• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
di-2e69ufaxd.gif

This day just keeps on giving!

Wilbur

Banned
More Barton... can't be bothered to screen cap but will copy and paste:

I'd take it off Hansen and @GaryLineker but not from that bell, same fella that stamped on Neil Lennon,then threatened FA if they banned him

...That he would retire from international football. No sorry, not having him, never have. Selfish, boring man him. He can do one...

My favourite memory of him though is when he dropped his spuds when Keano put it on him. Goodnight Al, sleep well matey...

AND THAT GIF IS INCREDIBLE

Bumhead

Banned
I'm sure Shearer will sleep very well, what with knowing he's achieved far more in the game than Joey Barton ever has or ever will.

Well guys I just watched Rovers last appearance on MOTD...it's over

I know we have next week but I hope we can keep the community going in here over the summer but it may be harder with having a seperate euros thread.

Despite the outcome for us id just like to say its been a pleasure

Jeff out

Hixx

I'll probably post in here

They chuck us in da ghetto and then want our special events in the OT. Shit aint gon fly

iEXWz9iTNozaw.gif

also someone in the Diablo OT has 1000 posts. In, 3/4 days. Kyoufu's got nowt on him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

I know we have next week but I hope we can keep the community going in here over the summer but it may be harder with having a seperate euros thread.

Jeff out

I'll be posting the weekly MLS schedule in here and pre-match reminders in case people want to watch and discuss the league in here!

Oh man I forgot that gif, Hixx. Too good.

rodvik

He's still talking like he expects to be here. Ripping into the squad and saying that wasn't an Alex McLeish squad? Everything's on him this season. A shite manager.

Who do you want in replacement?

What about you Jeff, who do you realistically want/think you can get?

Its the big question. We cant attract as good managers as we could last season so its going to be hard. Fan favourites are Curbishly, Martinez & Lambert. I dont fancy any them to be honest although I would take them over McLeish.

The likes of AVB & Rafar are probably beyond us now.

I would love Maradona for the lulz but I am in a minority maybe a spanish manager or Brendan Rodgers but its very unlikely.

Dunno. Its going to be an uphill battle. I almost expect Steve Bruce, Neil Warnock or Big Mick at this point given the boards track record.

Wilbur

Banned

Jeff out

Jeff in Jeff in! I'm staying in here. Always a bunch of shit to talk about.

Hixx

It'll probably be Lambert and he'll do well imo. Won't be Martinez after turning you's down last season, don't think Lerner will be too keen to go back to him again.

sneaky77

we're having a separate thread for the euros fuck that shit.. why wouldn't people post here also anyway, euros, transfer rumors, next season will be here before we know it (I hope)

Hixx

we're having a separate thread for the euros fuck that shit.. why wouldn't people post here also anyway, euros, transfer rumors, next season will be here before we know it (I hope)

It's only 2 and a half months and in the next month and a half we have the CL final, loads of international friendlies and the Euros. It'll be alright. Then we'll be into pre-season!

rodvik

It'll probably be Lambert and he'll do well imo. Won't be Martinez after turning you's down last season, don't think Lerner will be too keen to go back to him again.

Yeah Lambert wouldnt be bad Martinez just doesnt convince me. He has never done as well as Bruce with Wigan despite the media love in for him.

Hixx

Yeah Lambert wouldnt be bad Martinez just doesnt convince me. He has never done as well as Bruce with Wigan despite the media love in for him.

This has bothered me too - people are saying it's Wigan's best ever season when it's not. Bruce had them finishing 11th the season before he joined us.

Wilbur

Banned
The best way to stick it to a chelsea fan :lol

When he's celebrating Chelsea's win next week I'll be sure to remind him I've had my dick up his daughter's arse. Let's see how long he cares about the Champions League.

I'll be chatting my usual inane shite in here throughout the summer even if it's just me and you little bro

Can't wait. We can Photoshop Kean's head onto JC on the crucifix
but without the martyr part

We should boycott the Euro thread and have it in here

Fintan

Wow what a day! I was in a pub filled with United Supporters,people who didn't want United to win, and two City fans. It was pretty crazy, I didn't care much who won but running between the two screens to keep track was awesome. Once the whistle blew in the United game all the fans ran over to the screen showing the City game. The combination of United fans yelling in disappointment and everyone else laughing was sort of awesome. I was mostly concerned with my bet (damn you Liverpool and Newcastle).

Anyway onto the Champion's League Final. What's the latest on David Luiz and Gary Cahill?

Wilbur

Banned
This has bothered me too - people are saying it's Wigan's best ever season when it's not. Bruce had them finishing 11th the season before he joined us.

Remember their first season? They were second at Christmas or something and got to the Carling Cup final. That was incredible. How the fuck did Paul Jewell do that?

Hixx

Remember their first season? They were second at Christmas or something and got to the Carling Cup final. That was incredible. How the fuck did Paul Jewell do that?

Dunno. All went a bit pear-shaped when he was on the cover of a paper giving it to some prozzy tho.

Wessiej

Seperate Euro threads are awesome guys. First you got the normal Euro thread, and then because GAF will explode like 2 years ago seperate threads for the semi finals and final. Hooray EUROS.

Arnie

Just seen that article on the Guardian about Scholes being receptive to an England offer. Hope Hodgson at least speaks to him.

Sat through MOTD. Watched all the City title celebrations. Couple of the interviews too. Watched that clip of Merson on Soccer Saturday too.

Partly because it's just a sensational moment in sport. Mainly because the sour moments make the better ones all that much sweeter. This was City's moment. We better win it back next year. We better.

This feel different to when Chelsea won it back in 05. That felt like they would take over completely, like we couldn't get close to them. I really feel like we can this this title next season, and I'm sure City are going to spend and with their experience of this year, they'll be better for it...but I really feel like we can come back stronger next time around. It's gonna be a heck of a rivalry if we can make the necessary improvements to our side.

Just seen that article on the Guardian about Scholes being receptive to an England offer. Hope Hodgson at least speaks to him.
Really? I don't know. He's my favouritest person ever and it's been so incredible to have him back and watch him put in some sterling displays...but...I don't know. I feel he should stay retired...

rodvik

Yeah it was amazing. If anything Martinez has dragged them down into the relegation zone every year. I also dont get this bollocks about him having them playing great football. For most games I see it looks like the standard lower table dross to me.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

Someone's already ripped it and uploaded it to YouTube!

Seperate Euro threads are awesome guys. First you got the normal Euro thread, and then because GAF will explode like 2 years ago seperate threads for the semi finals and final. Hooray EUROS.

I forgot what I was doing but my brain told me "Hey, the World Cup is 2 years away!" and I got all giddy for what that will bring. Flags by names, meltdowns, criticism of refs, etc. It's gonna be great!

Wilbur

Banned
Sat through MOTD. Watched all the City title celebrations. Couple of the interviews too. Watched that clip of Merson on Soccer Saturday too.

Partly because it's just a sensational moment in sport. Mainly because the sour moments make the better ones all that much sweeter. This was City's moment. We better win it back next year. We better.

This feel different to when Chelsea won it back in 05. That felt like they would take over completely, like we couldn't get close to them. I really feel like we can this this title next season, and I'm sure City are going to spend and with their experience of this year, they'll be better for it...but I really feel like we can come back stronger next time around. It's gonna be a heck of a rivalry if we can make the necessary improvements to our side.

This is true. The reason it's so gutting is because we were so close today, but it was Mourinho who put the fear of God into me in 2005. They were so far ahead of everyone else, and we were very average. But we lost because of 8 goals here and there, and Mancini doesn't worry me as much as Jose did. We'll be back.

Dibbz

The Euro thread should just contain one massive link, in the OP, to the community section.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah it was amazing. If anything Martinez has dragged them down into the relegation zone every year. I also dont get this bollocks about him having them playing great football. For most games I see it looks like the standard lower table dross to me.

I think they play better football than they did under Bruce and Jewell, but it's naive considering the strength of their squad. Their midfield's very strong and their frontline okay, but to play they way they want to play they should have competent defenders that can play it out from the back as well as actually stop goals. They don't have that.

Martinez is a bright young manager though.

Kozak

Banned
Podolski's a more than adequate replacement; he's much better centrally than on the wing

I agree. Podolski is actually a better player than what a lot of people seem to think (especially this thread).

He may not be as good as RVP but he is a hell lot better than the rest of Arsenal's strikers. He'd do a better job than Gervinho and Walcott on wing too.

rodvik

I think they play better football than they did under Bruce and Jewell, but it's naive considering the strength of their squad. Their midfield's very strong and their frontline okay, but to play they way they want to play they should have competent defenders that can play it out from the back as well as actually stop goals. They don't have that.

Martinez is a bright young manager though.

Yeah he could end up doing well somewhere. It still grates that the press fawn over him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom