• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Happy Birthsday Leon Osman. The most underrated player in the PL and one of the most consistent player for us.... when played in the middle and not on the wing.

Evertons-Leon-Osman--007.jpg

Sanjay

Man United back then were pretty much unstoppable. They also consisted of mostly English players too. What a golden generation that was for England.

In general teams back then had more national players playing for their teams.

CL Final.

10 out of the starting 11 Bayern players were of German nationality, Squad 15/18 German's.

6 out of the starting 11 of Man Utd players were British. Squad 11/18 British.

they were shit for 90 minutes. unfortunately the game had 3 minutes of extra time D:

You guys were lucky Roy Keane & Paul Scholes never played if you ask me.

Fady K

D3 is fantastic. I haven't played D1 or D2 but this is great!

D1 was soooo awesome :] I loved the dark style in it. 3's style looks a lot less dark.

Definitely! Iron Man 2 is the worst for going overboard with the Avengers stuff. As you said, the ending. Loved Mickey Rourke's character but he was over and done with in minutes. I Didn't like the way they mixed Whiplash and the Crimson Dynamo either.

I really hope Ben Kingsley's role in the third film is Mandarin.. I'm really surprised he hasn't shown up at all yet.

I actually enjoyed parts of Iron Man 2 very much, but as you said - overboard, definitely. Very anticlimactic ending too :/ Kingsley would be so great. I wonder how different the the third film will be with a new director.

I am in the U.S. and in one of the most culturally bland areas of the country :/ Perspective I suppose.

Yeah it can definitely differ where you are. While Dubai and the capital, Abu Dhabi, are full of different cultures, the other Emirates are less so.

Hey Fady how is Mass Effect 2 coming on?!

I finished it bro :)! What a game! I wish the story was heavier but it wasn't bad at all. The overall package was excellent, and many, many missions were memorable! Right now I'm going through some Dead Space games for the first time (Extraction, then the iphone game, then the 2nd game :) ) What about you?

Pirlo looks like the default mage character of any fantasy game.

He really does. Now I have this fantasy of him doing cosplay. Or him running around Firenze with a Juve-themed costume.

Argentina was EMBARRASSED in the last Copa America and they were the host. Tevez was mainly to blame for that though I feel.

I thought Argentina started the campaign horribly, but I felt they did surprisingly well against the eventual winners Uruguay. Messi was *this* close to scoring the winner before extra time.

HAHA! What a video! Should have recorded a video of the reactions where I was lol!!!

I've decided I'll go see that Prometheus everyone is going on about!

Can't go on release date sadly, 4th June it is.

One of the most anticipated films of all time for me. This coming out a month before my biggest film of the year will make this summer rock!! I reaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyy hope it delivers big time.

Strong rumour going around that Lerner is flying to Norway today. Solskjaer?

His odds have crashed from 40/1 to 8/1.

If we got Solskjaer, I'd be very impressed.

This is a really really great interview with Wayne Rooney by David Winner who is an American, for ESPN. Not like most things you read and he tries to get an insight into how Rooney's mind works on the pitch.

Very highly recommended.

Beautiful Game, Beautiful Mind.

Yes, it was a good article. Honestly, watching Rooney play, it is obvious that he has an intelligent football mind.

So, had a chance to look at United's financial figures. Here are some of my thoughts.

- It is remarkable how much 1) Cash in bank 2) Performance on the pitch reflects how people perceive the results. Last year's results should have been equally as alarming, but because the team did well on the pitch and had a healthy bank balance there were by and large ignored.

- The low bank balance isn't actually a problem. As has already been mentioned, that figure will have most likely risen considerably by now...and for a long time the club had a £100m+ bank balance which, whilst not "wasted", wasn't exactly being utilised by the club. Probably to protect it's value. That money has of course been spent on...paying off the debt, and some signings.

- Whilst the gross debt is down because of approximately £30m spent in buying back bonds...net debt is actually up. The Q4 results aren't out, it'll be even more pronounced there when the failings on the pitch bite a little bit, no CL, 2nd place in PL etc.

And here is the real crux of the matter. United are still a very wealthy club who could spend quite big if they wanted to, £50m+, but it would deplete cash balances which would mean the value going into an IPO would be quite significantly lower. The Glazers are now surely desperate to float the club, I can't see them sanctioning that.

And finally, a tidbit from @andersred to show how shit our countries tax system is;

Not a #MUFC fan? Amused by Glazers? UK taxpayer? MUFC opting profit £50.7m, corporation tax paid £3.3m. Effective rate 6.5%.

Nothing has really changed too much, the loss of CL revenue will hit a little bit but not to tipping point or anything like that. The club can easily survive like this...but you can't see it surviving competitively unless the scouting network finds incredible value time and time again. The IPO is vital now.

As posted already, £70m spent this year already on the debt. Add that to a portion of the cash reserves and you could very very easily give the club a £100m transfer budget. Every. Single. Summer. But alas.

Really depressing when this day comes about every year. Still can't believe this has happened.

Edit - One last thing. As time goes on I just can't see what the endgame here is for the Glazers. They have taken something like £25m out of the club for themselves personally. This is making them very little money. What are they looking for here. All you can see is a sell on at a later date when they make a huge profit...but to who? At what value?

I bought a Utd. jersey back then (with Beckham on it), but then I stopped wearing it after he became a tabloid whore and gifted it to a Utd. loving, Nigerien exchange student a few years ago.

We're interested in signing Bendtner as a backup for Lewandowski:
Dortmund set to swoop for Arsenal striker Bendtner
Borussia Dortmund ponder move for ex-Sunderland loanee Bendtner

Ugh, but that'd mean Lewandowski stays put (for now) - so that's good.
If someone can get that get Bendtner in shape, it's Klopp.

Wilbur

Banned
Initial Public Offering. Just happened with Facebook this week. When a company becomes public and offers up shares to the people.

Ah right, cheers.

Not going to pretend I understand everything about our finances but it seems what's happening is pretty dire. Sigh. So odds are this IPO won't work out that great?

Ah right, cheers.

Not going to pretend I understand everything about our finances but it seems what's happening is pretty dire. Sigh. So odds are this IPO won't work out that great?
It all comes down to what the Glazer's value the club at.

The last time they went for it they were valuing it at almost £2bn if I remember correctly. That is just way too high, in general you don't make money by investing in football. United is one club where you potentially could, but not when you're valuing the club at that price. The Glazers need to reduce their valuation and the other problem which is out of their control is the health of the financial markets...it's not really the best time to be doing something like this.

There are more complexities too, for example when they float the club, investors will want to buy "voting" shares which means they essentially have some kind of influence over the club in return for the money they are investing. Unsure whether the Glazers will be willing to do that...and so the incentive to invest is much reduced. You put your money into a business where making money is a tough thing to do...and then get no say about it?

It could work and if it does it'd be a significant help to the club...but it's not a clear path by any means.

Another bit of bad news for United fans today. The new "Singing Section" at Old Trafford is being postponed for a year. Local council and police want some more assurances about moving the away fans up to Tier 3 I think. Lame.

Clegg

27 and he's got over 300 goals? Wow.

Thanks for that Viva, understand it a bit better now. Like you say, I don't really get their endgame.

He doesn't. He has over 300 appearances, not goals.

And the Glazers should be valuing United at around £1b-1.25b for an IPO to gain any real traction. It would also help if the financial markets weren't in such an awful state.

Wilbur

Banned
He doesn't. He has over 300 appearances, not goals.

And the Glazers should be valuing United at around £1b-1.25b for an IPO to gain any real traction. It would also help if the financial markets weren't in such an awful state.

Oh haha. Meh.

Clegg

Presumably the amount that United pay in interest will decrease now that overall debt has been reduced.

At least that's a silver lining.

Pazzini is apparently looking a potential move out of Inter given Milito's newfound form, and the fact that Stram seems to favour Zarate over Pazzini anyways.

Curious to see where he goes. He's highly rated, albeit nowhere near the Cavani/RVP/Dzeko level that we seem to be targeting. Probably better than Matri as a poacher, although Matri is more mobile and can play with the ball at the edge of the box. Same with Quagliarella, who I still rate as our best striker at the moment in terms of pure class and quality.

But I would say that if Cavani and RVP fall through, Pazzini wouldn't be a bad option.

dc89

I finished it bro :)! What a game! I wish the story was heavier but it wasn't bad at all. The overall package was excellent, and many, many missions were memorable! Right now I'm going through some Dead Space games for the first time (Extraction, then the iphone game, then the 2nd game :) ) What about you?

Good to hear you finished it. I can't bring myself round to play ME3 for some reason. I must play the Dead Space games, never have!

But atm I really want to try and play some Dark Souls or something. Never played that either!

---

Question to United GAF:

Do you know any United fan's who blame Fergie for the Glazers take over and stripping the club of cash? I am only asking this because I know he fell out with the previous owners and that sped up the purchasing of the club.

It would be interesting to know.

faridmon

Ooh, Moyes is going to discuss about his contract with the board and hopes for a liitle more funding this summer.

This could get either very sweet or very ugly. Fingers crossed!

http://i.imgur.com/pIC0S.png[IMG]

[B]Hint[/B]: Goals scored.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's just
[IMG]http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/news/img/151653.jpg

:D

Right now Galliani is talking to Maxi's agent, trying to lower the price from 8M to 5M plus Donnarumma. Which would be quite sad, Donnarumma is one of our best primavera players and the one set to substitute Abbiati when he'll leave.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Maxi for 8M is crazy! Galliani is being nice here by signing him to be honest. Might as well save that money for a better striker.
Pazzini is apparently looking a potential move out of Inter given Milito's newfound form, and the fact that Stram seems to favour Zarate over Pazzini anyways.

Curious to see where he goes. He's highly rated, albeit nowhere near the Cavani/RVP/Dzeko level that we seem to be targeting. Probably better than Matri as a poacher, although Matri is more mobile and can play with the ball at the edge of the box. Same with Quagliarella, who I still rate as our best striker at the moment in terms of pure class and quality.

But I would say that if Cavani and RVP fall through, Pazzini wouldn't be a bad option.
Juve won't take Pazzini even if he was the last striker on earth. He said no once ;)

Seep

Ooh, Moyes is going to discuss about his contract with the board and hopes for a liitle more funding this summer.

This could get either very sweet or very ugly. Fingers crossed!

I heard a rumour Kenwright snagged the tip jar from the Rovers Return recently, so you could be in luck!

GQman2121

Banned
Good to hear you finished it. I can't bring myself round to play ME3 for some reason. I must play the Dead Space games, never have!

But atm I really want to try and play some Dark Souls or something. Never played that either!

The original Dead Space get's old rather quickly. The environments for many of the levels seem to repeat over and over again.

They do a few things that keep it interesting, but on the whole, it's a very average action shooter. Also, the camera angle will cause you to die numerous times, as you won't be able to see what's either attacking you or what you're suppose to be shooting at.

Brilliant visuals and sound design though. Some of the best this generation. If you can play in the dark and crank up the surround sound, I'd say it's worth checking out, but for no more than £10.

dc89

The original Dead Space get's old rather quickly. The environments for many of the levels seem to repeat over and over again.

They do a few things that keep it interesting, but on the whole, it's a very average action shooter. Also, the camera angle will cause you to die numerous times, as you won't be able to see what's either attacking you or what you're suppose to be shooting at.

Brilliant visuals and sound design though. Some of the best this generation. If you can play in the dark and crank up the surround sound, I'd say it's worth checking out, but for no more than £10.

Sounds good. I'll keep a eye out for a deal online. I have a £3 off promo code for Zaavi.

Maxi for 8M is crazy! Galliani is being nice here by signing him to be honest. Might as well save that money for a better striker.
Who?

I'd keep Maxi, he showed that he actually cares about Milan, plus when he played he did pretty good. But yeah, 8M is too much, Galliani probably was sure to let him go during the summer when he signed him back in January.

It also seems that Traorè may go out on loan somewhere else, if we keep Aquilani. Brilliant move, we don't need a midfield.

dc89

Today sucks

Had an offer on the house but it's lower than we can accept, 10% off asking price, is that the norm?

So they have offered 10% lower than the price you want. That sounds about right in terms of they are testing the water.*

*This is not legal financial advice.

Nah but 10% less doesn't give us quite enough equity for what we need.

First offer in 5 months though so its tempting still, cash sale so they want to do it quick

Wes

venison crêpe
Updated rumour:

Lerner sent his plane to Norway, he wasn't on board. Press conference expected to be called for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom