• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Manchester United striker Michael Owen could get chance to prolong Old Trafford career

Like Clegg said - NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Owen should take the MLS trail.

Meanwhile, preseason DDG needs to get on Hope Solo's level.

VLYfK.gif

GorillaJu

I think the point Meus was making is that if you get stomped but nick a scrappy victory, that's okay for a final, but you certainly don't want to be doing that over several legs. England won the one game against Spain, but seeing the stats would you predict them to do that well in a second encounter?

offshore

Owen is so shit, even the MLS don't want him.

I remember being so excited when he signed for Newcastle. Christ, how that feeling quickly changed. lol

It's one thing to say we beat Spain, its another to use that victory as premise to validate confidence if we were to play them again. To do that, you need to expand your perspective to more than just the score line and review the game as a whole.

20120517-q954kdbr9bs91wk4ruw1fq1j8s.jpg

Spain had enough chances in the second half to not only draw the game but to win it by a margin. When you play sides that keep the ball for the majority of the game, you need to ask yourself whether your defence can handle them. Can England's defenders be confident against Spain? I don't see how. England would need to be at their best and hope luck is on their side. To suggest that result in November act as evidence to a strength is just something beyond comprehension IMO.
I was joking yo.

(I think Bungie was too).

rodvik

I've been wondering if the Anfield cat got the sack, my heads spinning.

article-1328613284574-119D7A8A000005DC-585325_568x456.jpg

Liverpool have begun the search for a new animal to lead the club, having sacked the Anfield cat for failing to replicate the success of Paul the Octopus or Blackburns caped chicken despite heavy investment in cat toys and and mice.

anfield_cat_2.jpg

The Anfield cat was informed of the decision by John W Henry, Liverpool's principal owner, and the chairman, Tom Werner, as he prepared to go on holiday on Wednesday. The 4-year-old cat had flown to Boston for hand to fur stroking with his employers after the final game of the season at Swansea City on Sunday, a move prompted by concern at the lack of assurances over his position since Liverpool lost out on positive pet coverage during Blackburns final home game.

Ak_5RpVCMAAMIhT.jpg

Kenny Dalglish is understood to have resigned his post in solidarity with the Liverpool feline legend.

GorillaJu

article-1328613284574-119D7A8A000005DC-585325_568x456.jpg

Liverpool have begun the search for a new animal to lead the club, having sacked the Anfield cat for failing to replicate the success of Paul the Octopus or Blackburns caped chicken despite heavy investment in cat toys and and mice.

anfield_cat_2.jpg

The Anfield cat was informed of the decision by John W Henry, Liverpool's principal owner, and the chairman, Tom Werner, as he prepared to go on holiday on Wednesday. The 4-year-old cat had flown to Boston for hand to fur stroking with his employers after the final game of the season at Swansea City on Sunday, a move prompted by concern at the lack of assurances over his position since Liverpool lost out on positive pet coverage during Blackburns final home game.

Ak_5RpVCMAAMIhT.jpg

Kenny Dalglish is understood to have resigned his post in solidarity with the Liverpool feline legend.

:lol awesome.

choodi

Banned
Call me crazy, but I just have a weird feeling that Andy Carroll is going to have a fantastic Euro2012.

His form is definitely on the up and, quite frankly, most European teams will not have faced someone with his aerial prowess.

Traditional 4-4-2 looks like the only hope for England to get anywhere in this tournament.

Salazar

that git Hansen said:
In my opinion, the likes of Luis Suárez, Pepe Reina, Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger would be more likely to stay at the club under Kenny Dalglish than anybody else.

Have to confess skepticism about this one. Even considering Kenny's ritual self-sacrifice for Suarez.

I would be completely unsurprised if Pepe Reina made a move away from Liverpool over the summer.

Sounds plausible. I'm wondering how quickly Liverpool are going to grab a new manager though.

neoanarch

I would be completely unsurprised if Pepe Reina made a move away from Liverpool over the summer. Spurs would be the obvious choice if Chelsea lose the CL final, Valencia if they win.

Mastadon

Banned
I would be completely unsurprised if Pepe Reina made a move away from Liverpool over the summer. Spurs would be the obvious choice if Chelsea lose the CL final, Valencia if they win.

Honestly I wouldn't blame him. He's comfortably in the top 5 keepers in the world, probably just below John Ruddy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Zabojnik

A few photos from yesterday's J Museum inauguration. Cannot fucking wait to go there.

C_3_Media_1481367_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

C_3_Media_1481449_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481354_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481366_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

C_3_Media_1481437_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481255_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481439_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481375_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

Gaetano Scirea forever in our hearts! Greatest defender there ever was.
@@.gif

C_3_Media_1481332_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481345_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481427_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481430_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481429_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481431_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481372_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

C_3_Media_1481428_immagine_obig.jpg

C_3_Media_1481370_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

C_3_Media_1481385_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

C_3_Media_1481392_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

The fabulous Lapo Elkann ... such style!
@@.gif

lapop.jpg

Salazar

Seems like a lot of Liverpool fans want FSG to be both completely ruthless and unaccepting of failure, and overwhelmingly sentimental.

Well, you have to sort out the ones genuinely expressing a considered opinion or desire from the ones foaming dribble like:

Rafael Benitez please... with Kenny as DoF.

It has to be Benitez.

Rafa is the best unemployed manager out there right now

I would have binned Kenny earlier or would have had someone ready behind his back. Would have been phenomenally ugly.

Lightning

Banned
People will start liking us again?

I've been so lonely :(
Funny!

I really rate AVB though and thought he could have really turned Chelsea around but the Chelsea management are so fucked up it was made impossible so I really hope he gets his chance at Liverpool because the Liverpool management are a lot more friendly than the twat in charge of Chelsea.

Well, you have to sort out the ones genuinely expressing a considered opinion or desire from the ones foaming dribble like:

I would have binned Kenny earlier or would have had someone ready behind his back. Would have been phenomenally ugly.

Rafa is the best choice for me, tbf :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A few photos from yesterday's J Museum inauguration. Cannot fucking wait to go there.

The fabulous Lapo Elkann ... such style!
@@.gif

lapop.jpg

I can view all the pictures except for this one haha. Oh Lapo.. I'm sure your picture was blocked for a reason.

C_3_Media_1481366_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

I want to sleep in this room.

dc89

Please tell me you've seen Alien and Aliens?

So that's why NESV changed to FSG last year - turns out, NESV stood for New England Sports Venkys..

Probably the best thing any City fan's ever done.

If you haven't seen Alien and Aliens before, watch them first.

I have, but a few years back! Quite a few years back, I will need to refresh.

would we get the hot chelsea doctor if AVB came in? Do the owners know this?

Possibly!

Zabojnik

Tuttosport: "Verratti should take Del Piero's number 10."

Jesus Christ. What have you done, Yurt?! VERRATTIMANIAAAAAAAA!!!
Now watch him crumble and burn under pressure.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tuttosport: "Verratti should take Del Piero's number 10."

Jesus Christ. What have you done, Yurt?! VERRATTIMANIAAAAAAAA!!!
Now watch him crumble and burn under pressure.

I don't even want to think about this :( too soon :(

But giving it to a promising midfielder won't be such a bad idea, the pressure is way less on him than a striker!

Cavani can take Iaquinta's number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom