• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hart
Green
Ruddy

Baines
Cahill
Cole
Johnson
Jones
Lescott
Terry

Ox
Parker
Barry
Downing
Gerrard
Lampard
Milner
Walcott
Young

Rooney
Caroll
Defoe
Welbeck

Carbonox

Given how shit the squad is, would it really be that bad to take a punt on Sturridge, Johnson and Henderson, rather than having them on stand-by? Fuck the likes of Downing, Milner and co.

Truly terrible.

Mastadon

Banned
I'm pretty sure this is the squad.

Hart
Carson Green
Ruddy

Johnson
Jones
Cahill
Lescott
Terry
Cole
Baines

Ox
Walcott
Downing
Young
ASSASSIN
Parker
Gerrard
Lampard
Milner

Rooney
Defoe
Carroll
Welbeck

How many mediocre wingers can you fit in to one squad? Good job Downing is there to raise the level a bit.

Plasma

Banned
Meh at that squad selection, might find somebody else to support, really don't want to cheer on a team with John Terry in it >_>

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
EDIT: Oh just fuck it, this squad is wank compared to what we could have going. WTF Roy?

Juve is being linked with both Van Persie and Cavani. But it seems like if it's going to be possible, it'll be either one or the other of course (but imagine both!).

I'm torn. I think both strikers have their advantages. I think Van Persie is, frankly, a better striker, and I know he'll immediately benefit from playing in front of our midfield. I think once he hits his stride in Serie A, he'll be able to easily hit 20-25 goals. But that's the problem: I'm afraid he'll take a long time to adjust. See: Huntelaar for a prolific Dutch striker who could not adjust in Serie A. Goal.com is saying Juve is out of the race because of RVP's wage demands, but if today's Arsenal talks don't go as planned, then it's game on. The guy is 28. If he's going to try another European league it might be now or never. But that's why Cavani is, in some ways, a better option. He's already a Serie A veteran with a proven goal scoring record. He's Conte's type of player, coming back to help the defence, a tireless runner, creative on and off the ball. On the other hand, Juventus has a sordid recent history of prolific strikers who come to Juve and after a year of amazing football decide that their time is best spent cleaning the hot tubs rather than scoring goals. But, we'll also have to pay out of our ass because De Laurentiis hates us.

I think, all told, we'll probably end up with Cavani and hope things work out. He's younger, he's got a national teammate in our ranks in Caceres (Elia doesn't count as a national teammate of RVP :lol) and he'll slot in perfectly into our system. But I hope we don't come to regret not going for RVP. He's just so clinical.

No Darren Bent, incredible, the best English striker left out. No Crouch either even though he scored that stunning volley against PL champions. No Joe Cole even though he had 3 great games for Lille. You guys are doomed for Euros, 'Arry wouldn't have made those mistakes.

elseanio

Confirmed, same as above

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

No Darren Bent, incredible, the best English striker left out. No Crouch either even though he scored that stunning volley against PL champions. No Joe Cole even though he had 3 great games for Lille. You guys are doomed for Euros, 'Arry wouldn't have made those mistakes.

I think Bent is injured. But yeah baffling really.

PaulLFC

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Birmingham keeper Jack Butland is among the list of five standby players, which also includes Manchester City winger Adam Johnson, Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge, Everton defender Phil Jagielka and Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson.

kharma45

No Richards, Carrick, Lennon or Sturridge - but Defoe, ultra-cunt Terry and Stewart 'no assists, no goals' Downing are in?

I'd have done the England job for nowt and done a better job.

Uhhhh. A cinema near me is showing Juventus - Napoli, Coppa Italia sunday's final, in 3D. I've hever had the chance to watch football in 3D, so I think I'll be going. Should be fantastic on a giant screen, right? Did you guys experience something like this? How was it?

Depends. Do you have a 3G phone that you can read mobileGAF on? How else are we going to cry like babies when Del Piero scores a hattrick?

Once upon a time he did. :(

Also, Cavani is younger than RVP.

Absolutely. Cavani makes a lot of sense for us, not the least of which is the fact that he can give us three extra years that RVP can't.

Still, the prospect of signing RVP is something I'd find hard to resist even for all of Cavani's virtues.

Wilbur

Banned
Should have been

Hart
Ruddy
Green

Richards
Johnson
Jones
Ferdinand
Cahill
Lescott