• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Rafa is the best choice for me, tbf :p

ni5sk.gif

Go German.

Lightning

Banned
We're skint. Do me a favour. "Battle City" in a money-throwing contest over the player they really, really want to sign and Arsenal really, really want sacks of money for ?
I was hoping for more positive news from the talks but I still feel confident that RVP will sign for us and be with us next season.

It will be great if we could get him to sign before the Euros though as if he gets injured during the Euros, still refuses to sign, it will deflate his transfer fee by a lot and that is concerning. Not to mention the longer this drags out we won't know about a replacement. If another Cesc/Nasri happens with RVP and that clown Walcott it will just screw us over next season as well.

This talk about us letting his contract run out must be bullshit surely? There will be huge repercussions from that as not only will it cost us a lot of money but it will draw a lot of negative attention from the media, especially when we hit bad form or RVP starts missing chances, and that will effect the rest of the squad.

dc89

I was hoping for more positive news from the talks but I still feel confident that RVP will sign for us and be with us next season.

It will be great if we could get him to sign before the Euros though as if he gets injured during the Euros, still refuses to sign, it will deflate his transfer fee by a lot and that is concerning. Not to mention the longer this drags out we won't know about a replacement. If another Cesc/Nasri happens with RVP and that clown Walcott it will just screw us over next season as well.

This talk about us letting his contract run out must be bullshit surely? There will be huge repercussions from that as not only will it cost us a lot of money but it will draw a lot of negative attention from the media, especially when we hit bad form or RVP starts missing chances, and that will effect the rest of the squad.

Lots of people asking about RVP - nothing official, but general feeling is talks did NOT go well at all.
https://twitter.com/#!/SkyGraemeBailey/status/203005217929826304

Ruh-roh!

----

Also Carrick:

Michael Carrick ruled himself out of the England squad for Euro 2012, Roy Hodgson and the FA have confirmed. http://see.sc/0bI7F9
https://twitter.com/#!/SkyGraemeBailey/status/203015891921797120

Salazar

I don't think he ruled himself out, as such.

He just said, justifiably, that picking him as a backup is absurd.

And Roy Hodgson has the mind of an amoeba if he believes that Barry, a recovering-from-injury Parker, and ostensible stalwarts Gerrard and Lampard who have done fuck all for anyone lately are better options than Carrick after the classiest season United could have asked for.

PaulLFC

And Roy Hodgson has the mind of an amoeba if he believes that Barry and a recovering-from-injury Parker are better options than Carrick after the classiest season United could have asked for.
Didn't Carrick announce his retirement yesterday?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

His replacement already signed, it's Podolski.

These RVP rumors are mental. On one hand they say City are ready to pay $250K/wk with 25 million transfer fee. On the other, they say that Arsenal offered him 3 years at $130K/wk. I mean, either of those being real is ridiculous.

If City really is offering that much, then Wenger can say goodbye if he keeps insisting on lowballing RVP with 130K/wk. Not many people can say "No" to a 110% salary increase, especially when he's going to a loaded club like City.

rodvik

Because I can't see FSG replacing one manager who's had a somewhat unsuccessful second stint with yet another former manager. If Rafa failed then it'd be a PR disaster for them because it's essentially making the same mistake twice.

Secondly there's still a section of fans who're not receptive to Rafa returning, either because they don't want to look backwards again or they weren't overly impressed with him. Or they just think we can do better, which at this point seems massively unlikely.

Out of all the serious candidates that've been proposed (Martinez, AVB, Lambart, Rogers) it's the nicely styled Portugese fellow that I'm most open to.

Rafa. I dunno man, what was it, two CL finals (you won one) an FA cup and a second place finish in the league? Win rate of 55%. Desperately wants to manage Liverpool again and is unemployed right now?

Seems to me FSG would be a bit daft to pass on him.

The likes of Martinez, Lambert & Rodgers are too risky for a club that really needs to hit CL slots next season.

I like AVB too but the truth is he couldnt do it at Chelsea with (my opinion) a better squad. AVB would require at least a couple of seasons to change the team to his style. FSG dosnt want to wait that long given this weeks sacking.

rodvik

And Roy Hodgson has the mind of an amoeba if he believes that Barry, a recovering-from-injury Parker, and ostensible stalwarts Gerrard and Lampard who have done fuck all for anyone lately are better options than Carrick after the classiest season United could have asked for.

Say what you like about the others but Barry has had a fantastic season.

PaulLFC

These RVP rumors are mental. On one hand they say City are ready to pay $250K/wk with 25 million transfer fee. On the other, they say that Arsenal offered him 3 years at $130K/wk. I mean, either of those being real is ridiculous.

If City really is offering that much, then Wenger can say goodbye if he keeps insisting on lowballing RVP with 130K/wk. Not many people can say "No" to a 110% salary increase, especially when he's going to a loaded club like City.
It's sad when £130,000 a week for a salary is considered "low". Although that's how football is these days.

ni5sk.gif

Go German.

Klopp just ain't gonna happen. He's done an astounding job at Dortmund, its beyond superlatives. But they failed in the Champions league this season, and I think he'll want to take them as far as he can before he looks elsewhere. And honestly, what does LFC have at the moment to tempt him away? Our only hope would be to attract someone who loves a challenge so much that they'd abandon a team as good as Dortmund's for our gang of shirkers.

Ushojax

Honestly wouldn't surprise me. Yet another huge downgrade typical Arsenal style.

I wouldn't worry, Gervinho and Arteta are downgrades but it didn't stop you finishing 3rd and RVP will never have another season like this one anyway. You still need another striker to replace Chamakh, though.

Arnie

Rafa. I dunno man, what was it, two CL finals (you won one) an FA cup and a second place finish in the league? Win rate of 55%. Desperately wants to manage Liverpool again and is unemployed right now?

Seems to me FSG would be a bit daft to pass on him.

The likes of Martinez, Lambert & Rodgers are too risky for a club that really needs to hit CL slots next season.

I like AVB too but the truth is he couldnt do it at Chelsea with (my opinion) a better squad. AVB would require at least a couple of seasons to change the team to his style. FSG dosnt want to wait that long given this weeks sacking.

I think you misunderstand me. I understand Rafa's cerdentials and completely agree that, in my opinion he's the most qualified candidate for the job. Simply, however, FSG will not appoint another former manager so soon. The whole thing is eerily similar to Dalglish's return, and as that ended as it did, there's not much chance of Rafa being given a look in.

I'm open to AVB though, in fact, I'm openly pushing for it. I think AVB would be given time, a season at the least to show some sign of progress. All he has to do is sell Downing and Adam and buy someone of the calibre of Mata and Meireles and he'd be starting on the front foot.

offshore

I wouldn't worry, Gervinho and Arteta are downgrades but it didn't stop you finishing 3rd and RVP will never have another season like this one anyway. You still need another striker to replace Chamakh, though.

Don't give them too much credit lol. They only finished third because you guys decided to bottle harder than Man Utd.

Lakitu

st5fu

Arsene lowballing at £130,000? lol

He'd be Arsenal's highest paid player ever. It's only City that would be able to offer him £250,000 a week. They've set a large precedent that many clubs wouldn't really be able to meet.

pappe

He'd be Arsenal's highest paid player ever. It's only City that would be able to offer him £250,000 a week. They've set a large precedent that many clubs wouldn't really be able to meet.

Considering United par Rooney 200+, Chelsea pay around 200 to their top players & City pay 200+ to many and Arsenal hopes to compete with them for the title, they HAVE to increase their wage budget and RVP is not wrong in expecting 200+. Coz he is their best player by far and Best players deserve to get best pay.

Secondly, Why should RVP not expect to get paid that much?

A player is at a club either to win trophies or to earn bags of money. Arsenal definitely arent gonna be winning trophies in the near future. So, the only real reason RVP would stay at Arsenal is that he would earn as much money as he can as he is reaching the twilight of his career. As for loyalty to the club, i dont think you can question his loyalty as he has given his best years to this club and yet the club have failed him in investing to win trophies and more over selling their best players every season.

Lightning

Banned

He'll never get those wages at arsenal, he can forget it. If that's what he wants we should terminate negotiations now and get started on transfer proceedings and getting the best price for him. He's not worth £250k no player is. That's greed and nothing more.

I understand his demand for transfers because that's fair but if he wants £200k+ wages I would rather him find another club. Yann M'Vila is supposed to be making his announcement after Rennes last match and hopefully he chooses us.

Kozak

Banned
With Marseille, who are 10th in Ligue 1. He's not had a good season.

Wow. The French League must be so terribly crap to support...

He'll never get those wages at arsenal, he can forget it. If that's what he wants we should terminate negotiations now and get started on transfer proceedings and getting the best price for him. He's not worth £250k no player is. That's greed and nothing more.

I understand his demand for transfers because that's fair but if he wants £200k+ wages I would rather him find another club. Yann M'Vila is supposed to be making his announcement after Rennes last match and hopefully he chooses us.

He didn't demand 200k+ wages.. If rumours are correct thats what City is offering.

If I didn't ask and a club offered me 250k a week wages and I'm 30 I'm taking up that offer. 250K a week is ridiculous money, any footballer would be insane not to think about such an offer unless he is Messi.

Choc

Banned

messi?

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen
The Manager informed me after our testimonial match on Tuesday that the club would not be offering me a new contract.

I have loved every minute of the 3 years I have spent at such a fantastic club.

I would like to thank the players, staff and fans for their support and wish them well for the future.

I now plan to have a short holiday during which I will contemplate my next move.

https://twitter.com/#!/themichaelowen

Take care Michael. You didn't do much, but at least your heart was always that the right place and you're a pretty decent bloke!

Arnie

Yep. Him, Pellegrino, AVB and Klopp I think.

All now in positions barring one husky looking Portugese bloke.

Have to look at it optimistically and think that because Liverpool wouldn't be paying astronomical fees for his release, because we'd only be competing at Europa League level and because of how things panned out for him at Chelsea that the hype and expectation around him would be much lower.

But then you realise that it's Liverpool, so he'd be no doubt be firmly under the microscope.

Ushojax

Owen is a twat and has a shocking injury record. I would imagine his career in England is over. Maybe he'll go to the MLS.

Owen is a twat and has a shocking injury record. I would imagine his career in England is over. Maybe he'll go to the MLS.

I don't really know about the twat bits but his injury record is really horrible. I think that's what kind of destroyed his whole career.

He could always come here to Cyprus and play for APOEL!!! ^_^ :p

Came to post about Owen. Already done I see.

Only proper for a Man Utd fan to break these kind of news, don't you think? :p

Are you guys gonna sign him so he can hang out with Hargreaves on the stands? :p

Devil

I'll be on my way to Munich (coming from Hamburg) in one hour. So damn nervous already... Let's do it!

BAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEEERN!

BREAKING FUCKING NEWS:
Düsseldorf vs. Hertha Berlin will be played again!
yeah, it's still undecided. However King Otto cannot lose just like that...
But yeah, I feel like the DFB might decide to redo the game.
I swear all the lack of carnival festivities in the Rhine region make Düsseldorf and Köln fans go a bit nuts, lol

Call me crazy, but I just have a weird feeling that Andy Carroll is going to have a fantastic Euro2012.

His form is definitely on the up and, quite frankly, most European teams will not have faced someone with his aerial prowess.

Traditional 4-4-2 looks like the only hope for England to get anywhere in this tournament.

You did say "most teams", but I feel like it's still a generalization.
For instance most of the German CBs are as tall or even taller than him (1.91):

Hummels: 1.92
Badstuber: 1.89
Mertesacker: 1.98
Boateng: 1.92
Höwedes: 1.87

And they train with God of Headers Miro Klose & the tree resembling fuck that is Mario Gomez.

Looking at your group it seems like Ukraine has a mix of tall and "regular sized" CBs & I have no idea about their first squad. But against England they might just field the tall ones.
Sweden obviously have tall CBs too, only France falls a little behind because from what I understand their tall CBs aren't in the first squad (Kaboul, Rami), but they'll probably stop you from crossing to Carroll.

tltr: out in group stage with or without Carroll, sry :p
And I'm not even that "anti-England"...that crap is only being pushed by the media anyways. I feel like the only real rivalry we have is vs. the Dutch. That one will never go away..

offshore

I think that's what kind of destroyed his whole career.

Injuries didn't help, but going to Real Madrid I think was a killer move. Then by the time he came to us he just fell off a cliff with injuries, and then developed an appalling attitude.

But it makes me feel just a tiny bit better that Liverpool won the CL the season after he left. It would have been a scandal if he'd ever have ended up with one lol.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Apparently, last year Verratti cried cause he didn't want to sign for Milan. Future capitano confirmed.

RVP wants a £250,000-a-week contract? That's a little over 13m a year..

Add on the transfer fee and you're looking at 70-80m here. Normally, for a player of his quality, it's fair. But looking at his age and injury record (I assum he's going to start in the Euros), I'd pass on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom