• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Reports suggest Debuchy's move to Newcastle is edging closer, especially as his stock could rise after Euro 2012. This applies to everyone who will be playing there so getting business out of the way prior will be on everyone's minds.

If we get him and the others we're pretty much likely to obtain, I think I'll be happy with our defence. Simpson going is disappointing but I'd rather we not have money-grabbing mercs on the team. Though I'm still questioning Tiote's intentions.

RB: Debuchy, Taylor, Perch, Tavernier
CB: Coloccini, Douglas, Taylor, Williamson
LB: Pieters, Santon, Ferguson, Taylor can play here too and Marveaux/Gutierrez as well as back ups

I do hope Steven Taylor is ready for the start of next season. I'd imagine Tavernier and Ferguson could go out on loan though, as they're still learning.

Zabojnik

Today we find out what's up with Chiellini. He's gonna miss sunday's final for sure, but I really hope he'll be able to make to the Euros. Screw you, Yurt, I care. :p ItalJuve ftw!

In any case, I'm sure Caceres will go a fine job. Vamos El Peladoooo!!!

ouo5rs.jpg

EDIT:

"Senza la Juventus tutti hanno potuto far finta di essere grandi" - Mario Sconcerti. ["Without Juve everybody could pretend they were great."]

Well, when a declared anti-juventino journalist says it ... you better believe it! :D

Blablurn

thank god we have a new page. im in the public university internet room right now and it was so awkward when i scrolled down the last page and suddenly there is a half naked juve player big on the screen in front of me. this is y im also avoiding the kpop thread in the public. even though its sooo goood.

Kenka

Hahaha :/ oh man, we really need a improved defense for next year. And more players who compete with robben, gomez and ribery.

That Austrian defender from Basel, Aleksandar Dragović, is a very reliable player who can play anywhere in the defence. He kinda got rolled over in the Allianz Arena in the CL but has shown very consistent performances otherwise. I'd love to see him with Alaba on the pitch just like in the Austrian team.

And he just turned 21.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So Aquilani might stay with AC Milan after all.. :/

Today we find out what's up with Chiellini. He's gonna miss sunday's final for sure, but I really hope he'll be able to make to the Euros. Screw you, Yurt, I care. :p ItalJuve ftw!

In any case, I'm sure Caceres will go a fine job. Vamos El Peladoooo!!!

At first I thought it was just a classic Chiellini dive but his tears were real :(

Caceres, hmmmmm.

Blablurn

That Austrian defender from Basel, Aleksandar Dragović, is a very reliable player who can play anywhere in the defence. He kinda got rolled over in the Allianz Arena in the CL but has shown very consistent performances otherwise. I'd love to see him with Alaba on the pitch just like in the Austrian team.

And he just turned 21.

i think we should buy some players who already got some experience. for example like we did with van bommel some years ago. we already got so many youngsters.

pappe

So, Lerner going to meet Mcleish to discuss their season performance. He should have sacked him 6 months ago. Hopefully he does it today.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Verratti's agent: "Verratti's future? Still Juventus. The two clubs must find an agreement. Its clear that the player likes Juve."

Get in baby :D

Choc

Banned
its been revealed Cahill grabbed Cayes neck after the match because of what he did to the ball boy

tim was yelling they should go to the carpark

lol

Good on you Aussie spirit :)

Kenka

Granit Xhaka leaves Basel for Gladbach

468x205_46c5322319b2cd78ae97080cb5cfccdd.jpg

4-4-2.com said:
Granit Xhaka wechselt nach Gladbach

Seit Wochen wird über einen Wechsel von Granit Xhaka zu Borussia Mönchengladbach spekuliert. Der 19-Jährige sagte selber schon öffentlich, dass er gerne zum Bundesligisten wechseln würde. Nun ist alles in trockenen Tüchern.

Laut übereinstimmenden deutschen Medienberichten hat sich Gladbachs Sportdirektor Max Eberl mit den Verantwortlichen des FC Basel geeinigt. Gemäss ''Bild'' beträgt die Ablösesumme 8.5 Mio. Euro. Xhaka wird beim Klub von Trainer Lucien Favre einen Vertrag bis 2016 unterschreiben und im Mittelfeld Roman Neustädter ersetzen, der zu Schalke 04 wechselt.

Es war der explizite Wunsch des 19-Jährigen zum Bundesligisten zu wechseln und damit den nächsten Karriereschritt einzuleiten.
http://www.4-4-2.com/sportch/generated/article/fussball/2012/05/14/21805500000.html

Wow, so Max Eberl is really doing everything possible to keep Lucien Favre. Mind you, Xhaka also wanted to move to Bundesliga.
Next one Bas Dost, please.

Carbonox

Willkiller is banned? Noooooo :(

And fuck Tim Cahill. Prick had no reason to start on Cabaye, especially as the latter apologised to the dip shit ball boy. Tim deserved the red card.

dc89

Roberto Martinez to Liverpool?!

Actually, that would be a good move. His team always tries and gets the ball down and they play some good stuff.

dc89

Incredible pictures Yurt!!!

Holy hell at Preston North End. 7 players transfer listed, 14 released, Neil Mellor retired through injury.

Graham Westley has no where to hide next season if the team fails to meet its goal, which will be promotion or play offs.

Carbonox

Incredible pictures Yurt!!!

Holy hell at Preston North End. 7 players transfer listed, 14 released, Neil Mellor retired through injury.

Graham Westley has no where to hide next season if the team fails to meet its goal, which will be promotion or play offs.

Heh, no sympathy for Westley. Stevenage meanwhile have their second leg of the play-off semi finals to play.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"38 - Alex McLeish gained one point fewer with Aston Villa in 2011-12 than he did at Birmingham in 2010-11. Margins."

Are you kidding me haha? The Villians dodged a bullet there!

neoanarch

Argentina what the fuck are you doing
http://www.afa.org.ar/index.php?opt...6395:nuevos-torneos-&catid=180:afa&Itemid=219

So you know how they have two short tourneys and two champions? Well they decided to have only one champion. But keep the short tourneys. So the winners of the first and second rounds will face off at the end of the year. If you're going to have one champion just make it a long tourney. Come on Argentina, thats embarrassing.

French Relegation battle goes down to the last day.

Auxerre is out but 12-19 are still in the scrap.
d1p1MVdchIyzx.png

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/74/Tournaments/22/Seasons/2920/Stages/5451

iIbQJM98ZElvM.png

PaulLFC

"38 - Alex McLeish gained one point fewer with Aston Villa in 2011-12 than he did at Birmingham in 2010-11. Margins."

And to think some of their fans protested when they were rumoured to be interested in appointing Rafa as manager
KuGsj.gif

Vertonghen was at the Lane yesterday to watch the game against Fulham. We need to get this one done quickly! Also:

Matt Spiro ‏ @mattspiro
Marseille have told Loic Remy to cancel his planned visit to Spurs' training ground this week. They want to agree fee with #THFC first

Hixx

Big rumours he's getting the boot today.

edit: apparently he already has been sacked.

Looks like Mccleish is on his way

Barton should get a minimum 9 game ban

3 for the red
3 for the attack
3 for the twitter comments on taking one with him, bringing the game into disrepute

FootballFan

Incredible Tunnel Cam:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Features/2012/May/City-v-QPR-Tunnel-cam

20:50 will make Nasri haters foam.

Citys 2 most vital and best players at the back as they come out of the tunnel(at the end of the vid). <3 Yaya and Kompany are awesome

Granit Xhaka leaves Basel for Gladbach

Wow, so Max Eberl is really doing everything possible to keep Lucien Favre. Mind you, Xhaka also wanted to move to Bundesliga.
Next one Bas Dost, please.

:eek: That is a really good signing. Grats to Gladbach.

Nero3000

Looks like Mccleish is on his way

Barton should get a minimum 9 game ban

3 for the red
3 for the attack
3 for the twitter comments on taking one with him, bringing the game into disrepute

3 for trying to headbutt Kompany
1 extra for being his second red of the season

He should also get a longer ban for the premeditated nature of his attack on aguero.

Socreges

Banned
Congrats to City/Juve-GAF!

Went back and read the thread just now to see the reactions to City's win. PRICELESS. So much good stuff, from United fans prematurely gloating, to them then directing their bitterness toward Nasri for an innocent comment.

Go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18017513

and click the video named 'The moment City won the title' it shows the exact moment the news filtered through to United that City had scored :lol :lol
SO

FREAKING

GOOD

Seeing Nasri getting mauled by fans (and loving it) was pretty cool.

Fantastic fair play situation in our Norwegian League. The keeper fails to save the long clearance after an injury and Brann decides to give LSK a goal. But their keeper is against the plan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wStSj6ueGgE
This would make for a good skit if it wasn't real. Wish I knew what the keeper was saying.

Socreges

Banned
Expecting anything different from any human being who cares about football put in that situation is dumbassed.
Oh I expected it. That doesn't make it any less hilarious. Especially contrasted to the salty tears afterwards.

Personally, though, I've followed football and other sports passionately for enough years that I know to clench my teeth until it is absolutely, without question, over.

fuenf

Just read Ribery's Kicker Interview and it made me extremely confident about the final. Ribery just seems so comfortable at Bayern and he's 100% focused on winning the CL.

PaulLFC

So what are Liverpool Gafs opinions on having Roberto Martinez as Manager?
I assume the majority of Football-GAF will find this funny, but I would give Kenny another season, and then see what happens. Yes, league-wise, this season has been poor. Very poor, in fact. But there have been some encouraging signs elsewhere - the cup runs, performances that have on some occasions merited more than we got from the games, and the club seemingly heading in the right direction off the pitch, for the first time in a long while.

You cannot build success by chopping and changing managers every season - I'm not saying we would do this, but if we won't give Kenny Dalglish another season, who will we ever afford time to, to build anything resembling a project on the scale of Ferguson or Wenger? Dalglish is part of the club, it's as simple as that. If we can't have patience with him of all people, to see if he can improve things next season, then we will never give a manager time to achieve anything - as soon as they don't win something, we'll be calling for them to be sacked.

I say give Kenny another season, see if he's learnt from the transfer mistakes and tactical mistakes this season, see where we are at the end of next season, and then decide on his future. Kenny is not blind - he will realise his mistakes. Just because he hasn't gone on Sky going "Yes Geoff, I've had a rubbish season in the league haven't I, and a lot of the players I've brought in have been poor this season", doesn't mean he doesn't think that. He isn't going to publicly criticise his players, for a start.

I want him to have another season to see if he can get things right.

sohois

I would certainly give Kenny another season over Roberto Martinez, seems like another Hodgson to me. Other than avoiding relegation every year and occasionally producing some decent football, what has Martinez ever done? Yes he has only had a short career but there is nothing to suggest thus far that he has what it takes to succeed at a club of Liverpool's stature. Let him try with a team with some resources like Villa first then we can begin to talk about him moving beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom