• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Awesome Animals

BZIl3.jpg

faridmon

30m for a defender? no way bayern is going to pay so much for a good defender.

we need more strikers and midfielders.

Fine £25 Would be acceptable. £15 Plus Gomez would be good as well. Sorry I cannot accept more than that. He is immensly important to us.

bjaelke

vpFiY.jpg

Liverpool's player of the season. Think we have one more year out of him, and if we don't make top 4 he (with a few others) will be gone.

I searched back about 10 pages before getting bored. What post were you quoting?

Well deserved. Through a miserable season he's kept a surprisingly high standard.

Wilbur

Banned
An Aston Villa statement said: "The club has been disappointed with this season's results, performances and the general message these have sent to our fans. The board wishes to assure supporters that we are conscious in every sense that Villa expects and deserves more and we will strive to deliver this."

Lerner added: "We need to be clear and candid with ourselves and with supporters about what we have lacked in recent years. Compelling play and results that instil a sense of confidence that Villa is on the right track have been plainly absent. The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations."

Aston Villa's chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We'd like to thank Alex for his hard work and efforts throughout this tough season. We are mindful of the club's need to prepare thoroughly for the new campaign and for the new manager to be able to begin working with the board so that he is quickly immersed in these preparations and also in the long-term objectives of the club. Our focus now will be driven by these imperatives and we will update when appropriate."

To be fair to McLeish there was a lot of injuries and he had to be a bit responsible for cutting the wage bill, and he doesn't strike me as the Fergie type who is in charge of everything. Doesn't excuse his dire footballing style though, so for that I'm glad he's gone. It's all the better when the PL has teams playing food football.

Swansea, Norwich, Reading, Southampton, hopefully Blackpool, an improved QPR... Should be fun

Meier

Watching ESPN in America covering football is a joke. Fuck them.

Good-bye! Good-bye! Good-bye!

untitled-2mdkw0.gif

They stuck with it for a bit after the match although I had to turn over to FSC to catch more of the celebration. Ian Darke is my favorite commentator and (their) Macca provides a good second opinion. I prefer watching matches on ESPN2 due to Ian although FSC does a nice job as well.

^^I don't know many who have a positive opinion of him

To be fair to McLeish there was a lot of injuries and he had to be a bit responsible for cutting the wage bill, and he doesn't strike me as the Fergie type who is in charge of everything. Doesn't excuse his dire footballing style though, so for that I'm glad he's gone. It's all the better when the PL has teams playing food football.

Swansea, Norwich, Reading, Southampton, hopefully Blackpool, an improved QPR... Should be fun

And a revitalized Villa under Martinez (probably)!

Also, fuck you for being fair to McLeish. He was never fair to the fans, or the game. Fucking disgusting product he shoved down our throats.

TeegsD

Good on Villa for sacking McLeish. Also thank you for everything Ruud. You are a legend and one of the greatest players to wear a United jersey.

Wes

venison crêpe
On the bright side, they will have to get a manager with a clear attacking mentality. It's the only way to encourage season ticket sales.

Seeing the Holte End so empty this year was terrible.

elsk

Banned
He was injured and there are strong buzz around the Everton campus that he actually said that he may have played his last game for us :(

£30 Million, and it is deal Bayern.

Bayern is not paying 30M for anyone except Messi or someone like that.
Maybe he's moving to Manchester United, sounds more possible. He would be a sub here, because Alaba.

That Austrian defender from Basel, Aleksandar Dragović, is a very reliable player who can play anywhere in the defence. He kinda got rolled over in the Allianz Arena in the CL but has shown very consistent performances otherwise. I'd love to see him with Alaba on the pitch just like in the Austrian team.

And he just turned 21.

Dortmund were linked with him I believe.

Kicker says that beside Bayern, also BVB and Schalke are in for Pizarro.

I wouldn't mind him at all, he could be striker number 2 for two years until Boyd or (mainly) Ducksch are old enough to get in the first team. I'd prefer someone like Guidetti, though, if we could manage to get a young striker like him for a good price.

Bayern is not longer interested, they offered 1 year contract because of his age. And the majority of the board didn't approve the transfer. We're after Giroud now.

TeegsD

Just saw that United are looking at that Dortmund striker who got the hat trick the other day. That'd leave us with 5 strikers. 1 of which is porbably leaving anyways. 4-1-3-2 next season? I'd like to see it.

edit- now that i picture it more, its like a 4-4-2 diamond

elsk

Banned
Just saw that United are looking at that Dortmund striker who got the hat trick the other day. That'd leave us with 5 strikers. 1 of which is porbably leaving anyways. 4-1-3-2 next season? I'd like to see it.

edit- now that i picture it more, its like a 4-4-2 diamond

Lewa is not leaving this season anyway. His agent is using Manchester United to get more money from Dortmund.

Kid crying over Del Piero. So cute. [It's in English] edit [And it's not me]

Hahahahaha

It's me :(

Do hope Del Piero goes to New York, Toronto, or Montreal. All those cities have HUGE Italian communities, and while he'd be treated like royalty where ever he chooses, those teams would probably benefit the most. Wherever he goes, that team has a guaranteed kit sale from me.

@Awesome Animals

BZIl3.jpg

Who is the guy on the right? /troll

Guys, Stabæk player have been found dead :(

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/norsk/artikkel.php?artid=10053450

1336999112999_391.jpg

Fuck the world :(

!

What's the story here? Google Translate is shit. Says something about a struggle and that it was a crime, but that's it.

bjaelke

What's the story here? Google Translate is shit. Says something about a struggle and that it was a crime, but that's it.

It should say "not" somewhere in the first paragraph. At least the Norwegian versions says so. The police does not suspect that he was a victim of a crime.

Wilbur

Banned
^^I don't know many who have a positive opinion of him

And a revitalized Villa under Martinez (probably)!

Also, fuck you for being fair to McLeish. He was never fair to the fans, or the game. Fucking disgusting product he shoved down our throats.

:( I definitely think he should have been sacked earlier, just saying that he was the wrong manager for the job. Not necessarily his fault that he had to oversee the club reining in finances, but he shouldn't have taken it or been considered in the first place because he doesn't seem the type to be able to control everything. Jumped at the first sign of trouble with Birmingham and paid for it. I'm not saying his treatment was unfair, it was perfectly justified.

elsk

Banned
According to the Daily Mail (I know), Giroud rejected Liverpool and Arsenal offers, he's negotiating with Bayern already.

faridmon

Sorry for the late reply. Basically what the paper is saying that Tor was missing from Saturday evening and the club tried to reach him but could not get to him. His family and friends were quite worried if anything has happened to him. On Monday at 7 O'clock, his body was found in Hanshaugen In central Oslo and was identified as the Stabæk player Tor-Marius Gromstad who was only 22. The Death is most likely a criminal act and the police concluded that it was not a murder. Any circumstances were never made public.

They are saying that the last someone have spotted him was when he took the key to the car from His Brother in the outskirt of Oslo on Sarturday, since then he went on missing. The paper is talking about how other players felt and how the match between Vålerenga and Stabæk have been cancelled. It shook the whole country and probably will effect the games in weeks time.

Sad stuff really! Condolances to his family and his friends.

Wilbur

Banned
Lol, just read in the Times Everton sold their training ground for 2.1m and now pay 1.25m a year to rent it. Odd decision.

Times is good today. Lots of City stuff which is horrific, but their writing's a good standard.

Hixx

lmao the Diablo 3 topic is hilarious

People freaking the fuck out over installing a game that they can't play at least 7 hours.

Clegg

I don't want him. He's wasted his talent, he's had one sterling season in about 10 years of football.

Sneijder had one good season in his career with Mourinho.

edit: Listen to the Willbury!

I'm not saying that I'd like Sneijder at United. Form and injuries are a big concern.

I just think that United would be interested if Sneijder was available for less than last year.

SAF seems to like him as a player.

Wilbur

Banned
lmao the Diablo 3 topic is hilarious

People freaking the fuck out over installing a game that they can't play at least 7 hours.

What is this game? Some knob I know is queuing outside HMV in Oxford Street, said he'd been there for 20 hours and there was 22 to go

Daglish hold talks.

An end of season review, now taking place in Boston, will determine Dalglish's fate. He will argue the foundations are in place for a much improved performance next season.

If his foundation is the continuance of using deadwood players like Adam and Downing and not ready players like Henderson, then I would rather him not be there next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom