• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

You may have missed this:

*Dalglish quote*
Latest on that according to the Times is that Kenny is back in the UK, hasn't been sacked or resigned, and the season review continues. I still think that was just someone making shit up on Twitter as usual, the season review meeting was already scheduled. The first reports of the "sacking" were when it was 6am in Boston - how very likely.

Wilbur

Banned
Latest on that according to the Times is that Kenny is back in the UK, hasn't been sacked or resigned, and the season review continues. I still think that was just someone making shit up on Twitter as usual, the season review meeting was already scheduled. The first reports of the "sacking" were when it was 6am in Boston - how very likely.

Yeah true, hadn't heard he was back in the country. I think he'll stay, it would be very hard for FSG to outright sack Kenny Dalglish, you know?

Sloosha

I think on rewatch it'll be better than the first, but it's like the Wire where it dropped me in with lots of talk of Yankton and verbose dialogue that I didn't fully get my head around until late in the seas'on. Incredible show though, can't fault a thing. Will start the third tomorrow.

Yeah, on first watch the dialogue is pretty hard to follow at times. Swearengen's dialogue is amazing though. I could rewatch a Swearengen soliloquy a thousand times over and not get bored. Love Cy Tolliver scenes too - That crazy bastard.

Sad that it ended too soon.

Wilbur

Banned
until FIFA 12 i was a PES Fanboy, big time

FIFA 12 is fucking perfection on a disc.

FIFA 12 is incredible online or with mates. As a single player game though, with its virtual pro and career modes and whatnot, it's awful. AI is disgraceful. I could play Real Madrid or Rotherham and the games would feel exactly the same. Momentum factor is a shitstain as well.

Yeah, on first watch the dialogue is pretty hard to follow at times. Swearengen's dialogue is amazing though. I could rewatch a Swearengen soliloquy a thousand times over and not get bored. Love Cy Tolliver scenes too - That crazy bastard.

Sad that it ended too soon.

And yeah, Swearengen is pretty much the best character ever. So fucking good. I like EB, he's so delightfully creepy

Choc

Banned
Nah FIFA 12 isn't that good.

its the best next gen FB game by far

possibly the best football game ever

FIFA 13 if they come through with what they said will be dead set amazing again. Improvements to the impact engine should stop some of the stupid animations

jtb

Banned
lol take it easy. Arsenal were in crisis this season and came third. There was no way they were going to challenge for anything just losing their captain/best player
and Nasri
. Arsenal were lucky to kind keep their shit together for most of the season when they could have easily fallen down the table like everyone expected.

Yeah times have been better and the club fucked up massively the past couple of years regarding transfers but it looks like they might change and the young talent coming through looks a lot more promising than what was there a few years ago.

Yeah, I know I'm way overreacting lol
just getting my rage out pre-emptively so I won't have to worry too much during the transfer window
. It's just Mata (there's really no reason why we shouldn't have bought him; he's an upgrade over Nasri and just about every single one of our midfielders) and especially Wilshere's situation pisses me off so much. We shouldn't have had to rely on Wilshere so much last season, especially as an 18 year old developing, and that reliance led to an appalling start to the season when he was injured. It's the same thing that happened with Cesc; Wenger just doesn't learn.

Then he was fast-tracked into training in March (medical team claiming his injury was miraculously healing; what a load of shite)... and promptly injured his ankle again and missed the rest of the season. Now who knows if Wilshere will even be able to recover by the start of next season, or when (if ever) he'll be back to his pre-injury form.

Coming third this season is both a testament to Wenger's vaunted mental strength and to the fact that the league is really shit this year (and that Arsenal's squad is better than most give credit). I'm just worried 3rd will cover all the gaping holes in this squad exposed at Old Trafford and the San Siro, and there's no evidence that Wenger is going to learn from his repeated mistakes and over-reliance on players that are either injury prone (Diaby, RVP... shit, you could make an argument for the whole Arsenal squad) or ones that are irreplaceable and thus overplayed... leading to more injuries (Cesc, Wilshere).

FIFA 12 is incredible online or with mates. As a single player game though, with its virtual pro and career modes and whatnot, it's awful. AI is disgraceful. I could play Real Madrid or Rotherham and the games would feel exactly the same. Momentum factor is a shitstain as well.

until FIFA 12 i was a PES Fanboy, big time

FIFA 12 is fucking perfection on a disc.

People online ruin it though. Football games will always be more fun playing on offline multiplayer with a mate on the couch. Recently, I've been matched up against a couple of gentlemen who simply keep passing amongst their defenders for the great majority of the match. I simply exit the game. It must be laborious to obsess about results at the cost of playing the game at all.

Fry

You may have missed this:

Very nice, thanks Lilpenis. Are these shirts the real deal? I think Arsenal's look stylish, I liked it. I'm still unsure what to think of United's, it's too simple and that's a good thing in my opinion, gotta see how it'll look on the players. The collar looks bad though.

I'm the minority, probably, but I wouldn't want to see Kenny in charge for another season, well, at least I'd like to see his plans for the transfer window, because that's where I don't trust him the most and that's where Liverpool can't get any wrong again.

That analysis is pretty good, basically all the odds are at Bayern's side. But that won't matter in the end, anything can happen. Though I'm confident.

Wilbur

Banned
Very nice, thanks Lilpenis. Are these shirts the real deal? I think Arsenal's look stylish, I liked it. I'm still unsure what to think of United's, it's too simple and that's a good thing in my opinion, gotta see how it'll look on the players. The collar looks bad though.

I'm the minority, probably, but I wouldn't want to see Kenny in charge for another season, well, at least I'd like to see his plans for the transfer window, because that's where I don't trust him the most and that's where Liverpool can't get any wrong again.

That analysis is pretty good, basically all the odds are at Bayern's side. But that won't matter in the end, anything can happen. Though I'm confident.

UsiJl.gif

In the case of United, I fucking hope not. It's good that it's simple but like you say, the collar's disgraceful. It looks like something that people who work at Wagamamas would wear.

Personally I don't think Kenny should stay, but that's if the replacement is viably better. Martinez no.

rodvik

My friend who supports Liverpool said there are rumours that FSG want Daglish to step down but he doesn't want to.

Just a rumour.

Honestly I dont see Kenny ever doing this. If the owners suggest he should leave I think he will resign gracefully.

Dalglish maybe a pratt in press interviews and made a huge balls up with the Suarez affair but would never put himself before the club.

My guess is he will return to his previous role if he gets the boot.

sohois

I worry about the future of PES. Since PES6 made its next-gen debut, fans have been waiting for a new engine. Is Seabass still in charge?

2011 was the new engine finally.

That United kit is too depressing to be real.

Rafa fanatics think their ship is coming in.

There has been a great deal of hearsay that FSG were heavily advised against Rafa when they brought the club, supposedly it is unlikely they would consider him in the event that a vacancy opens up.#

edit: and as for the rumours swirling about Dalglish's position, I reckon the reason that nothing concrete has been issued yet is due to the new DoF that FSG want. I'd imagine that Henry & Werner are willing to let Dalglish continue, however they are not going to back him until they get a new DoF and the guy confirms he can work with Kenny and that Liverpool should keep him on.

GorillaJu

Honestly I dont see Kenny ever doing this. If the owners suggest he should leave I think he will resign gracefully.

Dalglish maybe a pratt in press interviews and made a huge balls up with the Suarez affair but would never put himself before the club.

My guess is he will return to his previous role if he gets the boot.

Bingo

Clegg

Why is Fellaini the best midfielder in FM 12?

He's pretty good in real life but he's just ridiculously good in my FM save.

And everyone should buy Felipe Anderson. Plays in midfield and develops into a star.

Wilbur

Banned

He's awesome in real life and sex in FM. Bought him and Kwadwo Asamoah for United, shit was being tore off the walls

Clegg

He's awesome in real life and sex in FM. Bought him and Kwadwo Asamoah for United, shit was being tore off the walls

Was thinking about getting Asamoah but I only need 1 DM. So I went for Fellaini instead.

And check out Felipe Anderson. He's boss.

Fry

Just step outside and see the game for yourself!

LOL!! I'm really curious to see how they've done the parts in brazil. It's Rockstar so it's probably pretty convincing.

I haven't bought a single game since dez 2011. What have I missed? Seriously, my xbox has been useless for half an year...

Wilbur

Banned
Was thinking about getting Asamoah but I only need 1 DM. So I went for Fellaini instead.

And check out Felipe Anderson. He's boss.

I have those two at the base, super Tom at the peak of the three, Nani Tony and Rooney tearing up shit ahead of me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Community thread as in Mexican National Team thread? Or MexicoGAF thread?
Something like the USMNT thread, yeah.
Also, there is a Euro's thread, and I'm sure we could make an Olympics and World Cup Qualifying threads as well. And I agree that at that point we may as well just make an "International Football/Calcio/Soccer/etc. Thread |OT| of why are these games so boring?!" ;)
:mad:

Clegg

I have those two at the base, super Tom at the peak of the three, Nani Tony and Rooney tearing up shit ahead of me.

I got a great season out of Valencia. He racked up shitloads of assists and was my best player. Then he was absolute crap for the first half of my second season. I sold him for £20 odd million in January and bought Muniain.

I played 4-5-1 originally. Fellaini as a DM and Carrick and Giggs as my 2 central midfielders. Nani and Valencia were my attacking midfielders and Rooney was up front.

I've changed my formation to 4-1-3-2. Fellaini still at DM. Felipe Anderson, Carrick and Fletcher as my 3 CM's. Muniain as an attacking midfielder playing through the middle. And Rooney and Berba up front.

Giggs and Scholes have now retired so I needed to revamp the midfield. Muniain and Berba are running the show in my save. Berba has 19 goals and 17 assists so far.

I play Welbeck quite regularly too and he's turning into a proper boss poacher.

feel

FIFA 12 is terrible, stop making football game devs think they're doing things right people! A football game hasn't been actually good since the ps2 days. (PES5/6)

Scum

And everyone should buy Felipe Anderson. Plays in midfield and develops into a star.

He's at Arsenal in one of my saves.

PES5&6 are still more fun to play than the new FIFAs, which are way better than the new Pro Evos. Its an indictment of both Konami and EA, particularly Seabass' lot

Clegg

Does anyone remember when Marko Marin was the "must buy" FM wonderkid?

Good times.

His career irl seems to have stalled a bit. Maybe moving to Chelsea will help him in that respect?

Also this is on his wikipedia page.

Marko Marin (Serbian Cyrillic: Марко Марин; born 13 March 1989) is a German international footballer, who currently plays for German club Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga. He primarily plays as a winger and an attacking midfielder. Marin is known for his acceleration, dribbling, agility, creativity, versatility, technical ability and an assist-maker. He has been described as a "player who can decide a game on his own". Marin has earned critical acclaim for his playing style, which has led to the media and fans drawing comparisons to Barcelona forward Emile Heskey, with Marin often being nicknamed the "German heskey".

woodchuck

with all this Fifa talk, one of my friend recently got Fifa 12 for ps3. We routinely play 6 player offline multiplayer. Is there any way to lock positions in offline multiplayer? I know PES has that option.

Choc

Banned
interesting stats from that guardian page

-QPR most fouled team

-Guiterrez the most fouled player

-Fellani and Holt (Norwich) most fouls

-Villa didn't score 1 goal from a corner

-Chelsea had 2816 shots on goal (fark)

-rofl Stewart Downing, meanwhile, was the master of misplaced shots, firing off 72 this season without scoring.

-Stoke had the most throw ins (no surprise)

-Man City scored 10 goals in stoppage time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom