas). Only Williamson and Simpson are the only ones repping England in our first 11. Alan Pardeaux doesn't give a shit and neither do I.

Didn't he criticize arsen wenger for not having an 'english spine' in his teams? Someone in the media needs to call him out on his hypocrisy.

Wilbur

Banned
Someone's been editing the Wikipedia Calciopoli page, just went on to have a look haha.

"The scandal first came to light as a consequence of investigations of [[]] prosecutors on the Italian football agency GEA World. Transcripts of recorded telephone conversations published in Italian newspapers suggested that during the 2004–05 season and now again in 2012, Juventus general managers Luciano Moggiand Antonio Conte had conversations with several officials of Italian football to influence referee appointment."

"On 4 July 2006 and May 8 2012 , the Italian Football Federation's prosecutor, Stefano Palazzi, called for all four clubs at the centre of the match fixing scandal to be thrown out of Serie A. Palazzi called for Juventus to drop to at least Serie C1 (his statement read that Juventus should be sent "lower than Serie B," without a specific division stated) and for Fiorentina and Lazio to at least Serie B. He also asked for points penalties to be imposed (six for Juventus, three for Milan, and 15 for both Fiorentina and Lazio). The prosecutor also called for Juventus to be stripped of its 2005, 2006, 2012 titles.[2]"

Clegg

And this would be amazing. Asamoah's a fantastic player

Id be delighted if we signed those two players. But we seem to be in for Hazard right now. That transfer saga will go on for months and in the end he'll sign for City. We'll have spent so much time on Hazard that Kagawa and Asamaoh will have already moved clubs.

It's all too predictable.

LOL @ the Giuseppe Rossi hate.

The guy is an amazing footballer and is potentially world class depending on how he recovers from this injury. He had and has the opportunity to play for one of the best footballing nations in the world with a storied history and potentially win a world cup.

Let's not pretend he didn't make the right decision in preferring to play alongside Andrea Pirlo, Gianluigi Buffon, Claudio Marchisio, and Giorgio Chiellini
(y u no join Juve earlier?!?)
rather than footballing legends Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, and Edson Buddle.

Del Pierro is rumored to be joining his best friend Noel Gallagher on his world tour with High Flying Birds as a maraca player. He is quoted as saying "It isa ma lifah dreeam"

I like you Fur, but never do that again. :p

'The official verdict of 28 titles is farcical'

Thoughts fellow Juve-GAF? I'd love to hear the opinion of our italians in here who were knee deep in the crossfire during Calciopoli. It was hard to get news on this back then way over here.

For me, Calciopoli is rather simple. The editorial reminds people of Stefano Palazzi's opinion that Inter was just as guilty as Juve. It's a point worth reminding people regularly even if, in the past, posters like Dash have refused to believe that their former president Facchetti's hands were clean. And we know other squads have done similar things as well. The only difference is that Juve were successful on the pitch and Moggi and his legal team were arrogant in their defence.

The legal route is closed, but I think that's an arbitrary way of closing a debate that hasn't really stopped. I think if all the clubs examined their behaviour pre-2006 then they would all be guilty of some of the exact same things that Moggi has done. I don't remember who said it, but basically all that has happened is the type of referee influencing that used to happen with a phone call to the referee or the referee designator now happens with a call to la Gazzetta, il Corriere, and so on. Nothing has, fundamentally, changed in Italian football and I think that point is applicable more broadly to all European football leagues. If the FIGC has a serious issue with our three stars to the point that it wants to block putting some yellow string on a shirt, then it's only fair that we make this a real thing and re-open the debate so that all sides are considered unconstrained by bullshit legal proceedings.

In any case, nobody has ever shown me conclusively that Juventus actually benefited in any serious way from undue influence on the referees in the seasons in question. Inter fans can show me Youtube clips of shoulder tackles in the box until they are black and blue in the face, but in the end we beat Milan, another team who apparently influenced referees, by eight points. Inter was 15 fucking points behind. Moggi must either have been incredibly proficient in his sexual favours, or Inter were just incapable of competing with a stellar Juventus side.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
According to the FIGC anyway, no games were ever fixed. It was all about talking to the ref designator. It was legal back then, everyone was doing it, and it was actually...encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom