• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

one of the Rayo Vallecano players admitted in the radio that he asked a Granada player to let them score after Atletico scored their goal vs Villarreal.. what a dumbass why would you ever willingly admit to that

edit: not that I think Granada players did it, because Villarreal tying and them losing would send Granada down

PaulLFC

what makes you think that, is not like he seemed to make much tactic adjustments over the course of the year.
He changed up tactics quite a bit game to game at times, just not so much within the game itself. That doesn't mean he won't have seen areas that concern him this season - do you think that Kenny thinks 8th place in the league is good enough? Of course he doesn't. He will have identified areas to improve and we should give him some time to try and improve them.

Lucas being back will be a huge boost for us - I can't state enough how much better we were with him in the side, and how much we missed him when he was injured. The points per game difference was something like 1.92 points per game when Lucas was playing, and only 1.18 per game when he wasn't. That's a huge difference. Having him in the side should go some way to making us a better side, and that's before we've even conducted any transfer business.

So what are Liverpool Gafs opinions on having Roberto Martinez as Manager?

I would give Kenny another season but remove transfer duties from him period. Bring in someone else to handle it. Judging by some of the players he has brought in, he has no sense of what a quality player is.

PaulLFC

I would give Kenny another season but remove transfer duties from him period. Bring in someone else to handle it. Judging by some of the players he has brought in, he has no sense of what a quality player is.
I think someone will replace Comolli at some point, and if that is to happen it needs to be soon so our transfer business isn't impacted, especially with the Euros potentially increasing the value of some players.

Part of why some of Kenny's signings are seen as so poor is what we paid for them, and that has to be down to Comolli ultimately - that's why he's been shown the door. £20 million for Downing is ridiculous, he hasn't lived up to anywhere near that valuation this season and has been by far the most disappointing of our signings.

Henderson is still young and improving, he needs time to grow into the side and adapt to the players around him - he played well against Chelsea on Tuesday, so hopefully he can continue improving.

Adam wasn't bad value, but played too many games before his injury, when it looked as if he was in poor form for a lot of them. This is partly to do with Lucas being out - if he wasn't injured, I can't see Adam being asked to play so many games, but I do think Kenny needs to give the players a greater sense of "if I don't play well I could be dropped" - too often this season some players have coasted along and not looked bothered.

:(, used to be deadly in the PL.

Great player.

Keown.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
this is actually a really sad video... while city fans are celebrating winning the league, this is what some arsenal fans are celebrating.

Indeed. Arsenal scraped to a point ahead of Spurs and finished with the same goal difference (and lost more games over the season). Their defence was so bad this season that all those Van Persie goals could only just keep us at bay.

Ushojax

Talking about Arsenal, did they start playing better after Mertesacker was injured ?

Not really. Vermaelen has been terrible for months. What they did was grind out results, usually with late goals from Van Persie. They did play well against City though, they were excellent that day.

The key player for them is Arteta. With him they are able to exert some kind of authority in midfield, without him they are a shambles and the game yesterday was won by the opposition keeper, the first time they've won without Arteta.

It's almost 4 weeks till the Euros start. We'll have another two FootballGAF OTs by then...

Shame on two of our own for supporting their favourite kits.

It's almost 4 weeks till the Euros start. We'll have another two FootballGAF OTs by then...

Shame on two of our own for supporting their favourite kits.

I hope you aren't including me in that. If the US could qualify for the Eurwos, then Red, White, and Blue would be all I'd see.

Oh god this is cheering me up so so much

http://www.redcafe.net/f64/manchester-united-facebook-page-336795/index14.html

Anyone who is feeling a bit down please read the entirety of this thread. It's stunning.

To be fair, Scottish SAF, in England, is xenophobic towards the Latin American players he bought.

Stubo

Noooo Ruud :( Still gutted that he left to this day, have him on the back of one of my shirts. A ridiculous ratio if I ever saw one, truly a great poacher.

this is actually a really sad video... while city fans are celebrating winning the league, this is what some arsenal fans are celebrating.

Really who was celebrating an new era of dominance in January?

Indeed. Arsenal scraped to a point ahead of Spurs and finished with the same goal difference (and lost more games over the season). Their defence was so bad this season that all those Van Persie goals could only just keep us at bay.

Seriously, you plagiarize 'Arry's post-game interviews, don't you?

Shame on Arsenal for finishing ahead of Spurs after they gave them a 10 point start.

The green is so pretty

It is. I would never take the kit off if I could.

I'm reading that Roberto Martinez is the favorite with Paul Lambert second favorite by the bookies.

Apparently Benitez is on the board, which I'd kind of like to see (McCarthy is as well, which I wouldn't like).

Ushojax

Shame on Arsenal for finishing ahead of Spurs after they gave them a 10 point start.

We fucked up and you took advantage, well done, Arsenal were slightly less bottling than Spurs in the end. You still have a terrible defense and have only one regular goalscorer who will probably leave and even if he doesn't, he will never have another season like this one.

There is no possible way that the amount of off field shit that happened to Spurs will happen next season, so enjoy one final year above us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom