• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

Disappointment in Chelsea's league finish (and lack of confidence regarding Munich) aside, this has been a magnificent season, one of the best I've ever witnessed. The final day of the PL was a great advertisement for the sport and the league in general. So much drama, so many memorable moments...glad Euro 2012 is there to tide things over a bit.

Arnie

Really? I don't know. He's my favouritest person ever and it's been so incredible to have him back and watch him put in some sterling displays...but...I don't know. I feel he should stay retired...
I'd like him to have one last chance in the national team. Gerrard's fitness is all over the place, Parker might be out, Lampard's fat, Barry's boring and Scholes is actually technically the best passer out of all of them. I'd have him in, if at least to shit up the Spaniards.

That's fucking hilarious. The music kills me.

Guys I know it will be nothing for most of you but if you have the time please sign our petition to mrs Desai, the website I mod on has some info she is wavering and could be perseuded to sack Kean and there is a way that to get this handed to her personally tomorrow

You don't have to be a member

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/2012/05/12/petition/

Thank you
Signed. I also posted it in the "English Football Thread" of TalkChelsea, the forum I use, with a short message explaining about yourself what it's about. So hopefully you can get a few names from there too.

elsk

Banned
I agree. Podolski is actually a better player than what a lot of people seem to think (especially this thread).

He may not be as good as RVP but he is a hell lot better than the rest of Arsenal's strikers. He'd do a better job than Gervinho and Walcott on wing too.

Yes to the first part. No to the last part. He really sucks on the wing.

Arnie

The question on everyones mind.

Would United have won with Vidic and Cleverly fit all season?

/doicarebait

Cleverley, no, because he's average.

/Salazarbait

For a demonstration of what happens should you persist on starting average, youthful, British talent see the Liverpool FC 2011/12 season review.

/doicarebait

The question that should be on everyones mind.

Just how early would City have sealed the title if Yaya didn't have to go to the ACN and Tevez didn't go AWOL?

Fry

Goddamn, Neymar and Ganso are ruling everything.

iqRSEpamQGwCD.gif

ifGJqJHL2XT8T.gif

iyivexkq3vmXc.gif

ijqNoL9SqRmIp.gif

/doicarebait

They would have had a much better chance of winning.

I will say, Man City deserves the title more than us this season. Outplayed us both home and away. Their talent is incredible, <3 Aguero

I take satisfaction from Liverpool's dismal season. And that they finish below Everton!

Looks like Hazard is joining Man City. That sucks big time for us. I hope Fergie buys some talented midfielders and not wingers this time.

GorillaJu

Congratulations to Mr John Huxley, winner of FootyGaf's fantasy PL 2012. Honorable mention to Viva, who, like his team, would have won most seasons with his point total, but it's just not good enough now, is it?

A special congratulation to Awesome Animals and Jeff, who finished in 91st and 95th places, respectively, and to Manager, who had a capitulation of epic proportions. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, he led a United-esque drop down from the top of the table. Better luck next time, Los Sheikhs.

I nominate myself for best "rags to riches" story. From 85th place to 26th. A man moving upward in society. A few good signings this summer and I'll be back in the mix for a CL spot or maybe even a title.

Clegg

During all the drama of the final day I'd completely forgotten that Berbatov could well be leaving this summer.

We were talking about his contract earlier but the implications hadn't really sunk in.

During all the drama of the final day I'd completely forgotten that Berbatov could well be leaving this summer.

We were talking about his contract earlier but the implications hadn't really sunk in.
What are the implications?

I think I'm in the minority here, and I remember when I joined GAF I posted about it and everybody jumped on me, I think I was called a "spastic"...but he really hasn't been great for us. Last season sure he had a good season, but even then I don't think he was sensational.

He added very little to our play. I don't even think he had that many moments that just took your breath away.

Wilbur

Banned
Congratulations to Mr John Huxley, winner of FootyGaf's fantasy PL 2012. Honorable mention to Viva, who, like his team, would have won most seasons with his point total, but it's just not good enough now, is it?

A special congratulation to Awesome Animals and Jeff, who finished in 91st and 95th places, respectively, and to Manager, who had a capitulation of epic proportions. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, he led a United-esque drop down from the top of the table. Better luck next time, Los Sheikhs.

I nominate myself for best "rags to riches" story. From 85th place to 26th. A man moving upward in society. A few good signings this summer and I'll be back in the mix for a CL spot or maybe even a title.

I don't know where I finished and I don't know if I want to know

EDIT: And I agree with Viva about Berba. He was fine, sure, but the only two I remember vividly are the overhead against Liverpool and the goal against Blackpool

I don't know where I finished and I don't know if I want to know

EDIT: And I agree with Viva about Berba. He was fine, sure, but the only two I remember vividly are the overhead against Liverpool and the goal against Blackpool
I think there were a few more than that, that flick at the byline against West Ham for example. Actually the best thing he did in that Blackpool match was a ridiculous bit of ball control.

But in general, people saw him as the figure who created magic. He really didn't that often, not for me...

Wilbur

Banned
I think there were a few more than that, that flick at the byline against West Ham for example. Actually the best thing he did in that Blackpool match was a ridiculous bit of ball control.

But in general, people saw him as the figure who created magic. He really didn't that often, not for me...

Oh, I meant goals yeah. The flick against West Ham was awesome. But his skill never really led to anything. Sad to see him go because he's got such talent, but not distraught. Never really worked out.

Clegg

What are the implications?

I think I'm in the minority here, and I remember when I joined GAF I posted about it and everybody jumped on me, I think I was called a "spastic"...but he really hasn't been great for us. Last season sure he had a good season, but even then I don't think he was sensational.

He added very little to our play. I don't even think he had that many moments that just took your breath away.

The implications that he could leave in the summer. I hadn't really thought about it because I was still chewing over us not winning the title.

I agree that he hasn't been a great signing. His goal scoring record was only average. And his record in the Champions League was pretty abysmal. He's definitely one of Uniteds best footballers but he needed the team to be built around him if we wanted to see the best of him. I felt really bad for him when he was left out of the CL final. Especially because that pile of shite Michael Owen took his place.

I think he was poorly treated this season by SAF. He should have been played more often as there were times when we could have used his skills to help open up defences. But I understand why SAF didn't use him. He never really delivered in the big games apart from his hattrick against Liverpool.

I've read that there are a few Italian clubs interested in signing him. If he does leave in the summer then I wish him the best.

Fry

Who is better Ganso or Lucas?

Hmm... Ganso is more of a magician, he has a killer left-foot for passing. Lucas is similar to Neymar, but obviously isn't at his level yet.
Right now I'd say Ganso, but Lucas is only 19, he can be better than both if he works hard.

Ganso = Kroos

Lucas = Götze

GQman2121

Banned
Yeah, Ganso isn't going to win a foot race; however, he had a remarkable first touch and his ball control is world class. I'm not calling him Zidine, but he's in that mold of player. Much like Ozil these last two seasons at Real, Ganso makes people around him better.

Lucas is your typical young Brazilian winger/AMF. He has the pace, moves and passing abilities that every top club values in a playmaker.

Of the two, Ganso is ready right now (he is a health risk) to make the jump to Europe. But I could see both of them, including Neymar, signing this summer for someone willing to breakout the cheque book.

elsk

Banned
Hmm... Ganso is more of a magician, he has a killer left-foot for passing. Lucas is similar to Neymar, but obviously isn't at his level yet.
Right now I'd say Ganso, but Lucas is only 19, he can be better than both if he works hard.

Ganso = Kroos

Lucas = Götze

Oh, I get it now :p thanks!

Berbatov is definitely leaving United this summer. I know people will disagree with me because of what he's won, and the goals his scored (against shit teams), but I feel like he's wasted what should have been the best years of his career. He was never really first choice at United, didn't really fit into Ferguson'd plans and was just used to pick off the weaker teams. I'm not saying he should have stayed at Spurs, even though that was what I would have liked at the time, but he should have gone somewhere we he would have been a key part of the side. He was too good for the role he played these last few years. He had the potential to become one of the greatest strikers in world football. But was never going to have the chance at United. And that is what disappoints me.

Clegg

Next Saturday will be a great day of sport. The Heineken Cup Final is on (Champions League of Rugby) and then we'll have the Champions League final itself.

My province Leinster are in the final so I'll be very smug if they win. And if they lose I'll be as devastated as I am right now after United not winning the title.

Salazar

I know. QPR not being relegated fucking blows :(

I fell asleep on the train. Woke up with my wide-open mouth about an inch from a dude's ear, and I was mumbling nonsense.

Not only did I not get any sleep last night, but that emotional fucking whiplash.

Sloosha

I fell asleep on the train. Woke up with my wide-open mouth about an inch from a dude's ear, and I was mumbling nonsense.

Not only did I not get any sleep last night, but that emotional fucking whiplash.

At least you have that impending Hazard Kagawa announcement to soften the blow.

If we lose to Bayern in the final we can form a second place support group.

^Woa! congrats man, in what position do you play?
RM/CM.

Next Saturday will be a great day of sport. The Heineken Cup Final is on (Champions League of Rugby) and then we'll have the Champions League final itself.

My province Leinster are in the final so I'll be very smug if they win. And if they lose I'll be as devastated as I am right now after United not winning the title.
Should have had boxing too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom