• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to United GAF:

Do you know any United fan's who blame Fergie for the Glazers take over and stripping the club of cash? I am only asking this because I know he fell out with the previous owners and that sped up the purchasing of the club.

It would be interesting to know.
Yep.

Or then for backing the Glazers and coming out with the "they're brilliant owners" crap.

Zabojnik

But I would say that if Cavani and RVP fall through, Pazzini wouldn't be a bad option.

Secco, is that you?

Why, fade, why would you wish us this pippa immonda of a striker? Alright, alright, he's not that bad. Could be pretty decent, actually, in the right context. But seriously, if we're looking to buy a WC striker, then Pazzini can't be a real option. Please. :(

I am fairly sure Lionel Messi is the highest paid player in the world, just on basic wage.

Edit - He earns $21m dollars before his bonus, which is £250k a week. Ronaldo is on something similar.

rififi

Some rumour news - Real Madrid interested in Yaya Toure.

Yaya's agent:
"El Madrid está interesado en Touré, como otros equipos, pero el Madrid le quiere y nosotros estamos abiertos a todas las proposiciones. A Mourinho le gusta Yayá y a Yayá le gusta Mourinho"

"Madrid is interested in Toure, like other clubs, but Madrid wants him and we are open to all offers. Mourinho likes Yaya, and Yaya likes Mourinho

Presumebly announcing Solskjaer as our next manager. I imagine we'll know more around 7pm when all stories like this seem to get discussed in mainstream media.

You mean the non United/Liverpool stories?

I'm excited if Solskjaer is our manager, how do you feel about it?

It's sickening to think I would have to work until I was 40ish to earn what he make in a week.

Wilbur

Banned
Presumebly announcing Solskjaer as our next manager. I imagine we'll know more around 7pm when all stories like this seem to get discussed in mainstream media.

Interesting appointment if true, but it's a good one; he's done well in Norway. I really hope he'd do a good job.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Secco, is that you?

Why, fade, why would you wish us this pippa immonda of a striker? Alright, alright, he's not that bad. Could be pretty decent, actually, in the right context. But seriously, if we're looking to buy a WC striker, then Pazzini can't be a real option. Please. :(

Giving money to Inter can't be a real option.

Nice avatar! Random fact: Omar is almost as tall as Verratti.

I really hope that City looking into M'Vila is wrong, Starting to look like they're just following our scouts around and then offering more money to players we want.

dc89

JZdwH.png

Fighting for Champions League place.

I am not proud of this by the way :p

Wilbur

Banned
Messi earns in a week what most people earn in 15-20 years. That's really depressing if you think about it.

Not only Messi tho, pro football players in general.

It's a disgrace, but I've given up moaning about it. Just a given in the sport now. Non-entity players being on 5 grand a week are making quarter of a million a year before tax. It's absurd.

Secco, is that you?

Consider the manner in which we've scored our goals this term: predominantly balls set up by our strikers and knocked in from around the area by our midfield, and balls over the top by Pirlo. Pazzini is perfectly capable of holding up the ball--I think in our recent history he'd be second only to Luca Toni who is an absolute master at the game--and converting scoring opportunities when given the ball in space in front of goal. The problem always came from when we expected Vucinic to create everything like a trequartista, which he clearly isn't. Pazzini isn't a world class striker, of course, but if he can bag fifteen goals then what more can we ask for? In any case, if he links up with Giovinco we'll have a real flash back to Sampdoria with Pazzini's deadly partnership with Cassano.

It isn't as bad an option as you think. That said, I'd still rather keep Borriello--he's cheaper and they'd effectively play the same role.

But no, of course not, he isn't my top choice. If I was Marotta, and given who could possibly be available, and given the type of game we play, I'd be looking at players in this order:

RVP, Cavani, Torres, Suarez. Llorente would be there as well, but he's more of a typical target man and he's not really what we're after. Only after that would I consider Pazzini, and in any case I'd rather play Immobile. He's our future, guys.

I'm hoping to see this next year:

-----------RVP(or)Cavani/Matri----------------
Giovinco/Vucinic--------------Dszudzsak/Elia
--------------------------------------------------
-----Marchisio/Marrone-------Vidal/Pogba----
------------------Pirlo/Verratti------------------
Chiellini/PDC------------Lichtsteiner/Caceres
-----Bonucci/Sorensen--Barzagli/Caceres---
-----------------Buffon/Storari-----------------

Probably keep Giaccherini, Pepe, Quagliarella, Borriello, Immobile, and Giandonato floating around there as well fighting for space early in the season.

Okay, back to work now :p

Meier

It's a disgrace, but I've given up moaning about it. Just a given in the sport now. Non-entity players being on 5 grand a week are making quarter of a million a year before tax. It's absurd.

NBA players who sit on the bench for years are making millions. It's pretty nutty, I actually think footballers are almost underpaid by comparison.

I really hope that City looking into M'Vila is wrong, Starting to look like they're just following our scouts around and then offering more money to players we want.

Have you ever played Football Manager? That's a legit strategy! :)

Was gonna post it, but I knew everyone here was going to comment on the terrible D over the goal =P
Heh they probably will but nonetheless that is just a ridiculous strike. As it came over to him I thought it was going in the other corner, but nope, near post, amazing.

Facism

just watched the Turkish Cup final highlights.

Alex with 3 assists and 1 goal. Why didn't you play him from the start against Galatasaray, Mr Kocaman :< :< :< :<

Shame he's only really got a season left in him.

Zabojnik

-----------RVP(or)Cavani/Matri----------------
Giovinco/Vucinic--------------Dszudzsak/Elia
-----Marchisio/Marrone-------Vidal/Pogba----
------------------Pirlo/Verratti------------------
Chiellini/PDC------------Lichtsteiner/Caceres
-----Bonucci/Sorensen--Barzagli/Caceres---
-----------------Buffon/Storari-----------------

Probably keep Giaccherini, Pepe, Quagliarella, Borriello, Immobile, and Giandonato floating around there as well fighting for space early in the season.

Yeah, that'd be a great squad. Still think we need a world-class CB as well, though.

Lol, I finally get what always bothered me about your avatar, fade. Pirlo's mullet. :p Get a haircut, you hippy! Bonus avatar for yurt.

pirlofade.png
alexyurt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom