• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how many times Drogba has been booked for diving. I hope to one day see a player get a second yellow for it, but I doubt any ref has the balls to do that sadly. What I don't understand is that the fourth official has access to the TV monitor. Whilst the referee may not be able to interpret a dive from genuine discomfort, the video replays on offer for the official would allow him to notify the ref on the pitch. It sounds reasonable, perfectly fair and would help the game. I guess there's no chance of it coming to fruition then under the FA

dschalter

Wonder how many times Drogba has been booked for diving. I hope to one day see a player get a second yellow for it, but I doubt any ref has the balls to do that sadly. What I don't understand is that the fourth official has access to the TV monitor. Whilst the referee may not be able to interpret a dive from genuine discomfort, the video replays on offer for the official would allow him to notify the ref on the pitch. It sounds reasonable, perfectly fair and would help the game. I guess there's no chance of it coming to fruition then under the FA

it happens occasionally. hoarau got a second yellow for diving in a game near the end of last season.

neoanarch

Some second division team I think? Their stadium and most of their properties got taken by the state government due to tax evasion concerns.

They never owned the stadium. I'm not really sure if they actually own anything. They are heavily in debt and frequently fail to pay players on time.

The eternal musical chairs of managers continues.

Tomas Boy has left Morelia
Enrique Meza has left Cruz Azul
Hugo Sanchez has finally found a job again at Pachuca(if they make a few decent signings they will dominate)
San Luis
Pumas
Toluca
Puebla

all four are looking for a manager.
La Volpe at Atlante

I probably forgot someone. But they'll just switch places anyway.

kjJSN.gif

His agent's saying he was in Machester for talks with SAF. No decision yet, but it looks inevitable.

Glad Nasri went to City instead last summer - maybe even glad we missed out on Sneijder - since we might not have filched Kagawa otherwise. Anything below 15 million is a ridiculous bargain; the guy has a decade left in him and is class through and through. Only trepidation I'd imagine he'd have is that Fergie would try to convert him into a deep midfielder, like Anderson. The most out of position he should play is as a drifting winger with a free role. Even then, I'd rather we pushed Rooney out to the left than displace Kagawa from the number ten role. Rooney remains a brilliant goalscorer even when not leading the line, but he's been underwhelming as a creator-of-play behind the striker this season. Time for something different - it's been a case of diminishing returns since we shifted away from the 4-3-3.

Meier

it happens occasionally. hoarau got a second yellow for diving in a game near the end of last season.

Freddy Adu got a red card (second yellow) for a dive in an MLS game on Sunday. It didn't even look like he dove on purpose.. he seemingly just lost his footing. Tough blow.

rodvik

This is absolutley the high point of being a Villa fan. The looking for a new manager stage always has us linked with exciting candidates who we will never get (Joachim Low is the latest).

Makes me feel like a big club. Its great.

Its gonna be a big come down when they pick one of the usual suspects who ping around from one mid/lower table PL club to another.

elsk

Banned
:(

soooo long

damn, at least its my last day of class today. from tonight on its just waiting, waiting, waiting.

Man, that's even worse. At least when you're in class the time moves faster, but if you're free the time is FUCKING slow.

Trust me.

Lightning

Banned
I hope we sign Yann M'Vila once the French league finishes. Our back 4 needs to plug the gaps and we need better protection.

He would be a fantastic signing, imo.

GorillaJu

Fuck. Shinji, don't make me hate you. Don't do it.

Stewart Downing shooting 72 times and not scoring once is downright pathetic. How the fuck does that even happen? HOW?

xbhaskarx

I just looked at Downing's stats, he didn't even have an assist! lol

£20 million
36 games
72 shots
0 goals
0 assists

That is quite impressive in its own way...

rodvik

I just looked at Downing's stats, he didn't even have an assist! lol

£20 million
36 games
72 shots
0 goals
0 assists

That is quite impressive in its own way...

The bells are ringing! For the Claret and Blue!

8)

Taunting aside I am surprised. He was a good player for us. Baffling how he dropped in form so much.

Blablurn

Man, that's even worse. At least when you're in class the time moves faster, but if you're free the time is FUCKING slow.

Trust me.

Haha, u r right. At least i dont have to go to cologne anymore this week. Gonna try to keep myself busy until saturday. But then... BAAAAAYEEERN

Im scared though, no idea what to expect.

bjaelke

Looks like Kasper Schmeichel is getting called up today ahead of Lindegaard. It's only fair to be honest.
Liverpool hit the bar 33 times this season.

They also received the most cards for diving.
Make that 34 >_<

My friend who supports Liverpool said there are rumours that FSG want Daglish to step down but he doesn't want to.

Just a rumour.

Those rumors got out of hand because Steve Clarke was spotted at the Boston game last night sitting next to Tom Werner and John Henry. Dalglish was nowhere to be found.

Choc

Banned

some refs have balls

i'd have no hesitation to do it

dc89

City are under no obligation to sell Toure even if he wants to leave. And who could afford him anyway?

Anzhi and PSG maybe and that about it.

I mean, the start of the quote is "Nobody in Real Madrid has asked for Yaya Touré nor has been contacted by me" and the last thing is "Toure has 2 years left on his deal". I think the agent is fishing for a new deal from City to be honest.

And the thought that Yaya 'has achieved all he can at City is just laughable.

But... if he wants out he can go. There is no doubt that he is a pivotal player, but there is another ACoN in Jan and he'll be missing for 6 weeks again. If he wants to go sell him for top dollar and get a player who is here all year.

xbhaskarx

Anders seems like a good guy. Be nice to see him back.

http://i.imgur.com/MTYes.png

I was looking at goalkeeper stats and now I'm really wondering where he will go... maybe 700 minutes is a small sample size but still this is quite impressive:
52GsX.jpg

2012 Premier League goalkeepers, min 200 minutes, organized by minutes per goal conceded (Lindegaard is also first by save %)
all three Americans in the top ten

Lindegaard and Guzan seem to have outperformed the regular starters on their teams, Westwood didn't but still probably deserves more minutes elsewhere... all three are age 27-28.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not bashing De Gea, what he's doing at age 21 at this level is obviously very impressive.... but more clean sheets than goals conceded is mindblowing stuff.

dc89

This guy is a grade A boss:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Interviews/2012/May/Interview-with-Khaldoon-Al-Muburak

"My personal highlight of the season was the defeat at Arsenal. We had a choice, either we sulk or we fight to the end. I went down to the dressing room after the game and I saw Roberto and we had this moment, just me and him, and we looked at each other and said we can still do it. Let's take the pressure off the players and take it one game at a time and with a bit of luck we can still do it."

He also praises United saying they have "set the bench mark for any club... I have the highest respect for Sir Alex and that team because of what they have achieved."

"Sheikh Mansour has not missed a single minute of football this season. He's watched every league game, Champions League game, Cup game. Even games which are not aired, we found a way for him to watch it."

He is a member of GAF and he watches the streams we share!

Lightning

Banned
Szczesny needs to improve on those stats. They are not good enough but Arsenals defending in general was not good enough. Really unlucky last season that we had 4 fullbacks out for so long all at the same time and we never had all our best defenders available at the same time. Not trying to use that as an excuse but that was unbelieveable that Gibbs, Sagna, Jenkinson and Santos all injured at the same time for so long and what sucked was once they returned Mertresacker got a season ending injury.

Stability at he back is vital and this season we really didn't have any. Combine this with Alex Song's habit of disappearing forward in games and leaving the defense esposed and you have a receipe for things to go wrong and go wrong they did.

Blablurn

Barca were favourites too. But look what happened. Look what happened this Sunday gone, you'd have never thought it. Football is so unpredictable.

On the other hand we beat madrid, spains champion!! Should be enough, amirite?

Too bad football is not that easy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Hey guys, its my birthday. I am 26 as of 8 mins ago. Lets celebrate. please :(
HAPPY BIRTHDAY IRISH MESSI!
Il Capitano shirt has shipped.

Yurt, bless you.
w00t! Congrats! ;)
Uhhhh. A cinema near me is showing Juventus - Napoli, Coppa Italia sunday's final, in 3D. I've hever had the chance to watch football in 3D, so I think I'll be going. Should be fantastic on a giant screen, right? Did you guys experience something like this? How was it?
That sounds pretty cool!
Un
fortunately you're going to miss Chiellini's glorious nose in 3D :(
Happy birthday Messi, may me enjoy much success next year and own those haters with the power of unicef. :D

Buffon did a Unicef ad not that long ago, so Barca - Juve final is pretty much confirmed by now.

Manager

I mean, the start of the quote is "Nobody in Real Madrid has asked for Yaya Touré nor has been contacted by me" and the last thing is "Toure has 2 years left on his deal". I think the agent is fishing for a new deal from City to be honest.

And the thought that Yaya 'has achieved all he can at City is just laughable.

But... if he wants out he can go. There is no doubt that he is a pivotal player, but there is another ACoN in Jan and he'll be missing for 6 weeks again. If he wants to go sell him for top dollar and get a player who is here all year.

But why would he want to go to CHELSEA of all teams?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom