• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeegsD

Patricio coming out and Tiago is going into the net for the last few minutes. He is 37 yo and will probbaly retire after this season. He hasn't been a choice since 08-09 and the only person on the team that has won a national title.

Arnie

That's like... refusing to have sex with a hot woman that wants you.

But having sex with a hot woman will produce an extreme orgasm; watching Them Crooked Vultures play some very dull, one note music whilst you're sandwiched between a crowd of pretentious music buffs sipping hip flasks isn't a comparable experience.

Live music is one of life's biggest mysteries to me. I won't say 'greatest' because live music is consequently pointless. Why watch something that's completely aural? The greatest visual stimulus you're likely to see is some fancy lighting, and even that's a dull proposition.

I've been to plenty of gigs, and three festivals, and I've mostly done it for the experience with my mates or because there was nothing better to be doing that evening.

It's not like watching a football match, or going to the cinema. There is no visual stimulus. It's just a bunch of twats stood in a room bobbing along to something they've probably already heard in the car whilst driving to the gig. Fucking stupid.

And realistically live music is often dull as fuck

This so bad. It's 75% waiting around, 15% new stuff that you don't want to hear, 5% 'sing it yourself' and 5% going just to let everyone else know you've 'seen them live'.

I did see New Order in Manchester a few weeks ago, however.

Also, that 'festivaling' is an actual word irritates me greatly.

WJD

But having sex with a hot woman will produce an extreme orgasm; watching Them Crooked Vultures play some very dull, one note music whilst you're sandwiched between a crowd of pretentious music buffs sipping hip flasks isn't a comparable experience.

Oi, I was in that crowd!

Hixx

Live music is one of life's biggest mysteries to me. I won't say 'greatest' because live music is consequently pointless. Why watch something that's completely aural? The greatest visual stimulus you're likely to see is some fancy lighting, and even that's a dull proposition.

I've been to plenty of gigs, and three festivals, and I've mostly done it for the experience with my mates or because there was nothing better to be doing that evening.

It's not like watching a football match, or going to the cinema. There is no visual stimulus. It's just a bunch of twats stood in a room bobbing along to something they've probably already heard in the car whilst driving to the gig. Fucking stupid.

da fuck are you even on about

MPW

Al-Sadd announce Raul signing.

good luck to raul there

546305_10150936644625943_748655942_12147449_1517571014_n.jpg

man, i miss watching zizzou play

Arnie

Oi, I was in that crowd!
And I'd much rather have sat and had a few cans of cider with you than stood around pretending to enjoy myself whilst everyone fawns over Dave Grohl.
da fuck are you even on about
Quite like the Foo Fighters their music bores me to absolute tears. Similarly you can add Kasabian (outside of the PES classics), The Enemy and more recently Arctic Monkeys to that list. The first Arctic Monkeys album was stellar though, but then they grew too big for their boots and replaced the down to earth lyrics with drug induced shite.

TeegsD

I just don't even know

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This so bad. It's 75% waiting around, 15% new stuff that you don't want to hear, 5% 'sing it yourself' and 5% going just to let everyone else know you've 'seen them live'.

I did see New Order in Manchester a few weeks ago, however.

Also, that 'festivaling' is an actual word irritates me greatly.

That's mostly true.

Unless it's rock ;)

For some reason this whole thing has made me lose a bit of respect for Raul.

He spends his last two years at Schalke. It doesn't get worse than that.

Also, some guys saying that Shinji said "yes" to the "Was it your last match for BVB" question. I can't confirm that, though. The interviews were a mess because most of our players were there and were just screaming, singing and talking shit lol.

I still don't get why he'll leave, though. He just turned 23, he still could go to United in two years. The whole team sang the Kagawa Shinji song in the interview, we fans love him and we're no shit club either. I guess we just have to accept that he has some kind of sick mind in which it only matters to play for a big Premier League club. I just hope his first year at United will work out better than Nuri's first year at Madrid.

Clegg

I think Arctic Monkeys are a much better band now than they were 5 years ago.

Kasabian aren't very good though. They can write some very good tracks but only 2 or 3 per album. The rest is all filler.

elsk

Banned
He spends his last two years at Schalke. It doesn't get worse than that.

Also, some guys saying that Shinji said "yes" to the "Was it your last match for BVB" question. I can't confirm that, though. The interviews were a mess because most of our players were there and were just screaming, singing and talking shit lol.

I still don't get why he'll leave, though. He just turned 23, he still could go to United in two years. The whole team sang the Kagawa Shinji song in the interview, we fans love him and we're no shit club either. I guess we just have to accept that he has some kind of sick mind in which it only matters to play for a big Premier League club. I just hope his first year at United will work out better than Nuri's first year at Madrid.

It would be kind of funny if a Manchester United-Dortmund group happens and they get eliminated with Shinji. I understand in some countries La Liga or EPL are bigger than Serie A or Bundesliga, but that's from a viewer perspective... a player shouldn't make a decision like that based on the popularity of a league in his country. Dortmund pays him, they gave him a chance in Europe, they're one of the best sides in Europe atm, has a huge fan base, and will be playing CL next season it really doesn't get better than that.

Dortmund is a better side than Manchester United right now anyway.

Kasabian aren't very good though. They can write some very good tracks but only 2 or 3 per album. The rest is all filler.
Have you heard the new Arctic Monkeys track R U Mine? It's bloody amazing. And you're right about Kasabian, only West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum has more good songs than bad songs on the album.

Arnie

I feel like Don Draper, I'm just so out of touch with music culture it's frightening. There are millions of things I'd rather be doing with my time than watching music. Which is a fucking oxymoron in itself.

I'd rather be in the Away support for our completely pointless trip to Swansea tomorrow than watch any live music in the world, from any musical artist that ever lived. If Morrissey walked past me in a shop the only reason I'd stop is to tell him how inflated his sense of self worth is; conversely my best friend would get him to autograph his arm, which he would then tattoo over.

Music is an industry where people with very little talent can go very far.

Naw man, Dylan doesn't supply much of a "visual stimulus."
When live? You're absolutely right. He'd just sit there brooding with his guitar.

At least Bowie puts on a show. And makes better music.

Wilbur

Banned

Agree with both. Humbug's a great album.

And Kasabian will be good to see at Reading I think, but Cure and SBTRKT are the ones I'm looking forward to most.

I think the thing with live music is that it obviously is drastically different. You've got people singing along, jumping up and down, and then for instance when I saw Pulp, Jarvis Cocker kept talking to the audience. And then when I saw Dylan, it's a chance for me to hear his old songs done in his new growly voice, with different instruments and styles than originally done.

WJD

another fucking hell

fucking hell I hate exam time. I could be out but instead I'm stuck in my room sipping Jack & Coke and attempting to critique Parliamentary sovereignty in the modern United Kingdom.

AND the football season finishes tomorrow

Indeed! Can't wait to see what they do next, If it's anything like R U Mine? and Evil Twin I will be a very happy man. Homme's influence on them since he started producing has been great for them. Great live too!

Have you heard the new Arctic Monkeys track R U Mine? It's bloody amazing. And you're right about Kasabian, only West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum has more good songs that bad songs on the album.

Kasabian are good fun live, I like their past two albums but I'm not a big fan of their early stuff.

I can name a lot of things better

Go on..............

Arnie

I've been sat at my desk staring at Microsoft Word for hours. I did have a nap and watch The Fellowship of the Ring before too, and now my housemates are preparing to watch The Two Towers. Could grab a ham and houmous butty and join them, although I'll feel bad in the morning.

Arnie

I won't join this crusade against music.

You don't need to mate, people vote with their wallets and I'm glad society as a cumulative beast is giving it the appropriate level of financial reward as it deserves. If people want to pursue music as a career then I want them to earn minimum wage, but get their travel and accommodation for tours and festivals reimbursed.

Yup, its a banging tune.

Suck It and See is probably my favourite Arctic Monkeys track from their latest album.

And Jewellers Hands is probably their most under rated dong.
I think I need to give Humbug a good listen some time. I liked Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not and Favourite Worst Nightmare a lot. Just haven't listened to their latest two albums that much. And hot damn, if R U Mine won't be my favorite track this year than I don't know what will. Might even be my favorite Arctic Monkeys tune.

Messi

wow, it was so close for us. In the last four years, Barça (the best team ever, imo) wasn't able to beat us here.

Viva el Betis!

betis-escudo-mortero.jpg

Always a fantastic team to play against. I was at the Barca vs Betis game in the nou camp this season. Thanks for the uncomfortable 30 mins when you made it 2-2

Clegg

I think I need to give Humbug a good listen some time. I liked Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not and Favourite Worst Nightmare a lot. Just haven't listened to their latest two albums that much. And hot damn, if R U Mine won't be my favorite track this year than I don't know what will. Might even be my favorite Arctic Monkeys tune.

Have you heard Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair?

It's from their latest album and is very similar in style to Are U Mine?

At least we can all agree that film is the highest form of art, right? RIGHT?
I've seen lots of great movies, and by lots I mean a fuck ton. I really enjoy sitting down to watch a great film, but that's also the only downside compared to music: you have to sit down and watch. Music, however, can be listened on the go on your mp3 player. Even when your doing some other random task you can enjoy the latest music.

Have you heard Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair?

It's from their latest album and is very similar in style to Are U Mine?
Yep, my favourite of the album. I've flicked through the album when it came out and gave every track a short listen. Don't Sit Down, Brick by Brick and Suck it and See just sprung out. Don't Sit Down being my favourite, I haven't really listened to the rest of the album.

Quite funny, Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair was the track I recommended to a friend when I was talking about the Arctic Monkeys. He's a fan now too. :)

fuenf

It would be kind of funny if a Manchester United-Dortmund group happens and they get eliminated with Shinji. I understand in some countries La Liga or EPL are bigger than Serie A or Bundesliga, but that's from a viewer perspective... a player shouldn't make a decision like that based on the popularity of a league in his country. Dortmund pays him, they're one of the best sides in Europe atm, has a huge fan base, and will be playing CL next season it really doesn't get better than that.

Dortmund is a better side than Manchester United right now anyway.

If i may add my 2cents. Even as a Bayern fan i have to admit that i like Kagawa as a football player. 2years ago, when Dortmund bought him and he played his first games in the qualification rounds of the Europa League, he was the star of a Cinderella story. Back then nobody could even imagine how succesful he or Dortmund would be, seeing him thrive at Dortmund was a little bit like watching Captain Tsubasa. I thought that he'd be forever grateful that Dortmund gave him a shot and would always play for them. I mean eventhough he was nothing more than a project Klopp trusted him and build him up as a football player. It's really sad/illogical to see him move on.

Go on..............

Loads of things

Going on the footy
Going on a holiday with the family
Going for a top meal
Going to see a good comedian
Anything involving my boy and wife

I could expand that last one vastly but that's just a few quick examples

Each to their own though but I'd rather sit in and chill and watch a good film than watch a band personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom