• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

QjkmT.gif

igIAkvCGeN9pf.gif

faridmon

I would expect the Man U fans to spell Solskjær's name correctly in the very least.

*shakes head*

Anyway, I am glad to see him at Villa. As I said, I like the club and as a Norwegian citizen, I am glad that I can meet him face to face when I am over there in Birmingham.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
My dad keeps freaking out saying he knows Chelsea will win tomorrow but the more I think about it the more I think they'll lose. I don't think they were defensively solid against Napoli or Benfica, and while they defended stoutly against Barcelona, Barca were just shit in the penalty area over the two legs. They had the chances to make it embarassing for Chelsea as did Napoli and Benfica.

Plus without Ramires, Chelsea will have minimal pace in the front 6, Mata is slow and can become peripheral at times, only Kalou will offer a breakaway threat but he's Kalou. Ramires was absolutely crucial in both their Barcelona wins and their win in the FA Cup final.

Without Terry and Ivanovic they will lose not only defensive strength but danger at set plays as well. Of course anything can happen in a final but I think Chelsea will have to turn in a faultless performance and I don't think they have done that once in the CL this season. Bayern have their faults as well and I think will they will probably be more vulnerable defensively than Chelsea, however they have vastly more pace on the counter-attack and they have Ted Danson up front.

Basically it's up to Drogba to pull something out of his ass and get the party started, like he did against Spurs and Barcelona.

Hixx

I would expect teh Man U fans to spell Solskjær's name correctly in the very least.

*shakes head*

Anyway, I am glad to see him at Villa. As I said, I like the club and as a Narwegian citizen, I am glad that I can met him face to face when I am over there in Birmingham.

Oh farid.

I like the one Wes is wearing
The middle one's the nicest I think.

That makes 3 of us. Now to find my card.

Fry

the rock <3

oh fry, im dying here :/ i can see myself going to bed very early today, so we finally have saturday -_-

Just relax, go play MGS or something, you'll see the day flying by.
I have to sleep + go to class + sleep and watch the final, basically. So I'll try sleeping a lot. :p

pappe

My dad keeps freaking out saying he knows Chelsea will win tomorrow but the more I think about it the more I think they'll lose. I don't think they were defensively solid against Napoli or Benfica, and while they defended stoutly against Barcelona, Barca were just shit in the penalty area over the two legs. They had the chances to make it embarassing for Chelsea as did Napoli and Benfica.

Plus without Ramires, Chelsea will have minimal pace in the front 6, Mata is slow and can become peripheral at times, only Kalou will offer a breakaway threat but he's Kalou. Ramires was absolutely crucial in both their Barcelona wins and their win in the FA Cup final.

Without Terry and Ivanovic they will lose not only defensive strength but danger at set plays as well. Of course anything can happen in a final but I think Chelsea will have to turn in a faultless performance and I don't think they have done that once in the CL this season. Bayern have their faults as well and I think will they will probably be more vulnerable defensively than Chelsea, however they have vastly more pace on the counter-attack and they have Ted Danson up front.

Basically it's up to Drogba to pull something out of his ass and get the party started, like he did against Spurs and Barcelona.

Bayern will beat Chelsea by the biggest ever margin in a UCL final. You heard it hear first folks.

Mastadon

Banned

rLZOC.jpg

Blablurn

Bayern will beat Chelsea by the biggest ever margin in a UCL final. You heard it hear first folks.

haha. i would be happy with a plain 1:0.

i hope i didnt bug anyone here with my nervousness. i think my friends already hate me because i'm just talking about bayern all day. bayern here, bayern there.

BAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEERN everywhere.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

lol

Of course I wrote all that being a Spurs fan. In sure Chelsea fans could come up with something completely opposite.

Wow, there was a lot of movement in this thread overnight.

Solksjaer has me incredibly excited and I really want the appointment to be made official. I wish there was somewhere I could bet. Stupid American gambling laws.

I hope he is given some money to spend as well. He can probably attract a few players we may not normally be able to given who he is.

Meier

R.e. Hazard to United for £45m

Not to say that it won't come to fruition, but agents and selling clubs must LOVE twitter. Easily prop up the value of a player in the blink of an eye if a bidding war is underway.

I forgot about our interest in Higuain. I'd put him right behind Cavani as the striker we should purchase. I can agree that he isn't EXACTLY the type of player we need (Cavani, in his current form, is exactly what we need), but it's hard to argue against a proven striker with a great record. Granted, that's in La Liga which as far as defences go are far less organized than Serie A. But put him in Matri's place and he'll finish two-three times the chances Alejandro does.

Edit: Watching Gazzetta's video of our goals from the season. I got to say, Matri scored some real lovely goals for all the chances he failed to put away in the second half of the season. I really do think he's fantastic.

Clegg

Yeah I think that United have basically pulled out of the Hazard race.

We're too busy trying to sign Kagawa and tap up Gaitan.

Meier

You're doing it damn right! Get the album, you won't be disappointed.

Listen to this man, it's a classic. I would say unequivocally that it is one of the best albums of 2011. Immensely listenable from top to bottom.. not much in the way of a weak track on it.

Great video btw! During the parade, MCFC.tv had a little recap video they played that had the goals (both the good guys as well as occasionally the bad) of all the matches in the season. Pretty cool.

kottila

the filthy rich guy who's been sponsoring Molde for years, is stopping his financial support of the club at the end of the year, so that's possibly one of the reasons for why Solskjær might be leaving the club before he has accomplished what he set out to do

Wilbur

Banned
Edy Reja's quit Lazio. So both Rome jobs available; I'd say Montella will leave Catania and go back to Roma, but dunno about Lazio.

I hope we give you Keane or Petrucci Who Flames Gently Like a Newborn God on loan.

They will probably go Championship, though.

Good thinking, 99. Tunnicliffe's already come off a good Championship loan...

Time to sell Macheda, though. Will Keane is already a better footballer than he'll ever be.

Clegg

I'm still not sure about Tunnicliffe. He seems like a right dirty bastard. More Lee Cattermole than Roy Keane.

Petrucci might be a decent player eventually. He would probably benefit from going out on loan though.

pappe

Wow, there was a lot of movement in this thread overnight.

Solksjaer has me incredibly excited and I really want the appointment to be made official. I wish there was somewhere I could bet. Stupid American gambling laws.

I hope he is given some money to spend as well. He can probably attract a few players we may not normally be able to given who he is.

I am pretty sure you can get a few United youngsters and players we want to offload. You could end up getting Berba!!! :eek:

Choc

Banned
Oh, and since the Olympics Final will be taking place at Wembley the day prior to the FA Community Shield, the Community Shield is now being held at Villa Park.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2776262,00.html

Pretty cool.

wow including the Euros we really wont have a football break will we

Also BIG thing about tommorows Championship playoff

Both Leyton Orient and West Ham have permission from two leagues to use the Olympic Stadium after the olympics as their home ground.

Premier League has given permission to West Ham (They were in the PL at the time) and Football League to Leyton

If west ham go up to the PL, they will assume the stadium as PL > FL in rulings apparently on this. If they do not, Leyton Orient gets the stadium.

Thats a big big thing

fuenf

Holy shit, anyone remember that Düsseldorf - Hertha relegation playoff? Well today the German Sports Court probes the case and referee Wolgang Stark gave an eyetwitness report about the events after the game:

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/dfb/darum-geht-es-heute-vor-dem-sportgericht-24206712.bild.html

Rough translation of the most important points:
  • Hertha's Mijatovic called Stark a wanker.
  • Hertha's Lell grabbed Stark's arm and called him a coward and a pig.
  • Kobiaschwili tried to hit Stark in the face but Stark ducked away and Kobiaschwili's fist only connected with the back of his head. Stark lost his balance but luckily he could grab a handrail as otherwise he would've fallen down a flight of stairs. Stark still suffered a hematoma as a result that had to be treated.
  • 4 to 5 Hertha Berlin players followed Stark and tried to charge into his dressing room.
  • The referees had to hold the doors of the dressing room so that the Hertha players couldnt enter. Someone called him an asshole
  • Stark has never seen anything like that, he says that he was in fear and close to tears.

Guess even Joey Barton could learn a thing or two from the Hertha players. ;) Wonder if his agent already offered him to Hertha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom