• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

You can't say it wasn't deserved. Everton were the 4th best team in the league this season.
I'm more commenting on the fact that he's making such a big deal out of it to be honest. As if the entire aim of the season season wasn't to win trophies, or get into Europe, but to finish above Liverpool. Sad.

Huh? There is no day to have. It's all meaningless.

I live with two Everton fans - Wembley was everything. Of course there will be sly digs thrown around about our spending and signing and rightfully so (happens every day) but at the end of the day Everton have had a nothing season.
Wembley was meaningless too since Liverpool failed to show up in the final.

Everton had a decent season.

Lightning

Banned
The Arsenal fans are cracking me up in this thread.
At the start of the year 3rd was out of the question for us but we've achieved it. Beating spurs is not what's important, maintaining CL football is very important, but this is a massive achievement given the nightmare that was our summer last year. Obviously we want more and no one is denying that but we've known for months that we're not winning silverware this season but it's not like Utd are finishing the season with anything.

I couldn't care less about the CL final anymore. We've got our spot for next season.

I have no love for Manchester City but Congratulations to them and their fans. The gif Sunhi posted gave me chills Especially happy for ManC-GAF. Great group of lads we have :)

I couldn't watch the games. How exactly did it end?

Scum

Seriously though congrats city it's fully deserved and I hope everyone is big enough to admit that

I don't know why more people aren't focussing on my win though it may only be £60 but I beat the system

I hope you enjoy tonight guys

But Jeff. £60, man! £60!

Calm down about Fergie. Of course he's going to be bitter right now. It is killing him.

But he's spot on, congrats to City and whoever wins it deserves it.

United have won enough titles with people saying they didn't deserve it or got lucky or were helped. That's just football fans.

TeegsD

Forgot to turn the TV off downstairs and now I can hear the City celebrations from upstairs. Fuck. I'm just going to drown it out with some Alanis Morissette

Clegg

Sir Alex Ferguson speaking after the game away at Sunderland: "Nobody expected that. Everybody expected City to win, but they did it against 10 men for half an hour and with five extra minutes to help them.

"But I congratulate City on winning the league. Anybody who wins it deserves it, because it's a long haul. At the end of our game our players didn't actually know the results. Now, they're really disappointed, I'm glad to say.

"There's no other way they should be. They conducted themselves brilliantly today. Their performance level was good. I'm pleased at our performance this season. 89 points would win most league. It wasn't our turn today."

Complaining about stoppage time, Really?

He's deflecting the blame from his players.

We blew an 8 point lead with 1 month left to go. He's not going to slate them publicly.

And he congratulated City. It's not like he said they didn't deserve it.

Getting above Spurs matters. Like properly matters.

17th year in a row!

At the start of the year 3rd was out of the question for us but we've achieved it. Beating spurs is not what's important, maintaining CL football is very important, but this is a massive achievement given the nightmare that was our summer last year. Obviously we want more and no one is denying that but we've known for months that we're not winning silverware this season but it's not like Utd are finishing the season with anything.

I couldn't care less about the CL final anymore. We've got our spot for next season.

Well said!

Actually if Chelsea win, Arsenal will need to go through the qualifying stages which is kinda nuts.

REDEEMED!

tVps6.jpg

Hearing about City's backroom staff (and watching this on the telly) it's no wonder Ian Ayre's allegedly in the firing line.

Is he really on the firing line? I'm a bit surprised considering all the money he has brought in for the club.

"City had to do it against 10 men for half an hour and had 5 minutes of injury-time to help them.”

He did :lol

That Gif is brilliant :D

Old whiskey nose complaining about stoppage time. Not enough salt to heal this wound for him.

Plasma

Banned
Quotes from Alex McLeish:

"It was an absolutely shocking, woeful display. Maybe some of the boys were thinking about their holidays already.

"That team needs a change and there will be change. That wasn't an Alex McLeish team today. We need to bring more quality into the squad."

So are Villa going to get even worse next season?

flyover

Hate City, but they've got some players I love. Congrats to Kompany, Silva, Aguero, and Yaya. They were all massive this season.

Gonna go wank in the shower and hit the library. Might run through the silent area shouting Aguero's name to antagonise all the wank arse United fans.

The expected class and dignity of a scouser. We lost the league but at least we weren't the laughing stock. Keep trying to justify the worst season your team has had since women could vote.

Is he really on the firing line? I'm a bit surprised considering all the money he has brought in for the club.

No idea if there's anything in it, but it's more to do with how the club conducted themselves during the Suarez episode. Feels like they're sacking everyone they can without going ahead with the one that matters.

Also..

Hey Jude?

K1LLER7

We can thank Barton for those last 5 minuets :(

Never rely on another team if your going for the title. Dropping 8 points and drawing the Everton game was the biggest blow.

Jezbollah

Quality tweet by Ricky Gervais:

rickygervais: “@piersmorgan: God answered my prayer- #Arsenal #KeepTheFaith”

How do you know he heard your prayer?
He might have your phone tapped.
Haha

Sanjay

I'm more commenting on the fact that he's making such a big deal out of it to be honest. As if the entire aim of the season season wasn't to win trophies, or get into Europe, but to finish above Liverpool. Sad.

The entire aim of the season wasn't to win trophies, or get into Europe, but to hope for Man Utd not to win the league. Liverpool fans, sad.

Let Everton & City enjoy their day, both great achievements for their clubs.

Russian League season just ended. Spartak Moscow came second and qualified for the Champion's League. Lets see what Unai Emery can do with this sorry bunch next season.

Soi-Fong

Sir Alex Ferguson speaking after the game away at Sunderland: "Nobody expected that. Everybody expected City to win, but they did it against 10 men for half an hour and with five extra minutes to help them.

"But I congratulate City on winning the league. Anybody who wins it deserves it, because it's a long haul. At the end of our game our players didn't actually know the results. Now, they're really disappointed, I'm glad to say.

"There's no other way they should be. They conducted themselves brilliantly today. Their performance level was good. I'm pleased at our performance this season. 89 points would win most league. It wasn't our turn today."

Complaining about stoppage time, Really?

Oh please, a squad of that magnitude having trouble against a side with only 10 men on the pitch that was surely going to get relegated; I think Fergie has a right to call them out on that.

Result could be different if Barton wasn't such a tool and made a huge deal about the red card.

While City do deserve it this season, they seriously did need those extra 5 min.

Either way, still a bit pathetic from City for not being able to get a bigger goal margin against a side such as QPR.

And also, City fans are sooo weird... Seriously calling out Dzeko when he saved City's butt at death. lol

PaulLFC

The entire aim of the season wasn't to win trophies, or get into Europe, but to hope for Man Utd not to win the league. Liverpool fans, sad.

Let Everton & City enjoy their day, both great achievements for their clubs.
What on earth are you talking about? Two finals, one trophy, and, albeit through the cup win, into Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom