• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proceed with caution, tabloid news incoming...

So apparently Jermaine Defoe cheated on his girlfriend with this lovely lady:
tXNbI.jpg

Oh dear.

Ashes

Banned
Thats under Drama and of course plays & drama are high art, film sometimes tries to latch on to it, like a lamprey, but its fooling nobody.

Opinions are subjective of course. There is no right or wrong way to order the arts - one man's taste in literature, is different to another woman's taste in music.

Having said that, dramas should be under plays, if at all, not the other way around.

rodvik

Opinions are subjective of course. There is no right or wrong way to order the arts - one man's taste in literature, is different to another woman's taste in music.

Having said that, dramas should be under plays, if at all, not the other way around.

Completely fair point.

Pffffft. Go back a little way and you would get punched in the face for distinguishing between poetry and song.

Hmm, kinda conceded, but a little way back is what before Elizabethan England? But for sure they have been entangled or had a common root in the past

Beats keeping up a quasi-Gregorian chant of "fuck fuck doomed doomed fuck fuck" all summer.

I think the Dembele bid is drivel. His agent has probably put that out there, if anyone has.
Yeah I don't think there's any truth to that.

Berbatov's agent said that United won't let him move for "pennies". I think his contract has been extended for that extra year. He said that unless we get an offer that the club are happy with Berbatov will stay another year. I think we should just let him go tbh but I can see why the club wants some money for him. We shouldn't have signed him initially IMO, not for the money we paid.

Ashes

Banned
Completely fair point.

And Salazar is right. Poetry falls under literature. Maybe you meant prose? Novels and short stories fall under prose.

Poetry, prose are the types of literature. Which fall under fiction and non-fiction.

I would personally add design to the art high table. But let's not open that can of worms. :/

Facism

Gold Member
I don't get the playoff thing.. was it a multiple team playoff?

They took the top 4 teams, halved their points and made them play each other again, twice.

It's so they could milk more money out of ppv and ligtv subscriptions. What's funny is the final standings are the same as they were before the "playoffs" lol.

sneaky77

They took the top 4 teams, halved their points and made them play each other again, twice.

It's so they could milk more money out of ppv and ligtv subscriptions. What's funny is the final standings are the same as they were before the "playoffs" lol.

That's a ridiculous concept.. what is this, MLS? lol

TeegsD

Week? This day is dragging it's feet.

Yeah today has gone by so slowly. Tomorrow's matches will choose how the rest of my day will go. If Man City fuck it up and we capitalize, I will have the biggest of smiles all day. If City win, I will just sulk. If City fuck up and then we fuck up....well then...I just don't even know

Yeah today has gone by so slowly. Tomorrow's matches will choose how the rest of my day will go. If Man City fuck it up and we capitalize, I will have the biggest of smiles all day. If City win, I will just sulk. If City fuck up and then we fuck up....well then...I just don't even know

If we lose after City loses...

I won't even have the heart left to be mad, I will probably just go have myself a good cry.

Clegg

Beats keeping up a quasi-Gregorian chant of "fuck fuck doomed doomed fuck fuck" all summer.

I think the Dembele bid is drivel. His agent has probably put that out there, if anyone has.

Its from the Daily Mail so take it with a very liberal amount of salt.

United line up £10m Dembele bid as major rebuilding begins in earnest
By ROB DRAPER
Manchester United are considering a £10million bid for Fulham's attacking midfielder Mousa Dembele with Paul Scholes still to make a decision over whether he will play on next season.
United are expected to start rebuilding in the likely event of losing their Premier League title to Manchester City and Dembele is in line to be the first of a number of signings.
The 24-year-old Belgium midfielder has made a huge impression since his £5m move from AZ Alkmaar in 2010 and he has been a revelation following Fulham manager Martin Jol's decision to drop him back into a deeper central-midfield role in the 2-1 win over Stoke in February.
He has only scored twice this season but has been instrumental in Fulham's rise to ninth and is seen as a ready-made replacement for Scholes, 37.

With Lille's attacking midfielder Eden Hazard - who has just been voted player of the year in the French League - likely to join City, Ferguson must find cover for Darren Fletcher, who has a long-term illness, and Tom Cleverley, who has been prone to injury problems throughout the current campaign.
The United boss is known to covet Borussia Dortmund midfielder Shinji Kagawa and flew to Germany on Saturday to watch the Japanese international, who scored the opening goal in their 5-2 win over Bayern Munich in the German Cup Final.
Ferguson, also interested in Kagawa's team-mate Mario Goetze, will have talks with Scholes in an attempt to persuade him to extend his comeback for another season and has been full of praise for the way the veteran slotted into the side after reversing his decision to retire after five months on the coaching staff.

'I will speak to Paul,' said Ferguson. 'Obviously he made a tremendous contribution when he came back. But it was his decision to return and I will respect whatever he wants to do.
'I haven't discussed it with him yet, to be honest. I think I made that mistake last season, talking to him before the season had finished. 'It is better getting the season over and having a break and I may not speak to him before he has been away on holiday.'

Salazar

Its from the Daily Mail so take it with a very liberal amount of salt.

"Seen as a ready-made replacement for Scholes" my fucking foot.

Once these little cadet journalists write their first sentence in which they presume to be able to read the minds of football managers, it's all fucking over. The deal is done. They just write endless, endless shite for the rest of their shite careers with no whiff of compunction or self-respect.

And knowing exactly fuck all about football doesn't help.

rodvik

And Salazar is right. Poetry falls under literature. Maybe you meant prose? Novels and short stories fall under prose.

Poetry, prose are the types of literature. Which fall under fiction and non-fiction.

I would personally add design to the art high table. But let's not open that can of worms. :/

I did. I posted fast and in the white heat of the art debate. My error there. Sorry.

Design is a really interesting one. Not sure what my opinion is there to be honest. I think art needs intent though. I think the 21s century art theory stuff, that artists are now beyond forms and use whatever tools they want should also be in the discussion somewhere.

Anyways fun chat.

rodvik

"Seen as a ready-made replacement for Scholes" my fucking foot.

Once these little cadet journalists write their first sentence in which they presume to be able to read the minds of football managers, it's all fucking over. The deal is done. They just write endless, endless shite for the rest of their shite careers with no whiff of compunction or self-respect.

And knowing exactly fuck all about football doesn't help.

I just want to say seeing your post get longer and longer each time you edited and with (justified) increased rage towards the shit sports press was awesome :)

Ashes

Banned
I did. I posted fast and in the white heat of the art debate. My error there. Sorry.

Design is a really interesting one. Not sure what my opinion is there to be honest. I think art needs intent though. I think the 21s century art theory stuff, that artists are now beyond forms and use whatever tools they want should also be in the discussion somewhere.

Anyways fun chat.

Fair enough. You posted on a gaming forum's Off topic section's community part's football thread. ;)

Edit: less than 12 hours to go. I think I'm gonna go paint-ball shooting after the match at 3pm.

Salazar

Edit: less than 12 hours to go. I think I'm gonna go paint-ball shooting after the match at 3pm.

It will be very early morning for me. Which means I sleep or I walk down to the beach with a torch and stand knee deep in the waves, staring out to sea until the sun comes up.

And swearing.

Lightning

Banned
It will be very early morning for me. Which means I sleep or I walk down to the beach with a torch and stand knee deep in the waves, staring out to sea until the sun comes up.

And swearing.
I am going to sleep through it, I don't know if I can bear to watch us not win this game...

rodvik

Fair enough. You posted on a gaming forum's Off topic section's community part's football thread. ;)

And swearing.

Ayup. 9pm here. Gonna be up bright and early to enjoy the last Villa game of the season. It is meaningless (unless a catastophe occurs) so I intend to sit back and enjoy the game. With any luck the lads will play with the brake off.

Ashes

Banned
I don't see why mid- table teams don't do that more often:

* if you have nothing to lose and Nothing to gain, go for exotic formations, or execute v. Risky attacking tactics.

rodvik

I din't see why mid- table teams don't do that more often:

* if you have nothing to lose and Nothing to gain, go for exotic formations, or execute v. Risky attacking tactics.

I completely agree. It is why it is so frustrating when we play such dour stuff. I dream of Villa trotting out playing a 4-2-4 and just going for it. If we lose 3-0 instead of 1-0 who cares? At least it will be thrilling.

edit: Defoes paramour.
would

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What are the best podcasts on the sport? I want to listen to some on my drive tomorrow before the games. I downloaded The Football Ramble so far.

ATF487

What are the best podcasts on the sport? I want to listen to some on my drive tomorrow before the games. I downloaded The Football Ramble so far.

The Ramble is really good, I usually do a one two punch of that and the Guardian's Football Weekly. The former has awesome player profiles and is hilarious, but the latter is more current and has the best host of all time (James Richardson)

Meier

9 hours to go. Can't decide if I should wake up a little earlier and drive to a pub (about 20 mins away) that is playing all 10 matches or what..never been drinking that early in the morning, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom